Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

fr336 wrote: »
    Exactly. You can be positive without attacking those who may be positive too but also want to post facts. Why the jibes guys? There's no need. They won't answer this question of course because there is no excuse for it. They must be buddies with the mods.
    Have you gotten it all out of your system yet? You can't complain about the slipping standards of the page and occupy 2 pages with your whinging at the same time. If you've an issue with people's posts flag them for the mods.

For any adults interested, there's more good news on the Oxford vaccine. One thing of note, Astra zeneca say they can create a billion doses in two months. Incredible stuff. I've attached an article from The I below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/science/coronavirus-vaccine-uk-latest-oxford-race-scientists-august-covid-19-trials-497704/amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

lukas8888 wrote: »
    So what your saying is your annoyed dealing with people who disagree with your point of view.

No that is not what I said. Read it again. Tell me, what do you think of those who taunt those they disagree with saying "yeah bet you're disappointed there weren't more cases and deaths weren't you" Do you support this kind of behaviour? Or do you think it should be moderated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ficheall wrote: »
    There absolutely is, and it is particularly nasty.

The numbers have been declining in this country, and it's wonderful, but there are still very legitimate causes for concern, but any time these are raised, certain posters will come out with the "Oh, I bet you want more people to die" or "I bet the bad news turns you on" jibes. It's pretty disgusting that it's allowed to continue unfettered.

Agreed.

I’ve pmd a mod about this. This thread has been abhorrent since I came back a few weeks ago. There is a clique effectively modding this thread and anybody who gets on the wrong side of this group for any reason suffers antagonism , insults and gets chased/hounded off the thread with zero ramifications for the constant attacks.

It has to be because they report posts more then those they attack because it’s rampant in this thread and it’s only the supposed “doom mongers” who seem to be swept out of the thread.

People who routinely get public transport to work are not eligible for the first wave of the return to office in my company. So if this company in London is not able to provide WFH arrangements, it’s probably much the same thing

(Edit, the whole return to work for us is voluntary, but only those who walk or cycle can come in. No one drives)

But this company was excluding those who use public transport from applying for the job. What about all their employees who go down the pub and other social activities? It felt like they were happy to be excluding a certain class of people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The case levels here have become statistically negligible, even after going through all the phases - maybe there'll be a spike in a fortnight from pubs reopening, but we can't do any more in this country to prevent the disease as long as we control air travel.

I find it very interesting that we haven't, thankfully, seen a significant rise in cases after the recent easing of restrictions, or the noticible lack of compliance.

Does it mean that the more extreme lockdown measures are not required to limit spread of the virus, and that simpler social distancing measures are sufficient?

It would be great news if that were true, but I guess it's a bit too early to tell. A learning curve as always, but I just find it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

No that is not what I said. Read it again. Tell me, what do you think of those who taunt those they disagree with saying "yeah bet you're disappointed there weren't more cases and deaths weren't you" Do you support this kind of behaviour? Or do you think it should be moderated?

Yes i did read your post again,and that is indeed what you said,or your understanding of semantics must be different in the UK.

I apologise for any pointless posts, I won't be responding to any morons anymore I'll be reporting them as I should have been doing all along. I was sucked into arguing rather than reporting too easily. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I find it very interesting that we haven't, thankfully, seen a significant rise in cases after the recent easing of restrictions, or the noticible lack of compliance.

Does it mean that the more extreme lockdown measures are not required to limit spread of the virus, and that simpler social distancing measures are sufficient?

It would be great news if that were true, but I guess it's a bit too early to tell. A learning curve as always, but I just find it interesting!

An interesting piece I read on excess deaths. Too early yet I believe to draw a conclusion, but the British and Italian figures stand out for me based on the approach by the two countries.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-which-european-regions-had-the-highest-number-of-excess-deaths-12018172

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ficheall wrote: »
    There absolutely is, and it is particularly nasty.

The numbers have been declining in this country, and it's wonderful, but there are still very legitimate causes for concern, but any time these are raised, certain posters will come out with the "Oh, I bet you want more people to die" or "I bet the bad news turns you on" jibes. It's pretty disgusting that it's allowed to continue unfettered.

100% There is a nasty undercurrent to a lot of it.

To be honest, it's been the case for weeks. Anything cautious: Curtin twitcher, Doom-monger.
    The irony of this title being given to you by people who are typically breathless with telling everybody there's going to be innumerable suicides because of lockdown is a particularly flabbergasting one.

Nobody wants case numbers to go up, but are concerned, rightly, that it could happen again. But this blindingly obvious motivation is lost on many, who prefer to mischaracterise people they disagree with as somehow masochists - when in actual fact the most painful thing of all is reading the frequent illogical gibberish that passes for "debate" around here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

An interesting piece I read on excess deaths. Too early yet I believe to draw a conclusion, but the British and Italian figures stand out for me based on the approach by the two countries.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-which-european-regions-had-the-highest-number-of-excess-deaths-12018172

Jeez yeah, those are awful figures.

"The number of deaths registered in over 75-year-olds has been particularly high in Spain, where deaths in this group were 66% higher than expected."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And yet we have a thread dedicated to excoriating Sweden when they are no worse on the basis of excess deaths going by that Sky data, to any of the places either side of a line drawn from Scotland to half way down Italy.

Ireland needs to have no new Covid-19 cases for 4 weeks before virus is under control and travel to other covid secure countries can be allowed says infection expert

https://www.irishpost.com/news/ireland-needs-to-have-no-new-covid-19-cases-for-4-weeks-before-virus-is-under-control-according-to-infection-expert-188474

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ireland needs to have no new Covid-19 cases for 4 weeks before virus is under control and travel to other covid secure countries can be allowed says infection expert

https://www.irishpost.com/news/ireland-needs-to-have-no-new-covid-19-cases-for-4-weeks-before-virus-is-under-control-according-to-infection-expert-188474
    I'd be happy to say the virus was under control already if there were some proper procedures in place for travel.

Professor McConkey has yet to take a consistent position on anything he has said to-date. He changes his opinion with ridiculous regularity.

Different Professor but at least he is consistent.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-infectious-disease-expert-says-some-countries-safe-for-international-travel-1008538.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Professor McConkey has yet to take a consistent position on anything he has said to-date. He changes his opinion with ridiculous regularity.

Different Professor but at least he is consistent.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-infectious-disease-expert-says-some-countries-safe-for-international-travel-1008538.html

He's worse than Luke O'Neill

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    He's worse than Luke O'Neill

I mentioned two. McConky and Lambert is named in the article.
    Whom are you referring to and why?

I mentioned two. McConky and Lambert is named in the article.
    Whom are you referring to and why?

Prof Luke O'Neill - we don't need to worry about the virus in Ireland to its a very serious virus, don't need to wear face masks to you should always wear face masks to name a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Prof Luke O'Neill - we don't need to worry about the virus in Ireland to its a very serious virus, don't need to wear face masks to you should always wear face masks to name a few

That's interesting and all but I didn't mention O Neill and neither did the article. So who's worse than O Neill , and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    there's more good news on the Oxford vaccine. One thing of note, Astra zeneca say they can create a billion doses in two months. Incredible stuff. I've attached an article from The I below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/science/coronavirus-vaccine-uk-latest-oxford-race-scientists-august-covid-19-trials-497704/amp

If an effective vaccine is developed and produced in large enough numbers to eradicate this before the end of the year I could see a huge boom Time.It could be much like a post war one but with rivers of government stimulus Super charging it- A Covid Tiger economy.

• Advertisement

Did they ever actually control the first wave?

sideswipe wrote: »
    If an effective vaccine is developed and produced in large enough numbers to eradicate this before the end of the year I could see a huge boom Time.It could be much like a post war one but with rivers of government stimulus Super charging it- A Covid Tiger economy.

Going by the stories on the after hours Celtic tiger thread it'll be a well earned party time. The €6000 champagne is on me lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Going by the stories on the after hours Celtic tiger thread it'll be a well earned party time. The €6000 champagne is on me lads.

I’m off to copyright the phrase Covid Tiger before David McWilliams gets in there;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There's loads of talk of morons and cliques but no mention of who they are? Am I in the clique? It'd be an honour! If I'm not in, where can I join?

Apologies I reread your reply, I feel I took you up wrong the first time. You were referring to McConkey being worse than O Neill. Totally agree, I can only assume with his qualifications he is intelligent. I just can't see the evidence in his opinions.

There's loads of talk of morons and cliques but no mention of who they are? Am I in the clique? It'd be an honour! If I'm not in, where can I join?

Well there's the nerds, the jocks, the popular kids, the goths and the dorks. Just pick whichever works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Have you accused other posters of hoping for more deaths? If not, then you're probably not a member.

Well there's the nerds, the jocks, the popular kids, the goths and the dorks. Just pick whichever works for you.
    i think i've been assigned to the 'unemployed and only posts here because he has loads of time and is clearly a loser' clique by some others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

We all need to shut our mouths now according to the rte news and fergal bowers. OK, they weren't the words they used but apparently the virus can be spread from a talking and singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

sideswipe wrote: »

We'll all be Tiger Kings yet

• Advertisement

Would you care to elaborate,who are the posters that you are calling morons.Your sanctimonious nonsense is becoming tiresome.Long past time that you came under the watchful eye of the mods.

Why are you encouraging me to engage in more sanctimonious nonsense? I'll just report your post as wasting the page rather than engage further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Already done with many people.
    And yet no adverse effects all the way back to May 18 so either your numbers are wrong or few of them were a risk in the first place.

You're not in the clique, your posting standards are just that little bit too high. Though the bar isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

owlbethere wrote: »
    but apparently the virus can be spread from a talking and singing.

Has that ever been up for debate? Anything that produces droplets from the mouth or nose can technically spread the virus if the virus is present in the droplets. This is where the mask wearing comes into play.

I feel like talking or shouting is even more risky than sneezing and coughing, look at the meat plants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I feel like talking or shouting is even more risky than sneezing and coughing, look at the meat plants

Look at where meat plant workers were living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

petes wrote: »
    One of my team members went home to Poland last weekend for a break. On return he won't be able to come in to the office for two weeks. Obviously can't comment on other companies procedures as I don't know them but that's the stance we've taken.

Thanks for the reply. I can understand the quarantine or the self isolation away from work after travelling because travelling was considered high risk from the start of this pandemic.

I'm also interested in learning about how companies will respond to staff taking other high risk activities as illustrated in the graph a few pages back. Like if staff attend to wedding or a concert or other large gatherings and events - will staff be required to notify their place of work. Will they be required to self isolate? How about a wedding within the governments guidelines of 50 people gatherings. That is due to change soon too and go up. Even with the government guidelines around weddings I would still consider them to be high risk, because of drinking and dancing.

Apologies I reread your reply, I feel I took you up wrong the first time. You were referring to McConkey being worse than O Neill. Totally agree, I can only assume with his qualifications he is in intelligent. I just can't see the evidence in his opinions.
    Many of them have a title that looks to be important in all of this. There has been a steady procession of medical people pronouncing throughout this. Whatever people may think about Holohan and Glynn, they have always been consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Drumpot wrote: »
    ... This thread has been abhorrent since I came back ...

Coincidence?

:-)

• Advertisement

In good news: The Intensive Care section of the hospital of Bergamo, Italy, which has been the most COVID-battered city in the world, is now COVID free.
    https://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/topnews/2020/07/08/intensiva-ospedale-bergamo-e-covid-free_75328b17-223d-466b-ad06-b43819ddf29a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Why are you encouraging me to engage in more sanctimonious nonsense? I'll just report your post as wasting the page rather than engage further.
    Careful,you will soon run out of people to report,better still have you not a more like minded forum to suit your views in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Dude your not in the clique .... you are the clique

Careful,you will soon run out of people to report,better still have you not a more like minded forum to suit your views in the UK.

Another person trying to hound people out because they disagree with them. Total hypocrisy. I barely reported anyone until today when clearly I should have as those on "your side" have been doing so constantly. Why am I even justifying it to you? Why not just ignore people and/or report them? I'm afraid to say I don't get a kick out of attacking people for the sake of it. Please stop.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Many of them have a title that looks to be important in all of this. There has been a steady procession of medical people pronouncing throughout this. Whatever people may think about Holohan and Glynn, they have always been consistent.

McConkey has been consistently inconsistent. Agreed about the other two in the main.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Agreed.

I’ve pmd a mod about this. This thread has been abhorrent since I came back a few weeks ago. There is a clique effectively modding this thread and anybody who gets on the wrong side of this group for any reason suffers antagonism , insults and gets chased/hounded off the thread with zero ramifications for the constant attacks.

It has to be because they report posts more then those they attack because it’s rampant in this thread and it’s only the supposed “doom mongers” who seem to be swept out of the thread.
    There are plenty of self-righteous on both sides of the argument. It's the nature of debate and as this is now into the 5th month of it, people getting fed up with what they see are entrenched positions is inevitable.

• Advertisement

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Dude your not in the clique .... you are the clique
    thats a very nice thing to say

McConkey has been consistently inconsistent. Agreed about the other two in the main.
    I think he just likes talking!

thats a very nice thing to say

Be the clique you want to see in the world.

Be the clique you want to see in the world.
    Be the crick you want to see in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Another person trying to hound people out because they disagree with them. Total hypocrisy. I barely reported anyone until today when clearly I should have as those on "your side" have been doing so constantly. Why am I even justifying it to you? Why not just ignore people and/or report them? I'm afraid to say I don't get a kick out of attacking people for the sake of it. Please stop.

will ya stop posting about how you are going to stop posting!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement