Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well, that was totally unexpected.

I wish Dr Holohan and his family all the very best.

He's done a superb job from the start guiding the country through this and must have been under all sorts of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hope Ryanair are happy now with the trouble they've been throwing at him.

If you're going to start that, you may as well say the same about half the posters on the tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not a fan of his politics and some of his decisions but sorry to hear about his family circumstances and wish them all the best

I can't imagine the mental strain he must be going through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I send my best wishes to and my thoughts are with Tony Holohan and family at what must be an extremely difficult time, particularly in these circumstances.

Politics and everything else aside, he and his team did a really remarkable job of jump starting the HSE and pulling out all the stops to ensure we had a far better outcome than could have otherwise happened. The National Public Health Emergency Team has provided excellent advice the whole way through.

I just hope now that the Government (which has finally formed) can get beyond naval gazing about its historic coalition and really needs to get down to the brass tacks of policy around COVID-19 (and rapidly impending Brexit).

I know we have to maintain links with NI, but we need to make decisions in the interest of public safety.

Personally, I think 2020 tourism is going to be utterly weird anyway and we would be far better off to just focus on the domestic market, maybe focus on air-bridges to safe countries (both ways) and just forgetting about the US until 2021. They'll still be there in a year's time and we really could do without having to deal with a second wave.

Failing to take action this time would be reckless and incompetent. We know there's a huge risk and we know the economic and social risk are far higher than any potential benefits.

2020 is not going to be business as usual. It needs to be business in "safe mode."

What's annoying me about this even more is that I would have considered going on a domestic hotel break, but if I'm potentially going to be stuck in a hotel with a load of Americans who've failed to quarantine or be tested, I will be staying at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

Dr Holohan made his concerns about the virus known at great personal expense...he has expressed his worries about the travel situation. We have a new Government looking at itself in the mirror and celebrating its formation....I hope we don't regret these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,270 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

recyclebin wrote: »
    Tony is stepping aside for family reasons.

Thank you Tony CMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hope Ryanair are happy now with the trouble they've been throwing at him.

Dr Holohans personal life has no bearing on how he has behaved professionally to link the two to throw criticism is a cynical exercise tbh. I would argue if he was under so much personal ( no idea that he was however) stress prehaps he should have stepped back alot sooner. I think he has several actions that he has questions to answer, people seem to wish to gloss over his recent behaviour before Covid. Long story short I don't believe he should be canonised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Well, that was totally unexpected.

I wish Dr Holohan and his family all the very best.

He's done a superb job from the start guiding the country through this and must have been under all sorts of pressure.

It's sad news he's stepping down. He did a fantastic job helping us through this crisis. I also express the same. I wish him and his family the very best and I wish to thank him for the fantastic job he did at helping us through this difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ZX7R wrote: »
    If you're going to start that, you may as well say the same about half the posters on the tread.
    Ryanair have been trying to personally cause trouble. Nobody on Boards know him, it's completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Dr Holohans personal life has no bearing on how he has behaved professionally to link the two to throw criticism is a cynical exercise tbh. I would argue if he was under so much personal ( no idea that he was however) stress prehaps he should have stepped back alot sooner. I think he has several actions that he has questions to answer, people seem to wish to gloss over his recent behaviour before Covid. Long story short I don't believe he should be canonised.

It's very sad for Dr Holohan but it is separate to his role.

Ryanair have been trying to personally cause trouble. Nobody on Boards know him, it's completely different.

No. You are making business personal. Ryanair executives are trying to save the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I welcome all the American tourists over the next few weeks

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1278662231400558594?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If someone decides to go abroad, can their employer legally make them quarantine when they return? As in they have to take 2 weeks off work if they can't work from home?

This doesn't apply to me, I'm just curious.

I don't know what it is legally but if I was working in a position where I had a colleague going away on holidays abroad and they come back without quarantine and they become ill and they have been going into work, if I was to get sick from that situation, I would definitely be going down the route of legally seeing where I stand with my employer and neglect. It would be completely neglectful of an employer to turn a blind eye to a high risk scenario like that.

polesheep wrote: »
    No. You are making business personal. Ryanair executives are trying to save the airline.
    I couldn't give two monkeys about Ryanair and neither should you. Ripping off the ordinary person during this.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

We should invite him for a pint in Dublin Airport arrivals gate :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

US2 wrote: »
    I welcome all the American tourists over the next few weeks

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1278662231400558594?s=19
    Darwin awards nominees...ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Renjit wrote: »
    We should invite him for a pint in Dublin Airport arrivals gate :cool:

Why would I? I was never a fan of his even before the present situation. That would be hypocrisy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

He’s some man, Tony. Was present at nearly all the press briefings for the past 3 months. The time he took ill at a briefing and went to hospital, he missed one or two days, and was straight back at it. Remarkable when you consider what was going on in his private life also. He’s made of tough steel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

wadacrack wrote: »
    He did a stellar job during this crisis imo.
    Very sad to see him stepping aside personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

That is so sad about Dr Holohan and his wife. It almost feels like receiving bad news about relative when we've seen Tony almost daily over the last 4 months.

No matter your opinion on the man I think you've got to admire and respect his contributions to Irish public health and sacrifices made since this pandemic began especially with the personal circumstances we now realise he and his family were suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In fairness Ryanair never got personal with him they just released evidence that was contrary to the evidence he relased as CMO.
    It only got personal when Tony in one of his tweets not to listen to information concerning from airlines and he named Ryanair.
    These tweets have since been removed.
    Maybe the pressure did get to him as his personal tweets about not traveling don't fly started last Saturday.
    And I do feel sorry for him my father died in my arms from cancer in palliative care.

I couldn't give two monkeys about Ryanair and neither should you. Ripping off the ordinary person during this.

I don't feel sorry at all for Ryanair. I'm just saying that they were acting to protect their business and the shareholders, which is their duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't know what it is legally but if I was working in a position where I had a colleague going away on holidays abroad and they come back without quarantine and they become ill and they have been going into work, if I was to get sick from that situation, I would definitely be going down the route of legally seeing where I stand with my employer and neglect. It would be completely neglectful of an employer to turn a blind eye to a high risk scenario like that.

It's going to be quite a rude awakening for a lot of people if they discover they've civil legal liability for failing to implement policy, best practice or at least best effort around this. I'm also not sure what the legal ramifications would be for an individual who knowingly put someone at risk.

While nothing's gone to law yet, Ireland's an extremely litigious country, by any comparison.

We're very lucky Ronan Glynn is a fantastic replacement for Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Alot harder to estimate. If your dealing with small clusters R is going to rise. If 1 person tests postive and has 3 contacts but only 1 is positive then your R is 1. Very difficult to be accurate now.

The R number hasn't been the most useful metric in this pandemic anyway, with some people being superspreaders and some people not being infectious at all - makes any theoretical modelling very challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Be right back

Was there a breakdown of which counties were affected by the new cases?

Was there a breakdown of which counties were affected by the new cases?
    County data not released today no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

recyclebin wrote: »
    Tony is stepping aside for family reasons.

Gotta hand it to him for the work he's put in. As anyone who's had a family member enter palliative care will know, it's hard to get through your days doing your normal every day stuff, nevermind the pressure he's been under.

He owes nobody anything, especially the idiots who've been calling for his head for months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement