Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

What quarantine is this? There is no quarantine and that is not Government Policy.

Plus - I think my key question is in respect to employees who will be put in a difficult position if advice changes when they are away.

I thought advice was and still is don't travel abroad this year unless absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What percentage of those infected and hospitalised have experienced what you have said above?
    We are all aware the virus makes no distinction between age but it is fact it has devastating consequences for the elderly in comparison for the young.

RTFN! Its all over the bloody news if you bother to look that there are no definitive numbers as this is still early days. It take months even years for lungs to heal but doctors are seeings a trend. It could be as high as 1 in 5 of those that needed intensive care treatment.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247086-the-coronavirus-is-leaving-some-people-with-permanent-lung-damage/

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53065340

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I thought advice was and still is don't travel abroad this year unless absolutely necessary.

It is from NPHET. But it seems Ryanair, aerlingus and the aviation industry actually run the country.
    When do the New government Actually start work by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Another interesting development in Spain, this time in the Basque Country, where the local government has banned 200 people who have tested positive for Covid in the last fortnight or who are awaiting results from voting in Sunday's election - of course, even when citing public health grounds, the reaction could cause a significant swing in party support:

https://twitter.com/el_pais/status/1281546014407766018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

spookwoman wrote: »
    RTFN! Its all over the bloody news if you bother to look that there are no definitive numbers as this is still early days. It take months even years for lungs to heal but doctors are seeings a trend. It could be as high as 1 in 5 of those that needed intensive care treatment.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247086-the-coronavirus-is-leaving-some-people-with-permanent-lung-damage/

So you quote two articles.
    The first article says some patients could be left......
    The second says may be left......
    You do realise these are basically guesses,right?
    Anyone that was on a ventilator is going to have lung damage that's actually a consequence of such invasive treatment.
    I described some posting hysteria on this thread , thank you for giving validation to my comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The point of a 'green list' is that people will be able to travel to them and return without being required to self quarantine for two weeks. Non essential travel is still advised against though.

Travel from a non 'green list' country and a person would require to self quarantine for two weeks.

The distinction between 'green list' and 'non greenlist' countries regarding the requirement to self quarantine might be significant if a person needed to travel for urgent personal or work reasons.
    I don't think people are "required" to quarantine from anywhere, are they? They are requested to, but not forced, if I understand correctly?

The difference between greenlist and other is effectively not having to fill in a form and not receiving a phonecall, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This is part of the interview with DR Scally that was on RTE earlier. After the North have moved in line with the UK position on no quarantine to a list of around 50 countries he basically wants Martin and Donnelly to reach out to NI to implement a quarantine and get the island to 0 cases.

Dr Lambert is much more realistic in his approach.

We're now the complete outlier in this area of the world in terms of restrictions which are now redundant by having a back door through Belfast and you'll not have broken any laws or guidelines.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0710/1152516-coronavirus-travel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

You realise unless you lockdown permanently or until an effective vaccine is found no country can eradicate the virus. We either live with it and manage the consequences or accept we will be heading back to the stone age.

Going back to the Stone Age. And you accuse others of fearmongering. The hypocrisy is astounding.

This is part of the interview with DR Scally that was on RTE earlier. After the North have moved in line with the Uk position on quarantine he basically wants Martin and Donnelly to reach out to NI to implement a quarantine and get the island to 0 cases.

In relation to Dr Scally, i as a lay person should not feel justified in labelling him an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ficheall wrote: »
    I don't think people are "required" to quarantine from anywhere, are they? They are requested to, but not forced, if I understand correctly?

The difference between greenlist and other is effectively not having to fill in a form and not receiving a phonecall, no?

Remains to be seen if you'd still need to fill in the form in the event of contact tracing being needed but then again airlines have your details.
    But no you wouldn't get any phone calls or be advised to isolate if coming from a greenlist country and your correct in saying nobody is currently required to quarantine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I was just listening to the radio and someone (and I didn’t catch her name but the way she was being interview sounded like a politician) said that the advice on no travel stands and that was always the intention that the “green” countries list was still supposed to be essential travel only. I don’t think anyone understood that to be the point of the green list?? It’s pointless then

Lisa Chambers I think

Well done on taking the meaning you wanted from my comment.
    Has Dyson installed the vaccination machines you mentioned in Witherspoon's yet?
    You can accuse me of hypocrisy, as I can accuse you of posting outlandish BS. Best we both leave it there.
    I stand over what I said about your excellent comment yesterday, hard to believe your comments today are from the same poster. Was you account hacked?

You must be confusing me with someone else. Dyson?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Jackman25 wrote: »
    How many?
    As many as 87% of covid patients are still experiencing various symptoms 60+ days after the first signs of illness.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/covid-19-causes-far-more-symptoms-than-first-suspected-2260587

Here are irish articles featuring Ciara Kelly (taking a well earned holiday from bashing childcare professionals this week, although I attribute her behaviour to the brain fog she's apparently experiencing)

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/opinion/comment/my-family-had-virus-antibody-test-with-surprising-results-39321802.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/covid-19-post-coronavirus-syndrome-is-absolutely-a-real-thing-1.4286521

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Jackman25 wrote: »
    How many?

At the moment stats look like 1 in 8 get long term sequelae but they dont know if damage is permanent or will heal over years.

Theres a few published papers in lancet on sequelae but estimates on numbers affected and ratios wont really be known for a couple of years. This is best guess estimate on current numbers

yawhat? wrote: »
    You must be confusing me with someone else. Dyson?

Actually my apologies I did , response deleted. Feel free to reread my comment that you picked only one part of to base your accusation on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is this not the exact same as any other viral pneumonia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

is_that_so wrote: »
    A quarantine cannot be enforced, we don't have the laws for it. It also looks very bad. I linked to a story yesterday about Melbourne and how the conversation about COVID-19 had taken quite a nasty turn. It's also happening in NZ. You're veering that way. I believe that travel has accounted for 5 cases over the last week, the rest is all home-grown.

You believe wrong. Only yesterday, 15 out of our 23 cases for that day were travel related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Northern Ireland has allowed travel inwards from several European countries including Italy with no quarantine required. It's made a nonsense of the bs being peddled by our elected dithereers. Although I suspect the travel advisory here is more to help save the tourist sector rather than public health.

Well that's a ridiculous suggestion .

I don't know why anyone would think that people who have cancelled foreign family holidays to the tune of few thousand would then be in a position to travel and spend in Ireland !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And there are people also becoming very ill, with permanent organ damage who don't have underlying health problems. This virus doesn't care if you are young and healthy.

What percentage of young and healthy people who become infected, get permanent organ damage as a result?

So basically society be damned! Old people be damned! Pay for my pint with billions spent on combating a second wave?

Great! Well done there.

Wow, some reversal of opinion there from Caveat...could it be irony?

• Advertisement

Actually my apologies I did , response deleted. Feel free to reread my comment that you picked only one part of to base your accusation on.

You made an either / or statement. The or was we are heading back to the Stone Age.

I don’t believe there is any scenario where we are heading back to the stone age. That’s fearmongering and hysterical. Both of which you have accused others of doing. Hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Lisa Chambers I think
    I heard her, the usual politician stuff , more money for this, more money for that ...'stimulus packages' blah blah blah.
    NOT once have I heard a RTE presenter ask - 'where is all this money coming from?'
    When Pearse Doherty is interviewed on RTE he is asked sarcastically - 'where is all this money going to come from? A magic money tree?' :D

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Well that's a ridiculous suggestion .

I don't know why anyone would think that people who have cancelled foreign family holidays to the tune of few thousand would then be in a position to travel and spend in Ireland !

You're right its a ridiculous suggestion, at no time was government telling people not to book foreign travel or Eamon Ryan make a stupid comment about people booking holidays even back in 2019 or Jan/Feb this year and failte Ireland didn't start a staycation campaign.
    Ridiculous indeed.

cnocbui wrote: »
    What percentage of young and healthy people who become infected, get permanent organ damage as a result?

How do you expect anyone to answer that?
    Cases are just being found now , and it will be a while more before those numbers are confirmed .
    As a regular contributor here you know that has been discussed before and is legit .
    Lung scarring , renal damage, among other issues, but prevalence will not be something that will have any real data until longitudinal studies are done.

yawhat? wrote: »
    You made an either / or statement. The or was we are heading back to the Stone Age.

I don’t believe there is any scenario where we are heading back to the stone age. That’s fearmongering and hysterical. Both of which you have accused others of doing. Hypocrisy.

Actually I have repeatedly said we need to live alongside the virus and minimise the dangers as much as possible. The stone age analogy was the alternative to recognising reality particularly when some posters here have suggested bears got it right by living in caves. It's usually a good idea if you look at a few posts from a poster before you wade in with accusations.
    I have no problem calling out scaremongering or hysteria when I see it. Feel free to call it what you want. I prefer pragmatism tbh.

cnocbui wrote: »

Perhaps you could tell us cnocbui?

I know they have found lesions in children they didnt even know were sick.
    On their lungs, kidneys and hearts.. but it was only a small sample.

Maybe you have better medical guideance that could put our minds at rest?
    Link to the papers here for us please?

Thanks.

Actually I have repeatedly said we need to live alongside the virus and minimise the dangers as much as possible. The stone age analogy was the alternative to recognising reality particularly when some posters here have suggested bears got it right by living in caves. It's usually a good idea if you look at a few posts from a poster before you wade in with accusations.
    I have no problem calling out scaremongering or hysteria when I see it. Feel free to call it what you want. I prefer pragmatism tbh.

Your killing me.. :-) like you did with your clap back to this poster?

Oh wait.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Your killing me.. :-) like you did with your clap back to this poster?

Oh wait.

No idea what you are saying, clarification prehaps?

• Advertisement

Northern Ireland:

0 deaths for the 7th day running
    4 additional cases
    0 cases in ICU for 14th day running

You're right its a ridiculous suggestion, at no time was government telling people not to book foreign travel or Eamon Ryan make a stupid comment about people booking holidays even back in 2019 or Jan/Feb this year and failte Ireland didn't start a staycation campaign.
    Ridiculous indeed.

Oh no . The ridiculous part is your suggestion that the government are somehow using the no foreign travel suggestion to get people to staycation .
    Borders Failte that's their job to encourage people to holiday in Ireland, and Eamon Ryan doesn't want people flying as an environmentalist, nothing new there .

You and whomever just fly out on your holidays , nobody is stopping you ,but stop with the bloody conspiracy theories.
    Anybody else who is worried about it will stay home but may have no money left to pay for a staycation.

Oh no . The ridiculous part is your suggestion that the government are somehow using the no foreign travel suggestion to get people to staycation .
    Borders Failte that's their job to encourage people to holiday in Ireland, and Eamon Ryan doesn't want people flying as an environmentalist, nothing new there .

You and whomever just fly out on your holidays , nobody is stopping you ,but stop with the bloody conspiracy theories.
    Anybody else who is worried about it will stay home but may have no money left to pay for a staycation.

What's with the aggressive tone? Is there really a need for it?

Not at all ,you think that disagreement is aggressive?

I've surprised we haven't heard of mass outbreaks in mainland Europe such as Greece/France both containing large refugee camps.

Wow pot kettle there.

• Advertisement

Not at all ,you think that disagreement is aggressive?

I think your tone is very aggressive as is the language used and I'm somewhat amused at the necessity for it. Disagreement is good life would be boring otherwise. It's a discussion forum nothing is achieved by being aggressive with others only the use of the ignore function.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Wow pot kettle there.

Here was me thinking you kept your word and put me on ignore. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Northern Ireland:

0 deaths for the 7th day running
    4 additional cases
    0 cases in ICU for 14th day running

NI is the example to us now. It is acheiveable. It also shows that the virus is not prevalent on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is part of the interview with DR Scally that was on RTE earlier. After the North have moved in line with the UK position on no quarantine to a list of around 50 countries he basically wants Martin and Donnelly to reach out to NI to implement a quarantine and get the island to 0 cases.

We're now the complete outlier in this area of the world in terms of restrictions which are now redundant by having a back door through Belfast and you'll not have broken any laws or guidelines.

Gabriel Scally, another supposed expert talking ****e.

As NI has now opened up to travel and is implementing its green list, he is calling for an all island approach to get to zero cases on the island of Ireland, which involves "taking hard decisions about quarantine of travellers".

"We shouldn't be having individual personal travellers coming into Ireland without them being quarantined and I mean properly quarantined and that means making use of hotels and other facilities around airports that are not being full used."

It beggars belief that someone being touted as an expert is being asked for comments as if these types of suggestions are genuinely practical and even necessary. The fast-becoming irrelevant nature of these experts is not sitting well with them and the total collapse in the scale of the covid problem in Ireland also doesn't sit well with them or the media. The government really needs to step up and take control of this situation which is already out of hand.

Gabriel Scally, another supposed expert talking ****e.

As NI has now opened up to travel and is implementing its green list, he is calling for an all island approach to get to zero cases on the island of Ireland, which involves "taking hard decisions about quarantine of travellers".

"We shouldn't be having individual personal travellers coming into Ireland without them being quarantined and I mean properly quarantined and that means making use of hotels and other facilities around airports that are not being full used."

It beggars belief that someone being touted as an expert is being asked for comments as if these types of suggestions are genuinely practical and even necessary. The fast-becoming irrelevant nature of these experts is not sitting well with them and the total collapse in the scale of the covid problem in Ireland also doesn't sit well with them or the media. The government really needs to step up and take control of this situation which is already out of hand.

Varadkar and Ryan have already dismissed Scallys suggestion of quarantine out of hand.
    Wasn't Scally one of the signatories of the infamous 1000 scientists / academics letter?

• Advertisement

The world is racking up 220,000 detected cases a day at the moment. By the end of the weekend we'll most definitely have >13m cases worldwide. It took just 48h to get from 12m to 12.5m.

It's important to remember that this does not accurately represent all of the cases in the world, due to asymptomatic carriers and the limited amount of tests that can be carried out globally.

The world is racking up 220,000 detected cases a day at the moment. By the end of the weekend we'll most definitely have >13m cases worldwide. It took just 48h to get from 12m to 12.5m.

It's important to remember that this does not accurately represent all of the cases in the world, due to asymptomatic carriers and the limited amount of tests that can be carried out globally.

The world isn't certain regions are, the distinction is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Scotland still requires people travelling from Spain to quarantine - unlike England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Nicola Sturgeon also said people arriving from 39 UK green-rated and certain amber-rated countries will not have to isolate for 14 days.

Spain and Serbia will not be included due to the high prevalence of Covid-19 in those countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-scotland-53339446/travellers-from-spain-to-quarantine-in-scotland-says-nicola-sturgeon

The world isn't certain regions are, the distinction is important.
    Not to be drawn in to an argument, but do you not live on earth or something? Also airports exist.

Are you going to attack any information posted here about the global situation?

A third GAA club in West Cork has now suspended activity.
    Argideen Rangers first, then Ballinascarthy and now St. Oliver Plunketts have stood down.

Not to be drawn in to an argument, but do you not live on earth or something? Also airports exist.

Are you going to attack any information posted here about the global situation?

It's not an argument, many regions of the planet have the virus very much under control or close to under control . Several don't America/ Brazil the two obvious. The death tolll has also fallen from April's peak, however M Ryan of WHO has said it may rise again as there is a lag between infection and deaths. However the word 'may ' not 'will' was used. So a little hope prehaps.
    Do you not want discussion, do you feel your contributions are above comment?

No, you're absolutely right and I shouldn't have said anything. Apologies for describing the global situation in the main boards.ie covid thread. I will refrain from doing so going forward.

No, you're absolutely right and I shouldn't have said anything. Apologies for describing the global situation in the main boards.ie covid thread. I will refrain from doing so going forward.

Actually this thread refers to Ireland/ NI deaths and cases.
    What you post or where is your business but it's a discussion forum and you may get challenged.

Personally I live in Ireland, so this is the main thread for me and I don't think global news is forbidden, although I'm open to correction on that. Looks like you're on a mission today to ensure thread gets derailed by bickering yet again. That seems to be the main purpose of it these days.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1281580267157815297?s=19

I have to say I'm with Jack Lambert on this one. The one way ticket I booked back in December leaves in five days... I might even go and never come back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

It's not an argument, many regions of the planet have the virus very much under control or close to under control . Several don't America/ Brazil the two obvious.

Ohh yeaa ?

bd92a912-1f6a-4f44-aebc-c13c67c888fb.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement