Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/smaller-than-perceived-visitor-numbers-in-killarney-says-hotelier/

Some further debunking of the supposed mass influx of Americans.

Of particular note was the following "Bernadette Randles, the Chair of the Kerry Branch of the Irish Hotel Federation (IHF) and owner/operator of both the Dromhall Hotel and The Randles Court Hotel in Killarney surveyed 11 different hotels in the town centre area.

The results, which did not include guesthouses, Airbnb properties, self-catering units and camping and caravan facilities, found that there were no overseas tourists booked into to IHF member properties last weekend"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

TomSweeney wrote: »
    According to the BBC this is going to last DECADES , so fair enough, get used to it, we need to move on, who wants to live in lockdown for decades ??

F*CK THAT!

When did the BBC say it would last decades?

Have you a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

thelad95 wrote: »

Don't worry someone will be along to say their third cousins girlfriends brothers mothers giggolo saw a WhatsApp video on his long lost father's phone that had 10 million Americans coughing loudly as they goosestep through the streets of Dingle.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    When did the BBC say it would last decades?

Have you a link?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-53488142

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The countries on the much anticipated ‘Green List’ where it is deemed safe to travel include Malta, Finland, Norway, Italy, Hungry, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia, Greece, Greenland, Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino.

You cant even fly direct to some of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A single staff member .

Thanks for updating me. It will be interesting how to learn how this takes shape. Where the staff member thinks she was exposed to the virus, if it was in work or her social setting or if they don't know. Crèche work involves close contact so it will be interesting to learn if children become infected and if the infection can go home with them to their families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    "Even, actually, if we have a vaccine or very good treatments, humanity will still be living with this virus for very many, many years.... decades to come."

So just like HIV, SARS 1, Ebola, Yellow Fever and many more then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The countries on the much anticipated ‘Green List’ where it is deemed safe to travel include Malta, Finland, Norway, Italy, Hungry, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia, Greece, Greenland, Gibraltar, Monaco and San Marino.

Can’t wait to go ahead with my summer trip to sunny Nuuk, Greenland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

But, when we get a vaccine (positive signs), it will have no reservoir and should die out?

EDIT:

"The vaccine is unlikely to have a durable effect that'll last for a very long time, so we're going to have to have a continual cycle of vaccinations, and then more disease, and more vaccinations and more disease.

"So I think the idea that we're going to eliminate it across the population, that's just not realistic."

I thought polio was an odd comparison to make. No one in the west has worried about polio in a lifetime. And even if immunity fades then it can just become a jab every few years. It's not really the Gordian knot he's made it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Irish Times confirmed it with caveat of ''However official advice remains that people should only undertake essential travel. ''

So is this ''don't go but go if you want, wink, wink''? Who decides what's essential or not either?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/green-list-names-released-of-15-safe-countries-for-travel-without-quarantine-on-return-1.4309906

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Good point.
    We will be living alongside Covid19 for quite a while,if not Indefinitely.
    I have heard of people convinced when this first all "blew up" that it would all be over in a few weeks.
    Major business decisions were made on that presumption.
    UK believe everything will be back to "normal" by Christmas?
    Unlikely.
    The way are lives were pre March we won't be seeing anytime soon I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

UK off the list, it's confirmed tonight.

Does this include the North? Will the border close now?

UK off the list, it's confirmed tonight.

Does this include the North? Will the border close now?

No, travel from NI to Ireland was already allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

s1ippy wrote: »
    Has every other profession had children running around it for 6+ hours every day, poor ventilation and inadequate hygiene facilities as well? I'm glad I'm working from home in that case.

Yes other professions do experience that- like those working in domestic violence refuges, children’s residential units, homeless residential units, psychiatric facilities for adolescents and direct provision centres to name a few.
    Employees work with children for way more than 6 hours on every workday & as far as I know these facilities would not have any state of the art ventilation systems in place

Eod100 wrote: »
    No, travel from NI to Ireland was already allowed.

So only England, Scotland and Wales not on the list?

Irish Times confirmed it with caveat of ''However official advice remains that people should only undertake essential travel. ''

So is this ''don't go but go if you want, wink, wink''? Who decides what's essential or not either?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/green-list-names-released-of-15-safe-countries-for-travel-without-quarantine-on-return-1.4309906

Basically no where anyone bothers going for a summer holiday

fritzelly wrote: »

Greece is on the list.

Greece is on the list.

Yeah just noticed that - well they're doing specials on hotels there at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

How does one get to Monaco without going through a non green list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You cant even fly direct to some of them

Monaco via France and Gibraltar via Spain or UK. Just proves the list is a joke.

Everyone's off to Greenland for summer 2020

How does one get to Monaco without going through a non green list?

You hop on your gold plated helicopter or your 80 foot yacht to get there.

I guess Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Malta would be. Monaco, Gibraltar, San Marino to lesser extent.

So only England, Scotland and Wales not on the list?

Presumably yes

Monaco via France and Gibraltar via Spain or UK. Just proves the list is a joke.

Everyone's off to Greenland for summer 2020

Exactly - no real thought put in to it bar lets look at some numbers,
    Southern Spain is safer than Dublin right now! And I think some of the islands haven't had a case in weeks (Tenerife etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Things must be looking really bad for the US if even Trump is saying things will get worse

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53494766

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I guess Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Malta would be. Monaco, Gibraltar, San Marino to lesser extent.

Ayia Napa won't know what hit it :D

Greenland on the list and isn't a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gibraltar isn't possible to get to from Ireland without going through a country not on the green list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Very detailed on the tail end up 2019 up to present date but no figures for first half of 2019 to make an accurate comparison.

Its a different flu cycle, you need to look up the 18/19 cycle on the hpsc site. Sorry I'm on mobile now so I cant link it but if you can't find it PM me and ill get it tomorrow evening for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement