Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Roaring trade in Killarny yesterday with American tourists apparently.

Any link or reliable source for this apparent news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

is_that_so wrote: »
    There seems to be an assumption with airports that we will be back to March. Even in countries who have seen imported cases they have been small in number and we are far better able to deal with it now. Some of the suggestions are draconian and disproportionate to the actual risk.

So what do you suggest? Continue to allow American tourists in (which goes against Eu advice btw) and hope they will quarantine?

There seems to be an assumption with airports that we will be back to March. Even in countries who have seen imported cases they have been small in number and we are far better able to deal with it now. Some of the suggestions are draconian and disproportionate to the actual risk.

So what do you suggest? Continue to allow American tourists in (which goes against Eu advice btw) and hope they will quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mr zulu wrote: »
    More false news, I work in killarney, not a sign of American tourists only Irish holiday makers.
    Keep up with your Whatsapp news for God's sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

How about a field lab at the airport with a 2 hr turn around for result. Surely that's achievable. It's been a fudge on everything from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

copeyhagen wrote: »
    thats great, but whats your opinion on the govt letting in a constant flow of visitors to this Country? i see 5 airplanes from the US this morning, of about 200 airplanes landing today.

thats ok though is it? tell the Irish not to leave while letting everyone else in.

Letting people in from riskier destinations.

By the way I recognise there are risks especially if you have groups of people Including from destinations with high number of cases who are not socially distancing in nightclubs etc. returning to Ireland.

tom1ie wrote: »
    How many American tourists are actually coming in? My impression is that most of them are Irish people. I think the possible testing of passengers from high risk areas is a better approach for all.

How many American tourists are actually coming in? My impression is that most of them are Irish people. I think the possible testing of passengers from high risk areas is a better approach for all.

Well honestly we (I) don’t know, it would be nice to get those figures so we can gauge the potential risk.
    However one or two asymptomatic carriers could cause a lot of seeding so why take the risk?
    There’s not a lot we can do about the uk but at least we could do something about the Americans.

Northern Ireland has decided to green lane from France, Germany, Italy and Spain so I think that is a good signal for 20 July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not sure this is reliable but here goes

https://extra.ie/2020/07/05/news/irish-news/fears-flagged-us-tourists-visiting-ireland

plenty of british tourists around donegal aas well and small dublin reg rentals (obviously absolutely nothing like a normal summer ) but i doubt they are quarantining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Northern Ireland has decided to green lane from France, Germany, Italy and Spain so I think that is a good signal for 20 July.

If anything it puts the government here in a more difficult position, we know they don't want travel but now there's essentially a green light to enter the island via Belfast and no questions asked which makes measures in Dublin redundant for any country on the NI green list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

heard the same from a work mate that lives there yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

thats great, but whats your opinion on the govt letting in a constant flow of visitors to this Country? i see 5 airplanes from the US this morning, of about 200 airplanes landing today.

thats ok though is it? tell the Irish not to leave while letting everyone else in.

And are those planes full of a "constant flow" of American tourists? Do you have the figures for this? Pretty sure they are practically empty. They cant cancel those routes because they'll lose them, so they keep them going as long as they can for operational reasons. But I really doubt there are the usual level of tourists given that its a pandemic and travel is advised against by the US gov and also, loads of Americans are unemployed and broke right now. Hardly the time for a trip to Europe.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Well honestly we (I) don’t know, it would be nice to get those figures so we can gauge the potential risk.
    However one or two asymptomatic carriers could cause a lot of seeding so why take the risk?
    There’s not a lot we can do about the uk but at least we could do something about the Americans.

we dont know because we are drip fed information (not much at that) to keep everyone in fear.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    And are those planes full of a "constant flow" of American tourists? Do you have the figures for this? Pretty sure they are practically empty. They cant cancel those routes because they'll lose them, so they keep them going as long as they can for operational reasons. But I really doubt there are the usual level of tourists given that its a pandemic and travel is advised against by the US gov and also, loads of Americans are unemployed and broke right now. Hardly the time for a trip to Europe.

ok, so you think theres 200 empty planes landing in Ireland today. cool.

i live in Swords. do you? i have seen the amount of people in the area with suitcases over the last 2 weeks

If anything it puts the government here in a more difficult position, we know they don't want travel but now there's essentially a green light to enter the island via Belfast and no questions asked which makes measures in Dublin redundant for any country on the NI green list.

Many will leave and return via Dublin which makes it even more bizarre.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

i live in Swords. do you? i have seen the amount of people in the area with suitcases over the last 2 weeks
    Do you know if they're American though as I thought that's what we're referring to in particular.

ixoy wrote: »
    Do you know if they're American though as I thought that's what we're referring to in particular.

my point was theres about 200 planes landing today, so we are open for business, while at the same time being told not to travel, which is bullsh1t from the Govt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was in Terryglass Sunday and could hear plenty of American accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

One has to consider the way pandemic is transpiring in US, some US tourists will not give much thought before traveling for their vacations. The entitlement transcends borders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There has been no evidence whatsoever of a vast influx of American tourists coming into the country apart from some unverified anecdotal crap that was reported to a radio station which was probably just looking to invoke a reaction.

My sister and her partner just went for a weekend in Clare and spent a lot of time around Doolin, including having dinner twice. They did not hear one American accent. If there's no Americans around here I can nearly guarantee there is none in any of the usual other hotspots.

America is still under a *Do Not Travel" advisory and despite what you see in the news every day the vast majority of Americans are sensible, responsible citizens and are terrified at the current situation. The influx simply is not and will not happen.

Renjit wrote: »
    One has to consider the way pandemic is transpiring in US, some US tourists will not give much thought before traveling for their vacations. The entitlement transcends borders.

No. The minority of people who dont give a **** aren't traveling to Europe. And yes, they are a minority despite what you might think. Yeah they'll travel all around the US, but in general the people who can afford to travel to Europe are a bit more sensible.

Also there is a do not travel advisory in place. Believe or not, people take notice of these things, even "dumb americans"

thelad95 wrote: »
    America is still under a *Do Not Travel" advisory and despite what you see in the news every day the vast majority of Americans are sensible, responsible citizens and are terrified at the current situation. The influx simply is not and will not happen.

There were enough wise responsible citizens to elect Trump :)

my point was theres about 200 planes landing today, so we are open for business, while at the same time being told not to travel, which is bullsh1t from the Govt
    We've always been open for business, currently at under 10K a day in and out. Imported cases now in other countries are very small.

ok, so you think theres 200 empty planes landing in Ireland today. cool.

I thought you were specifically talking about americans? There aren't tons of American tourists going to ireland right now so you can calm down

I was in Terryglass Sunday and could hear plenty of American accents.
    I hear that on the streets amongst the tweens!

I thought you were specifically talking about americans? There aren't tons of American tourists going to ireland right now so you can calm down

case closed so, the planes are empty. phew.

case closed so, the planes are empty. phew.

well can you prove otherwise? Do you have the travel stats? Did you interview all the people with suitcases that youve seen to ascertain their origin? No you haven't so..

Hardly any Americans are traveling to europe right now. 5 flights is a lot less than usual. If anything its repatriations coming back to ireland or other european countries transiting through. You cant stop those, sorry.

Also there is a do not travel advisory in place. Believe or not, people take notice of these things, even "dumb americans"

The cases and lawlessness there say otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm scared to leave my county let alone the country

This is not normal

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I agree that's a fair point but, from a risk point of view, it's where any passengers are coming from that we need to be concerned with. Broadly, those coming from the other EU-green countries, are little more risk than any Irish person travelling. Spain, Italy, etc are no longer hot beds and there's plenty of German people for example going to holiday in Italy, Spain and I'm not aware of any viral spikes. Whereas, if they were going to Brazil, there'd be far more room for concern.

The cases and lawlessness there say otherwise.

sorry dont watch YouTube links but no doubt all that select group, out of the hundreds of millions of Americans are on flights to Ireland right now. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I like Dr Ronan Glynn
    He is repeatedly telling people we are going to have to live with the virus.
    He definitely has a less fear approach to the situation but he will have his work cut out trying to convince people to live with the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Absolutely, if I was an American I’d love to come to Ireland with low levels of infection. Just like how I’d love to holiday in New Zealand this year because it’s extremely safe, but don’t wanna do the mandatory quarantine even if they were letting visitors in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ZX7R wrote: »
    I like Dr Ronan Glynn
    He is repeatedly telling people we are going to have to live with the virus.
    He definitely has a less fear approach to the situation but he will have his work cut out trying to convince people to live with the virus.

He's right. The submariners on this thread don't like that sort of realistic talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Their nationality is irrelevant if there’s any risk of them not self isolating properly. It’s *anyone* coming from an area of high and poorly managed infection that we need to be ensuring are entering Ireland as little as possible and only very safely if they have to come here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

maebee wrote: »
    . Spain will still be there next year.

Do you reckon? The virus isn’t going away. Next year and the year after it will be the same shyte on this forum finger wagging about people thinking of travelling abroad.

I hope the people who are preaching about travelling abroad think twice about travelling around Ireland too because the virus is still in the country to spread.

Absolutely, if I was an American I’d love to come to Ireland with low levels of infection. Just like how I’d love to holiday in New Zealand this year because it’s extremely safe, but don’t wanna do the mandatory quarantine even if they were letting visitors in.

yeah but that's out of reach or even desire for the average American. Sure it wasn't that many threads ago that people were lambasting Americans for not having passports or traveling outside the US. Now they are flying in en masse to spread illness in ireland apparently.

Except they arent. Its ok, you can relax for a bit on that front. Or you can stress about house parties/ family gatherings/ Beach trips/ meals out/ pubs/ schools/ hair cuts/ supermarkets/takeaways/going outside. Thats what people do now isnt it? Up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

RTÉ really on campaign of worry again

Doctor on now warning about return to April levels within 4 weeks

Also sounding warning about pubs reopening in next phase

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »

It’s not an unreasonable worry given that we got to April’s levels in about 4 weeks and we were taking some degree of precaution in March.

While some things have changed, many haven’t & we are a mixed bag when it comes to what we are doing about social distancing and so on. Some taking it seriously. Many seem to have given up.

I was in a cafe in suburban cork yesterday and there was no evidence of any pandemic other than one, rather annoyingly hung, small plexiglass shield over the till, with people chatting away leaning around it on both sides..

Of the 23 cases yesterday 9 are related to 1 new cluster. Dr Glynn has said this cluster "is not from a pub gathering".

He's also restated that the small rise was not unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Its beyond ridiculous the nonsense they are peddling. It's incredibly easy to instill fear it's quite difficult to reverse.
    People are far more aware now the steps and manner they need to act to lessen their exposure. The anecdotal nonsense I see online of all 'social distancing is out the window' is just that nonsense and idiots with nothing better to do than to wind up others.
    There is a small cohort that are irresponsible, but they were like this before the crisis and will still behave in that manner after this has passed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Also sounding warning about pubs reopening in next phase

I fuvcking hate scientists. Thanks for raising. I much prefer to get my epidemiological news from a sheep farmer.

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

When are some people going to cop on and stop coughing into their hands? They might as well go to the toilet and wipe their sh1tty ass with their hands for all good it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Of the 23 cases yesterday 9 are related to 1 new cluster. Dr Glynn has said this cluster "is not from a pub gathering".

He's also restated that the small rise was not unexpected.

An increase has been flagged for weeks as restrictions are lifted, either people weren't listening or choose not to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Its beyond ridiculous the nonsense they are peddling. It's incredibly easy to instill fear it's quite difficult to reverse.
    People are far more aware now the steps and manner they need to act to lessen their exposure. The anecdotal nonsense I see online of all 'social distancing is out the window' is just that nonsense and idiots with nothing better to do than to wind up others.
    There is a small cohort that are irresponsible, but they were like this before the crisis and will still behave in that manner after this has passed .

Just wait and see them start stirring **** when a vaccine is rolled out. We'll get anecdotal stories of their third cousins girlfriends nephew who took the vaccine and sprouted a pair of bollocks on his chin. There is a small cohort of people who just love calamity.

That’s not my observation of it at all. The social distancing in a lot of places has “gone out the window” and I’m hearing colleagues saying things like “ah sure we never really had any of it in Ireland anyway.”

Just to give you that cafe example:

1. Very little evidence of social distancing by customers or staff. Tables were a bit spread out but that was all.

2. No hand sanitiser on way in.

3. Shared pour-your-own milk jugs being picked up and handled by hundreds of people.

4. Not a mask in sight anywhere.

5. Basically no shielding of any type behind the counter and staff all walking right on top of each other and around each other making sandwiches and coffee without a care in the world it seems.

DR Scally I believe, who's been on weekly about basically having things shutdown until 0 cases on the Island. He wants full eradication

Dr Lambert on now, speaks a huge amount of sense

It’s not an unreasonable worry given that we got to April’s levels in about 4 weeks and we were taking some degree of precaution in March.

While some things have changed, many haven’t & we are a mixed bag when it comes to what we are doing about social distancing and so on.

It's unnecessary worry at this stage given the low case numbers and very good numbers in hospital/ICU

When things open up cases are bound to pick up a bit

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement