Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gael23 wrote: »
    We must be coming near the point of relaxing social distancing rules?

20th July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

20th July.

To 1m or do we have any idea?

To 1m or do we have any idea?
    I metre until you get drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

ESTIMATES: How COVID-19 is spreading
    Community Transmission 8400 (-20)
    Close Contacts 16519 (+37)
    Travel Abroad 612 (+25)

I'm probably misreading this, are we talking 42 extra cases, with 25 coming from foreign travel or their direct contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Why? I doubt we will see them reduced any time soon to be honest. People won't attempt to follow them if we move to 1m from 2m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I've literally said on this thread before I'm unemployed as a result of the pandemic. If you've a problem with me you can PM me, as I said.

Apologies, no offense intended, there has been a misunderstanding.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Why? I doubt we will see them reduced any time soon to be honest. People won't attempt to follow them if we move to 1m from 2m.

Can't find anything more recent, maybe someone else can. It will drop to a metre or hotels/restaurants or unviable.

https://lovin.ie/news/social-distancing-measures-expected-to-be-relaxed-for-hospitality-sector

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Apparently cases today are 1 Cork, 8 Dublin, 1 Kildare, 1 Galway according to the new Covid App

Source Cork Safety Alerts

There was also Louth +3, Meath +1, Monaghan +1, Tipperary +1 and Waterford +2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Lyle wrote: »
    There was also Louth +3, Meath +1, Monaghan +1, Tipperary +1 and Waterford +2

That's not today though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Already done with many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's not today though.

So the Covid App has passed out the data released on the dashboard? That'd be great if it was up-to-the-minute and on-the-day reporting, rather than the 2 day lag we have on county information now.

Anyone have the breakdown for yesterday (7/7) so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Excellent numbers again.

It looked pretty scary back in April but I think we're exactly where we hoped we'd be by mid Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

A minor nitpick but why not just announce that we have 11 cases today, x in Dublin, y in Kildare, z in Cork etc.? Surely they have this information when they know the number of new cases? Why the delay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

fr336 wrote: »
    Yes yes the people trying to prevent transmission are the ones desperately hoping for people to get sick and maybe die...yes yes that's right...

Well why ask if someone's currently employed then? Whose life is that saving?

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well why ask if someone's currently employed then? Whose life is that saving?

This thread has gone into parody now. The person clearly misunderstood and thought Citizen was delighted at someone being made redundant when what he meant was that the person who posts the death stats would soon be redundant from posting.

This thread has gone into parody now. The person clearly misunderstood and thought Citizen was delighted at someone being made redundant when what he meant was that the person who posts the death stats would soon be redundant from posting.

Yeah it's all a great misunderstanding isn't it? I do so hate when they happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ESTIMATES: How COVID-19 is spreading
    Community Transmission 8400 (-20)
    Close Contacts 16519 (+37)
    Travel Abroad 612 (+25)

travel cases increasing that is a worry, we need better restrictions in self isolating quarantine on outgoing incoming travel, airports stricter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

No active case update, but assuming recoveries are still 92%, that would give a figure of 302 (2,040-1,738).

Yeah it's all a great misunderstanding isn't it? I do so hate when they happen.

Do the mods send you away or do you just pop up every so often?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    travel cases increasing that is a worry, we need better restrictions in self isolating quarantine on outgoing incoming travel, airports stricter

Why would you need quarantine on outgoing travel?

• Advertisement

Do the mods send you away or do you just pop up every so often?

I post whenever I have the time. I don't act as if I'm feeding the poor by posting on an internet forum like some people do.

I post whenever I have the time. I don't act as if I'm feeding the poor by posting on an internet forum like some people do.

If anyone ever calls you passive aggressive, tell them I want a word with them! Have a nice day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Know someone who had a community test but went downhill before results. He was admitted to hospital and tested positive. While in there he got his other positive results via text. So he’d have been double counted probably and removed at some stage later on.

Sorry I'm late but thank you, that makes sense now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If anyone ever calls you passive aggressive, tell them I want a word with them! Have a nice day!

I'm not going to be dragged into a blatant attempt to cause an argument so the same to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @fr336 - quit it with the running commentary and actually post something of substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    +1
    We are an island. Our covid cases came about from travel and arrivals into the country from infected areas.

By continuing with no quarantine for countries with covid out of control - its going to be a recipe for disaster and we will probably see a spike by the end of the summer. People are becoming more relaxed and carefree about the virus and the guidelines we need to follow going forward. Definitely I see social distancing diminishing all the time. The COVID app might give people a false sense of security as well and lead people into taking more risks and meet up with more and more people when we have been urged to keep our close contacts and family contacts as low as possible. It might lead to people meeting up in large crowds and gatherings too. All of this is a recipe for disaster.

What we absolutely definitely need to establish is what sort of people are coming into Ireland? If its Irish citizens returning from abroad or if its tourists. I would be very wary of American tourists. They will need a place to stay, maybe a hotel and there would be staff working in hotels serving tourists and putting them at risk. Tour buses, tourist attractions, shops and restaurants where tourists go to - people there would all be at risk from infections.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Apparently cases today are 1 Cork, 8 Dublin, 1 Kildare, 1 Galway according to the new Covid App

Source Cork Safety Alerts

We should be isolating Dublin, to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Will employers have to ask staff members to take time out of work and self isolate or quarantine themselves away from work if staff engage in high risk activities? Like attending a wedding, concert, going to mass, travel abroad - otherwise employers are neglecting their duty to keep the team safe.

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: @fr336 - quit it with the running commentary and actually post something of substance.

Where are other people's warnings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why would you need quarantine on outgoing travel?

Yes sorry head not great today :o but travel needs to be stricter, it is a worry with travel increasing back up

Well he probably didn't get the surge he was hoping for after yesterday's numbers so we get the pissy indignant digs now as we regularly do after low numbers.

Not enough substance in this post.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Will employers have to ask staff members to take time out of work and self isolate or quarantine themselves away from work if staff engage in high risk activities? Like attending a wedding, concert, going to mass, travel abroad - otherwise employers are neglecting their duty to keep the team safe.

I saw a company in London advertising a job saying please don't apply if you're using public transport. The nerve of it! I wonder how many in the company are using pubs etc on a regular basis. I should have reported it to be honest.

Not enough substance in this post.

May I ask when where you elevated to the ranks of the Mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

owlbethere wrote: »

One of my team members went home to Poland last weekend for a break. On return he won't be able to come in to the office for two weeks. Obviously can't comment on other companies procedures as I don't know them but that's the stance we've taken.

• Advertisement

May I ask when where you elevated to the ranks of the Mods?

More substance here.

Most US states on their own would top the world infection rankings:

https://twitter.com/JohnFugelsang/status/1280918839828582400

More substance here.

Keep it up. The thread will soon be useless.

:rolleyes:

Keep it up. The thread will soon be useless.

:rolleyes:

It's been useless since May. Gone from balanced, intelligent discussion from all sides to a clique of "positivity" and if you don't agree with us there's the door. I'm not too fussed, it's only an online forum obviously, but it's just annoying I have to deal with the same types in real life.

More substance here.

It seems you are being indulged at the moment, it may be short lived though. I'll say goodbye now in case I don't a chance later.

• Advertisement

It's been useless since May. Gone from balanced, intelligent discussion from all sides to a clique of "positivity" and if you don't agree with us there's the door. I'm not too fussed, it's only an online forum obviously, but it's just annoying I have to deal with the same types in real life.

The case levels here have become statistically negligible, even after going through all the phases - maybe there'll be a spike in a fortnight from pubs reopening, but we can't do any more in this country to prevent the disease as long as we control air travel.

Maybe that's because it's how people feel. Thus valid for opinion and discussion. We can't just have points made that agree with you - neither here nor in real life.

Maybe that's because it's how people feel. Thus valid for opinion and discussion. We can't just have points made that agree with you - neither here nor in real life.

Did you read my post? It's not me trying to hound people out who don't agree with me. Anyway Jim I don't remember you posting any crap so this doesn't apply to you.

It seems you are being indulged at the moment, it may be short lived though. I'll say goodbye now in case I don't a chance later.

Thanks, I reported this instead of getting into another conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

There is no clique of positivity. But for a prolonged period are numbers have been continually declining in Ireland. Something I think that is to be positive about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ShyMets wrote: »
    There is no clique of positivity.
    There absolutely is, and it is particularly nasty.

The numbers have been declining in this country, and it's wonderful, but there are still very legitimate causes for concern, but any time these are raised, certain posters will come out with the "Oh, I bet you want more people to die" or "I bet the bad news turns you on" jibes. It's pretty disgusting that it's allowed to continue unfettered.

Ficheall wrote: »
    There absolutely is, and it is particularly nasty.

The numbers have been declining in this country, and it's wonderful, but there are still very legitimate causes for concern, but any time these are raised, certain posters will come out with the "Oh, I bet you want more people to die" or "I bet the bad news turns you on" jibes. It's pretty disgusting that it's allowed to continue unfettered.

Exactly. You can be positive without attacking those who may be positive too but also want to post facts. Why the jibes guys? There's no need. They won't answer this question of course because there is no excuse for it. They must be buddies with the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

The case levels here have become statistically negligible, even after going through all the phases - maybe there'll be a spike in a fortnight from pubs reopening, but we can't do any more in this country to prevent the disease as long as we control air travel.

I think that you've a typo in your last sentence there. However, the case load is not negligible or statistically negligible.

Consider Isreal, they did a lot better job than we did initially in suppressing the virus, they relaxed their guard and then boom 1000 cases a day.

We have a whole range of options on additional measures we could take, to manage the spread of this virus, to suggest we don't is just ridiculous, even without closing the airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

So what your saying is your annoyed dealing with people who disagree with your point of view.

I saw a company in London advertising a job saying please don't apply if you're using public transport. The nerve of it! I wonder how many in the company are using pubs etc on a regular basis. I should have reported it to be honest.

People who routinely get public transport to work are not eligible for the first wave of the return to office in my company. So if this company in London is not able to provide WFH arrangements, it’s probably much the same thing

(Edit, the whole return to work for us is voluntary, but only those who walk or cycle can come in. No one drives)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement