Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ixoy wrote: »
    For cases that are imported from travel, it would be good to know what the origin country was (we know of one cluster originating from Iraq for example).

The EU is opening up and be curious to see how many are coming from the countries in the green block and how many outside. The designated countries are, in theory, fairly safe. If it's within the designated block, then we'd expect to see similar problems across Europe.

In the recent travel cases prof nolan last week gave the travel origin countries as, USA, UK, Sweden, Portugal, Ukraine, India & Bangladesh. Now we've Iraq also.

There is context needed when we hear cases related to travel because as we can see there's countries there that wouldn't be anywhere near a green list to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hurrache wrote: »
    In the other thread we've had people argue that there are no longer term affects. Evidence was shown and the argument became admirably pedantic as to what's actually long term and not long term. Shifting goal posts.

I haven't see the other thread. I found an article which looked at long term damage in SARS. Coronavirus can cause lasting lung damage – but the effects may ease over *time. Sounds positive but then you realise it was a 15 year follow up that showed improvement. I'm good thanks.

"We know that Sars can cause pulmonary fibrosis, and a large analysis of Sars and Mers patients showed weakened lung function and exercise capability in some survivors up to six months after hospital discharge. However, a 15-year follow-up of patients showed improvement in lung function and less damage visible on CT scans over time. An early study of people recovering from COVID-19 found that such damage also improves in the first few weeks after discharge from hospital

The conclusion sums it up best.

While the vast majority who contract COVID-19 will make a full recovery, we’re likely to see more people with pulmonary fibrosis or persistent lung damage following ARDS caused by COVID-19. Many will be severely debilitated for some time following severe infection, and some will need home oxygen. Meeting such people’s longer-term health and care needs will pose a significant challenge.
    "

https://twitter.com/davidjthunder/status/1275842285729656835?s=20

shinzon wrote: »
    All I can do is laugh at this

Shin

Glad I gave you a chuckle. I can send you an actual picture when I travel through the airport in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If “lockdown part 2 imminent” it will be mostly down to 4.9 million people now able to move freely around the island of Ireland. We are not covid free it’s still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't know why the government is indecisive and having arguments about so called air bridges.

There are countries like Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Germany etc we can open to with little threat. We can't stay shut off forever.

Not making clear decisions is doing unneeded damage.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to all those travelling in coming weeks. Seat selection has taken on a new importance. It's like playing minesweeper and telly bingo mixed together. Could be a new extreme sport. Go for the window if you can and in the middle of the plane.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/how-coronavirus-spreads-on-a-plane/

518435.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Well when they come back and start spreading the virus again you may change your tune tbh. We have had already imported cases each family that flies out and back in again increases the chance of it spiking exponentially. Incredibly selfish of these people to risk throwing away all we have achieved in suppressing the virus and keeping the numbers low for a few weeks in the sun.

So yeah you bet I have a problem with people flying out when public health advice is to not to very very foolish.

Shin

Had a comment on the other thread about control at the airports that self isolation isn't a legal requirement.

People love throwing about that masks aren't a legal requirement as well.

Like seriously, what the fcuk is wrong with people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Glad I gave you a chuckle. I can send you an actual picture when I travel through the airport in a couple of weeks

If you Google search the image it shows up as from Chicago O'Hare airport one of the busiest airports in the world. I'd wager the majority of flights departing there are domestic US flights. The picture and the attached post are a complete misrepresentation and a blatant attempt to mislead people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't know why the government is indecisive and having arguments about so called air bridges.

There are countries like Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Germany etc we can open to with little threat. We can't stay shut off forever.
    It's getting this list that's the headache as there's fears of offending others.
    The one drawn up by the EU seems pretty fair. We're not beholden to it but happy enough once we're mandating quarantine for countries like the US and other countries where it's out of control. The UK is unfortunately much trickier.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    If you Google search the image it shows up as from Chicago O'Hare airport one of the busiest airports in the world. I'd wager the majority of flights departing there are domestic US flights. The picture and the attached post are a complete misrepresentation and a blatant attempt to mislead people.

I agree. Not helpful to post something like that. Dublin airport maybe busier this morning but it's nowhere near that photo.

Let's all agree ..... and move on.

• Advertisement

RTE reporting:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0630/1150648-ryanair-schedule-resuming/

Health expert says holidays 'safe if precautions taken'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Had a comment on the other thread about control at the airports that self isolation isn't a legal requirement.

People love throwing about that masks aren't a legal requirement as well.

Like seriously, what the fcuk is wrong with people?

Lack of personal responsibility, self entitled selfish idiots, lack of proper education, denial of reality and lashing out at anybody who calls them out on it, the list could go on and on. Reminds me of the anti water charges brigade in many ways.

Hurrache wrote: »
    In the other thread we've had people argue that there are no longer term affects. Evidence was shown and the argument became admirably pedantic as to what's actually long term and not long term. Shifting goal posts.

And that actually surprises you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Micky 32 wrote: »
    RTE reporting:

Professor Jack Lambert on Morning Ireland.Covid is now part of life, we need to move on . Good interview considering he worked with over 700 cases of Covid but he did stress he took precautions and didn't contract the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Lack of personal responsibility, self entitled selfish idiots, lack of proper education, denial of reality and lashing out at anybody who calls them out on it, the list could go on and on. Reminds me of the anti water charges brigade in many ways.

Where will you be spying on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Sickening scenes at Dublin airport this morning on Ireland Am news. The amount of people flying out is worrying in the extreme.

The clear public health advice is no non essential travel off of the Island, yet Ireland be like. With the amount of imported cases on the rise this gets even more dangerous now.

Shin

Heard there was quite a crowd on the train at my local dart station this morning.

* Not my local dart station
    1471564217795.jpg

If people who wilfully disregard travel advice not to go on sun holidays and contract and bring back the virus and refuse to quarantine is there a case to be made that they should be denied medicall treatment even if required as a consequence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

robbiezero wrote: »
    Heard there was quite a crowd on the train at my local dart station this morning.

* Not my local dart station
    1471564217795.jpg

Was that pulling into the 4 courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

All I can do is laugh at this

Shin

...and post that you laughed...

If people who wilfully disregard travel advice not to go on sun holidays and contract and bring the virus and refuse to quarantine as a consequence is there a case to be made that they should be denied hospital treatment even if required as a consequence?

If someone goes to Galway from Dublin for a week and uses public transport to get there like on a bus should they quarantine?

• Advertisement

If people who wilfully disregard travel advice not to go on sun holidays and contract and bring the virus and refuse to quarantine as a consequence is there a case to be made that they should be denied hospital treatment even if required as a consequence?

Thankfully suggestions like yours would be treated with the contempt it deserves, but I'm sure you'll receive the thanks you are craving form a couple of your like minded ...I won't use the appropriate word.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RTE reporting:

This is really turning into a Zara from Virgin type reporting. There will be questions tomorrow about it and the CMO will say he hasn't seen it! Expert seems to be anyone who's worked near COVID in any way, these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Working in Dublin airport today and haven't been near departure gates or seen what on board planes is like. But it has been quite busy from what I've seen. More busy than I expected. But no where near levels at this time of year or even pre covid. The boards look more full compared to when I was out here a good few weeks back. So more flights departing and arriving. But no idea of how full or empty these planes are.

I agree with travel to countries with low levels of cases who are doing a good job. And I see on board the airplane as safe. It's the airport that worries me a bit. I've seen plenty of examples of no social distancing and temp removal of masks or fidgeting with them this morning. Also seen people without masks which I didn't think was allowed. Some big American c**t actually removed his mask while standing over me to cough earlier. I was down at my laptop bag.

Hopefully the airport can be very strict on enforcing measures otherwise we unfortunately have great potential to see an increase in travel related cases. I travel a lot with work and my usual opinion is that a lot of people leave their brains at the door as soon as they enter an airport. No time for that **** this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Some unfortunate news, a recent study has shown that asymptomatic carriers generally have few to no detectable antibodies just weeks after infection.

'Antibody levels also dropped off far more quickly in people who never showed symptoms, and 40 per cent of them had no detectable antibodies eight weeks after recovery, compared with 13 per cent of symptomatic patients.'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/asymptomatic-covid-19-findings-dim-hopes-for-herd-immunity-and-immunity-passports/ar-BB163A1x

I dont know much about this, but can you have immunity if your antibodies disappeared, is that possible?

You have non-specific immune cells (such as a macrophage, neutrophil, or dendritic cell) too. That's the first line of defense.

And specific immune cells are part of acquired immunity, which is also the basis of vaccines. Passive memory is via antibodies and active memory via memory B cells and some memory T cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Expert says 'holidays safe - if you don't contract the disease'

:pac:

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is really turning into a Zara from Virgin type reporting. There will be questions tomorrow about it and the CMO will say he hasn't seen it! Expert seems to be anyone who's worked near COVID in any way, these days!

He claims to have worked with 700 Covid patients and managed through the proper precautions avoided contracting it himself, so yes I would suggest he's an expert being a professor is also a plus.

If someone goes to Galway from Dublin for a week and uses public transport to get there like on a bus should they quarantine?

If they refuse to wear a mask as will shortly be made mandatory then yes they should.

Boggles wrote: »
    Expert says 'holidays safe - if you don't contract the disease'

:pac:

Actually he said if you take the necessary precautions. Let's not misrepresent what he said, there was enough of that carry on earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Actually he said if you take the necessary precautions. Let's not misrepresent what he said, there was enough of that carry on earlier.

It's the same thing. Think about it.

• Advertisement

Working in Dublin airport today and haven't been near departure gates or seen what on board planes is like. But it has been quite busy from what I've seen. More busy than I expected. But no where near levels at this time of year or even pre covid. The boards look more full compared to when I was out here a good few weeks back. So more flights departing and arriving. But no idea of how full or empty these planes are.

I agree with travel to countries with low levels of cases who are doing a good job. And I see on board the airplane as safe. It's the airport that worries me a bit. I've seen plenty of examples of no social distancing and temp removal of masks or fidgeting with them this morning. Also seen people without masks which I didn't think was allowed. Some big American c**t actually removed his mask while standing over me to cough earlier. I was down at my laptop bag.

Hopefully the airport can be very strict on enforcing measures otherwise we unfortunately have great potential to see an increase in travel related cases. I travel a lot with work and my usual opinion is that a lot of people leave their brains at the door as soon as they enter an airport. No time for that **** this time.

Thanks for posting. Very few 'whey pints at the airport #boardingpass' posts on twitter this morning. Someone complaining yesterday though.

https://twitter.com/Weareallalittl2/status/1277904402259591168?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement