Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

16 cases in sligo in the last 14 days https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=906366889773438&ref=watch_permalink

heard of a house party kildare

kildare had 23 cases

55 in dublin

45 were health care workers
    We're catching health care workers because we're testing them regularly. It goes to show how much undetected spread there may be. Opportunities for superspreading aren't going to be allowed anytime soon, but anyone going to a large event indoors (e.g. House party) is an idiot in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm getting the feeling you've a holiday booked?

That's not an answer. It's just another push for your agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

polesheep wrote: »
    That's not an answer. It's just another push for your agenda.

Aaand that answer now makes your previous rubbish make so much sense :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

16 cases in sligo in the last 14 days https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=906366889773438&ref=watch_permalink

kildare had 23 cases

55 in dublin

14 of those cases in Sligo were one family from Iraq who travelled via Belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Interesting that lots of counties were going days and weeks without cases and now since travel restrictions have been lifted there are more single cases cropping up about the place. Could be unrelated but it seems linked. We know the Sligo story but good few others are breaking streaks now.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1281284398931939328?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭spookwoman

kildare had 23 cases

55 in dublin

Week gone now on the waterford house party, probably start seeings results soon enough if they do present for testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gael23 wrote: »

There was 2 clusters up there, the Iraq one and the months mind one, I would have expected those numbers to be already washed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

spookwoman wrote: »
    Week gone now on the waterford house party, probably start seeings results soon enough if they do present for testing

Ya the 50th wave will be here next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ZX7R wrote: »
    The irony is northern Ireland and uk are more at risk from us now.
    The US is not on there safe to travel list,
    We have to put restrictions on high risk countries

Who is in charge on a political level with regard to allowing in the likes of the USA?
    I know we take advice from NPHET but who is the politician in charge who has to present the idea of closing access to USA travellers, to Micheal martin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Aaand that answer now makes your previous rubbish make so much sense :pac:

You should have taken the time to think before jumping in with your smart ar#e comment. Any intelligent person would ask what type of traveller is coming in and from where. Unless, of course, it suits your agenda not to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is not just the elderly dying from it

It is though.

Time to bump this post.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    How do you know most shop workers weren't?

This thread endlessly focuses on the negatives to the point people lose sight of the fact that most people experience either very mild symptoms or none at all, particularly those in the age group in which most supermarket employees would fall.

It is though.

Time to bump this post.

Is that the case in the USA? Or Brazil? Or northern Italy when stuff was bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Renjit wrote: »
    Update from Baldy

Who's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If it were me I would go out of my way to get a test. Some strange people in this country.

Likewise, if I was to be identified as a close contact I'd want the test. Why on earth you'd refuse is just unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tom1ie wrote: »
    Is that the case in the USA? Or Brazil? Or northern Italy when stuff was bad?

Yes, believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Who's that?

YouTube travel blogger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Thank fully we won't have to worry about that anymore thanks to the UK and northern Ireland.
    Iraq not on there list.
    There list is not to shabby no real high risk on it bar the UK it's self

Yes, believe it or not.

That young people aren’t dying from it or are suffering long term complications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is not just the elderly dying from it

The vast vast majority of the people dying are, i fail to understand how people can not grasp simple statistics.

US2 wrote: »
    Ya the 50th wave will be here next week.

Silly comment.

I'm getting the feeling you've a holiday booked?

Or the job may be travel related.

That young people aren’t dying from it or are suffering long term complications?

Very few, but I doubt you needed to be told.

And a push notification to boot, without context.

The media went into a frenzy a few weeks back when Germany went above one due to large meat factory clusters. The next day or so it was down to 0.6 again after they traced it very well. Very little reporting on the drop though.

Didn’t catch the press conference, did they allude to clusters or mention specifics?

I'd agree. Mentioned that here that very week, there was little reporting on the German R value after that 1 days reporting. A cluster has the effect of inflating R dramatically as we've seen in Germany. That happens when you've a low base of numbers

Similar while we're on the German topic the R value there today is estimated on a 4 day average as 0.66 and 7 day average is 0.86

They didn't travel through Belfast that was a rumour. Picked up at Dublin Airport by a family member and went home to the rest of the family where is where the cluster was caught within the family.

Who is in charge on a political level with regard to allowing in the likes of the USA?
    I know we take advice from NPHET but who is the politician in charge who has to present the idea of closing access to USA travellers, to Micheal martin?

Dept of Foreign affairs and the Dept of transport. So Covney and Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I did up a comparison of the cases by county month on month (June 7th to July 7th)

519373.PNG

I consider the country very much opened up in all of that time, so I think we've done pretty well.

Yes, that the vast majority of young people who have been infected and who don't have other serious health problems wont be suffering long term complications.

Bergamo is a good example of a full-on, near worst case scenario. It was a tragedy, the number of people who died amounted to 0.39% of the population and most were over 65.

Even given today's spike, people are calling for travel bans, quarantines and so forth, rather than wake up to the reality you can't stamp this virus out. A ban on travel might have to be forever. It's ridiculous. No government can afford it. Such a 'cure' is worse then the consequences of facing up to the reality that the virus can outlast our resources and just accepting the consequences, while taking practical and affordable steps to mitigate - such as pervasive mask wearing in enclosed spaces.

• Advertisement

Very few, but I doubt you needed to be told.

So young people are dying and getting long term complications albeit in small numbers.
    I suppose the thing with small percentages of a larger number is as the larger number increases, the smaller percentage numbers also increases.

Has there been any direction from either of these two on stopping American tourists from entering Ireland? Have the media even asked this question?

Yes, that the vast majority of young people who have been infected and who don't have other serious health problems wont be suffering long term complications.

Bergamo is a good example of a full-on, near worst case scenario. It was a tragedy, the number of people who died amounted to 0.39% of the population and most were over 65.

Even given today's spike, people are calling for travel bans, quarantines and so forth, rather than wake up to the reality you can't stamp this virus out. A ban on travel might have to be forever. It's ridiculous. No government can afford it. Such a 'cure' is worse then the consequences of facing up to the reality that the virus can outlast our resources and just accepting the consequences, while taking practical and affordable steps to mitigate - such as pervasive mask wearing in enclosed spaces.

A ban on allowing USA tourists into Ireland is absolutely needed whatever about other forms of travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hearing of two possible clusters because of house parties involving two GAA clubs in West Cork.

So young people are dying and getting long term complications albeit in small numbers.
    I suppose the thing with small percentages of a larger number is as the larger number increases, the smaller percentage numbers also increases.

Tom the evidence from across Europe including here is not hidden. You can get emotive and throw in a few what ifs and the odd outlier but it doesn't change the facts to-date.

Has there been any direction from either of these two on stopping American tourists from entering Ireland? Have the media even asked this question?

No they are too busy getting people living here to wag the finger at other people who live here that plan on going on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Just accepting the consequences will not be acceptable to some people just as more restrictive measures to mitigate the effects of the virus are not acceptable to you.

Part of the facing up to the reality is that accepting that while this virus persists that there will be consequences you don't agree with. Some of these will be restrictions on your previous freedoms that you will not like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Eod100 wrote: »

Thanks

I needed that today

I think if we can get our airports under better control we can have a safe as a country can be until/if we get a vaccine or (more likely) very effective treatments

Tom the evidence from across Europe including here is not hidden. You can get emotive and throw in a few what ifs and the odd outlier but it doesn't change the facts to-date.

Not getting emotive at all plumb. The fact is we are allowing USA tourists and uk Tourist (although I’m not sure what we can do about this) into the country at a time when we have kept numbers low and at a time where we have relaxed restrictions.
    It’s bananas to be honest.
    Travelling within the Eu imo isn’t a great idea but allowing hotspot tourists in is crazy.

No they are too busy getting people living here to wag the finger at other people who live here that plan on going on holidays.

Has the question even been asked by our toothless media?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So we will have a list of countries that the associated travel cases came from on Monday.
    About time.
    It might give an indication of what our green list may be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Who's that?

He's a You Tube vlogger the channel is called Bald and Bankrupt. It's quite interesting, he spends a lot of time in Russia with Vodkaholics in remote areas, can speak the lingo and I enjoyed it during lock down anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,649 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hearing of two possible clusters because of house parties involving two GAA clubs in West Cork.

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own stupid actions, complete bellends

Has the question even been asked by our toothless media?

No because they are engaged in the same practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Merry_Hell

Are hits from the SCOPI serological research project being classified as confirmed covid cases? I see the project is concentrating on sligo and dublin.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Just accepting the consequences will not be acceptable to some people just as more restrictive measures to mitigate the effects of the virus are not acceptable to you.

Part of the facing up to the reality is that accepting that while this virus persists that there will be consequences you don't agree with. Some of these will be restrictions on your previous freedoms that you will not like.

It’s not freedoms that are the issue. It’s economic survival

Coveney in the media about his perks i.e. driver, car, Gardai protection etc., and Ryan got a haircut

This "new" government off to an awful start

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I was waiting for someone reputable (Helen Branswell is) to report on this.

May be covid, maybe not.

One to watch anyway.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1281300761327132675?s=19

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1281229113290825728?s=19

Not getting emotive at all plumb. The fact is we are allowing USA tourists and uk Tourist (although I’m not sure what we can do about this) into the country at a time when we have kept numbers low and at a time where we have relaxed restrictions.
    It’s bananas to be honest.
    Travelling within the Eu imo isn’t a great idea but allowing hotspot tourists in is crazy.

I'd be wary of Spanish, German and Italian coming in also and now we have many Irish heading off abroad

PCeeeee wrote: »

Where have I said explicitly, or implied, that my stance has anything whatsoever to do with my personal circumstances or a resentment of impinged personal freedoms?

There goes my plan for Covid rave next week :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement