Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Eod100 wrote: »
    Was thinking app could get to 1m downloads by Friday but at this rate could be next day or two

And nearly 500k actually interacting with the app - not just downloading to have look and then uninstalling it
    Good numbers - will encourage others who may have been in two minds to actually use it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Stopped watching Primetime as it’s always focused on the negative. Like with the hse operations report, they could announce that during the show to give out some positivity. We’re doing great, app has/will have 800k downloads by midnight, very few in hospital, testing and tracing is working. Tested nearly 50,000 in the last 7 days. Not far off 500,000 tests done.

Yup we're testing like absolute crazy at the moment and the positivity rates are absolutely tiny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Looks like Tallaght is now covid free as of 8pm?

Just had a look, there’s one in Crumlin at 8am?
    That's from yesterday

The app has passed 800,000 registrations

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Looks like Tallaght is now covid free as of 8pm?

Just had a look, there’s one in Crumlin at 8am?

Yup Tallaght looks covid free in the general beds, they reported 2 cases at 8am and reporting 0 at 8pm, now we've seen glitches with Tallaght before but at best its 2 cases.

The Crumlin case was reported yesterday in the 8pm testing report, as it was still within 24hrs since the positive test its still reported at 8am. The timeframes cover a 24hr period, so 0 cases reported from hosptial labs 8pm to 8pm today. I've queried before why they're reported like that and a family member who's a nurse said it was just the way the HSE asked hosptials to report. Would be much easier if they just said in the past 24hrs we've confirmed x amount of cases in hosptials, instead of breaking down the times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

wadacrack wrote: »

Is Ireland doing any tracing like this, like tracing back to elevator use?

It shows just how serious the whole thing. 1 person affecting 70 more and that's just spending a few minutes in an elevator.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Just deleted a number of posts discussing and speculating as to why a user was banned,can ye please stop this and get back on topic.

Thanks.

Yeah have signs in work now to only use lifts if you have mobility issues. Pros and cons to that as then more people use stairs but meant to social distance and guess more chance of virus dissipating in greater space than lift say.

And lately have signs on toilets so only one person can use bathrooms at one time. Not sure that does much if it filters in air but still might help I guess.

I have a fear of using public toilets because of all this.

If you wash your hands there should be no fear. You'll only get it if you touch your face with dirty hands.

• Advertisement

If you wash your hands there should be no fear. You'll only get it if you touch your face with dirty hands.

Really? Wash my hands? It's aerosols that can linger in the air.

Really? Wash my hands? It's aerosols that can linger in the air.
    If you're in a public toilet you should be wearing a mask? Just like a shop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Yup Tallaght looks covid free in the general beds, they reported 2 cases at 8am and reporting 0 at 8pm, now we've seen glitches with Tallaght before but at best its 2 cases.

The Crumlin case was reported yesterday in the 8pm testing report, as it was still within 24hrs since the positive test its still reported at 8am. The timeframes cover a 24hr period, so 0 cases reported from hosptial labs 8pm to 8pm today. I've queried before why they're reported like that and a family member who's a nurse said it was just the way the HSE asked hosptials to report. Would be much easier if they just said in the past 24hrs we've confirmed x amount of cases in hosptials, instead of breaking down the times

Ah gotcha, thanks for the explanation

Edit: Crumlin also has none in general beds as of 8pm so likely not too serious thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Shows importance of wearing masks.

You'd also wonder if Trump wasn't in power in US, Bolsonaro in Brazil and maybe to lesser extent Johnson in UK, how many lives would have been saved. Know it's hypothetical so impossible to know but shows importance of having solid and competent leaders at time of crises.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1280615163788312576

If you're in a public toilet you should be wearing a mask? Just like a shop..

I have no problem with wearing a mask. But the mask doesn't protect me. So I can still get infected because not everyone wears a mask.

I have no problem with wearing a mask. But the mask doesn't protect me. So I can still get infected because not everyone wears a mask.
    Don't wear a mask so? That's your own opinion

• Advertisement

Impressive tbh, what's the % the HSE is hoping for?

I'm not sure if they put an exact precise figure or percentage but maybe other posters might know? I guess as many as possible as then it's more effective.

Think 60% of the population have smartphones so guess as many of them as possible.

Don't wear a mask so? That's your own opinion

That's not my opinion though. Masks protect others. It doesn't protect the wearer.

I'm not sure if they put an exact precise figure or percentage but maybe other posters might know? I guess as many as possible as then it's more effective.

Think 60% of the population have smartphones so guess as many of them as possible.

60% of population is req’d for success if it’s a standalone tracing method. As it’s a “companion” to everything else we have in place, I’d say 10-20% adds value to the effort. Either way, I don’t think anyone could have predicted such an uptake so fast.

There's many reasons not to use some public toilets - the virus is only one of them

60% of population is req’d for success if it’s a standalone tracing method. As it’s a “companion” to everything else we have in place, I’d say 10-20% adds value to the effort. Either way, I don’t think anyone could have predicted such an uptake so fast.

Oh yeah, it's brilliant. If we could get that buy-in for masks it would be even better! But the mandatory on public transport seems to has increased people wearing them in fairness. Speaking of which, are the laws still to be brought in for that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's not my opinion though. Masks protect others. It doesn't protect the wearer.

That's increasingly being disputed by scientific data which is starting to find it protects the wearer also

You could of course choose to stay away from any public space to minimise your risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I have a fear of those revolving doors. What happens if someone sneezes walks out and then I walk in straight away? Is it better to let it revolve a few times to clean the air before using? Or better to avoid those buildings altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Facepalm.jpg

Oh yeah, it's brilliant. If we could get that buy-in for masks it would be even better! But the mandatory on public transport seems to has increased people wearing them in fairness. Speaking of which, are the laws still to be brought in for that?

Unfortunately, yes, still to be done.

I mean unfortunately in the sense that ideally we shouldn’t need to make it law. We’ve a bunch of tools to use against Covid, none alone will make it 100% safe and even using them all will still leave some risk. It’s why I hate people arguing against masks because “you might still catch it” or “you might become complacent in other things like handwashing.” When in reality if everyone masked up in the right environments, washed hands and kept some distance we could really kill this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a fear of those revolving doors. What happens if someone sneezes walks out and then I walk in straight away? Is it better to let it revolve a few times to clean the air before using? Or better to avoid those buildings altogether?

How good are you at holding your breath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

HSE Operations report out.

As of 18:30, 9 covid paitents in ICU with 7 ventilated. Down 1 on yesterday.

Big drop in general hosptial beds today.
    As of 8pm there were 12 covid patients in general beds, down from 18 yesterday.

0 postive tests reported from hospitals today

Superb numbers. Thanks for update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

eigrod wrote: »
    Only just saw that there were 17 cases denotified today also.

Can someone please explain to me what it means when cases have been denotified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

eigrod wrote: »
    Only just saw that there were 17 cases denotified today also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Masks do protect you though. I'm not sure why they pushed the line that they dont

cnocbui wrote: »
    Facepalm.jpg

I'm waiting for someone who tested positive to come out with how they don't understand how they picked it up and they done all the handwashing.

• Advertisement

michellie wrote: »
    It's data washing. Literally removing cases that might have been double counted, invalid etc.

I'm waiting for someone who tested positive to come out with how they don't understand how they picked it up and they done all the handwashing.
    If you don't think masks protect you and don't think handwashing protects you then you shouldn't really go outside let's be honest.

michellie wrote: »

Know someone who had a community test but went downhill before results. He was admitted to hospital and tested positive. While in there he got his other positive results via text. So he’d have been double counted probably and removed at some stage later on.

If you don't think masks protect you and don't think handwashing protects you then you shouldn't really go outside let's be honest.

Handwashing doesn't protect you from aerosols in the air though.

For months, it was all about the mask wearer protecting others around them. When did this change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is Ireland doing any tracing like this, like tracing back to elevator use?

It shows just how serious the whole thing. 1 person affecting 70 more and that's just spending a few minutes in an elevator.

It's no wonder that there are so many cases around.

Handwashing doesn't protect you from aerosols in the air though.

For months, it was all about the mask wearer protecting others around them. When did this change?

Handwashing can still protect you even if it is airborne.

Masks didn’t change. They do protect others around you moreso than you, but it’s not binary, they do still help to protect you more than no mask assuming you are wearing it correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like USA might get close to a 1000 deaths today, big jump, from the 200-300 over last while.

Stheno wrote: »
    That's increasingly being disputed by scientific data which is starting to find it protects the wearer also

I wonder about the messaging which was ''my mask protects you, yours protects me'' and that so people saw others not wearing them and thought why should they bother so was catch 22.

Should have been ''wear a mask to reduce spreading or catching infection'' or something. But at least now people are getting message. But like social distancing and hand washing messaging it needs to be constantly reinforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

wadacrack wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1280568013587128321

Study: 1 asymptomatic person infected neighbor by using an elevator at a different time, resulting in cluster of 70+ infections

I read the article, quite long so perhaps I've missed something but basically they "believe person A0 was an asymptomatic carrier and that person B1.1 was infected by contact with surfaces in the elevator in the building where they both lived."

Or maybe they weren't. There's no way of proving it, they just think that's the case. There seems to be too many cooks in this broth to be making an attention grabbing headline that 70 people got it from getting into an elevator. And they aren't even talking about lingering aerosols either.

On March 19, 2020, case-patient A0 returned to Heilongjiang Province from the United States; she was asked to quarantine at home. She lived alone during her stay in Heilongjiang Province. She had negative SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid and serum antibody tests on March 31 and April 3.

Patient B1.1 was the downstairs neighbor of case-patient A0. They used the same elevator in the building but not at the same time and did not have close contact otherwise. On March 26, B1.1’s mother, B2.2, and her mother’s boyfriend, B2.3, visited and stayed in B1.1’s home all night. On March 29, B2.2 and B2.3 attended a party with patient C1.1 and his sons, C1.2 and C1.3.

On April 2, C1.1 suffered a stroke and was admitted to hospital 1. His sons, C1.2 and C1.3, cared for him in ward area 1 of the hospital. Patient C1.1 shared the same clinical team and items, such as a microwave, with other patients in the ward. On April 6, patient C1.1 was transferred to hospital 2 because of fever; C1.2 and C1.3 accompanied him.

On April 7, patient B2.3 first noted symptoms of COVID-19. He tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 on April 9, the first confirmed case in this cluster. His close contacts, B1.1, B2.1, B2.2, and C1.1, subsequently tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 on April 9 or 10. Patient C1.1 was quarantined in hospital 2 when he tested positive on April 9. The epidemiologic investigation showed that none of these 5 persons had a history of travel or residence in affected areas with sustained transmission of SARS-CoV-2 during the 14 days before diagnosis, suggesting that SARS-CoV-2 came from contact with other persons.

During C1.1’s admission at hospital 1, a total of 28 other persons, D1.1–BB1.1, were infected with SARS-CoV-2 in ward area 1. Because all patients in the ward could ambulate, 4 persons, CC1.1, DD1.1, EE1.1, and FF1.1, were infected in other wards and in the computed tomography room of hospital 1. Among hospital 1 staff, 5 nurses and 1 doctor were infected. In hospital 2, another 20 persons, GG1.1–VV1.1, were infected in the ward where C1.1 stayed (Figure).

On April 9, investigators also learned that A0, B1.1’s neighbor, had returned on March 19 from the United States, where COVID-19 cases had been detected. Investigators performed SARS-CoV-2 serum antibody tests on A0 on April 10 and 11. SARS-CoV-2 serum IgM was negative but IgG was positive, indicating that A0 was previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 (5,6). Therefore, we believe A0 was an asymptomatic carrier (7,8) and that B1.1 was infected by contact with surfaces in the elevator in the building where they both lived (9). Other residents in A0’s building tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acids and serum antibodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Looks like USA might get close to a 1000 deaths today, big jump, from the 200-300 over last while.

There was some story I saw earlier (sorry, can't remember where it was) which said one of the reasons for the 'low deaths' is that they detect cases at an earlier stage of the disease now - so it takes longer to reach the stage where the patients die, making it look like deaths have gone down for the moment.

Saw there was 10,000 cases in Texas even. Sorry long day! I don't think we should be allowing any Americans in without mandatory quarantine tbh. Let Irish citizens return if they have to but make sure they self-isolate.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1280630186854080512

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Saw there was 10,000 tests in US. I don't think we should be allowing any Americans in without mandatory quarantine tbh. Let Irish citizens return if they have to but make sure they self-isolate.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1280630186854080512

You mean 10k cases in Texas alone? Not tests?

So with half the population of Italy they are smashing Italy's maximum daily new cases - crazy Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Polar101 wrote: »
    There was some story I saw earlier (sorry, can't remember where it was) which said one of the reasons for the 'low deaths' is that they detect cases at an earlier stage of the disease now - so it takes longer to reach the stage where the patients die, making it look like deaths have gone down for the moment.

Perhaps that's a contributing reason and I'm not surprised to see American deaths rising more in line with the case numbers we've been seeing lately but I think the main reason for the high cases with fewer deaths is increased testing and more young people being infected

Stheno wrote: »
    You mean 10k cases in Texas alone? Not tests?

I did yup . Long day! Edited my post

• Advertisement

I did yup . Long day! Edited my post

Back to the day job for you - Kermit you can come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Am I right in saying we are now the only country in Europe to allow people to enter from the Americas including US? I would of thought that once UK applied a travel ban from these areas for domestic areas that we would follow. From what I understand Belfast airport is no longer a point of entry but airports in the Republic remain so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Record cases in the US today - 60,209

Am I right in saying we are now the only country in Europe to allow people to enter from the Americas including US? I would of thought that once UK applied a travel ban from these areas for domestic areas that we would follow. From what I understand Belfast airport is no longer a point of entry but airports in the Republic remain so?

Yeah - everyone can come here but we're told not to leave the country

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement