Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

As he's said for the last few weeks.

Yet RTE have just basically given a public health warning with the headline R is close to or above 1 in the first piece of news read after the ad break.

Media going to run with this now

It sounds like they should be sounding the alarm on close contacts not reporting for tests now in a big way. How that is not a mandatory public health measure, I do not know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

US2 wrote: »
    How many of them are actually sick though?

They said they’re picking up a lot of asymptomatic healthcare staff at nursing homes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There are an awful lot of professors and medical experts out there and they all seem to be saying different things. So many different names have just popped up in the last couple of weeks all saying their piece.

Who the heck is in charge now, Ronan Glynn or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just as long as they don't let George Lee near it!

Nowhere to be seen today, small miracles. I'll never forget the panic attack he was having when Varadkar announced reopening was being brought forward. Utter non sensical ramblings

Lyle wrote: »
    It sounds like they should be sounding the alarm on close contacts not reporting for tests now in a big way. How that is not a mandatory public health measure, I do not know.

yeah thats unbelievable, if your a contact get a test, bloody hell its a basic thing. Perhaps the ambulance service could do house visits again? Might be a waste of resources though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Oh gosh I don’t like to see this after such positive trending over the last few days. Borders need to be closed if cases continue to rise

Didn't happen in March not going to happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

yeah thats unbelievable, if your a contact get a test, bloody hell its a basic thing. Perhaps the ambulance service could do house visits again? Might be a waste of resources though

We're gonna eat through a lot more resources if these gobsh*tes not reporting for a test end up being positive and infecting others. Absolute clowns.

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Perhaps do like the US did back in March and impose travel bans. As it stands, American citizens can still fly into Ireland

yeah impose travel bans on high risk countries including the US for sure but the change in NI policy is now at odds with our blanket 14 day quarantine so its going to make any restrictions quite difficult

The thing thats annoying me the most is the close contacts refusing tests. Fairly fecking selfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Are you actually suprised?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

They said they’re picking up a lot of asymptomatic healthcare staff at nursing homes

I'm seeing "asymptomatic" more and more in the last week

What a crafty virus

Has anyone got data or study they trust on the estimated % of a country's population that have had it/had it but don't show any symptoms?

I've seen reports since April saying everything from 5% to 50%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Could they enforce it with a reduction in covid payments for offenders? Obviously this would only apply for some people, but..

I can't see any feasible way to make the 14-day post-travel quarantine enforceable - banning travel from "unsafe" countries might be the simplest approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

With all due respect if you've listened to Prof nolan this was flagged weeks ago, he said with lower cases to work with producing a R value would be difficult and would rise.
    Only last week he said R was now not a statistic to be looking at

Yes and that is why I said that it would need to be over 1 for a prolonged period. Of course if it is not staying at 1 it will not be bad but he did say we all need to be diligent about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The thing thats annoying me the most is the close contacts refusing tests. Fairly fecking selfish.

Not helped when there is images online of health care workers almost carrying out brain surgery with a swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I don't know why any of the journalists have not asked any questions about further restricting travel.

Probably they booked a long vacation in Italy or Spain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Not helped when there is images online of health care workers almost carrying out brain surgery with a swap.

Transparency has its downsides at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Tbf those refusing to get tested likely have no brain to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

We might learn something with a second wave of this.

You know if you say it over and over it might eventually come true. If I had a euro for every time a second wave has been predicted here I'd be a happy man indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ficheall wrote: »
    Could they enforce it with a reduction in covid payments for offenders? Obviously this would only apply for some people, but..

I can't see any feasible way to make the 14-day post-travel quarantine enforceable - banning travel from "unsafe" countries might be the simplest approach.
    A spot of public flogging might do the trick as well. Lest we lose the run of ourselves, it's 23 cases today. We'll see next week when they produce the list of countries. I'm betting that anyone on a flight from Sweden will be tested!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You're not allowed in the door of my doctor's without a mask and no waiting in the waiting room is allowed. All stuff wore masks too.

I would have thought that that would be the case in every doctor's practice and was shocked at what I saw this morning.

It was such a contrast to Specsavers where everyone wears masks. You are only allowed inside the premises if you are getting your eyes tested. When you go back to collect your glasses, you wait outside until they bring them to you.

The powers that be need to stop prevaricating and mandate that people wear masks in enclosed spaces, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Travel. Is that time travel, space travel? It's not enough to just say travel. They should spell out what type of travel. Always concealing information to control the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Could it be that those close contacts refusing the test on day 7 is because the first test on day 0 picked up that they had it? Therefore refusing test on day 7 as there would be no need for one
    *grasping firmly onto any straws here

Remember the days we were reporting 400 cases a day? Mad how things change, yet 23 feels like a lot given how well we’ve done. Perspective is a great thing, we’re well able to get this under control with a bit of cop on from government on travel. Open up to the EU and whatever other countries have it under control, shut to everywhere else. Fairly basic stuff like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,654 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's great news, chances of someone dying from these cases is absolutely tiny.

It is not just the elderly dying from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

polesheep wrote: »
    Travel. Is that time travel, space travel? It's not enough to just say travel. They should spell out what type of travel. Always concealing information to control the narrative.

As not many of us time or space travel, it's patently obvious.

I think most people have enough intelligence to deduce what type travel it is......granted I suppose those who have actually booked holidays for the next few months (and actually think they can go happily) may be lacking quite a bit but surely they can figure out what type of travel it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Be right back

It looks worse than it is!!

The tests should be mandatory, fined if refuse

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think most people have enough intelligence to deduce what type travel it is......granted I suppose those who have actually booked holidays for the next few months (and actually think they can go happily) may be lacking quite a bit but surely they can figure out what type of travel it is?

Are you sure? Those Iraqis hadn't been on holiday. Travel covers a multitude, including repatriations, ferry journeys for funerals, etc. I realise that doesn't suit your purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

No entry without a mask, and all staff should return the compliment too. That's easy, otherwise it's a facetime consult or a 14 day quarantine for surgery staff. So simple really. If you NEED to go for whatever reason, you wear a mask. Same on Public Transport and in shops. Few are observing it. Don't see the danger I suppose, but not enough emphasis from Gov about this at all.

Inward travel could become problematic. But hey ho, pubs opening up soon, holiday season resumes and away we go!

I can't understand when they go to the trouble of sending a reminder text for the doctor's appointment that they can't include a request for people to wear masks when they visit the surgery.

Unless and until the Government gets serious about the mask wearing, we are going to have this inconsistency all over the place. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The tests should be mandatory, fined if refuse
    We don't actually have a law for that.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    As not many of us time or space travel, it's patently obvious.

No, it's not.

Remember the days we were reporting 400 cases a day? Mad how things change, yet 23 feels like a lot given how well we’ve done. Perspective is a great thing, we’re well able to get this under control with a bit of cop on from government on travel. Open up to the EU and whatever other countries have it under control, shut to everywhere else. Fairly basic stuff like.

We all know this should happen, it's just that the new Admin is not decisive enough yet. We have to wait a bit for the Green corridors.

However, I doubt they will stop inward travel from US and UK do you?

In the meantime people can travel inwards with impunity, until a decision is made. It's like as if the Gov want to see what a free for all inward travel system looks like before they have to make a "hold the press" decision on the matter. Don't want to offend anyone do they, but the health of our country is far more important than how we look on the world stage, and no one gives a damn, every country is making decisions for their own citizens and no bad vibes for that AFAIS.

Are you actually suprised?

Yes actually, if your a close contact its in your own interests to start with to get the test

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Renjit wrote: »
    Probably they booked a long vacation in Italy or Spain :pac:

Ciara Kelly said thered be nothing wrong with people going off to the dordogne or similar, but listed off places that shouldn't be allowed.

I bet she has a trip booked there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is not just the elderly dying from it

It's Just that they comprise the great majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly said thered be nothing wrong with people going off to the dordogne or similar, but listed off places that shouldn't be allowed.

Ciara looking after her own interests? Never! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Yes actually, if your a close contact its in your own interests to start with to get the test

I know, I'd want to know I have this thing early to get the medical advice I need.

Some people have their heads wedged firmly up their hole.

Are you sure? Those Iraqis hadn't been on holiday. Travel covers a multitude, including repatriations, ferry journeys for funerals, etc. I realise that doesn't suit your purpose.

Did you think the Iraqi's time travelled or do you think Iraq is in space? I get you may be confused.

• Advertisement

If it were me I would go out of my way to get a test. Some strange people in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I do think it's fair to see if this is rise of one day or if there is a trend upwards even though we had 24 cases this week on Tuesday of this week. We need to wait and see. That's not to say we shouldn't be vigilant and continue to do what we've done up till now but panic helps no one.

I'm suprised at that. Some idiots have regularly said this is only a flu or the restrictions are pointless and it only kills elderly.

I'd imagine its some of those dopes laughing at the idea of a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

16 cases in sligo in the last 14 days https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=906366889773438&ref=watch_permalink

kildare had 23 cases

55 in dublin

45 were health care workers

Weepsie wrote: »

Miaow.

You're probably right though, she has been missing in action on NT this week anyway.

As long as she and her family don't bring it back it's all good. If she is there in France, she got away before the Green Lane thinggy anyway. Clever woman.

Anyone can travel down from NI, the government need to get their fcuking act together on travel

Did you think the Iraqi's time travelled or do you think Iraq is in space? I get you may be confused.

You don't think the mode of travel, the origin of the traveller or the purpose of the travel are important? I'm glad you're not running any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

As he's said for the last few weeks.

Yet RTE have just basically given a public health warning with the headline R is close to or above 1 in the first piece of news read after the ad break.

Media going to run with this now

And a push notification to boot, without context.

The media went into a frenzy a few weeks back when Germany went above one due to large meat factory clusters. The next day or so it was down to 0.6 again after they traced it very well. Very little reporting on the drop though.
    Seems like the cases today are related to really big clusters

Didn’t catch the press conference, did they allude to clusters or mention specifics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

yeah impose travel bans on high risk countries including the US for sure but the change in NI policy is now at odds with our blanket 14 day quarantine so its going to make any restrictions quite difficult

The irony is northern Ireland and uk are more at risk from us now.
    The US is not on there safe to travel list,
    We have to put restrictions on high risk countries

• Advertisement

You don't think the mode of travel, the origin of the traveller or the purpose of the travel are important? I'm glad you're not running any of this.

I'm getting the feeling you've a holiday booked?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement