Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Perhaps you could tell us cnocbui?

I know they have found lesions in children they didnt even know were sick.
    On their lungs, kidneys and hearts.. but it was only a small sample.

Maybe you have better medical guideance that could put our minds at rest?
    Link to the papers here for us please?

Thanks.

No, because I am not the person flying that kite as something so terribly serious we need to stay submerged and running silent for next who knows how many years.

Insinuating something is a serious problem brings with it an onus of proof. Clearly there isn't any. Time to surface, don masks and open the hatch for some much needed fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seems like the contact tracing app is being used already. I’ve had 5 exposure checks since the app launch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Seems like the contact tracing app is being used already. I’ve had 5 exposure checks since the app launch.

What's the exposure checks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Means nothing, just checking online positives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ohh yeaa ?

bd92a912-1f6a-4f44-aebc-c13c67c888fb.png

Cheers for that, sadly the graph confirms what I said about America and Brazil.

Checking to see if I’ve been in contact with a positive key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It's not an argument, many regions of the planet have the virus very much under control or close to under control . Several don't America/ Brazil the two obvious. The death tolll has also fallen from April's peak, however M Ryan of WHO has said it may rise again as there is a lag between infection and deaths. However the word 'may ' not 'will' was used. So a little hope prehaps.
    Do you not want discussion, do you feel your contributions are above comment?

This thread is for commenting on the global covid situation as that has an effect on the situation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Cheers for that, sadly the graph confirms what I said about America and Brazil.

Europe peaked earlier but elsewhere cases are still increasing rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A third GAA club in West Cork has now suspended activity.
    Argideen Rangers first, then Ballinascarthy and now St. Oliver Plunketts have stood down.

OMG how many did test positive from the party?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I know someone who works in the ar park of cliffs of moher.

Happy they are working but not happy the amount of Americans carrying on with their visit the old country plan.

Place is full of them.

As a citizen I know people need to make a living.but this is wrong.

What the fvck is the point of adhering to any regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You believe wrong. Only yesterday, 15 out of our 23 cases for that day were travel related.
    Directly or indirectly was what he said. Part of that is a family cluster, which is really more community than travel related now. TBH it is part of the don't travel message.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that?

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/8f1f2-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-9-july/

"15 of today’s confirmed cases are directly or indirectly related to travel. NPHET today reiterates that all non-essential travel overseas should be avoided."

Lyle wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/8f1f2-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-thursday-9-july/

"15 of today’s confirmed cases are directly or indirectly related to travel. NPHET today reiterates that all non-essential travel overseas should be avoided."
    Cheers. As I said above pushing the no travel line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

You believe wrong. Only yesterday, 15 out of our 23 cases for that day were travel related.

And the number of cases reflect what we did 5 - 14 days ago.

Just as the results of what we do (or more importantly... don't do) today will not be obvious for about one to two weeks.

People react to the numbers as if the virus had a 6 hour incubation period...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, because I am not the person flying that kite as something so terribly serious we need to stay submerged and running silent for next who knows how many years.

Insinuating something is a serious problem brings with it an onus of proof. Clearly there isn't any. Time to surface, don masks and open the hatch for some much needed fresh air.

??
    There is LOTS of proof its a serious problem, have a quick visit to the Lancet site. Umpteen papers published there showing the severity of it.

Insinuating something isnt a serious problem brings with it the same onus of proof. Clearly you haven't any.

Believe me, I wish you had, I wish we knew more, I wish we could shrug it off as a cold.

It may have weakened there seems to be a less severe version at the moment and they don't know if it's viral load is easing due to lockdowns or if the bug itself has mutated into a milder form.

I really want life to return to normal, but not at ANY cost.

The way I see it, it's just a waiting game, science will catch up.
    We just have to protect as many lives as we can until it does, restrictions are not forever, just for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Happy they are working but not happy the amount of Americans carrying on with their visit the old country plan.

Place is full of them.

Another poster said that there was an American on the Pat Kenny show on the radio saying it's all a hoax. It's these kinds of people we should be cautious about.

But good old Ireland, the only place that will take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GAA training suspended near Nenagh awaiting tests and no I'm not saying which club let the Journalists do what there paid to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Place is full of them.

I well and truly believe it. I'm from a country village that was always popular with tourists especially the American tourists and I see a lot of tour buses now.

I also see a lot of campervans passing and also parked and sometimes they are massive and the size of a double decker bus. I don't know if that would be Americans or the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And 9 of the 23 are related to the one cluster

• Advertisement

And 9 of the 23 are related to the one cluster

I wish Glynn had been able to give more data on that one because he said that cluster was also linked to travel and domestic cases. It sounded like people coming in from abroad, be they Irish nationals or foreign nationals, and then went and hung out with their buddies here. It potentially a textbook example of why the bullsh*t form filling on arrival here isn't doing anything.

I wish Glynn had been able to give more data on that one because he said that cluster was also linked to travel and domestic cases. It sounded like people coming in from abroad, be they Irish nationals or foreign nationals, and then went and hung out with their buddies here. It potentially a textbook example of why the bullsh*t form filling on arrival here isn't doing anything.

Yeah there was little information, all he would say was that it wasn't linked to any pubs or restaurants

Yeah there was little information, all he would say was that it wasn't linked to any pubs or restaurants

Given the age profile of the cases, gaff party written all over it... Really dispiriting stuff for those of us who's jobs are seriously on the line in the coming weeks, especially considering its not looking like the PUP is going to be extended beyond the 10th of August.

We are back to very small numbers and they have tended not to give out very many details on privacy grounds in such situations. They are using the data to get two messages across, don't travel and you young 'uns cop on to yourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Directly or indirectly was what he said. Part of that is a family cluster, which is really more community than travel related now. TBH it is part of the don't travel message.

15 cases that could’ve been avoided if the person coming from abroad abided by the advised 14 day self isolation. 15 cases caused by one person travelling.

Once we see county data today we’ll know where it is. I’m thinking Cork based on news reports and word around here.

15 cases that could’ve been avoided if the person coming from abroad abided by the advised 14 day self isolation. 15 cases caused by one person travelling.
    There is a cluster, which is a family grouping - think it's about that number. Such clusters are easier to address than it being scattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

LIVE : The World Health Organization Holds a Briefing on the Pandemic Latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

There is a cluster, which is a family grouping - think it's about that number. Such clusters are easier to address than it being scattered.

Doesn’t excuse that fact that those 15 cases could’ve easily been avoided if the advice was followed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

A 'mild' case, didn't need hospitalization, Author Patricia Lockwood is 38...

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n14/patricia-lockwood/diary

The first wave subsided, and I thought I’d escaped, but the second hit with redoubled intensity a week later. My delusions became even more bizarre. I came to believe that someone ‘had put a Godzilla statue outside my window on purpose to freak me out’ – this, it transpired, was the silhouette of two black streetlights, one superimposed on the other. I spent two weeks adding 143 words to my novel, about peeing next to Rob Roy’s grave, feeling further from coherence with every draft. Local news graphics of the virion floated through the air, along with glimpses of originating animals: overlapping scales and flickering tongues, wings like black maple leaves. All this happened, it should be said, with a fever that never went higher than 100°F.

I have never been a straightforward reader, preferring to linger inside the cupboards of those paragraphs that describe Aunt March’s turquoise rings. Yet all of a sudden I wanted to read a book from cover to cover and be able to say what it was about. What is this about, I thought, what are books about? I read crazily, as if I were a train and the last page was Anna Karenina. I broke down crying one afternoon over Mani, knowing that if I were to take a test on the book after I finished, my page would read simply, ‘He ... went ... to ... Greece?’ (And to be honest, even the Greece part I’m not sure about.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any Borat comment :p

Kazakhstan, greatest country in the world All other countries are run by little girls :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

individual responsibility hasn't worked back to public health measures

We're worried about house parties... christ almighty they've been going on throughout this and only now are we very worried about them
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1281615263637606401?s=09

We're worried about house parties... christ almighty they've been going on throughout this and only now are we very worried about them
    I've spoken to the man a few times through GAA and other stuff because we're local and he's always been a bluffer. Some things never change. Embarrassing us in Cork ffs.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    ??
    There is LOTS of proof its a serious problem, have a quick visit to the Lancet site. Umpteen papers published there showing the severity of it.

Insinuating something isnt a serious problem brings with it the same onus of proof. Clearly you haven't any.

Believe me, I wish you had, I wish we knew more, I wish we could shrug it off as a cold.

It may have weakened there seems to be a less severe version at the moment and they don't know if it's viral load is easing due to lockdowns or if the bug itself has mutated into a milder form.

I really want life to return to normal, but not at ANY cost.

The way I see it, it's just a waiting game, science will catch up.
    We just have to protect as many lives as we can until it does, restrictions are not forever, just for now.

So no links then to support the assertion it's a significant problem. As I thought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You say it yourself there. Travel is not the issue. Non-compliance with the 14 day quarantine is the issue. You can say all you like about it being non enforcable etc., but people who travel are asked to do it officially, they should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Florida reported more than 11,000 cases and 93 deaths today, a new record from ~8,000, but not a single county has reported their numbers yet. These 11,000 are marked "Unassigned" and are likely historical, but still nuts to consider that they're going ahead with opening Disney in Orlando tomorrow.

Doesn’t excuse that fact that those 15 cases could’ve easily been avoided if the advice was followed
    I'm not excusing this situation any more than assuming we'll eradicate the virus. What will be crucial is the management and isolation of outbreaks.

Florida reported more than 11,000 cases and 93 today, a new record from ~8,000, but not a single county has reported their numbers. These 11,000 are marked "Unassigned" and are likely historical, but still nuts to consider that they're going ahead with opening Disney in Orlando tomorrow.

Officials there have been fired for reveling the true figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

But not worried about pubs. ..hmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Another poster said that there was an American on the Pat Kenny show on the radio saying it's all a hoax. It's these kinds of people we should be cautious about.

But good old Ireland, the only place that will take them.
    How did those people arriving in Dublin from Florida and Texas interviewed this morning travel from the airport to their alleged "14 day quarantine" destinations is my biggest question.

This is the segment in question. The Texan guy is especially... honest... As the interviewer says, it's not like the rest are going to reveal that they're breaking the law on national radio.

Florida at 11433 cases and 93 deaths at noon their time today.

I've spoken to the man a few times through GAA and other stuff because we're local and he's always been a bluffer. Some things never change. Embarrassing us in Cork ffs.

Couldn't make it up, shouts and roars in opposition and then hides when he gets the top job

But not worried about pubs. ..hmmm.

Once they're following guidelines I wouldn't see why they would be. Safer than a house party really

What I'm guessing has to have happened for that big 9-person cluster is a coming-home party for whoever is the positive case. The brain cells are clearly lacking there like surely that's the last thing you should do.

Masks are compulsory on public transport from Monday. Regulations being signed this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Law been passed today, wearing of masks will be a legal requirement on public transportation from Monday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Masks are compulsory on public transport from Monday. Regulations being signed this evening.
    They have been for two weeks now. Any word on what the penalty for non-compliance will be, or how it will be enforced?

Having seen all bus drivers and scarcely any passengers wearing masks coming towards the end of June, yesterday driving around Cork I saw five bus drivers with none and two with them. About half the passengers had them on, several in buses with 20+ passengers.

s1ippy wrote: »
    They have been for two weeks now. Any word on what the penalty for non-compliance will be, or how it will be enforced?

Having seen all bus drivers and scarcely any passengers wearing masks coming towards the end of June, yesterday driving around Cork I saw five bus drivers with none and two with them. About half the passengers had them on, several in buses with 20+ passengers.
    They were recommended. Compulsory means it's in law and has to be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Florida reported more than 11,000 cases and 93 deaths today, a new record from ~8,000, but not a single county has reported their numbers yet. These 11,000 are marked "Unassigned" and are likely historical, but still nuts to consider that they're going ahead with opening Disney in Orlando tomorrow.

they always report them that way on worldometer as a block figure also apparently tests are taking a week to come back, so these are possibly a week old and without any controls likely to be 15k plus a day next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

s1ippy wrote: »

And, as well, will they be provided by the public transport operators and is there a timeline on how long this law is to be in effect?

EDIT: And to add, in terms of enforcement, what if someone just pulled their tshirt or top up over their mouth as they were getting on and said this was their face covering - what is a "mask" for the purpose of this law. I wonder what the text of this legislation actually says.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement