Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Nearly 20K on the app now. Not a bad start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

spookwoman wrote: »

I think the most important part was "users cannot self-diagnose with the app".

That would have been a complete disaster.. imagine a few idiots setting it to "I have Covid-19, LOL" and then running around a busy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Polar101 wrote: »
    I think the way the Gardai have handled this isn't the best.. Dame Lane is such an obvious place for a drunk crowd gathering that if they really wanted (or could) do something about it, they would have. Now they didn't do much, since the crowds were allowed to gather there. So the "this isn't good" tweets are a bit disingenious.

Yeah look I've the utmost respect for the Gardaí, heck I'm waiting to apply myself but from what I've heard from people working in the bars around the area they did absolutely nothing all day, let the crowds build, did a walk through about 7-8pm ish, some even agreed to get in photos with those who asked them, then later in the evening they started to tell people to leave the area but this was well after the video had started doing the rounds.

For what was described by the commissioner today as a public order incident it was handle awfully. All it would have taken was a handful of Gardaí in the area moving people on earlier in the day, if needs be issue a warning under the public order act (1994) to leave the area, part of the act states.

"without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is acting in a manner which consists of loitering in a public place in circumstances, which may include the company of other persons, that give rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace,

the member may direct the person so suspected to do either or both of the following, that is to say:

(i) desist from acting in such a manner, and

(ii) leave immediately the vicinity of the place concerned in a peaceable or orderly manner."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Covid Tracking App liked and shared, hope I get contacted, I never win anything lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I've never wished it on anyone but I hope this is true

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes . Pissed off really cos was meant to be at a concert on Saturday night, which was cancelled , then see that video on social media !
    Feels like one law for some , and another for others :(

Yeah I think the Gardai needed to take a more firmer stance when it was clear nobody was moving on after a short while. Damage was already done in terms of social media etc when they decided to tell people to go home.

I highly doubt we'll see it repeated this weekend, I'd expect a few more public order units on for the the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulh266

They should play Daniel O'Donnell music in public places to stop large crowds gathering 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Operations report is out.

18 in hospital, down from 21
    ICU remains unchanged.

EDIT: 3 cases confirmed in hospital - wexford, tullamore and also CHI Crumlin :(

HSE update for today.

As of 18:30 , 10 covid patients in ICU, 7 ventilated. No change on yesterday

As of 8pm, 18 paitents in general beds, down 3 on yesterday.

Beaumont added to the major hospitals with 0 cases in general beds, 1 case in ICU. Same situation in St Vincents. St James's has been covid free in both ICU and general beds for a while now.

Galway University hospital also now covid free.

Operations report is out.

18 in hospital, down from 21
    ICU remains unchanged.

EDIT: 3 cases confirmed in hospital - wexford, tullamore and also CHI Crumlin :(
    Offaly had +3 yesterday so there must be something going on there. Fairly certain Crumlin had one last week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Only surprised he didn't get it sooner tbh

Thats the second in wexford, they were +1 today, offaly had +3 yesterday so there must be something going on there. Fairly certain Crumlin had one last week too.

Pretty sure the wexford case was +1 last night in the 8pm figure. Its showing as 1 in the 8am from this morning so it could be the same case being within the 24hrs.
    0 cases in wexford general hosptial tonight so that 1 case from yesterday has been discharged home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Polar101 wrote: »
    I think the way the Gardai have handled this isn't the best.. Dame Lane is such an obvious place for a drunk crowd gathering that if they really wanted (or could) do something about it, they would have. Now they didn't do much, since the crowds were allowed to gather there. So the "this isn't good" tweets are a bit disingenious.

Yes ,and the Stag's Head haven't even opened up yet because they knew it would be an issue .
    It will have to be sorted before July 20th somehow , and think there must be other places in Limerick, Waterford , Cork and Galway where crowded pubs and lanes are a. also an issue . Not just Dublin , surely ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Interesting article on long term effects for 'mild' cases. I know one personally, tested positive, only had mild flu symptoms. Deep fatigue still 2 months later. Healthy active before.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/06/coronavirus-covid-19-mild-symptoms-who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

ElTel wrote:
    With such low numbers of positives atm could, or perhaps should they be doing batch testing instead? I'm not sure that's the correct term but if 50 (say) swabs are given one test, testing speeds up and you and other techs workload would be more efficient?
    I read that certain labs were doing that. It might have been in Germany. That would be a way of increasing throughput.
    I don't know/think the platforms Irish labs are using would be suitable or recommend it.

Mixing many patient samples together increases the risk of contamination, or dilution of the viral load within the samples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I've never wished it on anyone but I hope this is true

If only his North American counterpart would be so lucky.

Yeah look I've the utmost respect for the Gardaí, heck I'm waiting to apply myself but from what I've heard from people working in the bars around the area they did absolutely nothing all day, let the crowds build, did a walk through about 7-8pm ish, some even agreed to get in photos with those who asked them, then later in the evening they started to tell people to leave the area but this was well after the video had started doing the rounds.

For what was described by the commissioner today as a public order incident it was handle awfully. All it would have taken was a handful of Gardaí in the area moving people on earlier in the day, if needs be issue a warning under the public order act (1994) to leave the area, part of the act states.

"without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is acting in a manner which consists of loitering in a public place in circumstances, which may include the company of other persons, that give rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace,

the member may direct the person so suspected to do either or both of the following, that is to say:

(i) desist from acting in such a manner, and

(ii) leave immediately the vicinity of the place concerned in a peaceable or orderly manner."

Almost as if they wanted to make a point , eh stephenjmcd ?

I read that certain labs were doing that. It might have been in Germany. That would be a way of increasing throughput.
    I don't know/think the platforms Irish labs are using would be suitable or recommend it.

Mixing many patient samples together increases the risk of contamination, or dilution of the viral load within the samples.

Even if they were only doing 5 or 10 at a time?
    With our positivity rate at the moment surely it would make sense would it not?
    Maybe doing contacts of a confirmed case on an individual basis as there is more chance of a positive

• Advertisement

Almost as if they wanted to make a point , eh stephenjmcd ?

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the reaction was oh sh1t this is out online we've to be seen to do something now, send a few lads down to clear it.

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the reaction was oh sh1t this is out online we've to be seen to do something now, send a few lads down to clear it.

Or , "this new government need a bit of a wake up call, can't be letting us do all the heavy lifting without legislation "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

AdamD wrote: »
    Surely drinking outdoors is actually safer if anything. Putting some actual organisation around it may be a better approach than forcing everyone indoors

If they're indoors they're under social distancing rules and only a certain amount allowed in at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

Downloaded the app, now staring at it, red eyed, waiting for the alarm to explode into action...

paulh266 wrote: »
    They should play Daniel O'Donnell music in public places to stop large crowds gathering 🀣

Oh no , that would be worse than the virus ..a new generation of Daniel O' Donnell fans 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Very interesting video on the economic impact due to Covid in US. Using real data. Lots of things evident. It's a bit long so worth skipping to the conclusions.

"State mandated reopening early doesn't change depressed economic activity due to fact that high income people are able to self isolate". This disproportionatlity affects low income jobs in high income areas in hospitality / restaurant /leisure sectors.

Reopening without solving the health concerns doesn't restart economy in those areas. People who can isolate do. There needs to be a signal that the health risk is actually reduced.

edit: data here. Very intuitive and detailed. Great if we had that here. Might exist. Saw something about revolute from gov.

https://tracktherecovery.org/

Or , "this new government need a bit of a wake up call, can't be letting us do all the heavy lifting without legislation "

Could have just used the public order act in the end if they wanted in terms of clearing out the area. DCC byelaws probably would have done the job to start with.

Probably would have needed something else to stop the off trade in the area.

Seriously though if a pub is full and you don't have a booking just walk to another part of town, you'll find somewhere accpeting walk ins, I'd rather go home than stand around Dame Lane drinking cans.

Could have just used the public order act in the end if they wanted in terms of clearing out the area. DCC byelaws probably would have done the job to start with.

Probably would have needed something else to stop the off trade in the area.

Seriously though if a pub is full and you don't have a booking just walk to another part of town, you'll find somewhere accpeting walk ins, I'd rather go home than stand around Dame Lane drinking cans.
    It's actually fairly sad all the same you'd wonder like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

fritzelly wrote:
    Even if they were only doing 5 or 10 at a time? With our positivity rate at the moment surely it would make sense would it not? Maybe doing contacts of a confirmed case on an individual basis as there is more chance of a positive
    If the assay manufacturers don't recommend it or approve doing that, they wont stand over your results. The results wouldnt be valid.

Assays need to be carried out as the manufactures intended them to be. Any deviations or manipulations of the assay can fvck up the results when they're not designed to be measured that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Over 30K downloads before official release tomorrow.
    What would be that ideal number of users based on German figures?
    400-500K downloaded?

• Advertisement

Offaly had +3 yesterday so there must be something going on there. .

Cowen family meeting to discuss little Barry and his troubles !

It's actually fairly sad all the same you'd wonder like

Yeah look I've done it before when going to sporting events on the walk to stadiums, its a fairly common sight to see people with a few cans walking up towards Croke Park on a match day, but wouldn't be bothered going into town on a Saturday afternoon and standing there for a few hours just for the sake of it because you couldn't get into a bar. Just book ahead or walk to somewhere not as busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Where do I get the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

owlbethere wrote: »
    Where do I get the app

The App Store on iPhone / Google Play Store on Android I assume

ongarite wrote: »
    Over 30K downloads before official release tomorrow.
    What would be that ideal number of users based on German figures?
    400-500K downloaded?

Where you see 30k? iOS?
    On the play store it's saying 500+ downloads

fritzelly wrote: »
    Where you see 30k? iOS?

Was actually just about to ask the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Where you see 30k? iOS?

In the app, contact tracing icon on bottom has app registrations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Where you see 30k? iOS?

That takes a while to update on the play store and I think has various categories, next one is prob 1k, then 10k, etc but might not update live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Got the app thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Do they have a Bubonic Plague tracing app yet?

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2020/07/06/bubonic-plague-mongolia/

What next from china's part of Asia?

Dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty old place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Apparently Bluetooth exposure notifications are unavailable in my region, tho I’m using beta iOS 14, my wife’s phone seems to work with it.

I’m on the ios beta 14 i’m getting the same message not available in my region.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m on the ios beta 14 i’m getting the same message not available in my region.

Obviously an issue with the version - like most software beta is not always without bugs

I'll try to stay from anyone on that version

old_aussie wrote: »
    Do they have a Bubonic Plague tracing app yet?

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2020/07/06/bubonic-plague-mongolia/

What next from china's part of Asia?

Dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty old place!

There is plague all around the world every year. The media is blowing it up hoping people click the stories so they make money from clicks.

Seems to be working.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/weve-lost-control-of-pandemic-top-adviser-says-as-active-cases-spike/

Israel may be the first country in the world to impose a second national lockdown , seems insane I can't believe any country would willingly destroy its economy with a second lockdown

How is a second lockdown any worse than stop start nonsense? It's been proven via the decreasing numbers and in other places that it can be eradicated. Eradicate it in Europe and get on with life should be the aim

ShyMets wrote: »
    From an economic perspective its apples and oranges. Australia's economy is similar to america, more domestically based.

We our a much more open economy. Realistically we cannot afford to cut ourselves off for a prolonged period

Nope, international students are one of Australia's biggest 'exoports', up there with mining in contribution to GDP. Australia is an export import economy like all the other western ones.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately you don’t hear much about other thousands of bars in South Korea the same night that didn’t have the issue.

There’s been house parties, can on the canal, etc going on throughout the lockdown. Protests, funerals over the limit, etc. None have led to spikes.

The issue here though is that if everyone looks at this and thinks, **** it it’s all safe, covid is gone, there may be further outbreaks. The chances of someone being asymptomatic in dame lane on Saturday are very very slim, but there are infections in the community. Considering we’re testing like mad and our positivity rate is a number of factors lower than even the false positivity rate of PCR tests, it is likely we’ll see spikes happening and hopefully be able to contain them for the most part.

In Australia when western Australia, Queensland south Australia and the northern territory started opening up again we expected spread again but it never happened. It was amazing to find there was no residual hidden transmission going on in asymptomatic people. Of course the minor difference being those states waited until they were free of reported cases for a few weeks.

Prevalence is so low in Ireland there may not be a big outbreak in 2 weeks time. But it seems inevitable with open borders and low community transmission.

Seems like the amount of effort that needs to go into flattening the curve is so close to what's needed for eradication that you end up with the Choice of endless stop start shut downs, eradication, or letting it rip.

I hear people say just make the old and vulnerable lockdown while everyone else gets on with life. Those cohorts are huge. Factor in their loved ones who would also need to lockdown and forget it. People are going to get angry with holiday makers in the event of further outbreaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Warnings from a 'mild' case...

https://twitter.com/DaniOliver/status/1279155358666305541

Just curiousdoes anyone here know anyone with a mild (offically diagnosed) case who ISNT battling symptoms months later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Just curiousdoes anyone here know anyone with a mild (offically diagnosed) case who ISNT battling symptoms months later?

I know of 10 people who have had it, 8 were sick to varying degrees (bad flu to worst flu ever type of sickness), 2 pretty mild to asymptomatic. None have any lasting symptons. They had it march/april.

SeaBreezes wrote: »

I know of at least 5 people who had it, One finished up in ICU - 76 with underlying conditions but pulled through, but still not great. The rest had no after effects and are all back in work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Melbourne back in full lockdown, never thought there would be more full lockdowns, just restrictions, so that basically means more full on lockdowns coming in Europe

Great!

That will surely kill the limping economy, hey I probably won't get covid but I'll be kicked out of my house and starve to death on the ****ing streets!!!

But hey - I won't get covid!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement