Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Here's a novel idea -expect people to have some personal responsibility

Expectation is the mother of all frustrations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

R. I. P

A true hero and should be honoured as such.

RIP

Something that's missed here on these forums is that we really have to suppress this virus as much as possible in our country and within our population.

We learned that healthcare workers are a key group of people infected with the virus. We also now know that there is a long tail illness of the virus going on for several months for some people. We really can't afford a second wave of this virus and for the virus cases to climb and peak again. More healthcare workers will probably become ill and there will be less people to treat and care for sick people in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Thankfully on a positive note i know 12 people who have had it including my cousin that has type 1 diabetes.

All have recovered with no after effects whatsoever.

Good for you.

But understandably I'm not going to take the word of some random online stranger over a bonafide study of medical health professionals when it comes to determining if Covid 19 causes a second long term wave of illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Boggles wrote: »
    Good for you.

But understandably I'm not going to take the word of some random online stranger over a bonafide study of medical health professionals when it comes to determining if Covid 19 causes a second long term wave of illness.

Good for you too. Sure we’ll see longterm. Sure when the vaccine comes out at least you’ll have something else to whinge about regarding longterm effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

It just shows how quickly things are changing : There’s open discussion in France about possibly closing the Spanish border again due to rising case numbers in Catalonia.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/europe/espagne/coronavirus-l-espagne-espere-que-la-france-ne-fermera-pas-sa-frontiere-6914784

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Claire Bryne had it mild and she's still suffering effects after 4 months.

Entirely predictable given who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

owlbethere wrote: »
    RIP

Something that's missed here on these forums is that we really have to suppress this virus as much as possible in our country and within our population.

We learned that healthcare workers are a key group of people infected with the virus. We also now know that there is a long tail illness of the virus going on for several months for some people. We really can't afford a second wave of this virus and for the virus cases to climb and peak again. More healthcare workers will probably become ill and there will be less people to treat and care for sick people in hospital.

Yeah I think the other consideration besides greater risk of illness is how physically and mentally exhausting the last few months have been for healthcare workers. Now with flu season approaching and non-covid procedures resuming, there will be extra pressure on health service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Jesus you gotta love this thread

“Doesn’t seem to be long term side effects”
    “Claire Byrne still has issues”
    “Yeah but that’s just one and it’s RTɔ
    “Well 91% of nurses are still suffering fatigue”
    “Yeah but can you prove it’s covid?”

Yet everything on the “all is rosy” side is stuff like “I don’t think we’re having a second wave and if you think you are you’re probably pulling the mickey off yourself”

Pandemic is affecting everyone differently. Being able to continue working from home or not is a large factor in some of this divide.

Pilots need to fly.
    Publicans need to sell beer.

It might colour people's opinion slightly.

Unfortunately doesn't change the science but Economics important too.

https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/USA-REMOTEWORK/xlbpgbrljvq/index.html

520788.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Covid-19 is known to be more dangerous for people with certain underlying conditions.

The question then is how many people have these underlying conditions ?

A team of experts from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine analysed global data sets of illnesses including diabetes, lung disease and HIV used these to estimate how many people are at heightened risk of serious COVID-19 infection.

Answer :- An estimated 1.7 billion people - more than 20 percent of the world's population.

And the proportion is higher in Europe - 30% in danger of serious COVID-19 infection.

If that 30% is applied to Ireland – population = 4,937,786 – at risk group = 1,481,336 people.

But the Trump/Bolsonaro fans and the assorted flu-bros here still say that it's harmless !

93% of deaths in Ireland had underlying conditions

I didn't get Covid but i have been fatigued all summer due to increased hayfever symptons and being more sedate due to being stuck at home all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Good for you too. Sure we’ll see longterm. Sure when the vaccine comes out at least you’ll have something else to whinge about regarding longterm effects.

I pay to get vaccinated every year lad.

I do it for others not myself.

I imagine you may grapple internally with that concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

What % of general population have underlying conditions though?

I mean I’m not 40 and I have high BP which I have to take an ACE2 inhibitor to control. It’s not lifestyle related, just one of those things.

Around 470,000 of us have asthma.

Huge number have diabetes.

Add in things like inflammatory bowel diseases, minor cardiac issues, arthritis, MS, and countless other chronic issues many people may silently have and you would get up to a very signifiant % of the pop with underlying issues, whether they’re factors in how well or badly they do isn’t entirely clear as correlation isn’t causation, but it’s a huge % of the population to dismiss as “ah sure they’re going to get it anyway... they’re weak!”

For all intents and purposes my BP makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to me and I’m very fit, but I would be categorised as having an underlying condition. I only control it because it might mean preventing issues in my 60s & 70s. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t even know I had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Grand.

Now give me the % of those who knew they had underlying conditions before getting diagnosed with Covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Grand.

Now give me the % of those who knew they had underlying conditions before getting diagnosed with Covid19.

The median age of all covid deaths is 83. I think age is the biggest underlying condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I pay to get vaccinated every year lad.

I do it for others not myself.

I imagine you may grapple internally with that concept.

Not at all “lad”. So do i, bloods done and all. If vaccine comes i’ll be having it. So what’s your point?

US2 wrote: »
    The median age of all covid deaths is 83. I think age is the biggest underlying condition.

Circular arguments continue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭gipi

I didn't get Covid but i have been fatigued all summer due to increased hayfever symptons and being more sedate due to being stuck at home all day.

You're not the only one, me too

Grand.

It is just a figure that the CMO gave out on Monday.

I am not looking for a back on forth on stats from the CMO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would anyone have a link where I can see the cases per 100.000 in all countries ? I was specifically looking for Canadas numbers put cant seem to find anything
    Thank you in advance if anyone has a better idea than I .

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Have Cases per 1M. Just divide that number by 10

• Advertisement

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Have Cases per 1M. Just divide that number by 10

Thank you
    Ps , by my reckoning Canada have less cases per million than we do and they are not on the green list .? Are only European countries on the green list ?

I assume so as NZ would also be on the green list

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank you
    Ps , by my reckoning Canada have less cases per million than we do and they are not on the green list .? Are only European countries on the green list ?

The 14 day cumulative cases per 100,000, which the ECDC use, is about 14 in Canada and less than 5 here. It does appear only countries in the EEA are included however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The 14 day cumulative cases per 100,000, which the ECDC use, is about 14 in Canada and less than 5 here. It does appear only countries in the EEA are included however

eh both countries kinda taking a different approach and don't want you even if they were on a "green list"
    • mandatory 14 day quarantine.
    • Suspended tourism.
    • no foreign nationals allowed to enter.
    The Government of Canada’s top priority is the health and safety of Canadians. To limit the introduction and spread of COVID-19 in the country, Canada has taken unprecedented action, including restrictions on non-essential travel.

Today, the Government of Canada extended the Emergency Order requirements related to mandatory isolation and quarantine until August 31, 2020, for travellers entering Canada. Anyone entering Canada—whether by air, land or sea—will continue to be required to isolate for 14 days if they have COVID-19, or have reasonable grounds to suspect that they have signs and symptoms of COVID-19, or quarantine for 14 days if they do not have signs and symptoms of COVID-19. The Order also clarifies when travellers are required to wear a non-medical mask or face covering. This includes a new requirement for individuals who are otherwise exempt from quarantine to wear a non-medical mask or face covering when in public settings if physical distancing cannot be maintained.

Border measures prohibiting foreign nationals from entering Canada from any country other than the United States subject to certain limited exceptions—which are generally not applicable for optional or discretionary purposes, such as tourism, recreation and entertainment—have also been extended until July 31, 2020.

Border measures restricting all non-essential travel, including tourism and recreation, across the Canada-US border remain in effect until July 21, 2020.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/06/canada-extends-mandatory-requirements-under-the-quarantine-act-for-anyone-entering-canada.html

eh both countries kinda taking a different approach and don't want you even if they were on a "green list"
    • mandatory 14 day quarantine.
    • Suspended tourism.
    • no foreign nationals allowed to enter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/06/canada-extends-mandatory-requirements-under-the-quarantine-act-for-anyone-entering-canada.html

I was asking really about Canadians entry to Ireland . The other way around is completely ruled out .

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I am constantly fascinated at how the media continue to generate alarmist articles on the virus, particularly CCcN, the guardian etc. I note one of the guardian's main articles today is on how 'coronavirus virus takes its toll on Brazilian grave diggers'. They dug deep for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Be interesting to see the county data tonight from yesterday's figures. I'm thinking Dublin may have a big increase depending on whether or not the Townsend cluster was included in Friday's figure or not.

Good for you.

you mean these type Bonefide and eminent types??
    the one thing we can all agree on is that the Professionals never differed so much!

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/04/lancet-retracts-major-covid-19-paper-that-raised-safety-concerns-about-malaria-drugs/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I assume so as NZ would also be on the green list

Irish people cannot travel to NZ, as the country has effectively closed its borders to everyone.

I'm assuming the green list fully takes into account places Irish people can travel without any restrictions at the other end, which is why it is all European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement