Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Two of those have seen a resurgence.

A resurgence as in localised spikes is it? What about England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Almost all have, yes.
    Can you name these countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I personally believe that, with the sophistication of our contact tracing system and our mass testing programmes, a second wave is not inevitable.
    Plus we now have a new toy to add to the toolset. Even if there is a larger rise in cases we now know the likely pressure points and can focus on those more intently. There will not be a repetition of what happened in care homes. We're mentally ready too, given that about 75% are expecting/looking forward to a 2nd wave!

I'm nearly 100% certain today's cases include a backlog - zero cases recorded for Dublin on Saturday, now Dublin -15 for Sunday with incredibly low cases yesterday, I reckon Dublin will see a jump tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

On the denotification point. In the same way these could be from a few weeks ago, the 24 new cases could also have accumulated. So I would go for an increase of 7 cases.

Remember, cases are pretty meaningless by themselves as getting to zero is not the aim. Treating those that need treatment is the aim of the balancing act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

shinzon wrote: »
    Its updated to miui 10.2.1 which is the last operating system update for that phone and is on 6.0.1 of Android

Shin

Yea I suspect the google covid layer came out after that - it does mean your not getting the latest security updates which is a pain and you will need to be somewhat careful (don't want to get a virus on your phone - see what I did there!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The "de notified cases" thing is very misunderstood. Unless I'm getting this very wrong, but this was how it was explained to be by a HSE worker friend:

Those 17 cases could have happened anytime in the last 3 months and then been de-notified

They have absolutely nothing to do with today's 24 cases

Fully understand it, don’t worry.
    It’s the fact we could’ve had a couple of days of no cases in the past month is what I’m saying

ESTIMATES: How COVID-19 is spreading
    Community Transmission 8420 (-55)
    Close Contacts 16482 (+17)
    Travel Abroad 587 (-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

On the denotification point. In the same way these could be from a few weeks ago, the 24 new cases could also have accumulated. So I would go for an increase of 7 cases.

Remember, cases are pretty meaningless by themselves as getting to zero is not the aim. Treating those that need treatment is the aim of the balancing act.
    It's a bit like the old cases that went to Germany. They didn't affect current reporting but were added to the total. So today would be 24 and the total would be -17 is how I'd see it.

I think the biggest sign of this is Dublin had 0 cases for the past two days. Doesn't make any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Stheno wrote: »
    That's almost five years old and using a very old version of Android if it's not been updated.

My phone runs Bada, what is Android? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I can’t understand how Florida and Texas aren’t locking down again, things don’t seem to be improving in either states at all and I see Trump is scheduled to visit Florida in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Almost all countries coming out of lockdown are seeing a resurgence.

Considering nearly all countries that have eased lockdowns are in Europe, Asia and Oceania I would contend otherwise.

So tolerant of you ...

What can I say, I rather like the Amazon as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

New to boards.ie. Just reading through some of this thread. So many posts!

Have one question. We've done well and are continuing to do so. I know it's a bit of a 'what are the lotto numbers' question but what do posters think is the likelihood of a second wave later in the year?
    I personally believe that, with the sophistication of our contact tracing system and our mass testing programmes, a second wave is not inevitable.

I'd agree with what AC said, but would add that people's attitude and behaviour would also need to be consistant.

2nd waves might be more of a thing in developing nations or developed nations with pschycopaths in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Almost all have, yes.

Care to elaborate on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

All the app fans, will you self-isolate for 14 days if you get an exposure alert (i.e. the point of the app?)

Surely the point would also be to go get tested

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Santy2015 wrote: »
    17 cases denotified as well so not all bad.

what does denotified mean in this context?

The positive tests on the COVID dashboard for the last 24 hours is +13, basically confirming that today was a backlog.

• Advertisement

Considering nearly all countries that have eased lockdowns are in Europe, Asia and Oceania I would contend otherwise.

Well that's wrong for a start:
    Resurgence of virus threatens South Korea's success story
    Singapore sees sharp rise in coronavirus cases as the country once seen as a model for tackling Covid-19 is hit by fast-moving second wave of infections
    China steps up emergency footing as coronavirus flares up again in Beijing
    Iran warns of virus resurgence after 51 new deaths

Shall I continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Can you name these countries?

The WHO only noted the resurgence in Europe two weeks ago. Baltic States and a lot of eastern Europe.

China, South Korea, Japan, Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would anyone know if you have to have mobile data switched on an I phone to have the Covid app work ?
    My husband never turns on mobile data and uses only wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ESTIMATES: How COVID-19 is spreading
    Community Transmission 8420 (-55)

Is that minus 55 cases Citizen?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Well that's wrong for a start:

-

Shall I continue?
    South Korea reported 44 more COVID-19 cases on Tuesday, with the number of imported cases exceeding domestic cases for the first time in two weeks, report the Korean Herald.
    South Korea imported...
    The vast majority of Tuesday's cases were 134 work permit holders residing in foreign worker dormitories, MOH said.
    Singapore imported...
    Beijing on Tuesday (July 7) reported zero new coronavirus cases for the first time since the emergence of a cluster in the Chinese capital in June that prompted fears of a domestic second wave.
    Beijing 0 cases.

Iran's first wave never ended.

Shall I continue?

Is that minus 55 cases Citizen?
    yes

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Would anyone know if you have to have mobile data switched on an I phone to have the Covid app work ?
    It doesn't use data, only bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No, just BT

No, as long as Bluetooth is on that app will store the identifier of anyone within two metres 15 minutes or longer. He'll just need to be connected if he wants to receive an exposure alert or upload his own close contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No, as long as Bluetooth is on that app will store the identifier of anyone within two metres 15 minutes or longer. He'll just need to be connected if he wants to receive an exposure alert or upload his own close contacts.

Thank you everyone for replies

Shall I continue?

No thanks, you have made my point. The virus can last longer than we can last economically, preventing humans from traveling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Have one question. We've done well and are continuing to do so. I know it's a bit of a 'what are the lotto numbers' question but what do posters think is the likelihood of a second wave later in the year?

No-one can say for certain if there will be a 'second wave'. At the moment things look good - the new app launch will help with tracking and testing, and it looks like any clusters will be detected and dealt with (as was the case with the Sligo cluster earlier). But when international travel restrictions are eased, there will be more challenges.

If there is a vaccine sometime in the next year or so, we might be able to manage until then, without things getting out of control.

cnocbui wrote: »
    No thanks, you have made my point. The virus can last longer than we can last economically, preventing humans from traveling.
    Oh you're a WUM, fair enough.

The WHO only noted the resurgence in Europe two weeks ago. Baltic States and a lot of eastern Europe.

China, South Korea, Japan, Australia.

Resurgence is strong language that doesn't fit the countries you quote. Israel is a example of country that would. But not nearly all countries. Not by a long shot. I could list 50 + countries that haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

yes

55 cases in Dublin de-notified?

What time span does that cover? A week?

Thanks

Latest testing data

Test Conducted (last 24 hours): 6,122
    Total Tests (last 7 days): 44,355
    Positive Tests (last 24 hours): +13 (proves backlog today, this is less than the 24 reported)
    Positivity Rate (last 7 days): 0.2%

55 cases in Dublin de-notified?

What time span does that cover? A week?

Thanks
    This is community transmission cases denotified, and re-allocated, Dublin was -15 yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

All the app fans, will you self-isolate for 14 days if you get an exposure alert (i.e. the point of the app?)

Yes - and get tested - and be especially very carful around vulnerable folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Yea I suspect the google covid layer came out after that - it does mean your not getting the latest security updates which is a pain and you will need to be somewhat careful (don't want to get a virus on your phone - see what I did there!!!)

Yeah Stephen Donnelly on RTE news there said it needs to be android version 7 or above for the app to work oh well, have been considering updating the phone for awhile but im just so damned attached to the old chuffer its like the little engine that could it just keeps going.

Shin

Resurgence is strong language that doesn't fit the countries you quote. Israel is a example of country that would. But not nearly all countries. Not by a long shot. I could list 50 + countries that haven't.

Fair enough, an increase in cases has been seen then.

When we do open back up fully and we see a further increase in international travel inward and out, do you think our track and trace system will be enough to prevent a second wave?

There's not a hope that our country will be as compliant with any form of lockdown during the winter months, especially around Christmas time. There's every chance that this virus will spread more effictively in the colder months with immune systems low so I just can't see us being out of the woods.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've installed the app but cannot enable the contact tracing piece. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Am checking for updates at the minute

• Advertisement

Looks like there was a significant increase in Dublin yesterday.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1280553588125810696?s=21

Good info. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thats a clinical diagnosis isn't it ? Not necessarily translating to a postive test.

I do think your right in saying today includes a backlog from Dublin as cases hadn't been reported in the last 2 days which is unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Thats a clinical diagnosis isn't it ? Not necessarily translating to a postive test.

I do think your right in saying today includes a backlog from Dublin as cases hadn't been reported in the last 2 days which is unusual

If they are positives, they’d be notified tomorrow I assume?

Santy2015 wrote: »
    If they are positives, they’d be notified tomorrow I assume?

Depends on how quick the test was processed. If they got done and to the labs yesterday they'll be in today's but yeah apart from that tomorrow will have any results returned today.

I’m assuming it relates to positive notifications received by a GP because no doubt some GPs make a number of “diagnoses” a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm expecting at least 8 waves.

I’m assuming it relates to positive notifications received by a GP because no doubt some GPs make a number of “diagnoses” a day

Yeah I'm fairly sure its a clinical diagnosis without a test, just going by the graph because it gives an average of those clinically diagnosed and the avg who meet the testing criteria. Nothing to mention confirmed cases.

Like I said I like yourself reckon there's been a delay in reporting in Dublin last 2 days. Will be interesting to see the county breakdown today

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

France? Italy? Spain? Denmark? Belgium?

Suggest the Financial Times website as the best one for gauging resurgence and comparing countries.

BTW that link was for cases per million inhabitants rather than number of cases.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=fra&areas=ita&areas=esp&areas=prt&areas=grc&areas=irl&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usnj&cumulative=0&logScale=1&perMillion=1&values=cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'm expecting at least 8 waves.

Was with you up to 7, but quite frankly you'll have to persuade me further or provide a source for 8.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement