Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Right get onto the lads at the Jenner institute in Oxford and tell them what's what. I swear the arrogance of some people on here is ridiculous.

Stop fighting with everyone ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Donald tRump, that well known Epidemiologist, Virologist and Public Health Expert, has declared that 99% of Covid-19 infections are "totally harmless", so we can all relax now !

:rolleyes:

The number of infections in the USA regularly tops 50,000 per day, higher than in April when the US was in the first grip of infections.

The World Health Organization reports a record 200,000 cases in one day, amid surging outbreaks in some of the world's most populous countries. Places where poor people have to make the terrible choice between starvation or protecting themselves from the virus.

The global situation continues to deteriorate, with no signs of it easing up in the near future.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    I expect to see cases anyway but I'd be more confident we can find and contain cases a lot better than in March.

Can only find symptomatic cases and anecdotal evidence that people are taking longer to report symptoms so increases risk of further transmission. As CMO has acknowledged will never catch all cases and trace them to break chains of transmissions. Regardless I still think these scenes should be discouraged as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

tom1ie wrote: »
    Stop fighting with everyone ffs

Tell them to stop peddling anti vax nonsense and we have a deal. Maybe mind your own business while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eod100 wrote: »
    Can only find symptomatic cases and anecdotal evidence that people are taking longer to report symptoms so increases risk of further transmission. As CMO has acknowledged will never catch all cases and trace them to break chains of transmissions. Regardless I still think these scenes should be discouraged as much as possible.
    That, unfortunately, is not going to happen. Phillip Nolan has said that virus is virtually non-existent. The main concern now is it being reintroduced by travel, hence the strong comments by the CMO and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Donald tRump, that well known Epidemiologist, Virologist and Public Health Expert, has declared that 99% of Covid-19 infections are "totally harmless", so we can all relax now !

The number of infections in the USA regularly tops 50,000 per day, higher than in April when the US was in the first grip of infections.

The World Health Organization reports a record 200,000 cases in one day, amid surging outbreaks in some of the world's most populous countries. Places where poor people have to make the terrible choice between starvation or protecting themselves from the virus.

The global situation continues to deteriorate, with no signs of it easing up in the near future.

I came in before breakfast just for this reason because I saw this on the news. Jesus Christ, he's a dangerous man and shouldn't be in charge of the country.

It's not a harmless virus. It's killing older people. Younger people is reacting differently to the virus. Some people with no symptoms others who are sick for weeks and months. It's causing damage to organs.

A cold is harmless. This is not harmless.

Where did he get that 99% is harmless from? What's worse is that there will be plenty of idiots who will lap it up, hook, line and sinker.

That, unfortunately, is not going to happen. Phillip Nolan has said that virus is virtually non-existent. The main concern now is it being reintroduced by travel, hence the strong comments by the CMO and others.

The cases are so low because of the measures taken. I'm not naive to think scenes like this will be completely avoided but Gardai and Vinters needs to send a message out. But it doesn't mean we are able to let our guard down and hope for the best either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

thelad95 wrote: »
    I am of the age profile of many of those selfish idiots who were out in Dublin last night and I would like to provide some reassurance to people on this thread that I, nor anyone in my wider social circle as any notion of entering a pub anytime soon.

Firstly your entitled to your opinion and if you don't want to go back into bars or restaurants thats grand nobody is making anyone go into them. That age profile which includes myself and my social circle most of us went out this week and acted responsibly.

The video from last night is in the street, the issue looks to be based off what I've heard from mates working in the area that because the establishments were following the guidelines with capacity being limited and being full in advance with bookings, that walk ups ended up drinking on the street after being told that places were booked up and they wouldn't be getting in.

To be honest with you I was in a pub for lunch on Monday, and then out for dinner twice later in the week. I'd have no issue going back at all to any of the bars / gastro bars I was in, all very well run and never once did I feel uncomfortable.

So long as a premises has the required measures in place I dont see a reason to stay away. If I walk in and they don't then just go elsewhere.

This isn't anything new last night for Dame Lane, Camden Street etc by the way, they've been fairly busy the last few weeks with places doing take outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The cases are so low because of the measures taken. I'm not naive to think scenes like this will be completely avoided but Gardai and Vinters needs to send a message out. But it doesn't mean we are able to let our guard down and hope for the best either.
    How exactly can they deliver that message apart from closing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

But wheres the context?

• Advertisement

Tell them to stop peddling anti vax nonsense and we have a deal. Maybe mind your own business while you're at it.

What’s wrong? You hungover from last night?
    I asked a question on a public forum. Stop attacking my posts and maybe mind your own poxy business.
    Take a time out on the bottom step maybe.

Let them off. They've a pathological need to piss on anything optimistic. If they fancy being strapped to a ventilator they can go right ahead. I'll do whats right for me and those around me. Calling professors working to end this misery arrogant. It's ****ing unbelievable.

You called people arrogant for asking questions about the vaccine you absolute lunatic!
    Calm the **** down young lad.

How exactly can they deliver that message apart from closing up?

Serve people inside, limit how many can drink outside at one time or at all. I don't think it's that difficult. These are all pubs who are meant to be trading as restaurants for the 3 weeks until 20th July. I don't think it's that onerous but if they can't then with they probably shouldn't be open

I've lashes out at people trying to put the Frighteners on the Oxford vaccine. That ****e could potentially kill people. Actually have you contacted the Jenner institute and told them they're full of **** yet?

No one said there full of **** bar you.
    People are entitled to question a new vaccine.
    If you don’t like it piss off elsewhere this is a public forum.

The video from last night is in the street, the issue looks to be based off what I've heard from mates working in the area that because the establishments were following the guidelines with capacity being limited and being full in advance with bookings, that walk ups ended up drinking on the street after being told that places were booked up and they wouldn't be getting in.
    /quote]

Is that people buying drink somewhere else and theh hanging outside the bar? Or buying from the bars they're outside? Looks like Stag's Head closed from the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is that people buying drink somewhere else and theh hanging outside the bar? Or buying from the bars they're outside? Looks like Stag's Head closed from the video.

Mercantile and Dame Tavern were doing big business yeh, serving drinks through hole in the wall.
    But other people unassociated with the businesses werre congregating there because it had a fun atmosphere, buying cans in gayspar or dunnes and heading back to the lane

Bit of both by the sounds of it, few places there PYG being the main one last week or more doing take away, they're the one the garda was giving out to in the video last week. You've also Mercantile and Dame Tavern.

Most of the others stopped the takeout service for pints when they reopened, others are closed and aren't bothering until 20th July.

Then you've some who just came back with cans after being told they weren't able to get in anywhere. Why you'd want to I've no idea, wasn't even a nice day weather wise for outdoor drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Renjit wrote: »
    How do you expect compliance from drunk people?

There are people who ‘become’ drunk. At a good part of their 16 or so hours of the day that they are awake, lucid and fully conscious... they can plan, they can risk assess and choose NOT to enter into a situation though where they drink too much of a drink whereby they become drunk, meaning that their decision making is impaired... because impatient of decision making, with what is going 9n as well as behavioral issues, gonna kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The anti-vaxx movement/stance is dangerous, irresponsible and will cost lives. Not really sure why you’re defending it.

• Advertisement

I asked a question on a public forum. Stop attacking my posts and maybe mind your own poxy business.

Clearly you're hungover from last night judging by your aggressive and pissy tone. Again if you or anyone else fancies 4 weeks on a ventilator because youre afraid of a little needle then go right ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I’ll prob be slatted for this and labelled a “racist” but f**k it.

Look at them videos from dame lane, the majority of these people are foreign. It’s plain as day, this has always been the issue throughout the pandemic. Brazilian students for example are over here on a holiday, throughout phase 1 and 2 whenever the weather was good the canal would be packed with them.

I specifically remember around the spiking of covid that a member of this forum called out that majority of ICU patients in the mater were Roma/Brazilian.

Ireland is a multicultural country with different people from different backgrounds who don’t look upon this pandemic with the same lense. My friends were in town lastnight, they went to one pub for food and drink, they were asked to leave after two hours and upon walking through dame lane they ran out of town back to a friends house for drink.

The new “norm” will be ruined by people who don’t view this issue the same way we do. In order to prevent scenes similar to lastnight you need to start fining people not just publications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Has everyone forgotten that the pubs are still closed? The argument forced on us by the vintners were that since restaurants were opening while observing social distancing, those pubs that actually functioned as restaurants should also be open. Instead this appears to have been implemented as a €9 door charge to go on the piss. I don't see masses of people milling about maskless outside actual restaurants.

After asking retail to police the queues outside their premises for months now, no less should be expected from 'restaurants'. If pubs can't maintain social distancing they shouldn't be open, regardless of what lies they tell about food.

Alternatively maybe we should just be honest for once and abandon all pretence at social distancing and admit that as a nation Ireland has decided that all the old and vulnerable people can just die so that the rest of us can go get pissed.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Mercantile and Dame Tavern were doing big business yeh, serving drinks through hole in the wall.
    But other people unassociated with the businesses werre congregating there because it had a fun atmosphere, buying cans in gayspar or dunnes and heading back to the lane

I think takeway pints/cans drank right outside has to end. Understand it happening while pubs were closed to a point but now they're operating as restaurants needs to end.

Then they'd be able to control the number of people who can congregate outside their pubs better. Let Gardai move people drinking on street to less congregated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

theballz wrote: »
    I’ll prob be slatted for this and labelled a “racist” but f**k it.

Look at them videos from dame lane, the majority of these people are foreign. It’s plain as day, this has always been the issue throughout the pandemic. Brazilian students for example are over here on a holiday, throughout phase 1 and 2 whenever the weather was good the canal would be packed with them.

I specifically remember around the spiking of covid that a member of this forum called out that majority of ICU patients in the mater were Roma/Brazilian.

Ireland is a multicultural country with different people from different backgrounds who don’t look upon this pandemic with the same lense. My friends were in town lastnight, they went to one pub for food and drink, they were asked to leave after two hours and upon walking through dame lane they ran out of town back to a friends house for drink.

The new “norm” will be ruined by people who don’t view this issue the same way we do. In order to prevent scenes similar to lastnight you need to start fining people not just publications.

Any event in Dublin with a lot of young people will be overrepresented by ethnic groups such as Brazilian because they simply make up a large % of the young demographic in the city! Especially with other Irish students from counties outside Dublin gone home now. Having said that though anecdotally I would say some of the foreign people I know have taken it less seriously perhaps because they have not lived here long and would most likely not known any local vulnerable/elderly people personally who would be affected

Must say this new government doesn’t seem to be off to a great start - first with all the travel issues and now the pubs. They’re very very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Clearly you're hungover from last night judging by your aggressive and pissy tone. Again if you or anyone else fancies 4 weeks on a ventilator because youre afraid of a little needle then go right ahead.

But that's exactly the response a person who is against vaccines would use conversely!

I actually didn't see anyone respond with an anti vaccine comment either.

Your reading far too much in to the replies!

Bit of both by the sounds of it, few places there PYG being the main one last week or more doing take away, they're the one the garda was giving out to in the video last week. You've also Mercantile and Dame Tavern.

Most of the others stopped the takeout service for pints when they reopened, others are closed and aren't bothering until 20th July.

Then you've some who just came back with cans after being told they weren't able to get in anywhere. Why you'd want to I've no idea, wasn't even a nice day weather wise for outdoor drinking.

Yeah I just think takeaway pints and cans needs to stop for time being. By rights it should anyway if people are meant to get meal before getting drink or at least in theory.

For people drinking cans bought elsewhere it's harder to enforce, maybe get Gardai to move them up the street. Know Gardai were leniant when pubs were closed as weren't huge numbers in one group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Any event in Dublin with a lot of young people will be overrepresented by ethnic groups such as Brazilian because they simply make up a large % of the young demographic in the city! Especially with other Irish students from counties outside Dublin gone home now. Having said that though anecdotally I would say some of the foreign people I know have taken it less seriously perhaps because they have not lived here long and would most likely not known any local vulnerable/elderly people personally who would be affected

It’s a multitude of things. I have many Brazilian friends, culturally they are very different to irish. Irish are social but they are next level.

Unfortunately many are living in difficult positions. Some of which are sharing rooms with 2-3 other people, try staying at home doing that and let me know how it goes...

So I can understand where they are coming from and the desire to get out with people. I would imagine many of them suffering (like us) with mental health issues due to this crisis.

It’s just a terrible situation for all. However, I do think EVERYONE no matter background, religion, nationality SHOULD respect the governments guidelines.

The anti-vaxx movement/stance is dangerous, irresponsible and will cost lives. Not really sure why you’re defending it.

Wow now hold up. I’m not defending the anti vaxer movement and I am on record on this thread saying that movement is a major problem.
    I said would people be happy to get the vaccine? I said I might have reservations to be first in line. That’s hardly anti anything!
    Don’t know where you are getting my anti vaxer stance from?

Wtf are you on about? You are on here attacking everyone.
    Relax.

• Advertisement

Wtf are you on about? You are on here attacking everyone.
    Relax.

You fired off three expletive laden responses in quick succession in the last page. Seriously have some self awareness.

Must say this new government doesn’t seem to be off to a great start - first with all the travel issues and now the pubs. They’re very very quiet.

Well Harris did.

LVA have just now too: http://lva.ie/lva-utterly-condemns-drinking-on-street-scenes-which-jeopardise-public-health/

petes wrote: »
    But that's exactly the response a person who is against vaccines would use conversely!

I actually didn't see anyone respond with an anti vaccine comment either.

Your reading far too much in to the replies!

Honestly I think he’s lost the plot or something. His posts have always been edgy put he’s off the charts now.

Not much being said in that to be honest, literally a rehash of what they've been saying the last few weeks, 100m away from point of sale etc. As it says this isn't the first weekend this has happened.

The whole buying cans in the shops and going back to Dame Lane is just stupid.

You fired off three expletive laden responses in quick succession in the last page. Seriously have some self awareness.

They were all answering your pissy and aggressive bull**** posts.
    As I said earlier just relax and stop attacking everyone it’s a public forum. If you don’t like off with you.

Wow now hold up. I’m not defending the anti vaxer movement and I am on record on this thread saying that movement is a major problem.
    I said would people be happy to get the vaccine? I said I might have reservations to be first in line. That’s hardly anti anything!
    Don’t know where you are getting my anti vaxer stance from?

You may not realise it but the fact you’re being so defensive makes it come across like you are against it.

They were all answering your pissy and aggressive bull**** posts.
    As I said earlier just relax and stop attacking everyone it’s a public forum. If you don’t like off with you.

Congratulations on becoming a mod when did that happen?

You may not realise it but the fact you’re being so defensive makes it come across like you are against it.

I’ve asked the question if people would be happy to take the vaccine when it first comes out.
    Are you trying to tell me that’s not allowed on this thread?

Congratulations on becoming a mod when did that happen?

About the same time you became one.
    Honestly this is a waste of time. I won’t engage with your crap anymore best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Tordelback wrote: »
    Has everyone forgotten that the pubs are still closed? The argument forced on us by the vintners were that since restaurants were opening while observing social distancing, those pubs that actually functioned as restaurants should also be open. Instead this appears to have been implemented as a €9 door charge to go on the piss. I don't see masses of people milling about maskless outside actual restaurants.

After asking retail to police the queues outside their premises for months now, no less should be expected from 'restaurants'. If pubs can't maintain social distancing they shouldn't be open, regardless of what lies they tell about food.

Alternatively maybe we should just be honest for once and abandon all pretence at social distancing and admit that as a nation Ireland has decided that all the old and vulnerable people can just die so that the rest of us can go get pissed.

You’ve got a good point there. We all have to socially distance queue to get into Tesco, but yet groups of people are allowed to congregate and mingle amongst each other drinking pints. Also, the Dame Lane area isn’t your normal “outside” it’s very sheltered and closed-in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

You called people arrogant for asking questions about the vaccine you absolute lunatic!
    Calm the **** down young lad.

Mod: @tom1ie - take 48 hours away from the thread to learn how to engage in discussion properly.

Not much being said in that to be honest, literally a rehash of what they've been saying the last few weeks, 100m away from point of sale etc. As it says this isn't the first weekend this has happened.

The whole buying cans in the shops and going back to Dame Lane is just stupid.

Agree on both counts. They're blaming it on ''street drinking'' so the people in video really and just a token gesture of remind pubs of their responsibility.

Had to be seen to be doing something though I guess.

Agree on both counts. They're blaming it on ''street drinking'' so the people in video really and just a token gesture of remind pubs of their responsibility.

Had to be seen to be doing something though I guess.

To be fair in the videos there's a very high majority drinking cans which they've gotten out of shops nearby.

I've no idea why anyone would be bothered with that, it wasn't as if it was a lovely summers day in Dublin yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Firstly your entitled to your opinion and if you don't want to go back into bars or restaurants thats grand nobody is making anyone go into them. That age profile which includes myself and my social circle most of us went out this week and acted responsibly.

But you've said you've been meeting different groups of friends in pubs not socially distanced at the same table? That wasn't the plan as I understood it.

(apologies if I've the wrong poster)

To be fair in the videos there's a very high majority drinking cans which they've gotten out of shops nearby.

I've no idea why anyone would be bothered with that, it wasn't as if it was a lovely summers day in Dublin yesterday.

Yeah was wondering had they bought cans from bars but guess it's more likely to be takeway pints if it was from bar.

It's a tricky issue when people do that outside pubs. Think Gardai need to move them on then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: @tom1ie - take 48 hours away from the thread to learn how to engage in discussion properly.

Mod: @LiquidZeb - join tom1ie on his 48 hour sabbatical. Drop the confrontational posting when you return.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    But you've said you've been meeting different groups of friends in pubs not socially distanced at the same table? That wasn't the plan as I understood it.

(apologies if I've the wrong poster)

Went out for lunch with work colleagues Monday, met 2 friends Wednesday night and then the brother and 2 friends Thursday night.

You are correct the guidelines say keep 2m away from those not in your household, I'd like to see anywhere doing that. Goes against the advice that you can meet others from outside your household anyway.

There's a difference between acting responsible in terms of staying at your table, sanitising, having your meal and few drinks and then there's taking the piss moving around the pub to other tables, just going out to get hammered.

As for us we've been keeping track of our contacts even if places are only asking for 1 of the groups details.

Yeah was wondering had they bought cans from bars but guess it's more likely to be takeway pints if it was from bar.

It's a tricky issue when people do that outside pubs. Think Gardai need to move them on then.

Tell the local off licences to close up, stop the local spar etc and it solves alot of the problems.

I'd agree the takeaway pints were a novelty really while bars were closed, no point in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Went out for lunch with work colleagues Monday, met 2 friends Wednesday night and then the brother and 2 friends Thursday night.

You are correct the guidelines say keep 2m away from those not in your household, I'd like to see anywhere doing that.

I think we can take personal responsibility. I know you've mentioned it can't be enforced previously as well.

Do we really need everything to be enforced. We all understood that the plan was. But of course we have to find ways around it :)

• Advertisement

Someone said on here that government was deliberately delaying decision on travel so people would have to holiday here. I thought that was a bit cynical, now it looks fairly spot on, Think communication has been poor on this. Varadkar announced green list would be available by the 9th July, if that's changed then they need to communicate with public and not brief media. Think we deserve to be kept in the loop at the very least.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/flights-ban-could-last-all-summer-as-government-delays-lifting-foreign-travel-restrictions-39341017.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement