Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Renjit wrote: »
    Bald and bankrupt's update

Would you like me to describe in detail the final months, days and hours of my brothers life due to a late missed cancer diagnosis? I can assure you it makes baldies time look like an absolute picnic.

The virus suppression measures will come with severe costs beyond the merely economic. Some of them will be horrific beyond your imagining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Stheno wrote:
    What tests are the Austrians using in their airport that give a result in a couple of hours does anyone know?
    Small lab loacted in Vienna airport.

€190 a go.

Open Monday to Friday 9 to 5. Book in advance. Results between 3 to 6 hours.

Weekends open 10 to 4. Results available the next day.

I can't imagine the have a large capacity. And the price would probably deter a lot of people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that still in play there ? I know they've opened up without tests to EU countries now.

No idea what ones they were using before though.

Dunno tbh havent kept up with all the news

I've no plans to go away anywhere on holiday this year so I'm ignoring that side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Bald and bankrupt's update
    Christ that's terrible, I'm a big fan of his channel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Probably based off this but he didn't give a time frame for it to begin just that 20th July phase 4 now looks like the date for the green list to come into effect

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1151471/

Excellent article.
    When is phase 4 due to be implemented.
    My head's empty my son special needs is having a bad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Christ that's terrible, I'm a big fan of his channel

He's not over 80 or obese , if he ended up on a ventilator its just the luck of the draw with this virus it seems.

A bit of an eye opener its too easy to get complacent .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ZX7R wrote: »
    Excellent article.
    When is phase 4 due to be implemented.
    My head's empty my son special needs is having a bad day.

20th July is phase 4

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

cnocbui wrote: »
    Would you like me to describe in detail the final months, days and hours of my brothers life due to a late missed cancer diagnosis? I can assure you it makes baldies time look like an absolute picnic.

The virus suppression measures will come with severe costs beyond the merely economic. Some of them will be horrific beyond your imagining.

You are shifting the goalposts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Must say this new government doesn’t seem to be off to a great start - first with all the travel issues and now the pubs. They’re very very quiet.

Kelleher (FF) returned no quaranting self isolation, plus CowenGate

• Advertisement

Juwwi wrote: »
    He's not over 80 or obese , if he ended up on a ventilator its just the luck of the draw with this virus it seems.

A bit of an eye opener its too easy to get complacent .
    He is a smoker and massively heavy drinker though, it's not as if he's a healthy person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Stheno wrote: »

Might as well just put you on ignore at this stage

Probably the best thing you will do today. ;-)

0 deaths

18 new cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

s1ippy wrote: »
    You can behave away all you want but if your well-behaved group is in the wrong place at the wrong time and a person with the virus coughs or sneezes near you (which is very possible at any moment you're out; it's a regular occurrence with allergies flaring up at this time of year, smokers around the place etc) you may inhale the droplets of the virus without knowing and pick this up. Outdoor transmission is rare but not impossible and all it takes is to be unlucky one time.

And this will happen forevermore as long as the virus exists no? So it's something that has to be lived with.
    s1ippy wrote: »

"Oh but the virus is at very low levels"

As always, there's no real way of knowing what levels the virus is at, because we're not doing testing of groups within the population and because it spreads asymptomatically with ease.

So CMO recently said “That is not to say that there are not some cases, but we have effectively extinguished it, which was the strategy from the very start. We have it down to a very, very low level. We don’t have widespread community transmission." You don't accept his position I take it?

I would broadly accept it, because notwithstanding your references to asymptomatic transmission happening "with ease", we'd have a lot more hospitalizations if that were really the case right now. And we are hopefully ready to do proper contact tracing if there are any flare ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No deaths and 18 cases.
    With usual Sunday caution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

0 deaths

18 new cases

Good news about no deaths. Any day nobody passes away from this awful illness is a good day

• Advertisement

18 cases with 8000 daily tests is quite impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

polesheep wrote: »
    admonishing young people who are trying to salvage a part of their lives that is all too fleeting
    Hang on, what?

- Don't take the piss in the pubs, and if you go abroad somewhere sketchy, stay at home for two weeks when you get back.

- Help, help, I'm being repressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Cases may be up today, but thankfully there are no deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

branie2 wrote: »
    Cases may be up today, but thankfully there are no deaths
    Agreed but positivity rates are tiny at this stage. Some of that care home testing may also be feeding into the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

18 cases with 8000 daily tests is quite impressive

Any context been given for the big increase in daily testing? I *assume* they are hitting all hospital staff, nursing homes etc... Again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

County cases as of 3rd of July:

Cork +1
    Dublin +6
    Kildare +2
    Limerick +1
    Meath +1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Blood group may play a factor in severity. Just ordered a home testing kit. I hope I get good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Cases up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Good news with playgrounds open and children playing together and seeing grandparents again that it doesn’t seem to have increased the numbers . Great news for the kids

Blood group may play a factor in severity. Just ordered a home testing kit. I hope I get good results.

What sort of testing kit out of curiosity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

County cases as of 3rd of July:

Cork +1
    Dublin +6
    Kildare +2
    Limerick +1
    Meath +1

Where can you find the individual county breakdown of numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Cases up again.

0 deaths from Covid today, just saying.

Analysis of cases as of midnight Friday 3rd July - 25,509 cases (+11)
    Healthcare Workers +1
    Clusters +14

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +1 - 174
    5-14 No Change - 329
    15-24 No Change - 1901
    25-34 +2 - 4289
    35-44 +3 - 4488
    45-54 +4 - 4580
    55-64 +1 - 3255
    65+ No Change - 6371

Cases by County
    Cork +1 - 1541
    Dublin +6 - 12270
    Kildare +2 - 1494
    Limerick +1 - 587
    Meath +1 - 809

Getting these numbers without the press release was a tough one so they may not be 100% accurate

Eod100 wrote: »
    What sort of testing kit out of curiosity?

Eldoncard testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any context been given for the big increase in daily testing? I *assume* they are hitting all hospital staff, nursing homes etc... Again?
    They have been begging people to get tested over the last couple of weeks for the smallest symptom so there's likely to be a big batch of hypochondriacs in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

By my count weekly cases was 91 from 35,252 tests. Its the 3rd week in a row to have weekly cases under 100.

We had 11 deaths this week half the amount of deaths compared to last week hopefully we can get the death count close to zero next week.

Mass nursing home/residential care testing yes + you can get a test if you ask your doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup mass testing of healthcare staff in nursing homes started up again about a week ago. 1 test a week for 4 weeks is what I've heard.

Apart from that if you go to the GP with even a sniffle they appear to be offering referals for tests.

You are shifting the goalposts now.

Oh do please explain how you think I did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Maybe they want to get all that out of the way before borders open up again, because then there needs to be spare testing capacity to react to potential outbreaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

is_that_so wrote: »
    Agreed but positivity rates are tiny at this stage. Some of that care home testing may also be feeding into the numbers.

That is quite possibly the case but I think most nursing homes have it under control at this stage

Eldoncard testing

Sorry meant, what is it testing? Presence of antibodies or for the virus itself?

Sorry meant, what is it testing? Presence of antibodies or for the virus itself?
    blood type test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

What's the thinking behind the severity and blood group theory? Which groups are supposed to be more affected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

mloc123 wrote:

Everyone gets a test pre op as well. Postponed operations are now going ahead. We had a wild amount of them this week.

blood type test

Ah ok. GP should have a record of that to save op's expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Cases up again.

And?

Cases up again.
    And testing increasing massively - great news.

Blood group testing

Seamai wrote: »
    What's the thinking behind the severity and blood group theory? Which groups are supposed to be more affected?

I think blood group A gets it severe and blood group O doesn't get it as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Seamai wrote: »

There were reports back in March, I can't find them now, but it fizzled out as it was initially based on a very small number and didn't hold up under further scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Cases up again.

What does a post like this add to the thread? They're up fractionally due to increased testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If you take 7 EU countries that add up to same population of USA, you'd find it would add up to far more deaths than the USA have had.
    USA is finding 100's of 1000's of positives results of covid of late, but very few deaths.

If you take 7 EU countries that add up to same population of USA, you'd find it would add up to far more deaths than the USA have had.
    USA is finding 100's of 1000's of positives results of covid of late, but very few deaths.

I think you will find the US is just getting started, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems it's spreading among the youth of America, with lil effect to them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement