Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Refunds for everyone so? ..... Thought not.

Government already facing huge amount of debt already. Don't think it would be feasible to refund people for money paid to private companies

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

There are teams of scientists, doctors etc around the world whos job it is to catch these bugs before they jump to humans or humans to humans, its a constant battle. We rarely hear about it because they nip it in the bud most times. As meat production has intensified worldwide this job is getting a great deal harder.

There is alot to be said for eating less highly intensified produced meat.

It been a while since I had meat popsicle. I am afraid I might be turning into a deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Blood type and genetics may determine your odds of contracting the coronavirus, study finds

People with Type A blood were associated with a 45% higher risk of acquiring COVID-19 compared with people with other blood types, a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine has found.

People with blood group O had a lower risk compared to all other blood types.

This large study confirms the earlier findings in smaller studies in China and New York. They studied 1980 patients with Covid-19 and severe disease (defined as respiratory failure) at seven hospitals in the Italian and Spanish epicenters of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in Europe.

This was also a great example of European cooperation, scientists in the less-burdened countries of Germany and Norway did a lot of the lab work for their overworked colleagues in Italy and Spain.

The most common blood group in Ireland is O positive (47% of the population)

Blood group O is commonest in the west of Ireland and there is a higher concentration of Group A blood in counties which historically received Viking, Anglo Norman and English population settlements ie the east of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Blood type and genetics may determine your odds of contracting the coronavirus, study finds

People with Type A blood were associated with a 45% higher risk of acquiring COVID-19 compared with people with other blood types, a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine has found.

This large study confirms the earlier findings in smaller studies in China and New York. They studied 1980 patients with Covid-19 and severe disease (defined as respiratory failure) at seven hospitals in the Italian and Spanish epicenters of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in Europe.

This was also a great example of European cooperation, scientists in the less-burdened countries of Germany and Norway did a lot of the lab work for their overworked colleagues in Italy and Spain.

Blood group O is commonest in the west of Ireland and there is a higher concentration of Group A blood in counties which historically received Viking, Anglo Norman and English population settlements ie the east of Ireland.

I wonder is that part of the idea that genetics plays a part in severity, and why we see many stories of families all fairing badly or all doing well.

Wife and I are O, but daughter is A though, uh oh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I wonder is that part of the idea that genetics plays a part in severity, and why we see many stories of families all fairing badly or all doing well.

Adopted?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Won't O and O combination have O offspring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Eod100 wrote: »
    Government already facing huge amount of debt already. Don't think it would be feasible to refund people for money paid to private companies

I meant the private companies (airlines) refunding people... This is textbook Ireland, shaft the taxpaying public. I'm completely fine with it if the government want to discourage travel into and out of the country but it should mean refunds or at the very least vouchers for anyone who has already paid for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do you actually have anything else to offer bar repeat posting the same data?

You asked "How do you know how they contracted it? People have been infected in other locations."

And I provided you with the figures showing that 88% of health workers were infected at work !

Coronacranky ?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

[quote="Rob A. Bank;11391

Coronacranky ?

:pac:[/quote]

Thats a great term.

• Advertisement

I meant the private companies (airlines) refunding people... This is textbook Ireland, shaft the taxpaying public. I'm completely fine with it if the government want to discourage travel into and out of the country but it should mean refunds or at the very least vouchers for anyone who has already paid for holidays.

Once your destination status was raised to "non essential travel" you can claim back on your insurance (took about 3 weeks for our refund) - the hotel cost was the biggest portion of it (and it was a no cancel / change deal)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Adopted?

Bone marrow transplant, donor was A so she produced A-cells post-transplant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Stop saying this...waaaaaaahhh!!! The most common type of blood in my body is Type A! I hate this research finding that keeps showing up :( Damn you Viking ancestors, you could have just made me tall. But oh no.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Stop saying this...waaaaaaahhh!!! The most common type of blood in my body is Type A! I hate this research finding that keeps showing up :( Damn you Viking ancestors, you could have just made me tall. But oh no.

Ok I have to ask - what are the other types of blood in your body?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You asked "How do you know how they contracted it? People have been infected in other locations."

And I provided you with the figures showing that 88% of health workers were infected at work !

Coronacranky ?

:pac:

No, just wondering where you imagine where your stat fetish is supposed to lead us. If it's to correct information that's fine, job done. Mostly from what what I can see you don't want to do anything else. In due course, we will see attention to the failings and how to improve on them but I just can't see you getting past perpetual finger pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Renjit wrote: »
    It been a while since I had meat popsicle. I am afraid I might be turning into a deer.

You know, I don't think that they have enough meats on sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I’m not ‘completely fine’ with it. Anyone can enter here from the US, Iraq, anywhere and just fill out a form. You can also wander in from anywhere in the world from over the border with no form filled & no information.
    Zero screening measures set up at airports, yet the Irish who just want to travel to safe zones in the EU are being vilified for NPHET & the Government’s incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Ok I have to ask - what are the other types of blood in your body?

Bad blood. Hot blood. Cold blood. Blue blood. And bloody marys. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

No, just wondering where you imagine where your stat fetish is supposed to lead us. If it's to correct information that's fine, job done. Mostly from what what I can see you don't want to do anything else. In due course, we will see attention to the failings and how to improve on them but I just can't see you getting past perpetual finger pointing.

Stat fetish. During a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

There have been repeated warnings of pandemics since the 1990s, none of which have come anyway close to the scale of this. I don't think anyone imagined it, but that's not to say the WHO don't have a lot of questions to answer.

Dr Michael Osterholm Has wrote multiple books on the subject since the 90s which described exactly this.
    DescriptionMichael T. Osterholm is an American infectious disease epidemiologist, regents professor, and director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota

So yeah there’s been plenty of warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus Christ lad, you asked him a question.

He gave you a detailed answer with factual data.

You lose your shít.

Coronacranky is perfectly apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Apparently 80% booked before covid19. A cynic might think airlines are putting on flights so they don't have to refund. I don't see airlines refunding people for flights they don't go on when it's taking months for them to refund people full stop. In an ideal world maybe but can't see it happening now

JoChervil wrote: »
    If you are both her real parents, it is impossible.

No its not, very unlikely but not impossible

https://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask181#:~:text=Two%20O%20parents%20will%20get,How%20does%20this%20happen%3F

And also in the scenario described by the op

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

After I posted it I noticed the explanation about marrow bone transplant, so I removed my post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hello our nearest and dearest neighbour! How have you been? Terrible this virus it i, isn't?
    Of course you can caravan here until your hearts content!
    Do let us know when you can spare a cup of vaccine .......

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

They're really pushing the dont travel nonsense now. These air bridges will be announced Monday.. They are talking about how dangerous it is to travel to France Spain and Portugal but nothing about USA or UK.

Seems we didn't stop travel when we should have (early march) and now we are stopping travel when everyone else is opening up.

I've a feeling its pressure from Failte Ireland wanting us to stay cation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Latest testing data
    There was over 10,000 swabs taken yesterday. Don’t think we’ve ever had one this high since the peak.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-2-july-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

At least people know the risks remain when travelling and won't claim otherwise if they catch Covid.

As long as people isolate when in the country fine but I'd expect the Government should be upping flight taxes to include a Covid test. Test in the airport and wait for a while while it comes back (there are tests available that give results in 2 hours), once clear no need to self isolate if positive straight to isolation.

Most people seem pissed off that they are being told there is still a risk, I'm not sure what the issue with being told that and being advised not to travel, if you don't care/ have weighed up the risks and still feel you want to travel then do.
    If you expect a doctor to tell you that travel is not a risk then it's not going to be a very good doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Eod100 wrote: »
    Apparently 80% booked before covid19. A cynic might think airlines are putting on flights so they don't have to refund. I don't see airlines refunding people for flights they don't go on when it's taking months for them to refund people full stop. In an ideal world maybe but can't see it happening now

Anybody that booked before the 14th of March are covered by there travel insurance if you want to cancel.
    Anybody who booked after that date there travel insurance won't cover the cost of they want to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Scotland has made face coverings mandatory in retail settings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement