Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Seems now it might be changed from non-essential travel to ''exercise caution''. The communication around this has been woeful

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1285703516405870592

Few holidays to Italy it is so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Monaco via France and Gibraltar via Spain or UK. Just proves the list is a joke.

Everyone's off to Greenland for summer 2020

I work with a guy from Greenland, I'd guess he'll be happy about the list. Not sure how many others will be.

Might head to Finland myself, since Ireland is on their green list, so no mandatory quarantine at either end of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Polar101 wrote: »
    I work with a guy from Greenland, I'd guess he'll be happy about the list. Not sure how many others will be.

Might head to Finland myself, since Ireland is on their green list, so no mandatory quarantine at either end of the journey.

There's no quarantine for us anywhere else in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fritzelly wrote: »
    So to be clear we're free to travel to a couple of popular places, some very obscure places, places you can't even get a direct flight to...
    And to Northern Ireland - from where we can travel to Spain, Italy, France...without so much as a raised eyebrow

I thought we were supposed to be toeing the line together in regards to the coronavirus???

What would have been the alternative though? One would assume that Covid is going nowhere and that a ban on leisure trips outside Ireland would have had to remain in place for a very long time indeed.

It's unlikely the green list will have changed much in six months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Eod100 wrote: »
    Talk about mixed messages:

''The Pandemic is not over and the public health advice remains the same. The safest thing to do is not to travel.''

https://www.thejournal.ie/green-list-publication-cabinet-5156156-Jul2020/?utm_source=twitter_short

To be honest, I think the advice is pretty clear: don't travel.

The green list is an attempt to appease some people and holiday operators/airlines etc. But, the bottom line is don't travel unless you really have to.

The media have made a bigger issue about this than there actually is and the supposed confusion is being partly stoked up by them. It's a bit of controversy.

And the likes of SF too. Louise O' Reilly was banging on at length on the TV this evening, sounding very dramatic and hysterical. The green list showed the CHAOS at the heart of government, so she says. Time to whip up the fury lads. Whatever the government did she'd be on blasting it. Interestingly enough, SF don't have many useful suggestions themselves.

Not saying that the list isn't newsworthy or that the messaging has been 100% spot on, but the media have been losing the run of themselves a bit about it today and have given the minute details of this list a lot more coverage than is really warranted. The EU summit which is actually far, far more important, took up far less breathless airtime today.

Sometimes, as much as I make use of them, I kinda hate the silliness of the media in Ireland. Their propensity to overly focus as a whole on one issue is pretty apparent. Back in March they were obsessed with the fate of the Paddy's day parades for a good week, even though it was plainly fcking obvious that they would get cancelled and were, ultimately, the absolute least of everyone's worries. Then it was the leaving cert, which everyone knew would get cancelled. Lately it was Barry Cowen - days dedicated to coverage of that shyte, which then just vanished instantly when the story became about the pubs not opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strazdas wrote: »
    What would have been the alternative though? One would assume that Covid is going nowhere and that a ban on leisure trips outside Ireland would have had to remain in place for a very long time indeed.

It's unlikely the green list will have changed much in six months time.

Ireland is being the most restrictive in the whole of Europe - every other country is getting on with it and doing local clampdowns where it rises up again

Europe is moving on, Ireland is stuck in the mud - even the UK which is still in a worse situation than us hasn't ground to an halt
    ICU figures are single digits while people wait for operations, screenings etc

It's all becoming BS at this stage

I seriously think it is just MM trying to emanate some aura of authority over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Polar101 wrote: »

I assume that is the case for all 15 in fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mad to think this all started in China with it so quiet over there now, never on the news really. Just 0.75% of global deaths are in China, pretty crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Poland is a gem of a country that would dwarf many on that potential 'green list' saddly that means no travel for me, would rather stay in me garden than visit some of them places, no offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Shows you how ridiculous us having these travel restrictions or recommendations are..

https://twitter.com/celtic_bar/status/1285727518255980544?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

US2 wrote: »
    Shows you how ridiculous us having these travel restrictions or recommendations are..

https://twitter.com/celtic_bar/status/1285727518255980544?s=19

Would love to be in Benalmadena right now supping some 2 euro pints in the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2020/0721/1154613-im-living-a-different-experience-of-covid/

Anyone who is giving out about not being able to go to the pub or to Torremolinos or do whatever should give 3 minutes to watch the video at that link of how Elaine is having to cope right now. She had to even get her terrible diagnosis completely alone in A & E and has not been able to have a hug from her husband or children. No one goes into her room except where medically absolutely necessary. It would break your heart what she has to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork Airport has flights to Bergamo (Milan), Naples, Malta and Budapest. 4 airports in countries on the Green List.

Interesting to see if loads increase on these flights.

You would be absolutely mad to fly to Bergamo at the moment. It’s still the place where the majority of cases are occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

A doctor in ICU since April passed away overnight.

https://twitter.com/drumaralqadri/status/1285707585623072769?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

fritzelly wrote: »
    Ireland is being the most restrictive in the whole of Europe - every other country is getting on with it and doing local clampdowns where it rises up again

Europe is moving on, Ireland is stuck in the mud - even the UK which is still in a worse situation than us hasn't ground to an halt
    ICU figures are single digits while people wait for operations, screenings etc

It's all becoming BS at this stage

I seriously think it is just MM trying to emanate some aura of authority over the country

Its just a cautious approach. In time I think it will prove to be a good decision. Still only a few months dealing with this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Few holidays to Italy it is so

Few days in Catalonia it is so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

And yet so many other professions have had to

Not that many professions have to deal with rooms full of dirty little viral sacks, that be children (eating worms and the likes).

What about the doctors, the nurses, those working in homeless shelters, domestic violence refuges, direct provision centres, etc. who yes, can also be working with up to 30 children and more over the course of their workdays.
    The Gardai, the supermarket workers, the carers, the tradesmen on sites and so many others, all working around large volumes of people
    Professions don’t all consist of just office jobs!
    There are many other professionals who deal with more than 30 different people in a day in less than ideal conditions.
    Honestly I don’t mean to have a pop at teachers but it gets frustrating as some seem to think they’re the only ones who got the sh*t end of this stick

Classic whataboutism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It really doesn't matter about a green list at the end of the day. People will do what they want to do at the end of they day.

People who have made up their minds and decided that travel is too risky and won't go anywhere, they won't travel.
    People who have decided that they want to travel regardless of the virus and its risks, will go anyways.

You dont belive my mother had her blood oxygen checked before xmas??

Or that half country was sick/laid low before xmas?

Or that only 1 person in my parish tested positive for it.....very trumpian to dismiss out of hand info,whixh deosnt suit your worldview

The big clue is that folks before xmas weren't dying due to respiratory issues in the same volume and more importantly that the healthcare workers weren't getting infected by the flu related admissions like they are now with the covid patients...

Now - maybe there was a milder version of covid, that then mutated later - if this is the case its great news as there is a good chance that there will be a greater % of folks with immunity (maybe that explains why it doesn't affect everyone the same) - sorry for the crazy hypothesis at the end!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Wow, this is big news. I wish some people would keep their germs to themselves. I haven't been to a shop since the masks were mandatory rule but before that there were some people behaving wrecklessly coughing and sneezing into the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

So, a flight to Gibraltar, walk across the border onto the Costa Del Sol. But you can't fly to Spain? :confused:

So, a flight to Gibraltar, walk across the border onto the Costa Del Sol. But you can't fly to Spain? :confused:

Thats how borders work... (with the possible exception of N/S Korea - you might need to duck depending what direction your going).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Vaccine sorted so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

A doctor in ICU since April passed away overnight.

https://twitter.com/drumaralqadri/status/1285707585623072769?s=21

Very sad news. May he rest in peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What's the point of a green list, go holidays so that you don't have to isolate when you come home... But then Americans don't have to isolate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Stephen Donnelly on Newstalk now. Have to say the communication has been very poor recently. The green list is confusing to the public and they need to get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

What's the point of a green list, go holidays so that you don't have to isolate when you come home... But then Americans don't have to isolate either.

Give over with ‘the Americans’ shyte ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Jimi H wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly on Newstalk now. Have to say the communication has been very poor recently. The green list is confusing to the public and they need to get their act together.

The public is very easily confused if that’s the case. People roaring about being treated like children a few weeks ago and now roaring about how confusing the green list is.

The message is clear; don’t travel abroad. The green list is a sop to those who would be crying about living in a dictatorship and the rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement