Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

I had a look around on google etc but could not find the answer

I know face masks are mandatory on buses etc
    When do they become mandatory in indoor spaces such as shops? (does some law have to be signed etc)

Having an argument with a friend on the definitive answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Yeah right.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1285536614069010437?s=20

Just like masks don't work.
    Just like it's not airborne.
    Just like there is no affect on numbers after weekend.
    OP said there doesn't seem to be many examples of long-term health effects. You posted an example of 1 person who suffered long term effects, which basically proves the OPs point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Surely if serious and long lasting health issues were common we'd be buggered with the amount of doctors and nurses who contracted it? Not saying it doesn't happen but surely hundreds of health staff would be out of action that there'd be staffing problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    OP said there doesn't seem to be many examples of long-term health effects. You posted an example of 1 person who suffered long term effects, which basically proves the OPs point.

Check my next post. two thirds of nurses who contracted it are still experiencing post viral fatigue.

That's the majority.

HSE being challenged on workplace safety.
    A tweet where HSE executive downplays any post viral effect is par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Some people are not xenophobes. There are hardly any Americans entering Ireland at this time but the way your typical knuckle scraper goes on about them you’d think we were inundated.

According to Mr Coveney last week, there were 250 people arriving from the USA every day... that is a bit more than 'hardly any' IMHO.

And the really dangerous 'knuckle scrapers' wear red MAGA caps and refuse to self isolate for 14 days on arrival here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yeah right.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1285536614069010437?s=20

Just like masks don't work.
    Just like it's not airborne.
    Just like there is no affect on numbers after weekend.

Claire Bryne had it mild and she's still suffering effects after 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’ll have no problem taking a chance on the vaccine, i’ll be first in queue. This virus has taken all of the things i look forward to including seeing my family in other countries etc.

Yes there will be antivaxxers on these threads, the same ones who’ll want everything shut down for “eva”.

100%. Gimme.

WallyGUFC wrote: »

I think what he meant was they are giving us information very slowly...

Masks don't work ... When they do
    It's not airborne... When it's spread by aerosols and is actually airborne

And now here they are giving us more information, saying there's no long term effects... When this will probably change like everything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Absolutely bizarre goings on here.

Read an article yesterday about the knock on effects of covid in healthcare workers on RTÉ.

Went looking for it there and it's gone.
    520782.jpg
    520781.jpg

They've replaced it with the article about healthcare staff going into work when sick instead.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1285879021352488960?s=19

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1285465163307589633?s=19

Here is a similar article from other sources:
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/its-a-long-road-to-recovery-two-thirds-of-nurses-who-recovered-from-covid-19-still-experience-post-viral-fatigue-39384846.html
    https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/workforce/two-thirds-of-nurses-who-contracted-covid-19-still-experiencing-fatigue-21-07-2020/

Seems really shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Claire Bryne had it mild and she's still suffering effects after 4 months.

Given the bias and selective reporting from Rte I wouldn't listen to anything an employee says.

The healthcare workers, are they suffering fatigue due to being overworked as so many have to time off isolating. Has it been proved the virus is causing their fatigue or does proof only matter sometimes ?

• Advertisement

so i think it was about 10 days ago i seen WHO or some CDC statement that they were going to look into fresh reports (findings) that the 2 meters is not enough for social distancing...anybody hear any developments on this?

also WHO were sending people to china..looking for patient zero.. no news on this either

2 meters is not enough?

Hasn't that changed to 1 meter?

According to Mr Coveney last week, there were 250 people arriving from the USA every day... that is a bit more than 'hardly any' IMHO.

And the really dangerous 'knuckle scrapers' wear red MAGA caps and refuse to self isolate for 14 days on arrival here.

Arriving from...not necessarily tourists or even Americans. Irish people returning home, Americans who live here returning etc. would make up the bulk

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Doesn’t seem to be many here with long term effects

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1285879021352488960?s=21

Long term is relative. When you are told to expect a full recovery after 10-14 days and 2 months on you are still struggling to breathe after putting on a load of washing it feels long term. Especially when you are the among the first to experience the virus. Without a potential end date in sight I suspect it feels longer than it is. I'm nearly out the other end of over 4 months of symptoms following a respiratory virus I contracted mid-March. I still have some inflammation in my chest and mild esophagitis but it doesn't flare up massively on exertion any more so I'm getting back toward my old fitness levels. In hindsight, it doesn't feel like it went on for too long but at the time it felt unending and loaded with uncertainty. I was mentally aware it was almost certainly post-viral and would pass but I didn't always feel that way.

I also feel lucky that all my post-viral symptoms were inflammatory and the worst of it only lasted 3 months. I know there are a lot of reports of people experiencing post-viral fatigue syndrome and that can last for 6-12 months or even turn chronic. On some chat groups I'm on, most people who contracted a similar virus or confirmed Covid in March and had post-viral symptoms have more or less recovered if their main long lasting symptoms were mainly forms of chestwall inflammation. But aren't much better at all if their continuing symptoms were mainly fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

US2 wrote: »
    Given the bias and selective reporting from Rte I wouldn't listen to anything an employee says.

The healthcare workers, are they suffering fatigue due to being overworked as so many have to time off isolating. Has it been proved the virus is causing their fatigue or does proof only matter sometimes ?

Fatigue is only one symptom.

So you are dismissing 546 people who had the virus and their experience of it.

So what method of proof would you accept, playing rock, paper, scissors with a Labrador?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I’m sure of any group of people, professional healthcare workers would be able to identify that they’re suffering from illness induced fatigue rather than just working hard.

I’d tend to listen to the nurses and doctors on this one.

You’re also seeing and hearing exactly the same story from people around the world reporting identical experiences of long recoveries and lasting symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Jesus you gotta love this thread

“Doesn’t seem to be long term side effects”
    “Claire Byrne still has issues”
    “Yeah but that’s just one and it’s RTÉ”
    “Well 91% of nurses are still suffering fatigue”
    “Yeah but can you prove it’s covid?”

Yet everything on the “all is rosy” side is stuff like “I don’t think we’re having a second wave and if you think you are you’re probably pulling the mickey off yourself”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Boggles wrote: »
    Fatigue is only one symptom.

So you are dismissing 546 people who had the virus and their experience of it.

So what method of proof would you accept, playing rock, paper, scissors with a Labrador?

Thankfully on a positive note i know 12 people who have had it including my cousin that has type 1 diabetes.

All have recovered with no after effects whatsoever.

I’m sure of any group of people, professional healthcare workers would be able to identify that they’re suffering from illness induced fatigue rather than just working hard.

You’re also seeing and hearing exactly the same story from people around the world reporting identical experiences of long recoveries and lasting symptoms.

Your also seeing thousands upon thousands of hypochondriacs looking thinking they have it and testing negative, also thousands of people thinking they were floored with it in December.

It's mostly a harmless disease for healthy people under 65, no amount of scaremongering will change the facts.

"I don't like who is saying it so I will dismiss it even though they have direct experience, and the facts don't align with my view therefore I will ignore those also". About right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Arriving from...not necessarily tourists or even Americans. Irish people returning home, Americans who live here returning etc. would make up the bulk

Evidence please... and the ethnic origin of the travelers is totally irrelevant.

The virus does not swim here, blow in with the wind or fall with the misty rain.

It arrives in people from known hotspots, just like it did from Italy in March.

USA has just topped 4,000,000 cases and had a death toll of over 1,100 yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Your also seeing thousands upon thousands of hypochondriacs looking thinking they have it and testing negative, also thousands of people thinking they were floored with it in December.

It's mostly a harmless disease for healthy people under 65, no amount of scaremongering will change the facts.

It would seem that basically all of the experts and all of the experience is pointing towards it being a LOT more serious than flu. It also simply is not the influenza virus so even by that logic it is not flu and will be unlikely to cause the exact same set of symptoms as flu.

As for the people who’ve been tested. If you’re talking about antibody tests and they’re taken more than 3 months after the symptoms, the research is pointing towards no antibodies showing up as being quite normal. That doesn’t necessarily mean no immunity at all, as there may be T cell memory but it’s not looking like it provokes much of a long term immune response and definitely isn’t leaving a lot of people with long term detectable antibodies but a negative antibody test beyond a few months may be meaningless.

No amount of dismissing facts and evidence will make it any better either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

“Yeah but that’s just one and it’s RTÉ”

Yet everything on the “all is rosy” side is stuff like “I don’t think we’re having a second wave and if you think you are you’re probably pulling the mickey off yourself”

Haha :) had to laugh at this.

The amount of times that misery **** trope has been used since day one of coronavirus has left me bemused. There is hardly a day when someone does not imagine other people doing it. One even had sand paper inserted in the visualisation yesterday. Very odd!!

It would seem that basically all of the experts and all of the experience is pointing towards it being a LOT more serious than flu. It also simply is not the influenza virus so even by that logic it is not flu and will be unlikely to cause the exact same set of symptoms as flu.

As for the people who’ve been tested. If you’re talking about antibody tests and they’re taken more than 3 months after the symptoms, the research is pointing towards no antibodies showing up as being quite normal. That doesn’t necessarily mean no immunity at all, as there may be T cell memory but it’s not looking like it provokes much of a long term immune response and definitely isn’t leaving a lot of people with long term detectable antibodies but a negative antibody test beyond a few months may be meaningless.

No amount of dismissing facts and evidence will make it any better either.

There's around 10 people in hospital country wide with covid. Its mostly harmless for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

“Yeah but that’s just one and it’s RTɔ

In fairness there's nothing sexier than a highly infectious virus that can leave long term damage or even kill you and those you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Have you got a link to some facts about those thousands of hypochondriac bastards clogging up the system, buddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

No amount of ignoring data or skewing it will change the facts either.

It’s a fascinating disease, some people in their 90s survive with no issues or even symptoms, then a 27 year old nurse has issues for months. There’s so much we’ve learned in the last 6 months but just as much, if not more, that we don’t know.

Personally I move from “it’ll all be fine” camp to “Jesus no we’re doomed” camp almost daily with ease after reading varying viewpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Check my next post. two thirds of nurses who contracted it are still experiencing post viral fatigue.

That's the majority.

HSE being challenged on workplace safety.
    A tweet where HSE executive downplays any post viral effect is par for the course.

And most nurses who didn't catch it are also experiencing fatigue. They are mentally drained by the whole thing. Fatigue is a very difficult thing to quantify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

polesheep wrote: »
    And most nurses who didn't catch it are also experiencing fatigue. They are mentally drained by the whole thing. Fatigue is a very difficult thing to quantify.

source?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

gabeeg wrote: »
    Have you got a link to some facts about those thousands of hypochondriac bastards clogging up the system, buddy?
    Continuous positive rate in testing being less than 1% is enough evidence.

A doctor posted on Twitter last week about the number of calls he was getting looking for covid tests. All this talk of second waves and people needing tests all around the country but the proof is in the results of these tests. 99% of people daily submitting for covid tests are testing negative

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Hundreds of thousands of them, and this has been widely known since mid-March.

https://www.click2houston.com/health/2020/03/11/i-had-covid-19-and-heres-my-story-woman-shares-details-of-coronavirus-experience/

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/15/816174103/former-coronavirus-infected-patient

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8110389/Coronavirus-patients-recover-left-damaged-lungs-researchers-claim.html

https://www.thecanary.co/global/world-analysis/2020/03/15/the-other-potential-coronavirus-catastrophe-no-one-is-talking-about/

Being in denial is not an effective strategy against a pandemic, as America are demonstrating.
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    Thankfully on a positive note i know 12 people who have had it including my cousin that has type 1 diabetes.

All have recovered with no after effects whatsoever.
    Two (one elderly, one with a mild disability) out of three that live near me with it have died, the other (overweight but only in their thirties) is never going to have a quality of life resembling what it was before. One perfectly healthy young person I know abroad and his partner no longer have a sense of smell after contracting it. I don't know anyone with "no after effects". So I guess it's relative. I certainly wouldn't presume nobody has any long-term illness, just as I wouldn't presume that everyone will definitely feel knock-on effects after they recover.

My views are informed by facts, instead of by wishing on a star for what I would rather be true (and vehemently opposing anyone who presents any evidence to the contrary).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement