Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Local lockdowns now look inevitable here. This seems to be trend elsewhere..
    Why do they look inevitable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

1 case having an 8 day wait out of the 5000 referrals per day is not a major issue.

Ah sure it will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Sorry I mean yours? I'm wondering why you are trying to push a narrative that it's not a real virus / the CMO is an overlord.

My top guess revolves around your current circumstances. I'd be pissed if my fortunes changed due to this virus.

I might even bring up some poor dead man and her grieving wife in an attempt to turn people against the man I hold responsible for my current predicament.

I've been WFH and am now back in the office, financially fine as I didn't waste money the past few months and no salary or hours cuts. Honestly I wouldn't mind getting out spending some cash.

But again, deflecting and vague statements typical of those that cannot accept we have beaten the virus in Ireland, as reflected in our data and in comments by TH and Co. Look at ICU numbers and hospital numbers, quotes from TH about it being effectively extinguished and the data on new cases then come back and tell me that you think we still have a crisis in Ireland. You won't, you'll go off on tangents again and conflate my lack of ignorance with making generalisations and sweeping, pointless statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Goldengirl wrote: »
    May ..likely... as with SARS...truth is noone knows what the longterm health effects will be yet , good or bad .
    Kidney damage in the young also , but again can only guess at what it will be longterm .

Apart from the ones who needed a lung transplant..

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

But again, deflecting and vague statements typical of those that cannot accept we have beaten the virus in Ireland, as reflected in our data and in comments by TH and Co. Look at ICU numbers and hospital numbers, quotes from TH about it being effectively extinguished and the data on new cases then come back and tell me that you think we still have a crisis in Ireland. You won't, you'll go off on tangents again and conflate my lack of ignorance with making generalisations and sweeping, pointless statements.

Were you able to ascertain the virus army was shot in the head and all remaining surrendered?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I've been WFH and am now back in the office, financially fine as I didn't waste money the past few months and no salary or hours cuts. Honestly I wouldn't mind getting out spending some cash.

Good man. I don't like you using the woman and her dead husband as much as you don't like Dr Tony doing it. (I'm not aware of that so apologies)

You do realise it started with a few cases. It stopped because we made hard choices and stopped it's spread. Every country that has "opened" up has seen a resurgence. It might take awhile but it will.

Happy to leave it there. No tangent.

SeaBreezes wrote: »

If you are relying on some light quotes from one doctor in Cork to now create more fear about the virus then why not believe this report from doctors in Italy who were at the epicentre of the crisis and claimed the strength of the virus had weakened. At least the Italian doctors can point to data showing stabilisation to claim they were not wrong (of course correlation is not causation) which is more than that Cork doctor can point to.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hopefully the airport can be very strict on enforcing measures otherwise we unfortunately have great potential to see an increase in travel related cases. I travel a lot with work and my usual opinion is that a lot of people leave their brains at the door as soon as they enter an airport. No time for that **** this time.

Ive been in the same boat as you and people ‘DO’ tend to leave their brains at the door at airports, too many. I’m really intrigued how they can have efficient and effective distancing during security screening.

Wewillwin wrote: »
    Just to thank the posters like Acitizenerased, stephenmcjd and a few others for their updates, positivity and level headed posts.

God knows the last few months have been so so hard for so many people.

We have a tough road ahead still but I think we can believe there are better days ahead and we can have our lives back again.

This virus has had a terrible cost in lives and in the impact it has had on how we live our lives.

Huge progress has been made in Ireland and around Europe in the last 6/7 weeks especially.

Hopefully this progress can continue in the second half of 2020 and lead us in to a brighter, happier 2021 and beyond.

One would have to question why posters such as kermit and cork boy are allowed to troll this thread in the way they do.

Maybe it is something the mods need to look at?

518570.jpg

Renjit wrote: »
    Were you able to ascertain the virus army was shot in the head and all remaining surrendered?

Yawn. There's nothing to engage with here.

• Advertisement

Just to thank the posters like Acitizenerased, stephenmcjd and a few others for their updates, positivity and level headed posts.

We have a tough road ahead still but I think we can believe there are better days ahead and we can have our lives back again.

This virus has had a terrible cost in lives and in the impact it has had on how we live our lives.

Huge progress has been made in Ireland and around Europe in the last 6/7 weeks especially.

Hopefully this progress can continue in the second half of 2020 and lead us in to a brighter, happier 2021 and beyond.

One would have to question why posters such as kermit and cork boy are allowed to troll this thread in the way they do.

welcome to boards...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The US has reported a record 47,451 cases with some states yet to report.

If you are relying on some light quotes from one doctor in Cork to now create more fear about the virus then why not believe this report from doctors in Italy who were at the epicentre of the crisis and claimed the strength of the virus had weakened. At least the Italian doctors can point to data showing stabilisation to claim they were not wrong (of course correlation is not causation) which is more than that Cork doctor can point to.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

?? Worlds first lung transplants in both China and USA in the last 3 months?
    All because COVID19 left young 20 somethings lungs in ribbons?
    We were discussing this here months ago?

Trump is on the case. Word is it's going to just disappear, I hope.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1278405761077477376?s=20

Why would it not disappear on its own? Trump is an idiot and they're not in a good place but the definitive statement that it is not gonna disappear on its own isn't necessarily true.

Side point: that journalist is probably one of those people that make a living commenting on Trump tweets and interviews about how much of an idiot he is in complete ignorance to the fact he depends on the idiot for his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Absolutely right about them posters! I always do my best in replying against their crap posts, but I end up with more yellow cards than Joey Barton had in his football career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The US has reported a record 47,451 cases with some states yet to report.

It's probably a bit unfair that USA is getting so much slack right now because of high testing, when in actual fact it is a good thing not a bad one. Deaths continue to plateau, so it's unlikely that cases are in reality growing exponentially as the new case numbers suggest. The continued plateau in deaths is because most Americans do continue to engage in social distancing, wear masks,and other hygiene measures etc.Most Americans are not acting as the media suggest, those people giving out about face masks and civil liberties are rather uncommon I would imagine.

And you might say well the virus might be naturally subsiding and that is the reason for the plateau in deaths regardless of whether Americans continue to remain concerned about the spread, but I don't think so because in countries such as Brazil and Mexico where truly no ****s are being given deaths continue to climb or remain at high levels , and they are also much younger countries than USA. If Brazil or Mexico were testing as much as the US they'd probably be reporting hundreds of thousands of cases daily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Florida has a 15% test positivity rate AND they slowed down testing. Which means that their high numbers right now are not even close to reflecting the actual infection rate. For comparison, today our positivity rate was 0.1%.

I wonder what the infection rate is in Brazil. According to Worldometers (at the time of posting), 3,070,447 tests done and 1,453,369 infections detected.. so that's a 47.3% positivity rate from their tests. The true numbers must be massively bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It's probably a bit unfair that USA is getting so much slack right now because of high testing, when in actual fact it is a good thing not a bad one. Deaths continue to plateau, so it's unlikely that cases are in reality growing exponentially as the new case numbers suggest. The continued plateau in deaths is because most Americans do continue to engage in social distancing, wear masks,and other hygiene measures etc.Most Americans are not acting as the media suggest, those people giving out about face masks and civil liberties are rather uncommon I would imagine.

And you might say well the virus might be naturally subsiding and that is the reason for the plateau in deaths regardless of whether Americans continue to remain concerned about the spread, but I don't think so because in countries such as Brazil and Mexico where truly no ****s are being given deaths continue to climb or remain at high levels , and they are also much younger countries than USA. If Brazil or Mexico were testing as much as the US they'd probably be reporting hundreds of thousands of cases daily

Except its not accurate, the UK for example, has done 50% more tests per capita than the USA and it has half of the cases per capita. There are plenty of possible reasons why deaths are lower

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »

Excellent article thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,113 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Well yes obviously . Not denying the issue just saying we don't know all the details of this illness yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

bb1234567 wrote: »

possible answer
    https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/07/about-30-covid-deaths-may-not-be-classified-such

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭MOR316

Must admit, I cried tears of happiness today.

To be able to go and sit by the sea again, after all this time was a big thing for me. I missed it so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The US State of Arizona just announced they had a 28.3% positivity rate over the past 24 hours. For comparison, our positivity rate was 0.1%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,113 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Excellent article thank you.

Yes been a few cases of viral meningitis in young people where they tested negative for Covid .
    Would be interesting to know if they tested the spinal fluid for Covid also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

So does anyone know down in Cork are you going to be manufacturing Veklury there in Gilead?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

speckle wrote: »
    So does anyone know down in Cork are you going to be manufacturing Veklury there in Gilead?

Dunno but is the government gonna stop any external shipments of it if they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Goldengirl wrote: »
    And the box will be very basic , with nocoverart .

That was very good, I’ll put you in the DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

speckle wrote: »

Under his eye. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement