Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

In good news: The Intensive Care section of the hospital of Bergamo, Italy, which has been the most COVID-battered city in the world, is now COVID free.
    https://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/topnews/2020/07/08/intensiva-ospedale-bergamo-e-covid-free_75328b17-223d-466b-ad06-b43819ddf29a.html

The best news. But given it took 5 months to get here, it's sobering for the rest of the world and it's vital we keep our foot on this virus.

will ya stop posting about how you are going to stop posting!!

Report those who keep asking me questions then. If you're actually being genuine in your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

In good news: The Intensive Care section of the hospital of Bergamo, Italy, which has been the most COVID-battered city in the world, is now COVID free.
    https://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/topnews/2020/07/08/intensiva-ospedale-bergamo-e-covid-free_75328b17-223d-466b-ad06-b43819ddf29a.html

Excellent news, I've just seen also Italy reported 193 new cases, 71 of which were in Lombardy, 15 new deaths and 71 in ICU. From where they were only 2 months ago they are very good hospital numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

fr336 wrote: »
    The best news. But given it took 5 months to get here, it's sobering for the rest of the world and it's vital we keep our foot on this virus.

Yes, Lord forbid we look on it in a fully positive light.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Lyle wrote: »
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Apparently cases today are 1 Cork, 8 Dublin, 1 Kildare, 1 Galway according to the new Covid App

Source Cork Safety Alerts

There was also Louth +3, Meath +1, Monaghan +1, Tipperary +1 and Waterford +2

That's not today though.

So the Covid App has passed out the data released on the dashboard? That'd be great if it was up-to-the-minute and on-the-day reporting, rather than the 2 day lag we have on county information now.

Anyone have the breakdown for yesterday (7/7) so?

ACitizenErased (or anyone from your clique ;)), you seem to be on the ball with the stats on this, is the above correct that the Covid App is giving case data by county on the day that its reported now rather than lagging two days behind on the dashboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Another person trying to hound people out because they disagree with them. Total hypocrisy. I barely reported anyone until today when clearly I should have as those on "your side" have been doing so constantly. Why am I even justifying it to you? Why not just ignore people and/or report them? I'm afraid to say I don't get a kick out of attacking people for the sake of it. Please stop.
    What the hell are you on about,no interest in hounding you or anybody else out.Your wish is granted first on my ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ACitizenErased (or anyone from your clique ;)), you seem to be on the ball with the stats on this, is the above correct that the Covid App is giving case data by county on the day that its reported now rather than lagging two days behind on the dashboard?
    As far as I can see it's two days behind. Dublin added 8 cases yesterday to total 12263 and that's what it says on the app.

Ireland's Covid-19 tracker app reaches 1 million users
    https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-tracker-app-1-million-5144464-Jul2020/

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes, Lord forbid we look on it in a fully positive light.

Life was positive earlier in the year before this virus had a foothold in countries due to entirely avoidable errors in letting it spread until it was too late. Italy weren't to know, but the rest of the west were. I'm determined we don't make the same mindless mistakes again. Nobody wants more social and economic chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Absolutely incredible. I latched onto Italy stories early in this and always felt that it was the way we were all heading. Thankfully we prepared well for a similar scenario that didn’t fully manifest, but seeing them at this stage, and us with 9 in ICU, gives some hope as to where we’re going.

• Advertisement

lukas8888 wrote: »
    What the hell are you on about,no interest in hounding you or anybody else out.Your wish is granted first on my ignore list.

Ooh the first, out of all your time on Boards you've never ignored anyone before that's believable. Anyway, all the best!

Ireland's Covid-19 tracker app reaches 1 million users
    https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-tracker-app-1-million-5144464-Jul2020/

Just spotted it on the app, I really didn't expect such an uptake, fantastic numbers

Just spotted it on the app, I really didn't expect such an uptake, fantastic numbers
    Apparently there's 3.2 million phone users in Ireland, minus 16 year olds and under it's about 2.5 so we're nearly just over a third of the way there

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

As far as I can see it's two days behind. Dublin added 8 cases yesterday to total 12263 and that's what it says on the app.

Nice one. The head'd be melted trying to stay on top of all the figures when some are actually on the day like tests and some are lagging like county data.

Nice one. The head'd be melted trying to stay on top of all the figures when some are actually on the day like tests and some are lagging like county data.
    The best to follow is the dashboard. You know it's up to date when the latest date on the county data is 2 days before today's date. So yesterday's figures are labelled as the day before, if you get me :D

Population:
    Island of Ireland: 6.8 million
    State of Arizona: 7.3 million

Covid-19 cases in the last 7 days:
    Island of Ireland: 106
    State of Arizona: 30,561

Apparently there's 3.2 million phone users in Ireland, minus 16 year olds and under it's about 2.5 so we're nearly just over a third of the way there

Really is good going, I'd imagine the HSE didn't expect it to in 48hrs be at 1 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Population:

That is nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Arghus wrote: »
    That is nuts.

It's almost like they are not trying to stop it..oh wait...

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    It's almost like they are not trying to stop it..oh wait...

At least we’ll know when it stops. If it really is 100% susceptibility or is there some innate immunity. Sweden went up a curve and came down. Be interesting to see what happens in these states.

Interesting part is that compared to Spain, Arizona has the equivalent of 450,000 cases, but less than 9,000 deaths. In fact their death numbers aren’t far off ours with >5x more cases. Not sure if they’re pulling the pneumonia trick that some other states are allegedly pulling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,687 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

At least we’ll know when it stops. If it really is 100% susceptibility or is there some innate immunity. Sweden went up a curve and came down. Be interesting to see what happens in these states.

Interesting part is that compared to Spain, Arizona has the equivalent of 450,000 cases, but less than 9,000 deaths. In fact their death numbers aren’t far off ours with >5x more cases. Not sure if they’re pulling the pneumonia trick that some other states are allegedly pulling.

Re the pneumonia - I wouldn't be surprised, be even less surprised if it wasn't at the behest of Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Ah F-CK OFF!!!!

Seriously ???

F*ck this sh*t!!!
    Plus cases in Spain surging again, it's just like it was in late February with the news out of North Italy - I just know what's ahead - depressing sense of inevitability about it.

This will go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ..................................

Ah F-CK OFF!!!!

Seriously ???

F*ck this sh*t!!!
    Plus cases in Spain surging again, it's just like it was in late February with the news out of North Italy - I just know what's ahead - depressing sense of inevitability about it.

This will go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ..................................

Is Spain surging? They seem to have plateaued around 200-400 cases per day, not far off Italian numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Population:

Trying to gain herd immunity by the looks of things.
    Risky business when we don’t 100% know how long immunity lasts with covid anyway.

Ah F-CK OFF!!!!

Seriously ???

F*ck this sh*t!!!

Hector, it'll be alright. We are gaining info all the time. Some things may be worse than anticipated, a lot will be far better. At least we're not back in February.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well, there's the thing. We are used to countries reporting cases etc, but there are regional epidemics that put those limited resources under strain.

Statistics can enlighten or obscure. And then there is journalism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Population:

Covid19 parties are a thing in the us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

:)

Thank you ACitizenErased for all your contributions and updates

I know sometimes I can be a negative nelly worrying of case increases, more waves but it is nice to see some good news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Population:

Absolute state of them.

sideswipe wrote: »
    I’m off to copyright the phrase Covid Tiger before David McWilliams gets in there;)
    The Covid Drainfly doesn't have much of a ring to it... Any other horrible bottom-feeding animal we could use to typify the decrease in prosperity that's about to hit?

Iran are having an absolutely horrific time. Don't click this video if you are easily distressed.
    https://twitter.com/hossienysalman/status/1276768953281503232?s=19

The testing situation in Australia seems to be about as reliable as ours, as a boy is told he's negative and then positive after the has travelled from Melbourne to NSW
    http://www.mygc.com.au/vic-teen-tests-positive-for-covid-19-in-nsw/

The unreliable tests don't tend to get reported on as regularly here but a friend of fella I know (hearsay, take with due salt pinch) got a positive result so started self-isolating, was then phoned and told he was actually negative and then finally they rang him again to say that he actually was positive after all. Luckily he had continued to isolate anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ah F-CK OFF!!!!

Seriously ???

F*ck this sh*t!!!

Buried at the bottom of thst guardian article with the scary brain inflammation xray thumbnail.

"David Strain, a senior clinical lecturer at the University of Exeter Medical School, said that only a small number of patients appeared to experience serious neurological complications and that more work was needed to understand their prevalence."

That's 40 patients being discussed in that article. Out of how many cases?

Yet again another article being deliberately framed in the most scary way possible.

I appreciate there's alot not yet known about the disease but again, is there any hope of just reporting the facts without subtle spin.

• Advertisement

Gods Gift wrote: »

No they're not.

South Carolina Population: 5.1 million 48909 cases and climbing

Rep Ireland Population: 4.8 million. 25542 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Explained: Why ‘coronavirus parties’ are a new worry in the US
    Coronavirus parties in the US: Over the past few weeks, there have been several parties in the city of Tuscaloosa and surrounding areas, with authorities only recently beginning to crack the whip.
    https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/coronavirus-covid-19-parties-have-become-a-new-worry-in-us-alabama-6492651/

Young people are throwing coronavirus parties with a payout when one gets infected, official says
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/alabama-coronavirus-parties-trnd/index.html

There's a current fascination in the media of getting people in Melbourne to talk to us about what lockdown is like - as if we have trouble imagining it for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Coronavirus parties....that's racist they are peaceful protests

Population:

This is also a good argument for the previous lockdown and ongoing restrictions. If Ireland had even half the cases of Arizona, that would be a major problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Like we don't have parties here as well. Just not called covid parties.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Where are other people's warnings?
    Not enough substance in this post.
    More substance here.
    Thanks, I reported this instead of getting into another conversation.
    No that is not what I said. Read it again. Tell me, what do you think of those who taunt those they disagree with saying "yeah bet you're disappointed there weren't more cases and deaths weren't you" Do you support this kind of behaviour? Or do you think it should be moderated?
    I apologise for any pointless posts, I won't be responding to any morons anymore I'll be reporting them as I should have been doing all along. I was sucked into arguing rather than reporting too easily. Sorry.
    Threadbanned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Yes but not with the sole purpose of getting and spreading the damn thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

I wonder if Qatar is/will be the world example on this. They've got to just over 100,000 cases (population 2.8 million), so 3.6% of their population has officially been diagnosed with the virus - which is by far the largest percentage on the planet in any country. New infections seem to be slowing down a bit, but they are still seeing over 500 new daily cases.

Compared to the US states and European cases, they do have loads of migrants living in poor conditions.

Yes but not with the sole purpose of getting and spreading the damn thing.

That's an urban myth doing the rounds since April.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I can understand the quarantine or the self isolation away from work after travelling because travelling was considered high risk from the start of this pandemic.

I'm also interested in learning about how companies will respond to staff taking other high risk activities as illustrated in the graph a few pages back. Like if staff attend to wedding or a concert or other large gatherings and events - will staff be required to notify their place of work. Will they be required to self isolate? How about a wedding within the governments guidelines of 50 people gatherings. That is due to change soon too and go up. Even with the government guidelines around weddings I would still consider them to be high risk, because of drinking and dancing.

I very much doubt any company will do that. They would be for always losing people for 2 weeks. And it would involve an inappropriate amount of prying into people’s lives outside of work.

The only reason some companies are insistent that people who have travelled stay away from the office for 14 days is not because of the infection risk, but rather that it is a government advisory / request for arrivals to self isolate, and they could get in trouble if they knowingly let someone return to the office in breach of this request, who then infects someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

We did but to be fair I don't think any parties here had the added dimension of having a cash prize to the person who got the virus first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    We did but to be fair I don't think any parties here had the added dimension of having a cash prize to the person who got the virus first.

Yeah but its made up so...

That's all a myth FFs. It's been doing the rounds for months and the state involved varies with the telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah but its made up so...

Well the fire chief of Tuscaloosa, Alabama doesn't agree as he confirmed to that city's council of that behaviour happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    100% There is a nasty undercurrent to a lot of it.

To be honest, it's been the case for weeks. Anything cautious: Curtin twitcher, Doom-monger.
    The irony of this title being given to you by people who are typically breathless with telling everybody there's going to be innumerable suicides because of lockdown is a particularly flabbergasting one.

Nobody wants case numbers to go up, but are concerned, rightly, that it could happen again. But this blindingly obvious motivation is lost on many, who prefer to mischaracterise people they disagree with as somehow masochists - when in actual fact the most painful thing of all is reading the frequent illogical gibberish that passes for "debate" around here.

It was worse on the other thread, Relaxation of Restrictions, obvious trolling and ganging up on a poster in an attempt , successfully often , to get them so tied up replying to every line or word that was twisted or taken out of context , to a succession of posters , that the " doom monger " and " curtain twitcher " s they were labelled by these would not report some of the nastier insults, and then got banned themselves . Why , because the gang and the fan boys of which they were more numerous on that thread , pressed report so many times for the op .
    I have learned from this ...
    Don't feed a troll, press the report button instead .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Well the fire chief of Tuscaloosa, Alabama doesn't agree as he confirmed to that city's council of that behaviour happening.

"We thought that was kind of a rumor at first," Smith told the council members. "We did some research. Not only do the doctors' offices confirm it but the state confirmed they also had the same information."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Hector, it'll be alright. We are gaining info all the time. Some things may be worse than anticipated, a lot will be far better. At least we're not back in February.

We're still alive and 5 months closer to a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We're still alive and 5 months closer to a vaccine.

Hopefully a vaccine doesn't become the new nuclear fusion in that we will always be just 6 months from having one.

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    It was worse on the other thread, Relaxation of Restrictions, obvious trolling and ganging up on a poster in an attempt , successfully often , to get them so tied up replying to every line or word that was twisted or taken out of context , to a succession of posters , that the " doom monger " and " curtain twitcher " s they were labelled by these would not report some of the nastier insults, and then got banned themselves . Why , because the gang and the fan boys of which they were more numerous on that thread , pressed report so many times for the op .
    I have learned from this ...
    Don't feed a troll, press the report button instead .

That thread is a joke, has been for a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement