Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

Evidence please... and the ethnic origin of the travelers is totally irrelevant.

The virus does not swim here, blow in with the wind or fall with the misty rain.

It arrives in people from known hotspots, just like it did from Italy in March.

USA has just topped 4,000,000 cases and had a death toll of over 1,100 yesterday.

Legal residents should not be allowed return? Where is the evidence that the vast majority of those entering are not isolating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Cant believe people are trying to argue that disease is mostly harmless to most people.

How many positive tests in last 30 days , how many hospital admissions in last 30 days.

Why do people enjoy being scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

marno21 wrote: »
    Continuous positive rate in testing being less than 1% is enough evidence.

A doctor posted on Twitter last week about the number of calls he was getting looking for covid tests. All this talk of second waves and people needing tests all around the country but the proof is in the results of these tests. 99% of people daily submitting for covid tests are testing negative

We were talking about long term effects.

But please, carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

source?

Ask any of them. I live with one and know many. They are completely fed up with it. Just having to wear a mask all day is becoming a drain, to the point that a lot of them on the general wards are now not wearing them. Look around you, there is a general weariness throughout the entire population thanks to Covid - apart from those who find it fascinating. People have had enough and just wish that the damn thing would go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

s1ippy wrote: »

My views are informed by facts, instead of by wishing on a star for what I would rather be true (and vehemently opposing anyone who presents any evidence to the contrary).

I don’t give a toss about your informed facts. I know 12 people fully recovered the oldest being 78 that caught in hospital after suffering a mild stroke.

My cousin lost her sense of taste/smell. Guess what, it fully returned. But keep up your post covid doom and gloom hysteria, be my guest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Well I think you're extremely brave to still be plugging away at that narrative, even at the risk of looking very foolish while doing so.

US2 wrote: »
    Cant believe people are trying to argue that disease is mostly harmless to most people.

How many positive tests in last 30 days , how many hospital admissions in last 30 days.

Ask Stephen King.

You generally don't get admitted to hospital if you're suffering long-term covid effects. You struggle on at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I don’t give a toss about your informed facts..

Well at least we know where you stand in any debate then.

marno21 wrote: »
    Continuous positive rate in testing being less than 1% is enough evidence.

A doctor posted on Twitter last week about the number of calls he was getting looking for covid tests. All this talk of second waves and people needing tests all around the country but the proof is in the results of these tests. 99% of people daily submitting for covid tests are testing negative

That's a good thing - the higher the rate of positive tests the higher the probability of missing cases, the higher the probability of untraced community cases, the higher the probability of uncontrolled spread

I don’t give a toss about your informed facts. I know 12 people fully recovered the oldest being 78 that caught in hospital after suffering a mild stroke.

My cousin lost her sense of taste/smell. Guess what, it fully returned. But keep up your post covid doom and gloom hysteria, be my guest.

I know multiple people suffering with long term covid effects.

This is all anecdotal evidence. But your anecdotal evidence doesn't negate ours. Just like ours doesn't negate yours.

You're just lucky I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

US2 wrote: »

No one enjoys being scared, to think that people are enjoying this is the height of ignorance.

How does positive tests have anything to do with it? This is not about the number of cases or worrying about a surge, it is genuine concern about the unknowns of a new illness shown in clear data.

Links and data are being posted to show that while there may be a “mild” category it is relative and may mean that even without hospitalisation, people may suffer long term issues when data considers them “recovered”. Some issues appear minor, others life changing.

So excuse us if discussing exercising a degree of caution is give us all raging boners.

Well I think you're extremely brave to still be plugging away at that narrative, even at the risk of looking very foolish while doing so.

Are you referring to me? No i just don’t let hysteria rule my life. What do you expect me to do about it? Stock up with bog roll,? I take every precaution out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I know someone who died and also someone who recovered fully after a week, it really depends on personal circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lads are we really posting anecdotes to somehow try and undermine the validity of a study of hundreds, like come on

Studies inform and direct debate , anecdotes distract and lower the quality of discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

The issue is it’s a new (to humans) virus. You’re going to see a wide range of reactions and immune responses to it and that seems to be what’s coming up in evidence from around the world.

Well at least we know where you stand in any debate then.

Sure it’s hard to debate when you have a thread full of doom and gloomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Hundreds of thousands of them, and this has been widely known since mid-March.

https://www.click2houston.com/health/2020/03/11/i-had-covid-19-and-heres-my-story-woman-shares-details-of-coronavirus-experience/

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/15/816174103/former-coronavirus-infected-patient

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8110389/Coronavirus-patients-recover-left-damaged-lungs-researchers-claim.html

https://www.thecanary.co/global/world-analysis/2020/03/15/the-other-potential-coronavirus-catastrophe-no-one-is-talking-about/

Being in denial is not an effective strategy against a pandemic, as America are demonstrating.

Two (one elderly, one with a mild disability) out of three that live near me with it have died, the other (overweight but only in their thirties) is never going to have a quality of life resembling what it was before. One perfectly healthy young person I know abroad and his partner no longer have a sense of smell after contracting it. I don't know anyone with "no after effects". So I guess it's relative. I certainly wouldn't presume nobody has any long-term illness, just as I wouldn't presume that everyone will definitely feel knock-on effects after they recover.

My views are informed by facts, instead of by wishing on a star for what I would rather be true (and vehemently opposing anyone who presents any evidence to the contrary).

Firstly, I completely agree with most of what you said. However, I have contradicted the virus (mid 30's, not sporty or by any means fit) and I have zero long term effects - the swab showed positive, I have also had the antibody test which has shown that I have the the antibodies.

In short, I am fitter, healthier and happier than I have ever been in my life so I have to widely disagree with you and call out that you have been very unfortunate to that "I don't know anyone with "no after effects".

The new generation of doomers are more fact driven than the old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Jesus you gotta love this thread

“Doesn’t seem to be long term side effects”
    “Claire Byrne still has issues”
    “Yeah but that’s just one and it’s RTɔ
    “Well 91% of nurses are still suffering fatigue”
    “Yeah but can you prove it’s covid?”

Yet everything on the “all is rosy” side is stuff like “I don’t think we’re having a second wave and if you think you are you’re probably pulling the mickey off yourself”

Yeah, that's an entirely fair and balanced portrayal of both sides of this discussion. No misrepresentation there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Or to debate with someone who "doesnt give a toss about facts"......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Legal residents should not be allowed return? Where is the evidence that the vast majority of those entering are not isolating?

Strawmen ??

Of course they should be allowed to return... If they self isolate for 14 days.

Half of people not answering the phone on the number they gave on the yellow form at the airport and the reports from businesses refusing those who did not isolate, is evidence enough for me.

The government had better make up it's mind quickly if it wants to protect the bio-security of the country or the interests of the Irish Hotels Federation.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Or to debate with someone who "doesnt give a toss about facts"......

I meant to say about facts that over exaggerated. You’ll only hear about the post covid side effects cases. I wonder how many that have recovered around the world that are now 100% in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Yeah right.

Lets not go over the top here

Take that up with the experts if you don't believe them.

It was Dr. Colm Henry who stated that based on actual evidence. Sure there are outliers, as he addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Covid-19 is known to be more dangerous for people with certain underlying conditions.

The question then is how many people have these underlying conditions ?

A team of experts from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine analysed global data sets of illnesses including diabetes, lung disease and HIV used these to estimate how many people are at heightened risk of serious COVID-19 infection.

Answer :- An estimated 1.7 billion people - more than 20 percent of the world's population.

And the proportion is higher in Europe - 30% in danger of serious COVID-19 infection.

If that 30% is applied to Ireland – population = 4,937,786 – at risk group = 1,481,336 people.

But the Trump/Bolsonaro fans and the assorted flu-bros here still say that it's harmless !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The head of the HSE has just announced that they are very concerned about the recent rise in cases and the number of close contacts being reported. Also concerned about people refusing to be tested when they are identified as being close contacts of a confirmed positive case.

I would tend to take his concerns seriously, after all he will be tasked with picking up the pieces again, if we do go backwards.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    The head of the HSE has just announced that they are very concerned about the recent rise in cases and the number of close contacts being reported. Also concerned about people refusing to be tested when they are identified as being close contacts of a confirmed positive case.

I would tend to take his concerns seriously, after all he will be tasked with picking up the pieces again, if we do go backwards.
    To be fair they're not going to come out and say everything's rosey, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Lets not go over the top here

Take that up with the experts if you don't believe them.

It was Dr. Colm Henry who stated that based on actual evidence. Sure there are outliers, as he addressed.

Thanks for snipping my post.

I said yeah right in relation to a HSE executive downplaying any post viral effects one day after nurses union told enquiry that 2/3rds of nurses are experiencing post viral symptoms.

The INMO is demanding that legislation be changed to allow health and safety inspections be carried out on the environmental risk which nurses and doctors are exposed to.

I find the timing more than a little suspect.

I also pointed out and been shouted down previously for these things.

It wasn’t airborne until it was
    Masks didn’t work until they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

R. I. P

A true hero and should be honoured as such.

• Advertisement

Strawmen ??

Of course they should be allowed to return... If they self isolate for 14 days.

Half of people not answering the phone on the number they gave on the yellow form at the airport and the reports from businesses refusing those who did not isolate, is evidence enough for me.

The government had better make up it's mind quickly if it wants to protect the bio-security of the country or the interests of the Irish Hotels Federation.

Here's a novel idea -expect people to have some personal responsibility

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement