Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's still in theory anyway non-essential travel. Fairly sure when Varadkar was on about list before new government that it was meant for holidays.

Wonder will Michael O'Leary be announcing extra flights to any of the places on the list..!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Miike wrote: »
    Its a different flu cycle, you need to look up the 18/19 cycle on the hpsc site. Sorry I'm on mobile now so I cant link it but if you can't find it PM me and ill get it tomorrow evening for you

Cool, yes couldn't see it when I searched but yes send it on, would be interesting to compare.

Gibraltar isn't possible to get to from Ireland without going through a country not on the green list.

The other stupid thing is do they think people won't interact with Spanish people in Gibraltar and French people in Monaco? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Some real powerhouses on that list

Micheál Martin playing a blinder again lol

Northern Ireland has a proper list already

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork Airport has flights to Bergamo (Milan), Naples, Malta and Budapest. 4 airports in countries on the Green List.

Interesting to see if loads increase on these flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eod100 wrote: »
    It's still in theory anyway non-essential travel. Fairly sure when Varadkar was on about list before new government that it was meant for holidays.

Wonder will Michael O'Leary be announcing extra flights to any of the places on the list..!

Wouldn't mind a direct flight to Gibraltar, anytime I'm in the area I can't be bothered driving there and the queues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Gibraltar isn't possible to get to from Ireland without going through a country not on the green list.

Other than a side trip from the Costa del Sol no one actually goes there on holidays because there is nothing there worth seeing (not even the monkeys) and it's minuscule.

Seems now it might be changed from non-essential travel to ''exercise caution''. The communication around this has been woeful

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1285703516405870592

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ryanair will be announcing flights to Greenland by the end of the week.

And true to their policy of landing miles from the destination, you'll touch down on the iceberg that the Titanic struck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Eod100 wrote: »
    Seems now it might be changed from non-essential travel to ''exercise caution''. The communication around this has been woeful

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1285703516405870592

That's a big change in fact. Means a holiday / visit to one of the 15 is considered okay and above board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What does exercise caution mean?

Will travel insurance work then?

Will be reviewed after 2 weeks and overall advice is still stay at home. As clear as mud

https://twitter.com/Junomaco/status/1285711496966742017

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why is the Vintners' Federation not challenging the pub shutdown in the courts?

Strazdas wrote: »
    That's a big change in fact. Means a holiday / visit to one of the 15 is considered okay and above board.

Then another reporter is saying overall message is to stay at home. So maybe government is trying to pay lip service to NPHET advice but letting people to travel to certain countries without quarantine.

Farirly late in the summer to be booking holidays too. Not sure many with kids would get away before school is back.

What does exercise caution mean?

Will travel insurance work then?

Effectively means a 'leisure' visit to the countries is allowed.

I can't answer the insurance one though.

Effectively means a 'leisure' visit to the countries is allowed.

I can't answer the insurance one though.

Well this will open the flood gates for sure once everyone wakes up tomorrow and sees this.

Why is the Vintners' Federation not challenging the pub shutdown in the courts?

Public support isn't with them I guess.

Public support isn't with them I guess.

Has it ever?

Well this will open the flood gates for sure once everyone wakes up tomorrow and sees this.

A lot of the big countries like Spain, Portugal, France, Germany and NL are still out of bounds though.

So to be clear we're free to travel to a couple of popular places, some very obscure places, places you can't even get a direct flight to...
    And to Northern Ireland - from where we can travel to Spain, Italy, France...without so much as a raised eyebrow

I thought we were supposed to be toeing the line together in regards to the coronavirus???

• Advertisement

Talk about mixed messages:

''The Pandemic is not over and the public health advice remains the same. The safest thing to do is not to travel.''

https://www.thejournal.ie/green-list-publication-cabinet-5156156-Jul2020/?utm_source=twitter_short

A lot of the big countries like Spain, Portugal, France, Germany and NL are still out of bounds though.

Greece and Malta will do just fine for a lot of people at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It's funny countries like Austria and Denmark have less cases and far fewer deaths than us but are not on the green list

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I do wonder if they introduced a 'covid tax' for all airline travel would it deter people enough.

Like I dunno, double the price of the ticket if you can't prove your journey is essential. Or increase insurance premiums come renewal time.

Something that will hit people in the pocket tends to make people think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

So we can go on holidays get pissed every day in the pubs then come back here with the virus and spread it around while all the pubs are closed here, there open for a while now in the North its bonkers they are destroying our economy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I do wonder if they introduced a 'covid tax' for all airline travel would it deter people enough.

Like I dunno, double the price of the ticket if you can't prove your journey is essential. Or increase insurance premiums come renewal time.

Ha! They want the opposite. Bail outs for the airline industry, coz jobs.

We're gonna be paying for this for a long time, never mind the bailout that it is costing us more than we get
    Don't be giving them anymore ideas to tax us even more

M

Better to first do that for non residents landing here each day, if their trip is less than 14 days refuse them entry.

M

fritzelly wrote: »
    We're gonna be paying for this for a long time, never mind the bailout that it is costing us more than we get
    Don't be giving them anymore ideas to tax us even more

What's going on now makes the bailout look like a picnic on Dollymount Beach. They send the Taoiseach to the EU looking for money, he comes back with a deal where we owe them money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Ha! They want the opposite. Bail outs for the airline industry, coz jobs.

Think a bail out for Airlines is already a forgone eventuality, just a matter of how large a bailout will be required, no way any of them can sustain the operating costs until a vaccine comes and regular travel resumes with the reserves they have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement