Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is really turning into a Zara from Virgin type reporting. There will be questions tomorrow about it and the CMO will say he hasn't seen it! Expert seems to be anyone who's worked near COVID in any way, these days!

The CMO should be asked why he removed his tweets in relation to travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Boggles wrote: »
    It's the same thing. Think about it.

It's not, I heard the interview on my way home from work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Working in Dublin airport today and haven't been near departure gates or seen what on board planes is like. But it has been quite busy from what I've seen. More busy than I expected. But no where near levels at this time of year or even pre covid. The boards look more full compared to when I was out here a good few weeks back. So more flights departing and arriving. But no idea of how full or empty these planes are.

I agree with travel to countries with low levels of cases who are doing a good job. And I see on board the airplane as safe. It's the airport that worries me a bit. I've seen plenty of examples of no social distancing and temp removal of masks or fidgeting with them this morning. Also seen people without masks which I didn't think was allowed. Some big American c**t actually removed his mask while standing over me to cough earlier. I was down at my laptop bag.

Hopefully the airport can be very strict on enforcing measures otherwise we unfortunately have great potential to see an increase in travel related cases. I travel a lot with work and my usual opinion is that a lot of people leave their brains at the door as soon as they enter an airport. No time for that **** this time.
    If it was me I would have reported him to the airport police. Moronic behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just came across this in NY times. Absolutely brilliant visualisation / animation of how it spread initially. Well worth a look. A lot going on to get that effect so your laptop might overheat. :)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/22/world/coronavirus-spread.html

518442.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Not the smartest medical staff member me thinks:

0014b8bd-614.jpg?ratio=1.78
    A medical staff member rests in front of a fan in the Covid-19 intensive care unit at the United Memorial Medical Center in Houston, Texas

I know but its not comfy wearing PPE and sweating every minute of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

If it was me I would have reported him to the airport police. Moronic behaviour.

There's a reason I know he was American. I reacted angrily to him straight away although not sure if he caught my thick Dublin accent from behind my mask. He fumbled through an apology however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If they refuse to wear a mask as will shortly be made mandatory then yes they should.

Ok, so if someone wears a mask travelling to an equally virus supressed country as our own country?

shinzon wrote: »
    Well when they come back and start spreading the virus again you may change your tune tbh. We have had already imported cases each family that flies out and back in again increases the chance of it spiking exponentially. Incredibly selfish of these people to risk throwing away all we have achieved in suppressing the virus and keeping the numbers low for a few weeks in the sun.

So yeah you bet I have a problem with people flying out when public health advice is to not to very very foolish.

Shin

You cannot enforce health advice for non essential travel here. I hope we dont see spike again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He claims to have worked with 700 Covid patients and managed through the proper precautions avoided contracting it himself, so yes I would suggest he's an expert being a professor is also a plus.
    As is Gerry Killeen and that very odd woman out of UCD who seems to think it's all a hoax. He also ranted on about care homes for quite a while and at one stage suggested sending GPs into them. Himself and the other experts are to COVID what 2009 was to economists, a few moments of glory and none of them are shy about voicing opinions loudly. Lest you imagine I am challenging him on this, I am not. If you want to travel it's your own choice but I do take issue with the rent an expert approach the media uses to "explain" things to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Renjit wrote: »
    I know but its not comfy wearing PPE and sweating every minute of it.

Now to be fair they could be in the process of putting on the PPE? But if not, they should probably go back and do a refresher course on how PPE works...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ZX7R wrote: »
    The CMO should be asked why he removed his tweets in relation to travel
    He probably will be. I care about this as much as wedding sizes!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's not, I heard the interview on my way home from work.

Of course it is, he saying holidays are safe if you take precautions.

Ergo, holidays are not safe if you don't take precautions.

Do you think the Magaluf crew are not going to spend the week píssed out of their head trying to fornicate?

He is looking at the micro not the macro.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Where will you be spying on today?

I haven`t decided yet bud. Wherever it is if I observe any breaches of health requirements they will be noted and reported if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

shinzon wrote: »
    Sickening scenes at Dublin airport this morning on Ireland Am news. The amount of people flying out is worrying in the extreme.

The clear public health advice is no non essential travel off of the Island, yet Ireland be like. With the amount of imported cases on the rise this gets even more dangerous now.

Shin
    I heard an interview on the radio with some of the people at airport this morning....literally all howyasss...one claimed to be an athlete ..going to Amsterdam... the only thing he would be running is drugs...

I agree with travel to countries with low levels of cases who are doing a good job. And I see on board the airplane as safe. It's the airport that worries me a bit. I've seen plenty of examples of no social distancing and temp removal of masks or fidgeting with them this morning. Also seen people without masks which I didn't think was allowed. Some big American c**t actually removed his mask while standing over me to cough earlier. I was down at my laptop bag.

Obese people have more difficulty breathing. Masks make it worse.

Boggles wrote: »

Ergo, holidays are not safe if you don't take precautions.

Doesn't that apply to everything at the moment? Public transport, confined spaces example small shops........

gmisk wrote: »
    I heard an interview on the radio with some of the people at airport this morning....literally all howyasss...one claimed to be an athlete ..going to Amsterdam... the only thing he would be running is drugs...

Was it stated if many of these people interviewed were going on sun holidays?

I’d say a large proportion travelling could be visiting families too not just sun , sex, sea and drugs ;-)

• Advertisement

What difference does it make, the advice is no non essential travel however there is no enforcement or defined term as to what is non essential.
    I will be visiting friends in August regardless of what the advice is. As far as I'm concerned it fits the essential criteria for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Professor Jack Lambert on Morning Ireland.Covid is now part of life, we need to move on . Good interview considering he worked with over 700 cases of Covid but he did stress he took precautions and didn't contract the virus.

Yeah, the issue was that that you basically have to wear a mask all the time during your holiers to remain safe, feic that.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ok, so if someone wears a mask travelling to an equally virus supressed country as our own country?

The whole airport traffic is going to the same country?

Doesn't that apply to everything at the moment? Public transport, confined spaces example small shops........

For some reason people don’t see that. It could be because planes give you access to virus ridden countries but i’m quite sure they won’t be on the air bridge list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Thanks for posting. Very few 'whey pints at the airport #boardingpass' posts on twitter this morning. Someone complaining yesterday though.

https://twitter.com/Weareallalittl2/status/1277904402259591168?s=20

It's a stupid complaint though as they're all getting on the bloody plane to sit beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A couple of them were I think.
    Some were going home to visit family they hadn't seen in months in fairness (Singapore).

They were asked about self isolating at home for two weeks when they were back....they all said they would of course... wink wink....they will in their hole lol.

I’m reffering to countries that will be included in the air bridge scheme. If someone visits a virus ridden country i’m quite sure the 14 quarantine advice will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Everyone in departures is coming from the same country - arrivals is where you would want to take extra precautions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Obese people have more difficulty breathing. Masks make it worse.

Don't think it prevents them from lifting their arm to do it into their elbow though. Covid or no covid. Don't be a dirty ****er.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's a stupid complaint though as they're all getting on the bloody plane to sit beside each other.

And looks like they're wearing masks mostly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement