Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Geuze wrote: »
    I can report that staff in the medical records section (not wards) of a large hosp that I won't name, do not wear masks.

They may wear them when going to wards, yes.

And this is why we have the highest case of hcw infected in the world.

There is some truly reckless and inept people making decisions in the hse.

Danzy wrote: »
    A man in my local North cork town, about 2k people told me his wife tested positive, had Pneumonia in early March.

That's 4 people i know of locally and you can be certain a lot more had it but never said.

I

My mam had her blood oxygen levels tested last december,seemed there was a spate of cases locally similar low blood oxygen and dry coughs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Why are we even bragging about 0 deaths, the cases are only being diagnosed now really?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Probably mentioned already,nightly entertainment, Trump relaunching his corona virus briefings from tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

mloc123 wrote: »
    People will jump through serious hoops to defend the gatherings they like versus the ones they don't...

And some people don't understand simple numbers and risk management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Why are we even bragging about 0 deaths, the cases are only being diagnosed now really?

More relief than bragging, I'd have thought - most of the recent cases being under-45s partially explains the better outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

To give a bit of perspective for those saying global covid deaths are overestimated, it seems it's an entirely opposite situation in most other countries . Mexico City had reported around 14,000 excess deaths in the months of April and May(2x times more deaths than usual,similar to New York and Lombardy), its official covid death toll was only 4000 for the city by the end of May .

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexico-city-coronavirus-excess-death-toll/2020/07/02/2baaab3e-bbbb-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html%3foutputType=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

My mam had her blood oxygen levels tested last december,seemed there was a spate of cases locally similar low blood oxygen and dry coughs

What's your point? I'm guessing it's that they had covid in December?

If that was the case it would have been known long before the official first case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Danzy wrote: »
    A man in my local North cork town, about 2k people told me his wife tested positive, had Pneumonia in early March.

That's 4 people i know of locally and you can be certain a lot more had it but never said.

I

Why did 2k people need to tell you?

I reckon we'll have 100+ cases in a day in about 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »

If that was the case it would have been known long before the official first case here.

Mate,most people in my area was laid low by a horrendous cough/flu and several pneumonias about before xmas......doctor was shooting in dark as several similar cases shown up of low blood oxygen.....noone had even heard of cv19 then

There has been 1 case of cv19 in my parish confirmed since testing began in march

Doubt we will make it to october without shutting down again

petes wrote: »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52526554

This might have been disproven since, I haven't looked into it but at the time, how many people were moving through France and into Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I reckon we wont even get close to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

boggerman1 wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with 500 people standing in the open air and getting a bit of relief to go watch a game of hurling or football.if we get this much awaited 2nd wave and we’re all locked down again the government will have a hard sell next time round.seems you can have countless people indoors in shopping centres and that’s grand but feck it,it’s lethal to be out in the fresh air.

Nevermind the spectators, that's not the issue. A panel of 30 lads training in close enough contact and playing games against another 30 lads is a risk not worth taking. Then you have the cascading effect through the league. And of course all the ladies and juvenile teams training aswell. Was watching underage training the weekend and they could not be kept apart.

Then they are going home to their families 3 times a week and into their workplaces each day, some of them frontline. The risk grows exponentially with each movement.

I cannot see a single county league not suffer disruption due to one player having to self isolate or a family member of a player catching Covid.

The main priority is schools returning so GAA should fall behind that. I've pulled out of club for this year and a close relative who plays intercounty the same. GAA is recreational and therefore should be parked for this year at least.

If the priority is to get schools open, park GAA and contact sports for now. Otherwise we are multiplying the risk is spades.

I reckon we wont even get close to that

I hope you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

bb1234567 wrote: »
    To give a bit of perspective for those saying global covid deaths are overestimated, it seems it's an entirely opposite situation in most other countries . Mexico City had reported over 27,300 excess deaths in the months of April and May, its official covid death toll was only 4000 for the city by the end of May .

If even a fifth of the excess deaths are unreported covid deaths which is probably a very conservative guess it still means less than half of the deaths in Mexico are being officially reported .
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexico-city-coronavirus-excess-death-toll/2020/07/02/2baaab3e-bbbb-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html%3foutputType=amp

That's not right. The 27,300 figure is the total deaths in Mexico City for that period. Only about half of that number was the excess. Still though that's almost 3.5 times the reported figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ineedaname wrote: »
    That's not right. The 27,300 figure is the total deaths in Mexico City for that period. Only about half of that number was the excess. Still though that's almost 3.5 times the reported figure.

Oh jeez big error by me, edited my original post now !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guess stories like this will get more common. Hope it's caught early and none of the kids get it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0721/1154738-creche/

I hope you're right.

There’s nothing to suggest we’ll get close to that, it there was massive growth we would’ve seen it by now

• Advertisement

So is there a weekend lag or not, it was said on here yesterday that there wasn't and if that's the case then these are all new cases found yesterday?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Guess stories like this will get more common. Hope it's caught early and none of the kids get it.

It seems there’s a lot of clusters popping up in Dublin, not many elsewhere which is interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Probably mentioned already,nightly entertainment, Trump relaunching his corona virus briefings from tonight.

Yip, he was saying the other day they were great for ratings.

He didn't actually mention the virus.

Apparently he is going to inject toilet duck into Mike Pence tonight live to prove ChyNA! and Joe Biden created the virus to hurt his reelection Bigly!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why did 2k people need to tell you?

I'm very cynical and need a lot of convincing.

Mate,most people in my area was laid low by a horrendous cough/flu and several pneumonias about before xmas......doctor was shooting in dark as several similar cases shown up of low blood oxygen.....noone had even heard of cv19 then

There has been 1 case of cv19 in my parish confirmed since testing began in march

Don't believe it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There’s nothing to suggest we’ll get close to that, it there was massive growth we would’ve seen it by now

Just because we haven't seen it by now doesn't mean that it's impossible.

People seem to be very fond of calling things definitively very early in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

And MM expects all schools reopen back in September

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah, we were told yesterday that a range of workplaces are seeing new instances, absolutely nothing unusual about it if the virus is increasing in the community, no where is immune.

But sure, they were just trying to scare us to wear masks according to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It seems there’s a lot of clusters popping up in Dublin, not many elsewhere which is interesting

I guess population along would make it more likely and then more construction sites, retailers etc there than other counties. But wouldn't be surprised to see clusters elsewhere over next while.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Just because we haven't seen it by now doesn't mean that it's impossible.

People seem to be very fond of calling things definitively very early in this.

Poster never mentioned 'definitively' anywhere.

No one said it's impossible.

Stop taking what people post and paraphrasing it in such a way that it suits you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement