Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm expecting at least 8 waves.

Surfs up, get waxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Looks like there was a significant increase in Dublin yesterday.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1280553588125810696?s=21

8 cases is hardly a "sharp uptick" is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

New to boards.ie. Just reading through some of this thread. So many posts!

Have one question. We've done well and are continuing to do so. I know it's a bit of a 'what are the lotto numbers' question but what do posters think is the likelihood of a second wave later in the year?

Welcome!

Good question. Nodbody knows. Here's some highly scientific graphs though. :D

519115.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Was with you up to 7, but quite frankly you'll have to persuade me further or provide a source for 8.

Bill gates is working on wave 8 with the reverse vampires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Stheno wrote: »
    I've installed the app but cannot enable the contact tracing piece. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Am checking for updates at the minute

Did you press the any key?

press_any_key_837.png

• Advertisement

Welcome!

Good question. Nodbody knows. Here's some highly scientific graphs though. :D

519115.jpeg

Not sure which door I'd like to choose

The middle one maybe? Get the brunt of it out of the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Bill gates is working on wave 8 with the reverse vampires.

Dont so silly, we all know reverse vampires are extinct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Pistachio19

I've installed the app but cannot enable the contact tracing piece. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Am checking for updates at the minute

Your phone might be too old, like my prehistoric iphone5. It won't work with older phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

There must be a good chance this virus will eventually burn itselve out like the Spanish Flu after the 2nd wave hit? We mightn't even get a 2nd wave.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

That’s your classic Boris bosh,
    Take it on the chin like a real man 1918 style.

Luckily there are no world wars. If we wanted to opt for that approach we’d have to incentivise the spread by offering free drink in overcrowded pubs for those mad enough to get the ball rolling. Maybe 10 euro flights to area worst affected.

Hopefully it’s door number 3. We’ll have to strap ourselves in and find out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

AdamD wrote: »
    Surely the point would also be to go get tested

No.

The incubation period after being infected and before showing symptoms is assumed to be a maximum of 14 days (hence, that forms the basis of our existing rules about self-isolation, sans the app).

If you are 'pinged' as a close contact and test negative today, you would still, rightly, have to self-isolate (i.e. not go to work, shops unless absolutely necessary).

That’s your classic Boris bosh,
    Take it on the chin like a real man 1918 style.

Well I'd rather not be compared to that absolute gobshíte ;-)

So maybe door number 3?

The wave after number 2 still looks quite significant, even after a rough looking curve

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No.

The incubation period after being infected and before showing symptoms is assumed to be a maximum of 14 days (hence, that forms the basis of our existing rules about self-isolation, sans the app).

If you are 'pinged' as a close contact and test negative today, you would still, rightly, have to self-isolate (i.e. not go to work, shops unless absolutely necessary).

You get tested on day 0, the day your identified as a close contact & day 7

It doesn't use data, only bluetooth

To share your contact info with the servers if you test positive, or to get notification that you are a contact you would need mobile data or WiFi

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Your phone might be too old, like my prehistoric iphone5. It won't work with older phones.

It needed an update :) It's a fairly new phone, less than two years old, the update fixed it :)

So the App will tell me if I've been in contact with anyone that had it?

Couple of questions:
    • How far back does that go? 30 days?
    • How are people finding it affects their phone's battery? Having an App that constantly tracks your location must surely drain anything below an iPhone XS?I have Location Services switched to Off on most Apps for this reason

Couple of questions:
    • How are people finding it affects their phone's battery? Having an App that constantly tracks your location must surely drain anything below an iPhone XS?I have Location Services switched to Off on most Apps for this reason

It doesn’t track your location. Only phones you have been in the vicinity of that also have the app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Couple of questions:

Not sure how far it goes back, but it's only storing digits so I'd imagine it can go as far back as you have it active. It would only need to go back 3 or so weeks anyway.

The app doesn't use location services, it uses Bluetooth to track who you are near for longer than 15 minutes.

GooglePlus wrote: »

The app doesn't use location services, it uses Bluetooth to track who you are near for longer than 15 minutes.

Doesn't having Bluetooth constantly on drain battery faster too?

Easy to know I need a phone upgrade eh?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Doesn't having Bluetooth constantly on drain battery faster too?

Easy to know I need a phone upgrade eh?

You could just have bluetooth on when you leave your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Not sure how far it goes back, but it's only storing digits so I'd imagine it can go as far back as you have it active. It would only need to go back 3 or so weeks anyway.

Everything older than 14 days is deleted

If it uses low power bluetooth, I doubt it would make much difference. There's a big difference between this type of app and playing music to wireless headphones.

Bluetooth-infographic.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You could just have bluetooth on when you leave your house?

I was wondering about that. Presume you would still get the push notification to say you were in close contact with someone if bluetooth was off ya? As in you just need to have it on when out and likely to be in contact with people?

Think it works through keys and so would be via data not bluetooth and that bluetooth is only needed to see if devices were in contact

He’s fairly confident he’ll be grand. Athletic history and all......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eod100 wrote: »
    I was wondering about that. Presume you would still get the push notification to say you were in close contact with someone if bluetooth was off ya? As in you just need to have it on when out and likely to be in contact with people?

Think it works through keys and so would be via data not bluetooth and that bluetooth is only needed to see if devices were in contact

BT is used to store the ID of other app users when you are out and about and in close contact for more than 15 minutes

For push notifications and for the app to update it's positive keys (so it knows if to alert you) you need internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for coronavirus

Now hoping for a second positive outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

3 surely? 2 means biggest wave yet to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

cnocbui wrote: »
    Now hoping for a second positive outcome.

Rumours it’s an elaborate hoax, to back up his claim that it is not that serious. He’ll recover in 2 days and say how great he is, a bit like kim jong il’s first ever round of golf when he shot 4 hole in ones.

3 surely? 2 means biggest wave yet to come

I don't like this TV quiz show

All the doors are zero craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The app is heading towards 800k downloads by tomorrow, incredible uptake

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Rumours it’s an elaborate hoax, to back up his claim that it is not that serious. He’ll recover in 2 days and say how great he is, a bit like kim jong il’s first ever round of golf when he shot 4 hole in ones.

Rumours or conspiracy theories? Rumours have a starting point close to him and conspiracy theories are just looking at the situation and applying convoluted logic to match one's biases.

He's been exposing himself to the possibility of getting it for ages. The obvious takeaway is that he got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,662 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is 24 the highest in a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Only just saw that there were 17 cases denotified today also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is 24 the highest in a few days

If you look back at ACitizenErased's posts, its likely a backlog.

Yeah Dublin didn't report any cases for the last 2 days in the county figures I think it was, which has to be a mistake

• Advertisement

Indeed. There was only 13 positive tests last 24 hours yet 24 reported.

Was thinking app could get to 1m downloads by Friday but at this rate could be next day or two

HSE Operations report out.

As of 18:30, 9 covid paitents in ICU with 7 ventilated. Down 1 on yesterday.

Big drop in general hosptial beds today.
    As of 8pm there were 12 covid patients in general beds, down from 18 yesterday.

0 postive tests reported from hospitals today

That's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eod100 wrote: »
    Was thinking app could get to 1m downloads by Friday but at this rate could be next day or two

Impressive tbh, what's the % the HSE is hoping for?

• Advertisement

That's fantastic.

yup it is. 0 postive tests reported in hospitals today also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

We’re doing so well. It would be such a pity if things started to to worsen again. Tired of the scare mongering from RTÉ at this stage. On Primetime again tonight it’s all doom and gloom and the risks of us doing this and that. How much longer are they going to get the wooden spoon out to threaten us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Does that mean no new cases will be reported tomorrow then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

We’re doing so well. It would be such a pity if things started to to worsen again. Tired of the scare mongering from RTÉ at this stage. On Primetime again tonight it’s all doom and gloom and the risks of us doing this and that. How much longer are they going to get the wooden spoon out to threaten us.
    Stopped watching Primetime as it’s always focused on the negative. Like with the hse operations report, they could announce that during the show to give out some positivity. We’re doing great, app has/will have 800k downloads by midnight, very few in hospital, testing and tracing is working. Tested nearly 50,000 in the last 7 days. Not far off 500,000 tests done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

No, that’s just cases that were confirmed in hospital. There may be community or care home cases tomorrow. Hopefully a small number again.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Just no cases confirmed in hospital labs

wadacrack wrote: »

Yeah have signs in work now to only use lifts if you have mobility issues. Pros and cons to that as then more people use stairs but meant to social distance and guess more chance of virus dissipating in greater space than lift say.

And lately have signs on toilets so only one person can use bathrooms at one time. Not sure that does much if it filters in air but still might help I guess.

Nothing new there so from RTE. We've heard the same stuff over and over again for weeks and months, dont open up shops early, don't do this dont do that. So far touch wood there's been no ill effect to any of the reopenings and we'll have a fair idea by the end of this week / start of next how phase 3 is going.

Personally I think the doom and gloom you describe is to keep the public compliant. Look at travel for example, now it's dont travel that means your kids might not be able to go to school at the end of August, when that statement cant exactly be backed up in countries that have both opened schools first and restarted travel within the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Looks like Tallaght is now covid free as of 8pm?

Just had a look, there’s one in Crumlin at 8am?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement