Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, wouldn't be too sure about the

"Visits/gatherings should be kept to a size to allow for physical distancing of 2 metres and for adequate ventilation if they are taking place indoors."
    "You are asked to keep a daily log of people you meet for contact tracing purposes."
    "Spontaneous mass gatherings such as parties, gatherings, demonstrations and so on are not recommended at this time."
    "Visitors should not visit you if they are unwell, should keep at a 2 metre distance, wash their hands for at least 20 seconds on arrival and should wear face coverings."
    "ideally wear a face covering, strictly adhere to the 2 metres physical (social) distancing measures"
    bits, but agreed on the fewer than 50 people point.

I'm 48, my party days are over, but I don't think its fair for me to expect the young people of this country to isolate themselves and not do what young people do for an indefinite period of time. People need to learn to live and let live again. Yes the risk of an outbreak is increased but I don't think I as an 18 year old would have been an angle in these circumstances, your dealing with some pretty powerful urges at that age and the need for interaction with your peers is very powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

fr336 wrote: »
    Anyone who is following the news reports about the myriad of ways Covid affects people knows full well that you want to avoid getting this. You're rolling a dice with your health.

Sure not everyone gets these, but there is so much we don't know. I think the health authorities just aren't getting across the dangers of even "mild" Covid, or the difficulties many "recovered" people are still having.

It would really help with vaccine uptake which will be the next big challenge. This is not a minor thing at any age. Take your vaccine which at least has been tested, and don't take your changes with this virus.

speckle wrote: »
    Would that not be covered by?
    • In addition to these offences, a member of An Garda Síochána may direct a person who
    is not complying with the requirements in respect of this form to so comply. Failing to
    comply with that direction is an offence for which you may be arrested.

Again I agree with you if the fact you signed a legal form to self isolate and dont unless people are followed up some will do what they want. I just hope no one is ever in the place of passing it on to someone who is high risk and they die.
    On a side note to the above...

Sadly in a relatives parish a person came back from the UK and self isolated with their high risk parents. Now both are dead. The government needs to have places where people can quaranteen in cases like that. They are closing citywest.

May the two of them rest in peace and their family member find solace somtime as they were asymtomatic and not their fault.

Just in response to your suggestion about city West

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0707/1151833-coronavirus-travel/

Also why post a claim about you knowing of two people who died because of a relatives actions as you know and I know you will not offer evidence to back up your claim. It serves no purpose tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

As far as I can see the app has passed 1 million registrations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Testing times for testicles yes ...plump the depths:-)
    This potential side effect was suggested months ago. Research papers are just starting to be published now on it but is it still inconclusive . Hopefully will stay that way.

Just in response to your suggestion about city West

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0707/1151833-coronavirus-travel/

Also why post a claim about you knowing of two people who died because of a relatives actions as you know and I know you will not offer evidence to back up your claim. It serves no purpose tbh.
    If you like I will pm you the rip.ie entrys. Thanks for the article but I was talking about people who would have voluntary quareented if the option was avaiable.
    Edit it would also breach gdpr guidlines here on boards.ie to publish their names and anyhow I have respect for their privacy. They have said to let people know what can hsppen but they sre still gieving and should be allowed go public in their own ime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Dunno if any of the ICE stuff has been posted here (basically, insisting non-American students go home if their uni isn't opening, or attend a uni which is opening if they wish to stay, and consequently some unis are essentially "forced" to open, etc.. the mind boggles...) but it seems Harvard and MIT have filed suit against ICE and the DHS to allow students to stay in the country while taking classes remotely. Saw somewhere the other day that Harvard (iirc) is still charging full fees (50kish?) for students to take the classes online, so maybe they're biased...
    Will be interesting to see where it goes - the ICE call obviously seems like a terrible idea, but nothing massively surprising there.

https://twitter.com/mit_csail/status/1280851392547229696

If you like I will pm you the rip.ie entrys. Thanks for the article but I was talking about people who would have voluntary quareented if the option was avaiable.

The option to voluntarily quarantine exists, it's not mandatory.
    No need for the PM I don't want information about people that should remain private.

• Advertisement

Would that not be covered by?
    • In addition to these offences, a member of An Garda Síochána may direct a person who
    is not complying with the requirements in respect of this form to so comply. Failing to
    comply with that direction is an offence for which you may be arrested.

Again I agree with you if the fact you signed a legal form to self isolate and dont unless people are followed up some will do what they want. I just hope no one is ever in the place of passing it on to someone who is high risk and they die.
    On a side note to the above...

Sadly in a relatives parish a person came back from the UK and self isolated with their high risk parents. Now both are dead. The government needs to have places where people can quaranteen in cases like that. They are closing citywest.

May the two of them rest in peace and their family member find solace somtime as they were asymtomatic and not their fault.

Have you actually looked at the form? Its not a 'legal form to self isolate'. The requirements that it describes as being enforceable are only the filling in of the form (actually quite cleverly worded to imply that there is something more). You could swan into a Garda station the day after arrival, shout through a megaphone that you just want everyone to know that you are not self isolating, and there is still nothing that they could do as long as your residence is still what you put on the form

The option to voluntarily quarantine exists, it's not mandatory.
    No need for the PM I don't want information about people that should remain private.
    Yes but what if you are repatrioting and the family home has high risk people? City west was for that and staff working aswell in hospitals..

Fair enough but please take back that I do not have the evidence and hence inferring I was making it up. If that of course, was what you were doing. Thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

ZX7R wrote: »
    You have made an extremely valid point.
    People need to learn to live with it.
    I would go as far as saying that the government should promote it.
    The main problem is the Media ,they go out of there way to promote fear.

The media are reporting the facts. Would you prefer they didn't? They report the facts on positive news days. They report the facts on negative news days. Would you prefer they didn't do this?

Yes but what if you are repatrioting and the family home has high risk people? City west was for that and staff working aswell in hospitals..

Fair enough but please take back that I do not have the evidence and hence inferring I was making it up. If that of course, was what you were doing. Thanking you in advance.

City West was for people to self isolate who otherwise couldn't. ie people in a house share situation among other reasons.
    My comment about the anecdote you posted is just that you are not in a position to give details on the thread so as I said I don't see the reason for doing so.

Or maybe don't commit a crime and get sent to prison.

Ah now it all makes sense. I'm guessing you're a these things happen to other people through their own fault conservative kinda guy right? Nobody could falsely be imprisoned in one of these countries, or indeed any country? And you think any level of crime, including not paying a TV license, is worthy of the death penalty of Covid? Wow. Not even going to take your posts seriously anymore, thought I just disagree with you before but this explains why you seem to value the economy over lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The media are reporting the facts. Would you prefer they didn't? They report the facts on positive news days. They report the facts on negative news days. Would you prefer they didn't do this?

I'd prefer the media to actually report facts good or bad.
    Not reporting personal views of associated medical expert's good or bad.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer the media to actually report facts good or bad.
    Not reporting personal views of associated medical expert's good or bad.

So we should wait forever for things to be peer reviewed before the public get access to information? There are endless sources of media online and offline - never in history have people had such choice. If we waited for things to be certain where would we be? Still in lockdown, perhaps ;)

Ah now it all makes sense. I'm guessing you're a these things happen to other people through their own fault conservative kinda guy right? Nobody could falsely be imprisoned in one of these countries, or indeed any country? And you think any level of crime, including not paying a TV license, is worthy of the death penalty of Covid? Wow. Not even going to take your posts seriously anymore, thought I just disagree with you before but this explains why you seem to value the economy over lives.

Posts such as yours amuse me, firstly no one in Ireland gets sent to prison for none payment of a TV licence, what the law in the UK is I don't know as unlike you I don't live there. This is fact, you do however may face jail for non payment of a court imposed fine. No seriously when you post nonsense such as telling me what I must think I know your comments are utter rubbish and to be dismissed with the contempt they deserve.
    Now I suggest if you want to make personal comments about an anonymous poster on an internet forum it would appear you have far too much invested here and maybe take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So we should wait forever for things to be peer reviewed before the public get access to information? There are endless sources of media online and offline - never in history have people had such choice. If we waited for things to be certain where would we be? Still in lockdown, perhaps ;)

Personal views are been used for agendas either to drive fear or positivity.
    Till it's peer reviewed it not worth much bar to create a click bate headline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭what the hell!

The media are painful at this stage. Just because they've submitted people for tests doesn't mean anything. Nearly anyone can get a test at the moment. I have a runny nose at the moment, doesn't mean I have Corona. With the weather at the moment people are going to be getting colds.

• Advertisement

Latest testing update

Total Tests (Last 24 hours): 4361
    Total Tests (Last 7 days): 44,169
    Positive Tests (Last 24 hours): 20
    Positivity Rate (Last 7 days): 0.2%

Posts such as yours amuse me, firstly no one in Ireland gets sent to prison for none payment of a TV licence, what the law in the UK is I don't know as unlike you I don't live there. This is fact, you do however may face jail for non payment of a court imposed fine. No seriously when you post nonsense such as telling me what I must think I know your comments are utter rubbish and to be dismissed with the contempt they deserve.
    Now I suggest if you want to make personal comments about an anonymous poster on an internet forum it would appear you have far too much invested here and maybe take a break.

I was giving you an opportunity to prove me wrong - that you're not the conservative type who thinks anyone in prison is guilty and deserves whatever they get. Shame. You didn't reply to me at all, you just went on about amusement and contempt and yet again the anti restriction clique tries to hound someone off a thread. No thanks.

Personal views are been used for agendas either to drive fear or positivity.
    Till it's peer reviewed it not worth much bar to create a click bate headline

But we need click bait to keep the economy going.

I was giving you an opportunity to prove me wrong - that you're not the conservative type who thinks anyone in prison is guilty and deserves whatever they get. Shame. You didn't reply to me at all, you just went on about amusement and contempt and yet again the anti restriction clique tries to hound someone off a thread. No thanks.

Sure you had already told me what I think. I was just pointing out how you are factually incorrect regards Irish law.
    Ah yes the hounding of others off the thread allegations surely by now you have found the report function. Why not use it instead of this pathetic response when someone shows a different reaction to the constant hysteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Perhaps let's wait for the numbers to come out before going mad! A referral means absolutely nothing if it doesn't come up positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Why is Israel being hit so badly right now? I thought they had been doing well initially.

Apparently in early June the Israeli government approved indoor events of up to 250 people for weddings and religious ceremonies such as circumcisions and bar and bat mitzvahs.

This was at a time when all other gatherings were limited to 50 people and had to be held outdoors. Netanyahu’s dependence on religious parties may have had something to do with the decision

Israel's top public health official resigned on Tuesday, claiming leaders ignored her warnings and reopened the country too quickly, driving a new surge of COVID-19 cases that officials are scrambling to contain.

In recent days, Israel has had record-high numbers of around 1,100 daily infections, nearly twice the peak seen in the spring, with serious cases doubling about every four days.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Perhaps let's wait for the numbers to come out before going mad! A referral means absolutely nothing if it doesn't come up positive!

Im expecting the vast majority of yesterdays 24 to be from Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The media are painful at this stage. Just because they've submitted people for tests doesn't mean anything. Nearly anyone can get a test at the moment. I have a runny nose at the moment, doesn't mean I have Corona. With the weather at the moment people are going to be getting colds.

Thinking you have a cold and carrying on as normal is very dangerous behaviour. Covid can cause very mild symptoms in some people. There was a post in an earlier thread with somebody testing positive and they just had a runny nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Weather doesn't give people colds.

• Advertisement

Sure you had already told me what I think. I was just pointing out how you are factually incorrect regards Irish law.
    Ah yes the hounding of others off the thread allegations surely by now you have found the report function. Why not use it instead of this pathetic response when someone shows a different reaction to the constant hysteria?

I see no constant hysteria, just constant downplaying. I wasn't talking about Irish law, that's why I said "these countries" aka the USA and co. Anyway do you have a law degree or something

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sorry but that's blatant BS from that doctor, we all know who he is, he's been on TV frequently. Only 2 weeks ago he was on virgin media, one of the days saying he had referred 5 people for tests on that specific day and that he was getting busier. I remember the news piece as it was regarding minority communities in North Dublin.

So today he referred 1 more person than 2 weeks ago ?? The same doctor who said the second wave was 2 weeks away because of people in Dame Lane.

Again just because people meet the clinical diagnosis it doesn't mean they test postive.

My GP is referring anyone who has as much as a sniffle but she's not coming out every day and saying I've referred x amount of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Latest testing update

Total Tests (Last 24 hours): 4361
    Total Tests (Last 7 days): 44,169
    Positive Tests (Last 24 hours): 20
    Positivity Rate (Last 7 days): 0.2%

Some of those tests could be retests of known cases?

I see no constant hysteria, just constant downplaying. I wasn't talking about Irish law, that's why I said "these countries" aka the USA and co. Anyway do you have a law degree or something

I'm not engaging in a two and fro with you. Any issue you have with my comments consult a Mod. Getting personal doesn't end well for anyone.

Some of those tests could be retests of known cases?

Yeah, usually about half

Apparently in early June the Israeli government approved indoor events of up to 250 people for weddings and religious ceremonies such as circumcisions and bar and bat mitzvahs.

This was at a time when all other gatherings were limited to 50 people and had to be held outdoors. Netanyahu’s dependence on religious parties may have had something to do with the decision

Israel's top public health official resigned on Tuesday, claiming leaders ignored her warnings and reopened the country too quickly, driving a new surge of COVID-19 cases that officials are scrambling to contain.

In recent days, Israel has had record-high numbers of around 1,100 daily infections, nearly twice the peak seen in the spring, with serious cases doubling about every four days.

I worry about Churches more than people drinking on the street. It's a mistake to give them special dispensation IMO.

Sorry but that's blatant BS from that doctor, we all know who he is, he's been on TV frequently. Only 2 weeks ago he was on virgin media, one of the days saying he had referred 5 people for tests on that specific day and that he was getting busier. I remember the news piece as it was regarding minority communities in North Dublin.

So today he referred 1 more person than 2 weeks ago ?? The same doctor who said the second wave was 2 weeks away because of people in Dame Lane.

Again just because people meet the clinical diagnosis it doesn't mean they test postive.

My GP is referring anyone who has as much as a sniffle but she's not coming out every day and saying I've referred x amount of people.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, this will not be known to 99% of people reading that story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I see nothings changed on this thread anyway :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Taking my figures from the Worldometers website, it is clear that sometime in the next 24 hours, the USA (pop: 331m] will overtake the entire 27 countries of the EU [pop: 445m] in terms of the number of Covid related deaths.

From a snapshot of data taken at 4:30 today, the US has lost more people to Covid than the entire European Union.

Country Deaths
    Italy 34,899
    France 29,933
    Spain 28,392
    Belgium 9,776
    Germany 9,105
    Netherlands 6,135
    Sweden 5,447
    Romania 1,817
    Ireland 1,742
    Portugal 1,629
    Poland 1,542
    Austria 706
    Denmark 609
    Hungary 589
    Czechia 351
    Finland 329
    Bulgaria 254
    Greece 193
    Croatia 114
    Slovenia 111
    Luxembourg 110
    Lithuania 79
    Estonia 69
    Latvia 30
    Slovakia 28
    Cyprus 19
    Malta 9

Total 134,017

USA death total 134,140

Even if you were to add in the micro states that are surrounded, well more or less, by the EU, that would bring the total up to 134112, still less than the US.

Andorra 52
    San Marino 42
    Liechtenstein 1
    Vatican City 0

Source: worldometers.info
    I think the margin is only going to widen now, even if there is a resurgence in some European states as lockdowns are eased. Mind you, just as well the Brits have removed themselves from the figures, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The number of daily Spanish infections has more than doubled since yesterday, from 124 to 257 - Catalonia and Galicia are making most of the headlines, but Aragon has recorded 60 new cases, Madrid 35, and 28 in Andalusia:

https://www.eldiario.es/sociedad/cifra-diaria-nuevos-contagios-dispara-257_1_6091089.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, this will not be known to 99% of people reading that story.

Yup, I remember watching him say the exact same stuff roughly 2 weeks ago, it was a piece from the community assessment hub out at the mater hospital.

Just as I had finished putting up a reply my own brother just came in from our GP, he has an underactive thyroid and just gets the general checkup every so often, apart from that he's absolutely fine, but guess what she offered him a referral for a test. Seems to be a common practise now around the country that its offered to anyone symptoms or not.

I'm unsure if this is still the case but at the start I think GPS were getting paid for each referral.

City West was for people to self isolate who otherwise couldn't. ie people in a house share situation among other reasons.
    My comment about the anecdote you posted is just that you are not in a position to give details on the thread so as I said I don't see the reason for doing so.
    So I should ignore all your anecdotal posts that do not have a peer linked reveiw or detailed evidence as having no reason to post behind them also? Their is nothing I can do if you cannot see the importance behind my post. But then again this is a dicussion forum and I cant expect everyone to understand everyone of my posts.
    Citywest is closing may already be closed. So nowhere for the above people you mentioned or the people I mentioned to self isolate anymore so hopefully we can agree on that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Where did I hear that before ?

bozo1_020420200811-750x450.jpg

Translation :- "It’s all just hysteria and conspiracy"

On a side note was great to be back on the GAA field yesterday evening. Sports clubs are taking it really seriously and have forms for contact tracing set up etc. Back to a bit of normality at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

So you think sitting squished up in a hall is more inhuman than what they got sentenced for? I do agree that people shouldn't be wrongly imprisoned, but in this country that is very much the exception not the rule.

• Advertisement

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53329946

Interesting study backed by 230 doctors/researchers showing c19 is spread through airborne aerosols and can travel further than the 2m SD rule with regard to enclosed spaces.
    Has implications for healthcare workers who would be working at close quarters with the virus.
    It would explain the high rates of infection among healthcare workers and also how a unit of healthcare workers in Italy (I seen this on the sky documentary that went into the hospitals in bergamo and Milan) were unaffected when they wore the sealed bio hazard suits.
    Apparently the who are reluctant to back the claims as there just wouldn’t be enough of this kind of ppe to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Im expecting the vast majority of yesterdays 24 to be from Dublin.

I'm expecting the majority of the daily confirmed cases to be from Dublin (hmmm I wonder why....)

On a side note was great to be back on the GAA field yesterday evening. Sports clubs are taking it really seriously and have forms for contact tracing set up etc. Back to a bit of normality at least.

Probably taking it more seriously than the pubs unfortunately.

Excellent news. If everybody was as responsible and committed to the cause things would be totally normal again before you could say just the flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The number of daily Spanish infections has more than doubled since yesterday, from 124 to 257 - Catalonia and Galicia are making most of the headlines, but Aragon has recorded 60 new cases, Madrid 35, and 28 in Andalusia:

https://www.eldiario.es/sociedad/cifra-diaria-nuevos-contagios-dispara-257_1_6091089.html

Like I said, some resurgence is likely. However, in terms of total cases (as opposed to deaths) the US overtook the combined EU totals back in April and have accelerated away since then!!!

At a point four days ago, the figure for no of identified cases in the EU as a whole was 1,302,059 and at the same time the US was at 2,935,770! More than twice as many.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement