Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

196,901 was the global tally of cases for the 1st July.

Not to be dramatic, just an exercise in empathy but just imagine if that one at the end was you.

https://www.thejournal.ie/kerry-coronavirus-patient-recovery-michael-prendergast-5137244-Jun2020/
    Here is 28 year old Michael Prendergast to us to let us know how he's getting on since mid-March when he first contacted this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/28/screen-survivors-of-covid-19-for-ptsd-say-mental-health-experts
    So there goes the "reopen for mental health" argument. You are likely to get severe PTSD from the mortal fear you experience being unable to breathe, and as somebody who has been to hospital with an asthma attack I experienced three years ago I can tell you suffocating slowly is no fucking joke.

Asthma sufferers can avail of free Covid packs at some pharmacies now and there's a Whatsapp you can contact to start managing your asthma better: 086 059 0132

Info from here -
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-pharmacies-offering-free-covid-18408967

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Renjit wrote: »
    28 WEEKS LATER

It's about that long is right, about 32 weeks if you go the whole way back to patient zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

ixoy wrote: »
    Why do they look inevitable?

To manage the localised outbreaks - if I catch it then my household will be in lockdown?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Dunno but is the government gonna stop any external shipments of it if they do?

Thankfully our numbers are low enough that we would only need about 33 units today...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

hmmm wrote: »
    On the point about funerals - there are few bigger hotspots I can think of. Indoor wakes with lots of hugging and kissing. Extended time indoors. Shaking hands. Rows of elderly people lining up. In a superspreading event this virus would rip through a typical Irish funeral.
    Also tears, wiping your eyes, another avenue of infection..
    Not an immediate issue, but if we started importing many more cases, it would be.

Do you think the average age of deaths "with" covid being higher than the average age of deaths in Ireland generally is irrelevant?
    Toy example, actuarial tables and covid death rates not consulted, but illustrates why higher average age of death can't necessarily be hailed as a good thing:

Group A (no coronavirus), persons aged: 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75.
    During test period, 40 and 70 die, average age 55.
    Group B (with coronavirus), persons aged: 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75.
    During test period, 40, 65, 70 and 75 die, average age 62.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah sure it will be grand.
    It's 0.0002% of cases and it is grand. If there's actually nothing to be outraged about then why not make something up?!

Said this since march. Well done for raising it though. They are still getting infected. Must be horrible to be accused of being lax when the equipment itself is substandard.
    A healthcare worker is anyone in a healthcare setting and it's not just hospitals. How do you know how they contracted it? People have been infected in other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

is_that_so wrote: »
    A healthcare worker is anyone in a healthcare setting and it's not just hospitals. How do you know how they contracted it? People have been infected in other locations.

88% of healthcare workers with COVID-19 got the virus at work, according to official figures presented to the INMO.

The HPSC figures run until May 30th. Excluding cases which are unknown/under investigation, they show:

- 88% got the virus in a healthcare setting as staff
    - 4% from contact with a confirmed case
    - 3% from travel
    - 3% from community transmission
    - 1% from a healthcare setting as patients.

Of the 8,018 cases of infected healthcare workers in the figures, 2,551 are under investigation without a known source of transmission. Those cases are 32% of all healthcare worker cases and not included in the above percentages.

Overall, healthcare workers make up a third of all COVID positive cases in Ireland. Nurses make up a third of those – the largest single group of workers infected.

https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13594

Ficheall wrote: »
    Also tears, wiping your eyes, another avenue of infection..
    Not an immediate issue, but if we started importing many more cases, it would be.

Toy example, actuarial tables and covid death rates not consulted, but illustrates why higher average age of death can't necessarily be hailed as a good thing:

Group A (no coronavirus), persons aged: 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75.
    During test period, 40 and 70 die, average age 55.
    Group B (with coronavirus), persons aged: 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75.
    During test period, 40, 65, 70 and 75 die, average age 62.5.

What some also fail to understand is that even deaths above the average life expectancy bring the overall life expectancy down for the country. Without covid some of these may have lived 6 months, 1 years, 5 years plus more, and each of those "compensate" for those who die early

88% of healthcare workers with COVID-19 got the virus at work, according to official figures presented to the INMO.

The HPSC figures run until May 30th. Excluding cases which are unknown/under investigation, they show:

- 88% got the virus in a healthcare setting as staff
    - 4% from contact with a confirmed case
    - 3% from travel
    - 3% from community transmission
    - 1% from a healthcare setting as patients.

Of the 8,018 cases of infected healthcare workers in the figures, 2,551 are under investigation without a known source of transmission. Those cases are 32% of all healthcare worker cases and not included in the above percentages.

Overall, healthcare workers make up a third of all COVID positive cases in Ireland. Nurses make up a third of those – the largest single group of workers infected.

https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13594
    Do you actually have anything else to offer bar repeat posting the same data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I see the WHO admitting they couldn't have predicted a pandemic ever happening:
    Six months ago, none of us could have imagined how our world – and our lives – would be thrown into turmoil by this new virus.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---29-june-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

wadacrack wrote: »

So this idiot says that they didnt have Coronavirus in the 1990's, is this some sort of hardman rapper statement, because its here now you monumental geebag

Jesus H Christ

Shin

schmoo2k wrote: »
    There have been repeated warnings of pandemics since the 1990s, none of which have come anyway close to the scale of this. I don't think anyone imagined it, but that's not to say the WHO don't have a lot of questions to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't think anyone imagined it

Of course they did, but no one was listening.

I have literally read dozens of articles over the years telling us exactly what would happen and how it would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

wadacrack wrote: »

Well he has only one song so the concert will be over in about 3 minutes.

Boggles wrote: »
    Of course they did, but no one was listening.

I have literally read dozens of articles over the years telling us exactly what would and how it would happen.
    Sure, but it's hard to be convinced when it never arrives or if it does, like Swine flu, it's nothing like as bad as imagined. Until this came along we mostly had a lot of (bad) fiction and more than a hint of someone crying wolf. What we've learnt from this is how badly prepared we were overall to face one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MOR316 wrote: »
    Must admit, I cried tears of happiness today.

To be able to go and sit by the sea again, after all this time was a big thing for me. I missed it so much!

Delighted for you, I remember in another thread you said your one enjoyment in life was to be able to sit out somewhere by the sea and enjoy some food and a drink as it was your own break away from every day life.

Delighted you can do that again now. Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

It's officially over. The virus is beaten. So who is up for celebration in St Stephen's Green?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So it appears that in recent days 2 clusters have inflated our figures. The cluster in Sligo of 14 and now it comes to light a cluster of 20

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/almost-20-members-of-one-family-infected-after-covid-memorial-gathering-39333751.html

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

So it appears that in recent days 2 clusters have inflated our figures. The cluster in Sligo of 14 and now it comes to light a cluster of 20

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/almost-20-members-of-one-family-infected-after-covid-memorial-gathering-39333751.html

That's fine. The show must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tony mentioned the other night about a cluster of twenty I assumed he was referring to Sligo.

Sure, but it's hard to be convinced when it never arrives or if it does, like Swine flu, it's nothing like as bad as imagined. Until this came along we mostly had a lot of (bad) fiction and more than a hint of someone crying wolf. What we've learnt from this is how badly prepared we were overall to face one.

Well that's a separate argument to your first one of "on one could have predicted".

As for when it "never arrives" once in a generation pandemics by their nature take time.

Governments for decades have been told that what is happening today was going to happen, they even prepared for it.

Well woefully under prepared for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

US reported record 52,898 new cases in the last 24 hours and 706 deaths

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0702/1150898-world-covid/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Speaking about funerals, I lost a close relative during the pandemic. He had been sick in hospital prior to the pandemic so obviously concerns for Covid were high. As he was due to die but kept bouncing back it didn’t matter anyway.

However his passing has taken a toll on the family. Two of his children both live abroad. Both came home as the doctor’s request prior to the pandemic but he kept bouncing back from death’s door.
    Eventually company good will and annual leave ran out and they returned to their respective countries. (UK and Middle East). He died during the pandemic.

However we were in the early stages on lockdown. The 2km radius time. Fortunately my relation in the ME could return home as she was temporarily out of work due to the pandemic. My U.K. relation couldn’t return to Ireland

We watched the funeral online on a shítty non HD camera in the church positioned like a camera angle from a horror movie on an open casket. (This was early lockdown, caskets could be open still)

Only 10 people at the funeral yet one of his kids couldn’t attend. His sister, and son weren’t present at the funeral.

Cut to now and I only saw that part of my family after the nationwide travel restriction lifted and finally the grave. His son still hasn’t been back from the U.K.

There is no real sense of closure to the whole thing. While he died in care at home (the hospital discharged him prior to his passing probably so family could see him as he was dying anyway) so that’s a small consolation.

It was a hard time. It’s not unique to Ireland as it’s a scenario that is also playing out in other countries.

Obviously the health of the living comes first but it really feels wrong and lacking in humanity. I really think it’s one area of the pandemic restrictions that we got wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Donnelly reinforces the travel message. https://www.rte.ie/amp/1150921/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

There are teams of scientists, doctors etc around the world whos job it is to catch these bugs before they jump to humans or humans to humans, its a constant battle. We rarely hear about it because they nip it in the bud most times. As meat production has intensified worldwide this job is getting a great deal harder.

There is alot to be said for eating less highly intensified produced meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Eod100 wrote: »
    Donnelly reinforces the travel message. https://www.rte.ie/amp/1150921/?__twitter_impression=true

Refunds for everyone so? ..... Thought not.

• Advertisement

About 30% of COVID deaths may not be classified as such

Study published yesterday about excess deaths in the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement