Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

youandme13 wrote: »
    Well in South Africa's lockdown they weren't allowed buy alcohol or smokes, they had a day or two to stock up for the length of lockdown. Alcohol is not essential.

Is that best example you can come up with? South Africa is nothing like Ireland or many other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    God help the lad. Not only did he have to see 3 months of sacrifice scoffed at, he also had to talk to Brendan O'Connor

Full article here https://www.thejournal.ie/drinking-crowds-dublin-5141940-Jul2020/

What sacrifice,he is a GP,and head of a Doctors representative union,not exactly front line.Brendan O Connor did not present this mornings show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Just learned of someone I know who tested positive for the virus. Only tested because they work in a hospital. Had no symptoms except for a light cold.

I'm baffled by this virus. How it's hitting some people more than others.

The pathogen from this virus is targeting ace2 receptors. Apparently there's ace2 receptors in fat cells. I wonder if it's something to do with the amount of fat on someone's body? The person I know who works in a hospital and had light symptoms, there isn't a bit of fat on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE Daily Operations Update

21 in hospital, increase of 1 since yesterday.
    10 in ICU, decrease of 1.
    No change in ventilations at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

We don’t know it started with one infected person. For all we know 100 people in Wuhan may have made contact with the infected bat(s). Also we certainly know that the spread in Ireland did not start with one infected person. Almost 500 cases associated with travel, the majority of which arrived in March, not to mention the countless other who were asymptomatic or could not get a test in the early days. I would put a conservative estimate at 1,000 seed cases in Ireland from abroad.Will be much easier to control and trace from our current position

I'm not sure where you get your information from.

They have been able to identify patient zero for some of the recent epidemics caused by bat viruses jumping across the species barriers, and they started with one person.

The MERS epidemic started with a 60 year old man in Saudi Arabia who was infected by his camel, who had been bitten by a bat.

A Ebola epidemic patient zero was a 2 year old child in Guinea, Africa, playing in a hollow tree with a bat colony in it.

Opinion now suggests that the present bat virus infected an intermediate animal host and then spread to a human.

They are trying to find patient zero for this pandemic and the evidence suggests that it did not start in the wet market in Wohan. The market was a superspreading event but the earliest cases found had no connection to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As expected during the weekends little movement with regards to the HSE operations update.

As of 18:30 there were 10 confirmed cases in ICU and 7 on ventilators. 1 less confirmed case than yesterday, 0 deaths reported.

As of 8pm there were 21 cases in general hosptial beds, up 1 on yesterday. Increase of 1 coming from 1 confirmed case in Wexford general

owlbethere wrote: »
    Just learned of someone I know who tested positive for the virus. Only tested because they work in a hospital. Had no symptoms except for a light cold.

The pathogen from this virus is targeting ace2 receptors. Apparently there's ace2 receptors in fat cells. I wonder if it's something to do with the amount of fat on someone's body? The person I know who works in a hospital and had light symptoms, there isn't a bit of fat on them.

Are you trying to say the fatter you are the worse the virus?
    Unless he is anorexic he has fat cells all over his body as well

There's ACE2 receptors all over your body

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

fr336 wrote: »
    - Group of over 200 scientists demand WHO acknowledge Covid is an airbourne virus which can linger in the air and therefore masks should be compulsory indoors.
    That is excellent news, thanks for sharing. If shop workers, office staff and education professionals are advised to wear masks which are supplied by their employers they will all be much safer. Bit late for it but it would be a very positive development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

The ACE2 receptors it the virus binds to are in the lining of your lungs, primarily anyway. Fat cells wouldn't have much to do with it.

People with underlying health conditions seem to do worse, and generally things like being overweight, having heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes etc etc just puts you at more risk generally in a lot of scenarios, not just for COVID-19.

Some of it may also be down to pot luck and genetics too, we don't know though.
    A lot of it is speculation. Even most of the papers being quoted by some media and social media sources are often non-peer reviewed, non-published and even just stuff from academic blogs.

There is however some research going on in the UK that will be interesting when it comes out. They're sequencing the genomes of thousands of people who've been hit with this very badly and comparing it with a baseline of the general population.

If there are clear and strong 'signals' that there are some genetic markers that make people more vulnerable, it will likely show up in the next few weeks / couple of months. If it's something more subtle, it will take longer. However, this kind of research (and there are other projects like this going on elsewhere too) should help map who's most or more vulnerable and also which drugs might have the best chance of hitting it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This is like a post from Thread #2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What else will 2020 throw at us?

Bubonic plague now found in China.

You should probably stay cocooned for the rest of your life

fritzelly wrote: »
    You should probably stay cocooned for the rest of your life

I don't know where to hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

There are regular small outbreaks of Bubonic Plague. It's even present in the USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

Nothing new.

Also, despite its grizzly history, it's treatable with antibiotics if identified quickly anyway.

I don't know where to hide.

Anywhere outside China should be grand - Siberia maybe, Antarctica is pretty free of viruses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There is bubonic plague in america too, I remember there was a small outbreak a few years ago and there are usually a handful of cases a year. So many things lurking out there waiting to kill us! Part of life unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Think it's important to note the following -

"Plague cases are not uncommon in China, but outbreaks have become increasingly rare.

From 2009 to 2018, China reported 26 cases and 11 deaths."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/bubonic-plague-inner-mongolia-warning-marmots-a9602611.html

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    There is bubonic plague in america too, I remember there was a small outbreak a few years ago and there are usually a handful of cases a year. So many things lurking out there waiting to kill us! Part of life unfortunately

I was expecting another pandemic with this.

There are regular small outbreaks of Bubonic Plague. It's even present in the USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

Nothing new.

Also, despite its grizzly history, it's treatable with antibiotics if identified quickly anyway.

Okay, I was getting worried for a moment with the thought of another pandemic.

I was expecting another pandemic with this.

When you think about it its amazing life survives on planet Earth - everything is out to kill ye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

They eat rats over there in China. Would explain the bubonic plaque. They need to stop eating filthy rats and bats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anywhere outside China should be grand - Siberia maybe, Antarctica is pretty free of viruses

Either there or ISS but tis a long trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Kind of different post as a musician and someone who also loves to listen to music I post this as it sums up some of the mix of feelings that I have had over the last months...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

speckle wrote: »
    Kind of different post as a musician and someone who also loves to listen to music I post this as it sums up some of the mix of feelings that I have had over the last months...

Is a damn good song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

fr336 wrote: »
    Group of over 200 scientists demand WHO acknowledge Covid is an airbourne virus which can linger in the air and therefore masks should be compulsory indoors.
    s1ippy wrote: »
    That is excellent news, thanks for sharing. If shop workers, office staff and education professionals are advised to wear masks which are supplied by their employers they will all be much safer. Bit late for it but it would be a very positive development.

Excellent news to some perhaps, but not proof that it is the main method or indeed a significant means of transmission. If it was, plenty would have caught it in the supermarkets over the last 3 months. Which was predicted by many. They didn't though, as community transmission at the moment is practically zero.

For balance - in relation to their claim, "Paul Hunter, a professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia and a member of the WHO’s infection prevention committee, said the WHO had struck the right balance in its advice.

“Aerosol transmission can occur but it probably isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things. It’s all about droplets,” he said. “Controlling airborne transmission isn’t going to do that much to control the spread of Covid-19."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

To be fearful during a pandemic - how dare they eh. Instead of positive comments like "don't worry, it's not as bad as you think etc", and the thread moves on, they have to be belittled instead. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Is a damn good song

There is such a big fear with musicians at the moment of when will ever get back to singing and sharing songs live in public because of the high risks if transmission. I dream of all these little lights in each of our homes each night all over the earth as we play in silence with no one to share and hear our songs. Yes we can internet but it is a poor subsitute to being present with others as we all sing and share songs of our hopes or sadness or joy and laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I'm not sure where you get your information from.

They have been able to identify patient zero for some of the recent epidemics caused by bat viruses jumping across the species barriers, and they started with one person.

The MERS epidemic started with a 60 year old man in Saudi Arabia who was infected by his camel, who had been bitten by a bat.

A Ebola epidemic patient zero was a 2 year old child in Guinea, Africa, playing in a hollow tree with a bat colony in it.

Opinion now suggests that the present bat virus infected an intermediate animal host and then spread to a human.

They are trying to find patient zero for this pandemic and the evidence suggests that it did not start in the wet market in Wohan. The market was a superspreading event but the earliest cases found had no connection to the market.

They still havent found patient zero, feeding the lab escapee theory..
    https://thebulletin.org/2020/06/did-the-sars-cov-2-virus-arise-from-a-bat-coronavirus-research-program-in-a-chinese-laboratory-very-possibly/

Fauci has been funding the lab in wuhan to investigate coronaviruses:
    http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/new-coronavirus-emerges-bats-china-devastates-young-swine

Not sure what part has been debunked? Norweigen and indian scientists saying its not a natural virus.
    Both papers pulled not because of the science but the opinions

Add to that obama outlawed gain-of-function experimentation so they had to move it offshore.

Looks like an accidental clusterf**k to me..

One of my favs!

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    They still havent found patient zero, feeding the lab escapee theory..
    https://thebulletin.org/2020/06/did-the-sars-cov-2-virus-arise-from-a-bat-coronavirus-research-program-in-a-chinese-laboratory-very-possibly/

Fauci has been funding the lab in wuhan to investigate coronaviruses:
    http://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/new-coronavirus-emerges-bats-china-devastates-young-swine

Not sure what part has been debunked? Norweigen and indian scientists saying its not a natural virus.
    Both papers pulled not because of the science but the opinions

Add to that obama outlawed gain-of-function experimentation so they had to move it offshore.

Looks like an accidental clusterf**k to me..

We get it - you have an agenda - conspiracy forum ---->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The dangers of downplaying the virus...

One of the few African governments to downplay the threat of the virus was Burundi, whose president Pierre Nkurunziza said that Burundians would be spared the disease because they “put God first,” arguing that God had “cleared the coronavirus from Burundi’s skies.”

On 8 June, Nkurunziza became the first head of state to die from the virus, aged 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

They eat rats over there in China. Would explain the bubonic plaque. They need to stop eating filthy rats and bats.

In uncontrolled environment even your bacon will be filthy :cool: In general, meat is a greater source of diseases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The first person who caught it could have been asymptomatic so they might never find patient zero. They can trace so many other epidemics with relative certainty to the first case, even in times with no smart phones... or hardly any reliable hospital records at all, in some cases. It's very troubling that it might not be possible, only fueling the theories that it was lab-made.

Yippee, more conflict!

One of the few African governments to downplay the threat of the virus was Burundi, whose president Pierre Nkurunziza said that Burundians would be spared the disease because they “put God first,” arguing that God had “cleared the coronavirus from Burundi’s skies.”

On 8 June, Nkurunziza became the first head of state to die from the virus, aged 55.

Well isnt that ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Of course, mentioned them in my other post. Especially bar staff who will have no choice to interact with people and could have siblings, parents, grannies, sons, daughters etc with underlying conditions.

Just one example, Ireland has one of the highest rates of cystic fibrosis rates in the world. Think it's 1 in 19 here. Not right or fair that people have to continue to cocoon just so pubs can cram people in.

If we need to live with the virus then it's everyone needs to live with it, not just the young and healthy. And with this virus even that may not prevent you from getting seriously ill or dying. Some perspective needed here.

Life is rarely right or fair. Young people are going to gradually get back to their lives. It is inevitable. It will happen by creep. The only way everyone can emerge from this happy is with a vaccine or the virus mutates away to insignificance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You better tell the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52984119

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Advertisement

Its in the BMJ - would expect them to have some kind of authority on it

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m2685

The BBC report is from a month ago

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    8000 hospitalised - that’s wrong right?

It's Fox news - not known for their integrity as a news site.

where are they fitting them all. They have apro 29million six times the size of Ireland. Correct me we had a max 250ish in hospital max at the highest piont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It's Fox news - not known for their integrity as a news site.

The gas thing is, with the US right now o didn’t automatically cop it as being so ridiculous

Its in the BMJ - would expect them to have some kind of authority on it

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m2685

The BBC report is from a month ago

Did anyone from the BMJ carry out an autopsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    8000 hospitalised - that’s wrong right?

I think that couldn't be right..New York was seeing about 3000 people being hospitalised per day at it's very peak..Texas has a 50% bigger population than New York but still . If it is right well then wow Texas could not have ****ed up any worse

• Advertisement

Did anyone from the BMJ carry out an autopsy?

Well everyone around him had it and being a pretty fit guy it's a bit suspicious to say the least
    https://www.ft.com/content/a232c62b-ded1-4dd4-8ca7-a5bb5214987f

where are they fitting them all. They have apro 29million six times the size of Ireland. Correct me we had a max 250ish in hospital max at the highest piont?

Thought you might enjoy this version.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=933394430452927&id=546224585836582&sfnsn=mo&d=n&vh=e

Well everyone around him had it and being a pretty fit guy it's a bit suspicious to say the least
    https://www.ft.com/content/a232c62b-ded1-4dd4-8ca7-a5bb5214987f

His death was recorded as a cardiac arrest though.
    I know in certain countries if you fell to your death but tested positive for Covid , Covid was the cause of death not the fall.

Yes I did and so did my cats! thankyou.
    beautiful imagery and ooh what a rumble of percussion. His voice would be lost in a mine but would sound beautiful in a cavern.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I think that couldn't be right..New York was seeing about 3000 people being hospitalised per day at it's very peak..Texas has a 50% bigger population than New York but still . If it is right well then wow Texas could not have ****ed up any worse
    Last date I can see on june 26 there was 5106 in hospital
    latest today here

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/0d8bdf9be927459d9cb11b9eaef6101f

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement