Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

petes wrote: »
    Don't believe it for a second.

A lot were, no idea why you find it so hard to believe.

We know the disease was here at least since mid December. In other parts of Europe it may well have been there since November.

We know that it was wide spread in Northern Italy in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    And MM expects all schools reopen back in September

MM knows that's not happening he just can't say it yet.

I know of two separate health care workers who have sustained medium term lung damage due to Covid19 and one 29 year old woman who now moves like a 40 a day smoker after completing 3 marathons last year post catching the virus in April.

Teachers aren't going to expose themselves to a high risk environment and I don't blame them in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

GooglePlus wrote: »
    So is there a weekend lag or not, it was said on here yesterday that there wasn't and if that's the case then these are all new cases found yesterday?

Townsend Street building site, one presumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Danzy wrote: »
    A lot were, no idea why you find it so hard to believe.

We know the disease was here at least since mid December. In other parts of Europe it may well have been there since November.

We know that it was wide spread in Northern Italy in December.

Ah here, if it was it would have been widespread long before it was here.

Why do people still believe one or two reports of this. Do they not understand how this spread?

Most anecdotal stories of people saying they had something in December/January are people hoping they had it and over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Poster never mentioned 'definitively' anywhere.

No one said it's impossible.

Stop taking what people post and paraphrasing it in such a way that it suits you.

I'll try to avoid it. Can you give me another example of me putting words in people's mouths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why do people still believe one or two reports of this. Do they not understand how this spread?

Most anecdotal stories of people saying they had something in December/January are people hoping they had it and over it.

Exponential spread of the virus takes 4 months. First case of the virus lines up exactly with the surge in each European country.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Teachers aren't going to expose themselves to a high risk environment and I don't blame them in the slightest.

And yet so many other professions have had to

I don't think anyone can say what was doing the rounds in December was normal in any way. It kicked the living sh1t out of our household for 3 weeks and I can safely say I've never been that sick in my life.

I'm not saying it was Covid but I wouldn't be shocked if it was neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Exponential spread of the virus takes 4 months. First case of the virus lines up exactly with the surge in each European country.

was our surge in march or April? 4 months back from then?

But yet every other profession has had to

Yeah those office workers with the 30 kids hanging off them have it hard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Has every other profession had children running around it for 6+ hours every day, poor ventilation and inadequate hygiene facilities as well? I'm glad I'm working from home in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The "lockdown everything" crowd will have to be dragged kicking and screaming back into the real world.

I don't think anyone can say what was doing the rounds in December was normal in any way. It kicked the living sh1t out of our household for 3 weeks and I can safely say I've never been that sick in my life.

I'm not saying it was Covid but I wouldn't be shocked if it was neither.

What I still wonder about and so do the scientists are the two strains, the Chinese and the European... Was it a first and second wave. Has it been definitively ruled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

was our surge in march or April? 4 months back from then?

Peak was April, first known case of community transmission was a fella in the CUH mid February, meaning likely caught it in January.

GazzaL wrote: »
    The "lockdown everything" crowd will have to be dragged kicking and screaming back into the real world.

Keep paying them, get RTE to stir things up and we will all be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Arghus wrote: »
    I'll try to avoid it. Can you give me another example of me putting words in people's mouths?

this right here
    Can you give me another example of me putting words in people's mouths?

Lots of people who were in favour of lockdown worked throughout it, including myself.

It's a complete myth and a bit childish really to assume that everyone who argued for lockdown/restrictions did so because they wanted some time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

MM knows that's not happening he just can't say it yet.

I know of two separate health care workers who have sustained medium term lung damage due to Covid19 and one 29 year old woman who now moves like a 40 a day smoker after completing 3 marathons last year post catching the virus in April.

A school is high risk compared to what? Our hospitals? Building sites? Child care facilities? I'm not quite sure why teachers would feel they shouldn't go back to work when everyone else has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Yeah those office workers with the 30 kids hanging off them have it hard.

What about the doctors, the nurses, those working in homeless shelters, domestic violence refuges, direct provision centres, etc. who yes, can also be working with up to 30 children and more over the course of their workdays.
    The Gardai, the supermarket workers, the carers, the tradesmen on sites and so many others, all working around large volumes of people
    Professions don’t all consist of just office jobs!
    There are many other professionals who deal with more than 30 different people in a day in less than ideal conditions.
    Honestly I don’t mean to have a pop at teachers but it gets frustrating as some seem to think they’re the only ones who got the sh*t end of this stick

Don't believe it for a second.

You dont belive my mother had her blood oxygen checked before xmas??

Or that half country was sick/laid low before xmas?

Or that only 1 person in my parish tested positive for it.....very trumpian to dismiss out of hand info,whixh deosnt suit your worldview

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    this right here

I hope that was funnier in your head, at least.

Lots of people who were in favour of lockdown worked throughout it, including myself.

It's a complete myth and a bit childish really to assume that everyone who argued for lockdown/restrictions did so because they wanted some time off.

I'm not saying that everyone who argued for lockdown/restrictions did so because they wanted some time off. There's likely a few who did. But, moreso, some people have developed an irrational fear as a result of watching and listening to constant coverage of the pandemic.

It takes 4 months for exponential spread? That's a very specific statement of fact!

some people have developed an irrational fear as a result of watching and listening to constant coverage of the pandemic.

There is no treatment nor vaccine presently available for this virus?

Its hardly irrational to worry on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Or that only 1 person in my parish tested positive for it.....very trumpian to dismiss out of hand info,whixh deosnt suit your worldview

This is peak flu season, just to let you know.

When were they tested positive again?

There is no treatment nor vaccine presently available for this virus?

Its hardly irrational to worry on it?

The fear and worry absolutely consumes some people.

It takes 4 months for exponential spread? That's a very specific statement of fact!

If only people would stop claiming things with such definitiveness...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If the virus was here at Christmas as many anecdotally claim, the health system would have been over run by mid January. As in apocalyptically so. As in Bergamo level over-run.

• Advertisement

If only people would stop claiming things with such definitiveness...right?

What's your point? Is it just to score points in your own head?

A poster, even a well informed poster who I listen to on the stats can't state that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement