Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Are all 15 from travelling abroad or could it be 1 travel and 14 caught it from their return?
    I wish they would have more information on travel. Is it NI/UK/Africa/Spain etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The new cases aren't particularly arising in Ireland. 15 of today's cases are from abroad. I don't think we have an issue here. The issue is people bringing it in.

Thanks for the clarification, but it still skews our stats, and exposes more of us to travel related spread.

I'm not surprised though, but obviously disappointed. Is there anything the Gov can do to contain the travel related infections. There is no mandatory quarantine, no temperature checks, free travel between NI and ROI, and flights arriving every day from the US and the UK.

I hope it doesn't escalate, but now is the time to do something, not when it gets much worse. Which I hope it doesn't. But who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

40/50% of close contacts refuse the Day 7 test

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Analysis of cases as of midnight Tuesday 7th July - 25,543 (+12)

Healthcare Workers (+14)

I don't get this, how do healthcare workers outnumber cases if there's no denotifications? Or is that retrospective data on the healthcare workers rather than a daily correlation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,654 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We need strict quarantine on incoming travel by sea and air and also from NI

Lyle wrote: »
    I don't get this, how do healthcare workers outnumber cases if there's no denotifications? Or is that retrospective data on the healthcare workers rather than a daily correlation?
    Contact tracing takes weeks, may not know they're a healthcare workers for several days

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

marno21 wrote: »
    77% of today’s cases are under 25 also.

Interesting stat

Covid raves :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

15 of the 23 cases today are travel related

That is quite alot of travel cases. If it wasn't for travel, it would be 8.

Can they or will they do anything about traveling?

The issue is people bringing it in.

That's where it all started.

• Advertisement

That is quite alot of travel cases. If it wasn't for travel, it would be 8.

Can they or will they do anything about traveling?
    Depends on whether FF want to grow a pair.

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's great news, chances of someone dying from these cases is absolutely tiny.

Glass if half full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Are all the jouros paid to be negative? From last week you’d know the R0 was going to 1, the way Nolan was talking.
    But wasn’t it only last week as well that they said the R0 isn’t the real indicator it’s the icu, hospital admissions and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Spent the other evening in Crumlin A&E, daughter and I were the only ones in masks apart from clinical staff. All patients, parents, admin and service staff without.

Same this morning when I was visiting my doctor. Was shocked to realise that I was the only patient there wearing a mask. Clinical staff were wearing masks but none of the administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Some perspective needed before this thread turns into a complete mess.

https://www.thelocal.de/20200622/germanys-coronavirus-r-number-rockets-above-2-what-does-that-mean

https://www.thelocal.de/20200622/germanys-coronavirus-r-number-rockets-above-2-what-does-that-mean
    The reproductive number is virtually irrelevant when we have such low case numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭spookwoman

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Same this morning when I was visiting my doctor. Was shocked to realise that I was the only patient there wearing a mask. Clinical staff were wearing masks but none of the administration.

That's very worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The new cases aren't particularly arising in Ireland. 15 of today's cases are from abroad. I don't think we have an issue here. The issue is people bringing it in.

We definitely have an issue, the virus is very contagious.

Our original cases were foreign contractions (obviously) and it began to spread within the community afterwards, so we're at serious risk of community spread increasing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

40/50% of close contacts refuse the Day 7 test

What the fúck is this? It should be mandatory

Between that and our non existent airport restrictions, we really have a spineless Government

As ego driven as Leo was, he definitely seemed to take more action than the new fella

That's great news, chances of someone dying from these cases is absolutely tiny.

Until one of those cases infects their grandparents.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    We definitely have an issue, the virus is very contagious.

Our original cases were foreign contractions (obviously) and it began to spread within the community afterwards, so we're at serious risk of community spread increasing now.
    You can't really compare now to a time where social distancing didn't exist and a COVID test was not even attainable.

• Advertisement

Surely everyone by now knows its not something to lose their minds over? It's going to fluctuate and its not accurate when we have such small case numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're not allowed in the door of my doctor's without a mask and no waiting in the waiting room is allowed. All stuff wore masks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The reproductive rate is now at or above 1

This was explained previously but its going to be used now as a headline of R above 1 or covid growing again.

In reality as it was explained not too long ago, when you have a smaller number of cases to work with R is very difficult to estimate and models will produce something close to 1 with low case numbers.
    Occurred in Switzerland for example back in late May / early June and was explained well in a tweet. I'll try dig it up

No entry without a mask, and all staff should return the compliment too. That's easy, otherwise it's a facetime consult or a 14 day quarantine for surgery staff. So simple really. If you NEED to go for whatever reason, you wear a mask. Same on Public Transport and in shops. Few are observing it. Don't see the danger I suppose, but not enough emphasis from Gov about this at all.

Inward travel could become problematic. But hey ho, pubs opening up soon, holiday season resumes and away we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

You can't really compare now to a time where social distancing didn't exist and a COVID test was not even attainable.

No, it's different alright but you just have to look around you to see that social distancing is not adhered to by everyone.

We might no see cases jump as fast as they did back in March and onwards but we will see them go up now that we have fresh outbreaks.

De Gascun seems fairly convinced it's not airborne. States the r-number would be in mid teens if it was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The reproductive number is virtually irrelevant when we have such low case numbers

I agree, but many won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭gipi

My mother has visited her GP several times over the past couple of months - patients aren't allowed in unless they have a mask on. Front door on a buzzer with CCTV, so they can see from reception.

If a patient turns up without a mask, they are met by staff at the door and given one. All staff wearing mask and\or face shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,562 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why with all these figures about internal air transmission are we seeing no big outbreaks amongst staff working within supermarkets? You would assume the virus would spread like wildfire if that was the case as they are exposed daily to customers.

Seems like the cases today are related to really big clusters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All cases today are aged under 44

They have families some of whom will be elderly.
    Renjit wrote: »
    Covid raves :pac:

House party fcukwits as documented in the media are probably part of this, maybe most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I would suggest you read on R number and exponential increase. Maybe fine atm but if it remains for only a few days iy can and would cause a problem been over 1

I would suggest you read on R number and exponential increase. Maybe fine atm but if it remains for only a few days iy can and would cause a problem been over 1
    I would suggest you listen to the press conferences

But we still have to be cautious. Seems to me that all restrictions are over now and no one cares anymore.

It's all in the message or non message should I say. Open up, wear a mask if you feel like it, eat a meal or not in the pub, stay there all night (friends went to Wexford last weekend and it was a free for all, all night long). Etc. and so on.

I'm delighted things are opening up again for the sake of those who need their jobs back, but it really should have been partnered with a clear message about observing the rules for everyone's sake. But no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Oh gosh I don’t like to see this after such positive trending over the last few days. Borders need to be closed if cases continue to rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Until one of those cases infects their grandparents.

Ya but they aren't as of yet.

With all due respect if you've listened to Prof nolan this was flagged weeks ago, he said with lower cases to work with producing a R value would be difficult and would rise.
    Only last week he said R was now not a statistic to be looking at

And for close contacts of confirmed cases;

Day 0 testing - 19.7% don't turn up.

Day 7 testing - 48.9% don't turn up.

What a joke that is.

• Advertisement

Prof. Nolan just said he 'is not sounding an alarm' because of the rising r-number.

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Oh gosh I don’t like to see this after such positive trending over the last few days. Borders need to be closed if cases continue to rise

close what borders ??? NI are removing quarantine for low and medium risk countries so how exactly do we close the borders

I don't know why any of the journalists have not asked any questions about further restricting travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Lollipop95 wrote: »

We might learn something with a second wave of this.

Prof. Nolan just said he 'is not sounding an alarm' because of the rising r-number.

As he's said for the last few weeks.

Yet RTE have just basically given a public health warning with the headline R is close to or above 1 in the first piece of news read after the ad break.

Media going to run with this now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

gipi wrote: »
    My mother has visited her GP several times over the past couple of months - patients aren't allowed in unless they have a mask on. Front door on a buzzer with CCTV, so they can see from reception.

If a patient turns up without a mask, they are met by staff at the door and given one. All staff wearing mask and\or face shield

That seems to be the norm. Payments need to complain if those basic measures aren't in place .

• Advertisement

Ya but they aren't as of yet.

And how do you know that? That's right...you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As he's said for the last few weeks.

Yet RTE have just basically given a public health warning with the headline R is close to or above 1 in the first piece of news read after the ad break.

Media going to run with this now
    Just as long as they don't let George Lee near it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

close what borders ??? NI are removing quarantine for low and medium risk countries so how exactly do we close the borders

Perhaps do like the US did back in March and impose travel bans. As it stands, American citizens can still fly into Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lyle wrote: »
    And for close contacts of confirmed cases;

Day 0 testing - 19.7% don't turn up.

Day 7 testing - 48.9% don't turn up.

What a joke that is.
    Probably the same idiots thinking its only a flu and how the resetrictions weren't needed and that the tracing app is a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

All cases today are aged under 44

How many of them are actually sick though?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement