Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think its a fantastic number given the official launch was only a few hours ago. I'd say that number has even taken the HSE by surprise

Despite what you read here and on social media imo Irish people have a tendency in the most part to be quite socially responsible

The smoking ban was a great example of it

COVID is an even better one, if you told me three months ago we'd be where we are now I'd have been sceptical and in the main, it's down to the behaviour and responsibility of people

Any chance the mainstream media might report this? Probably not

Are AFP not as mainstream as they come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Melbourne - Sydney is the second busiest domestic air route in the world with over 54,000 scheduled flights in both directions. (2019 figures).

I imagine there has been less flying since the pandemic but Australia will be very lucky if they can avoid further spread from the Melbourne hotspots.

In their favor is the fact that poor immigrant families, associated with the infected security men, are not frequent fliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Stheno wrote: »
    Despite what you read here and on social media imo Irish people have a tendency in the most part to be quite socially responsible

The smoking ban was a great example of it

COVID is an even better one, if you told me three months ago we'd be where we are now I'd have been sceptical and in the main, it's down to the behaviour and responsibility of people

So much this .... we see pictures online and the narrative seems to be everyone is at but if this has taught me anything is majority of irish people are good.

You will always get a percentage that are just dicks but by the numbers over the last 6 weeks it's a smaller percentage than I taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Martin tells the Dail that testing in nursing homes is currently back underway and has in 1 nursing home given as an example picked up 5 asymptomatic cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is one reason that politicians and others should shut up until they find out what they can do!
    The Minister for Transport has said a mandatory quarantine is not possible to enforce for those entering Ireland but stricter control measures are set to be introduced.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0707/1151833-coronavirus-travel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Melbourne - Sydney is the second busiest domestic air route in the world with over 54,000 scheduled flights in both directions. (2019 figures).

I imagine there has been less flying since the pandemic but Australia will be very lucky if they can avoid further spread from the Melbourne hotspots.

In their favor is the fact that poor immigrant families, associated with the infected security men, are not frequent fliers.

Yeah, just looking at that Melbourne thing. The lockdown is fairly strict. Strictest I've seen in "West" so far. Residents saying it's like prison.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53316350?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5f044e713718820671e9ac84%26Melbourne%20tower%20lockdown%20%27like%20being%20in%20prison%27%262020-07-07T12%3A39%3A46.618Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:17c1f3b4-c077-4a68-a533-1c7407bc7b66&pinned_post_asset_id=5f044e713718820671e9ac84&pinned_post_type=share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Zero deaths in Northern Ireland for the 4th day running. 5 additional cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Zero deaths in Northern Ireland for the 4th day running. 5 additional cases.

When you think of population difference and us having 0 deaths and 4 cases yesterday it's very positive. I know one day doesn't give full picture but hopefully a sign of steady progress for both Ireland and Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems to be more then just a routine test for Bolsonaro, one of their media reporting that he has symptoms;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/bolsonaro-experiencing-covid-19-symptoms-says-cnn-brazil-1.4297784

The best outcomes here are that he tests negative, or he ends up dead or on a ventilator.

If he tests positive and manages to get through it, he will use that to pump up his tough guy bullsh1t and others in the region like Trump will similar use it as proof that it's no big deal once you're strong enough.

At least if he dies, it might change the course of infection control in Brazil and the rest of South America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yeah, just looking at that Melbourne thing. The lockdown is fairly strict. Strictest I've seen in "West" so far. Residents saying it's like prison.
    I don't think that's a "standard" lockdown, the media reports suggest that it is likely there are multiple infections in residents in those areas, and they haven't all been tested. A bit like a cruise ship - they're not letting anyone out until they are tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

seamus wrote: »
    Seems to be more then just a routine test for Bolsonaro, one of their media reporting that he has symptoms;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/bolsonaro-experiencing-covid-19-symptoms-says-cnn-brazil-1.4297784

The best outcomes here are that he tests negative, or he ends up dead or on a ventilator.

If he tests positive and manages to get through it, he will use that to pump up his tough guy bullsh1t and others in the region like Trump will similar use it as proof that it's no big deal once you're strong enough.

At least if he dies, it might change the course of infection control in Brazil and the rest of South America.

Strange post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Martin tells the Dail that testing in nursing homes is currently back underway and has in 1 nursing home given as an example picked up 5 asymptomatic cases.

The Journal commenters will cream themselves when the numbers go back up to double figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

He's only 65, it's quite unlikely he will die. Though hospitalisation may well be necessary

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wadacrack wrote: »
    Strange post

Think it's the irony of Bolsanaro coming down with it, and given he's in a high risk group in terms of age, the likelihood of it impacting more than just being a "little flu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

App registrations showing over 400k for me, thats excellent after not even 24hrs

Mine says 225k
    Is there a way to update the figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

God just reading about that Victoria lockdown , sounds fairly heavy duty didn't realise it was being taken so seriously , thought the new way of fighting covid had adapted a bit in recent months toward a more Swedish or South Korean style approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mine says 225k
    Is there a way to update the figures ?

That's check ins today, goto contact tracing at the bottom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/07/italian-town-vo-asymptomatic-coronavirus-covid19-cases-andrea-crisanti

A study of coronavirus infections that covered almost everyone in the quarantined north Italian town of Vò found that 40% of cases showed no symptoms - suggesting that asymptomatic cases are important in the spread of the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bb1234567 wrote: »
    God just reading about that Victoria lockdown , sounds fairly heavy duty didn't realise it was being taken so seriously , thought the new way of fighting covid had adapted a bit in recent months toward a more Swedish or South Korean style approach

The Swedish style? The unnecessary slaughter of 1000s of people?

Did you mean Denmark?

• Advertisement

Strange post
    How so? Bolsanaro has taken the "only a flu" approach in Brazil, and is the reason why the virus is running away with it there. He's taking a strongman-dictatorship approach to governance.

This means there are national and political ramifications to the outcome of his test, and any subsequent recovery. In many ways, Bolsonaro testing positive and surviving the virus will likely give him the impetus/support to push on with the same policies that have allowed the virus to burn out of control in Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Some posters on here objected to Kermits 'tone' when he (a couple of days ago) started highlighting the rise of cases in OZ, and now look at Melbourne.
    He was spot on.

At the same time, the 'tone' seems to have changed to discussions about 'hands down pants', 'creaming themselves' when referring to articles about numbers rising.

Calling 'crush the curvers' flat-earthers, fear-mongers, and ridiculing any article that expresses concern about rising cases.
    You know, we heard all this language 3 months ago when people were saying #Itsjusttheflubro.
    And those people were wrong, and many people died.

But Im perplexed with the many posts/references to w*nking over bad news... I DEFINATELY do not like the 'tone' of those posts.

While you are entitled to post anything that pops into your head, not liking the insight I'm getting into some of those minds.. ewww..

Keep it to the facts lads, really don't need further insight into your psyche thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Some posters on here objected to Kermits 'tone' when he (a couple of days ago) started highlighting the rise of cases in OZ, and now look at Melbourne.
    He was spot on.

At the same time, the 'tone' seems to have changed to discussions about 'hands down pants', 'creaming themselves' when referring to articles about numbers rising.

Calling 'crush the curvers' flat-earthers, fear-mongers, and ridiculing any article that expresses concern about rising cases.
    You know, we heard all this language 3 months ago when people were saying #Itsjusttheflubro.

But Im perplexed with the many posts/references to w*nking over bad news... I DEFINATELY do not like the 'tone' of those posts.

While you are entitled to post anything that pops into your head, not liking the insight I'm getting into some of those minds.. ewww..

Keep it to the facts lads, really don't need further insight into your psyche thanks..

Found that very strange too. I think a bit of "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

He was spot on.

mmmm keep going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting law the Italians have! Completely understandable they'd want to enforce it too given what they've been through.
    Italy’s Trattamento Sanitario Obbligatorio (mandatory medical treatment) is usually applied only in mental health cases, but can be enforced on those with an infectious disease.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/07/italy-could-section-people-who-refuse-treatment-for-covid-19

He was spot on.

He was dead right about the second wave in China too.

Oh wait......

is_that_so wrote: »
    Interesting law the Italians have! Completely understandable they'd want to enforce it too given what they've been through.
    We have a similar power here to detain someone who is a public health risk and is refusing to comply with directions. It's not designed for a pandemic though, it requires arrest, court appearance and a senior medical person's involvement (I think the CMO, though I'm not sure).

How so? Bolsanaro has taken the "only a flu" approach in Brazil, and is the reason why the virus is running away with it there. He's taking a strongman-dictatorship approach to governance.

This means there are national and political ramifications to the outcome of his test, and any subsequent recovery. In many ways, Bolsonaro testing positive and surviving the virus will likely give him the impetus/support to push on with the same policies that have allowed the virus to burn out of control in Brazil.

Its not the only reason. Its hitting South America very hard for a number of reasons, not just political ones. I wouldn't wish death on a forum to anyone. Its odd. It hit Boris Johnson very hard and didn't seem to alter England's approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/07/jair-bolsonaro-coronavirus-positive-test-brazil-president

Can't say I'm not optimistic about this development for the population of Brazil. My very close friend is Brazilian and she lost her otherwise completely healthy mother (50 years old) to covid last month. I attribute this loss and all the other senseless, preventable deaths there directly to his sociopathic behaviour. Some might say that's going too far but I don't care in the least.

Though Boris made it out alright and I was full sure he's unhealthy enough for it to have a bad result... I guess there's definitely superior care given to these maniacs who wield power over others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I downloaded the app and im sad to say it doesnt work on my phone, just comes up with connection error, its an older android phone that no longer gets updated and as I understand it the app needs the exposure notification api to work properly which my phone doesnt have.

Really did want to use this bugger it anyways

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Live Q&A from WHO press conference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

shinzon wrote: »
    I downloaded the app and im sad to say it doesnt work on my phone, just comes up with connection error, its an older android phone that no longer gets updated and as I understand it the app needs the exposure notification api to work properly which my phone doesnt have.

Shin

Yes, my phone is too old for it apparently.

Seems the app is being shared widespread, both of my parents have been told by their employers (albeit one is the HSE) to download it immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shin

How old? It works on Android 6 and above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Seems the app is being shared widespread, both of my parents have been told by their employers (albeit one is the HSE) to download it immediately.

It's been shared in almost every whatsapp group I'm in - from friends in mid-30s, to family, wider family, work, housing estate etc.

I said on here last night I was optimistic about uptake but never thought it would be this widespread and in such a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭maebee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's not yet unpleasantly warm or humid there yet. South Carolina has very pleasant weather at the moment and their numbers are shooting up.

My comment was about why seasonality might not be as simple as winter / summer - I suspect the majority of the numbers in the USA is simply down mismanagement and poor public attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Shin

Make + Model (and Android Version)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Fully expecting a few doom narrative headlines from this WHO Q&A.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

For what it's worth Italy reporting 137 cases and 30 deaths.
    No sign of any significant resurgence more than a month into reopening everything

maebee wrote: »
    Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

Know him well? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

For what it's worth Italy reporting 137 cases and 30 deaths.
    No sign of any significant resurgence more than a month into reopening everything

That still sounds like a lot floating around in the community though? I wonder what are hospital capacities like. It's good that they can clearly operate with that level of the virus in the country. That's what we need to be able to do.

I just got off the phone with my friend from Brazil who says more than likely Bolsonaro is faking it to promote Hydroxychloroquine as a cure.

Fuck anyway.

MadYaker wrote: »
    That still sounds like a lot floating around in the community though? I wonder what are hospital capacities like. It's good that they can clearly operate with that level of the virus in the country. That's what we need to be able to do.

Consistently getting in the 100's with a 60m population seems very sustainable

Consistently getting in the 100's with a 60m population seems very sustainable
    that's approximately 10 cases per day for us, 12 times the population

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement