Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I was waiting for someone reputable (Helen Branswell is) to report on this.

May be covid, maybe not.

One to watch anyway.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1281300761327132675?s=19

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1281229113290825728?s=19

Will you go away with that bull****, we have enough to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

How many US tourists are going to Ireland right now? Anyone got any numbers? I cant imagine its that many. There is still a do not travel advisory in place so trips can be rescheduled or refunded. Many airlines choose to keep running flights even though they are practically empty, especially to busy hub airports, because if they cancel the route temporarily they will lose their slot permanently, so in the long run it makes more sense to keep them going. It doesn't mean there are hoards of Americans flying over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Coveney in the media about his perks i.e. driver, car, Gardai protection etc., and Ryan got a haircut

This "new" government off to an awful start

I don’t know. It’s crazy. We are hearing more about a minister that was driving slightly over the limit while on a provisional than we are about stopping potentially infected tourists from entering the country so we can better protect our own citizens.
    Governments priorities are shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just back from aldi and say about 2 people wearing masks, heard the same for another supermarket,

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd be wary of Spanish, German and Italian coming in also and now we have many Irish heading off abroad

If the yanks keep coming over here I’d say the Spanish German and Italian governments will ban Irish tourists!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, that the vast majority of young people who have been infected and who don't have other serious health problems wont be suffering long term complications.

Bergamo is a good example of a full-on, near worst case scenario. It was a tragedy, the number of people who died amounted to 0.39% of the population and most were over 65.

Even given today's spike, people are calling for travel bans, quarantines and so forth, rather than wake up to the reality you can't stamp this virus out. A ban on travel might have to be forever. It's ridiculous. No government can afford it. Such a 'cure' is worse then the consequences of facing up to the reality that the virus can outlast our resources and just accepting the consequences, while taking practical and affordable steps to mitigate - such as pervasive mask wearing in enclosed spaces.

You cant stamp it our but you can control/slow it down.
    If the virus is allowed to build to overwhelm HealthCare and the economy suffers as well as death rate /people sweden has proved that already.

So travel bans from hotspots, quarantine are all good ideas and used successfully in countries where they have the virus under control.

And their economies are doing well as well.

Its a fine balance, between travel ban from hotspots, quarantine, and life as usual.. too extreme either way and countries are in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Renjit wrote: »

I was expecting that to be quite click baity but it's actually a great insight

A must see for those who think it's only old people who can get seriously fecked up with this. He's only in his mid 40s and he ended up in ICU

We need to stop describing cases like this as "outliers", it's becoming as annoying a phrase as "new normal"

He also explains a long recovery ahead (a few months) before his lungs are near 100%. In the video his arms get weak holding the camera so he has to keep swapping the hand he's holding it in

Yet, he'd be listed as "recovered" from the virus

We need more of a spotlight on the fact that "Recovered" from this can mean far from it. 92% in Ireland aren't recovered from this. They simply aren't testing positive for it anymore. There's many people like this guy all over Ireland, yet our media barely talk about them. The Irish media present the 92% stat constantly and rarely speak about after effects

Funniest bit was when he mentions the strangest side effect of all the antibiotics that was pumped into him: his cóck shrank!

Essential viewing. He's very likable but tells it like it is here. Thanks for the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

spookwoman wrote: »
    Just back from aldi and say about 2 people wearing masks, heard the same for another supermarket,

How many of the staff have you seen wearing masks over tha last 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

tom1ie wrote: »
    Silly comment.

Whats silly about it? People have been telling us the 2nd wave will be here in 2 weeks every weekend since it started. Its like People enjoy being scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Has there been any direction from either of these two on stopping American tourists from entering Ireland? Have the media even asked this question?

Don't recall it being asked to be honest

ZX7R wrote: »
    So we will have a list of countries that the associated travel cases came from on Monday.
    About time.
    It might give an indication of what our green list may be

last time they gave an update it was US, UK, Portugal, Ukraine, Sweden, India and Bangladesh. So this time expect Iraq to be added on anyway.

How many of the staff have you seen wearing masks over tha last 2 months?

Don't see staff but usually see a lot more customers wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Covid season is officially over now.

Cork nursing home which last had a case back in April has reported an asymptomatic case in a member of staff caught in the current testing being carried out on healthcare staff, all other staff tested negative. All residents to now be tested
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-visits-suspended-at-cork-nursing-home-1010301.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Was in Dunnes Stores last night and well over 50% wearing masks

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    You cant stamp it our but you can control/slow it down.
    If the virus is allowed to build to overwhelm HealthCare and the economy suffers as well as death rate /people sweden has proved that already.

So travel bans from hotspots, quarantine are all good ideas and used successfully in countries where they have the virus under control.

And their economies are doing well as well.

Its a fine balance, between travel ban from hotspots, quarantine, and life as usual.. too extreme either way and countries are in trouble.

And for how many years do you think any country can keep this sort of keeping-a-lid-on-it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He's a You Tube vlogger the channel is called Bald and Bankrupt. It's quite interesting, he spends a lot of time in Russia with Vodkaholics in remote areas, can speak the lingo and I enjoyed it during lock down anyway.

Yeah pretty good, alot of good vids in India he speaks that too (or one of it's many) ....

watched one recently he smuggles a kitten out of Cuba to Belarus with some bird........not sure if it was much of a step up for kitty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hearing of two possible clusters because of house parties involving two GAA clubs in West Cork.

Hmmm interesting

Hasn't hit the figures yet (well unless over last two days figures)

That will be a balls with championship upcoming

Well if the staff aren't wearing them and they are in the store for what, 8 hours at a time(?) and aren't getting infected en mass, then it probably doesn't matter how many customers do or don't wear masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

May be covid, maybe not.

One to watch anyway.

God I want to restart 2020

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

May be covid, maybe not.

One to watch anyway.

Is this another disease on our way?

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Yeah pretty good, alot of good vids in India he speaks that too (or one of it's many) ....

watched one recently he smuggles a kitten out of Cuba to Belarus with some bird........not sure if it was much of a step up for kitty :rolleyes:

The kitty is much healthy now. Watch out furry_bandito on instagram for updates.

Pretty crazy that it hasn’t been asked to be honest. I wonder would they take a question on twitter......

Well if the staff aren't wearing them and they are in the store for what, 8 hours at a time(?) and aren't getting infected en mass, then it probably doesn't matter how many customers do or don't wear masks.

Asymptomatic and mild symptoms.

That complete and utter gobshíte Zara King was asking far more important questions. Like when we can have weddings and haircuts again

Only if the Chinese have failed in keeping a lid on that bubonic plague case the have.

Silly statement.

Are you privy to how many staff in the supermarket have gotten infected, how much time they spend out on the shop floor, are they behind plastic?

How about the health of the customers or their habits, do you know that to?

May be covid, maybe not.

One to watch anyway.

This is how Covid started and we were all scoffing at it in January

I'm building a feckin' bunker with amazing wifi and a years supply of food :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In my local shop earlier, 20 odd in the shop, not a mask in sight. Elsewhere I've been it's very mixed and perhaps more than the early days but generally quite a minority.

How serious was/is Kazakhstan taking c19? They are saying a deadlier virus than c19 but maybe it’s c19 not taken seriously (no SD nonlockdown lack of hygiene etc) mixed with an older demographic or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Renjit wrote: »
    Asymptomatic and mild symptoms.

Or not spreading it. If it's spreading as easy as some people say in a supermarket there would be more community cases (couldn't all be asymptomatic) and cases would not have plummeted.

And for how many years do you think any country can keep this sort of keeping-a-lid-on-it up?

Who's talking years?

Have a little faith in science. They will figure it out vaccine/treatment.

How serious was/is Kazakhstan taking c19? They are saying a deadlier virus than c19 but maybe it’s c19 not taken seriously (no SD nonlockdown lack of hygiene etc) mixed with an older demographic or something.

I dunno Chinese Embassy involved, they'd have figured out if it was COVID-19 I would have thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why are Irish ppl so anti mask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

We are just too good looking. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think that this is covid, possibly faulty test kits.
    Who knows though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's advisory not mandatory. Many people judge they don't have a need for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

One thing I will not do is trust the Kazakhs as medical experts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why are Irish some ppl so anti mask?

FYP

• Advertisement

Who's talking years?

Have a little faith in science. They will figure it out vaccine/treatment.

But my covid rave next week cannot wait for science:pac:

I dunno Chinese Embassy involved, they'd have figured out if it was COVID-19 I would have thought..

Hmmmm. Hard to trust them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I think that this is covid, possibly faulty test kits.
    Who knows though.

Yeah I mean, what are the odds of another mysterious deadly pneumonia emerging just while the world is already in the middle of a pandemic? Very slim. But if it is some other new thing, well we're all fooked.

Gruffalox wrote: »

And this is a God gifted breathing apparatus meant for that sweet sweet oxygen, not for masks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Not very. Kazakhstan is an highly corrupt country. They lifted restrictions way too early and are now seeing a spike.

Gruffalox wrote: »

I read that in his voice

c80c0fef154c876ae9be2365d0274650.png

• Advertisement

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Not very. Kazakhstan is an highly corrupt country. They lifted restrictions way too early and are now seeing a spike.

I seen that in Borat. Pretty good documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

One thing I will not do is trust the Kazakhs as medical experts...

True. 56000 covid cases and only 264 deaths. Something doesn't add up.

Hmmmm. Hard to trust them tbh.

They'd surely have been able to figure out if its COVID-19 when its running rampant there with 6 months, thats all Im thinking.

But what do I know? I'm only guessing. (shrug)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭jackboy

A lot of new cases originating from travel. Same thing as was seen at the start of the pandemic. The response again seems to be just let it happen and deal with it after we get a spike in cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah I mean, what are the odds of another mysterious deadly pneumonia emerging just while the world is already in the middle of a pandemic? Very slim. But if it is some other new thing, well we're all fooked.

Yeah I know itd be like the feckin old testament if it was another disease. But surely Occam's razor would suggest in the middle of an outbreak of a pneumonia causing disease the likely cause is the existing one rather than a new one. Anyway the Kazakh government are as reliable as a 3 quid gold watch and the Chinese embassy...let's not go there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement