Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

cnocbui wrote: »
    No it didn't.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/05/05/light-touch-sweden-suffers-smaller-growth-hit-coronavirus/

I'm not interested in economic projections and guesses and expectations.

First three months of 2020? Jan - March?
    Thats what your basing it on?

We hadn't even shutdown then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

On the new covid app if I click on Covid tracker and look at the graph for daily confirmed cases
    On tjhe left of the graph it gives number
    200 . 400 . 600 . 800
    And along the bottom of the graph are numbers 29 . 28 . 23 . 19 . 13 . 8

I just cannot figure out what the bottom row represents ? Can any guide me please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    On the new covid app if I click on Covid tracker and look at the graph for daily confirmed cases
    200 . 400 . 600 . 800

I just cannot figure out what the bottom row represents ? Can any guide me please

The date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

200 . 400 . 600 . 800

They are dates. My screen shows the month too.
    Feb 29, Mar 28, Apr 23 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Northern Ireland are removing quarantine for low and medium risk countries, the list still to be announced but that really puts the policy here as being completely pointless now.

Fly into Belfast and away you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The date
    Yep.

29 FEB, 28 MAR, 23 APR, 19 MAY, 14 JUN, 8 JUL

is what I see on my app.

The date

Thanks so 8 th of July is the last date ? Are the other dates random dates from each month ? Then the peak of 800 was in April ?

Thanks so 8 th of July is the last date ? Are the other dates random dates from each month ? Then the peak of 800 was in April ?

Every month prior yes

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yep.

29 FEB, 28 MAR, 23 APR, 19 MAY, 14 JUN, 8 JUL

is what I see on my app.

I see those dates but no month to indicate it was in March etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Capturekhgd.png

Europe in the Midst of a pandemic .

You'd have to agree with the American scientists, that the virus is airborne , it sure is/

When was that snapshot of europe taken? I was getting a slightly different picture than that throughout the last few months.

Go on flightradar and zoom out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

cnocbui wrote: »
    No it didn't.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/05/05/light-touch-sweden-suffers-smaller-growth-hit-coronavirus/

I'm not interested in economic projections and guesses and expectations.

Ohh Yes, it did...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/sweden-s-grim-covid-19-result-more-death-and-nearly-equal-economic-damage-1.4300102

This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighbouring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better. “They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington.

“It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

Sweden’s laissez faire approach does appear to have minimised the economic damage compared with its neighbours in the first three months of the year, according to an assessment by the International Monetary Fund. But that effect has worn off as the force of the pandemic has swept through the global economy, and as Swedish consumers have voluntarily curbed their shopping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hopefully some truth to this. This guy is called the positive professor so likely to be some bias

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1281181037071085575

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

wadacrack wrote: »

Thanks for sharing. Makes a lot of sense to have a joined up approach between UK and Ireland. We need to nail down a plan and get stuck into it.

If one country doesn't solve it we are all at risk. We need schools to open. The only logical way to get back to normality is to go for zero tolerance approach. As soon as it's gone and we have controls to catch cases means that we can send our kids to school etc without a second wave. We need to be real about the alternative.

Northern Ireland are removing quarantine for low and medium risk countries, the list still to be announced but that really puts the policy here as being completely pointless now.

Fly into Belfast and away you go

Its pointless anyway. How many people are going to stay at home for two full weeks?. Tbh youd be lucky if people stayed at home for 3/4 days in full.

We're supposed to be a Union, the aim should be to work together as a Union and lock the rest of the countries who aren't in the Union out. That's the best we can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Its pointless anyway. How many people are going to stay at home for two full weeks?. Tbh youd be lucky if people stayed at home for 3/4 days in full.

We're supposed to be a Union, the aim should be to work together as a Union and lock the rest of the countries who aren't in the Union out. That's the best we can hope for.

There was a memorandum of understanding agreed between NI and ROI as they said an all Island approach was needed, but this now makes the travel restrictions here redundant if you can fly to Belfast and off you go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,654 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Global cases passed 12 million

6 more deaths RIP

23 additional cases

The reproductive rate is now at or above 1

NPHET has today recommended that all visitors to healthcare settings including GP practices, hospitals and pharmacies wear face coverings

15 of the 23 cases today are travel related

• Advertisement

6 more deaths RIP

23 additional cases

15 of those cases from travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Hmmm

I know it's very hard for them to get accurate data with it now because case numbers are so low. But it's on the increase again

NPHET has today recommended that all visitors to healthcare settings including GP practices, hospitals and pharmacies wear face coverings

They need to be clear and make masks compulsory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    15 of those cases from travel

Highlights the need for mandatory quarantine

At least we're picking up travel cases, this wasn't the case at the beginning. Mehole Martin really needs to get up off his arse now and do something about this travel situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Is this seriously only the first time they've said that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All these idiots jetting off to the sun thinking they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Cases are bound to go up after easing a lockdown as severe as ours but let's just hope we can keep on top of things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

77% of today’s cases are under 25 also.

Interesting stat

If you take out the travel cases we have incredibly low levels of disease. Need to do something about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Spent the other evening in Crumlin A&E, daughter and I were the only ones in masks apart from clinical staff. All patients, parents, admin and service staff without.

Some worrying patterns but still low positivity rates

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1281273144024748034

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Cases are bound to go up after easing a lockdown as severe as ours but let's just hope we can keep on top of things.

Thst is true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's here in ROI right?

So disappointing if so, R rate above 1 doesn't sound promising, and I know it is still relatively low, but it all started here with just one case.

Look, I'm not a cave dweller afraid of my own shadow or anything, but it is a bit of a concern that so soon after opening up things are on the up again. Probably inevitable, given the number of people who just flat out refuse to use masks in shops and PT, and SD is largely gone now too.

New Gov needs to nail this down.

Hopefully it is a blip and will settle down again. Oh my this thing is not very nice is it. Parts of Spain are having outbreaks also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

15 of the 23 cases today are travel related

Absolute fukking madness. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

All these idiots jetting off to the sun thinking they're great.

These "idiots" wouldn't be back yet unless someone flew out on the first flight on 1st July.

That's here in ROI right?

So disappointing if so, R rate above 1 doesn't sound promising, and I know it is still relatively low, but it all started here with just one case.

Look, I'm not a cave dweller afraid of my own shadow or anything, but it is a bit of a concern that so soon after opening up things are on the up again. Probably inevitable, given the number of people who just flat out refuse to use masks in shops and PT, and SD is largely gone now too.

New Gov needs to nail this down.

Hopefully it is a blip and will settle down again. Oh my this thing is not very nice is it. Parts of Spain are having outbreaks also.
    The new cases aren't particularly arising in Ireland. 15 of today's cases are from abroad. I don't think we have an issue here. The issue is people bringing it in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Gael23 wrote: »
    Highlights the need for mandatory quarantine
    It highlights the need to stop foreign tourists

All cases today are aged under 44

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Not good to see 6 deaths today after having just 1 death in the last 4 days. The 7 day average is rising to 14 cases a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

These briefings need to be better presented - the charts are pointless except as a future tweet as things stand.

Anyone have graphs from early March for cases in Ireland or somewhere where I can set graph filters to show that?

Will be interesting to compare the cases coming in now compared to early March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's great news, chances of someone dying from these cases is absolutely tiny.

A lot of elderly are still more or less locking down perhaps?

Analysis of cases as of midnight Tuesday 7th July - 25,543 (+12)

Healthcare Workers +14
    Clusters +24
    Cases associated with clusters +79

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +1
    5-14 No Change
    15-24 +3
    25-34 +3
    35-44 +1
    45-54 +2
    55-64 +1
    65-74 No Change
    75-84 No Change
    85+ +1

Cases by County
    Cavan +1
    Cork +2
    Donegal +1
    Dublin +3
    Kildare +1
    Limerick +1
    Westmeath +2
    Wicklow +1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I agree that cases will go up a little surprised it has taken this long but would need a few days record to see if it is a trend also the travel bit is a worry. As long as hospitalizations and ICU do not increase I doubt we will see and backtrack on certain restrictions yet. The advice going to the GP or hospital should be mandatory but I suppose a GP can not see a sick patient maybe if no mask you have to stay outside or in car until called. My dentist has a procedure where when you come you ring in to say you have arrived and then they will call you back when you can see the dentist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A lot of elderly are still more or less locking down perhaps?

Not 2 sure seen a lot out but they are wearing masks and staying the distance apart. Maybe doing the rules a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Tis but a moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement