Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

They were recommended. Compulsory means it's in law and has to be enforced.

For the bus drivers too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Once they're following guidelines I wouldn't see why they would be. Safer than a house party really

Tbh once alcohol is involved I don't think much thought is given to restrictions. On the whole I think its just pandering to a cohort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    For the bus drivers too?
    They'll have to now if it's in law

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They were recommended. Compulsory means it's in law and has to be enforced.

Enforcement will be the issue now. Unions saying their members won't do it as its not in the job description.

They'll have to now if it's in law

No they won't, drivers are in a separate area so don't have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Masks are compulsory on public transport from Monday. Regulations being signed this evening.

I thought this was compulsory a few weeks back

Tbh once alcohol is involved I don't think much thought is given to restrictions. On the whole I think its just pandering to a cohort.

yeah in terms of safer I mean like your at your table in a pub no walking around and the details are there for contact tracing. Same can't be said for house parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Enforcement will be the issue now. Unions saying their members won't do it as its not in the job description.

What, what?

Bus drivers are getting unions involved over masks? And, at last count, 5 bus drivers have died in London alone?

Between this and the airports this country is entering the Comedy level of Covid

We started weak, then adjusted pretty well, and now it's going to shíte again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What, what?

Bus drivers are getting unions involved over masks? And, at last count, 5 bus drivers have died in London alone?

Between this and the airports this country is entering the Comedy level of Covid :pac:

Again? Remind me when it went "****e" in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

yeah in terms of safer I mean like your at your table in a pub no walking around and the details are there for contact tracing. Same can't be said for house parties

Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with you, that’s dependent on pubs following guidance. Based on the two threads on here, it’s clear that some are not.

Some of the 26 who landed in the sh1te last weekend did so because of lack of Social Distancing measures or not having contact tracing info.

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with you, that’s dependent on pubs following guidance. Based on the two threads on here, it’s clear that some are not.

Some of the 26 who landed in the sh1te last weekend did so because of lack of Social Distancing measures or not having contact tracing info.

Yeah I agree, 26 out of a couple thousand. Safe to say they won't be at it again because having worked in a pub I know if you piss off the gardai they'll be there most days now. Any of those 26 would have had visits daily since last weekend without a doubt.
    Not to mention probably surprise HSE and HSA inspections, basically they'll have been all over them

Again? Remind me when it went "****e" in the first place?

• We reacted slowly, not as slow as the UK, but still should've been faster
    • We gave up all trump cards we held as an island
    • We let hundreds die in nursing homes when they should've been identified as an easy target for Covid

For starters

What, what?

Between this and the airports this country is entering the Comedy level of Covid :pac:

unions said before in the last week or two that drivers wouldn't be the ones enforcing the regulations.

Not sure what the reference that its gone to ****e again is about

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No they won't, drivers are in a separate area so don't have to.

Doesn't the screen around the driver have holes?

I don't see any reason why bus drivers shouldn't enforce masks tbh. It's their job to uphold health and safety on the bus. If the bus isn't safe then nobody should be on it.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Doesn't the screen around the driver have holes?

On any DB I've been on they've been covered in. Staff were exempt when it was mentioned 2 weeks ago

unions said before in the last week or two that drivers wouldn't be the ones enforcing the regulations.

Unions over complicating things as always and justifying their existence and pay cheques

It's a simple "can you stick your mask on bud" to alighting customers. That's all they're been asked to do :confused:

I've been on buses that have stopped and won't move any further till the person upstairs puts out their cigarette. I've seen drivers go upstairs to people who still haven't put it out

But they won't help out with masks?

Union logic = zero fcuking logic

I'm away out for what looks like a little sun outside. I've only been online 5 mins catching up on today's Irish Covid updates and I already want to scream :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I don't see any reason why bus drivers shouldn't enforce masks tbh. It's their job to uphold health and safety on the bus. If the bus isn't safe then nobody should be on it.

Exactly. They enforce the law (well mostly) if somebody is smoking on the bus so why not the same with masks? If it is now mandatory to wear a mask and somebody refuses then the driver just stops the bus and doesnt move until the person gets off. Same if somebody tries to get on the bus without a mask. Dont let them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Unions over complicating things as always and justifying their existence and pay cheques

It's a simple "can you stick your mask on bud" to alighting customers. That's all they're been asked to do :confused:

I've been on buses that have stopped and won't move any further till the person upstairs puts out their cigarette. I've seen drivers go upstairs to people who still haven't put it out

But they won't help out with masks?

Union logic = zero fcuking logic

Yet the same unions complaining about the safety of drivers

Mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

• We reacted slowly, not as slow as the UK, but still should've been faster
    • We gave up all trump cards we held as an island
    • We let hundreds die in nursing homes when they should've been identified as an easy target for Covid

For starters

Those that died in nursing homes was not because the public weren't wearing masks or social distancing. It was due to an incompetent NPHET who the government are still listening to.

When we locked down, the virus got suppressed in the community quite rapidly and the health service did not get overrun. That is arguably not a ****e situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Florida reported more than 11,000 cases and 93 deaths today, a new record from ~8,000, but not a single county has reported their numbers yet. These 11,000 are marked "Unassigned" and are likely historical, but still nuts to consider that they're going ahead with opening Disney in Orlando tomorrow.

Sure we might aw well invite them all in. It might be great craic to kill off the rest of them that survived in nursing homes.

We were told to help the nursing homes the virus should be as low as possible in the community. I don't understand why we still have travel into the country without quarantine.

Over 1k cases registered at meat plants and no unannounced inspections. Seems to be look to blame everyone but don't look at government departments to start with.

Latest testing data

Tests conducted last 24 hours 9329

Positive test results last 24 hours 21

Much better today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Brazil President in on Trumps Crazy Pills

'' this'll cure what ales me''

merlin_174352689_312f675f-f37a-4506-bbdb-fdf1a3de7203-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Florida reported more than 11,000 cases and 93 deaths today, a new record from ~8,000, but not a single county has reported their numbers yet. These 11,000 are marked "Unassigned" and are likely historical, but still nuts to consider that they're going ahead with opening Disney in Orlando tomorrow.

America has gone with the herd immunity strategy, in reality if not declared. It will cost several hundred thousand lives. Given the damage a continued shutdown would do they had no choice.

I'd prefer that they all wear masks, social distancing etc but no one there really gives a **** on either side.

A continual shutdown was not an option for America, the damage to the world economy would have 20 years to recover and the death toll from the effects of that would run in to tens of millions.

Better there than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Over 1k cases registered at meat plants and no unannounced inspections. Seems to be look to blame everyone but don't look at government departments to start with.

The meat industry decides not the Dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

On any DB I've been on they've been covered in. Staff were exempt when it was mentioned 2 weeks ago
    Will the capacity still be the same?

Latest testing data

Tests conducted last 24 hours 9329

Positive test results last 24 hours 21

Much better today.

21 postive tests out of 9300, roughly 0.2% if I'm correct there

is_that_so wrote: »
    Will the capacity still be the same?

supposedly yes due to social distancing which makes little sense on DB with every window seat available and sure your sat right infront or behind people

Danzy wrote: »
    The meat industry decides not the Dept.

inspections are by HSA and HSE, government departments. Any inspections they notified in advance

• Advertisement

supposedly yes due to social distancing which makes little sense on DB with every window seat available and sure your sat right infront or behind people
    It also makes you wonder if that plan to go 50% capacity is real or not.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It also makes you wonder if that plan to go 50% capacity is real or not.

Its been at 50% since the start of phase 3 due to social distancing but like I say not sure what difference it makes when someone is sitting in front and behind on the bus. Not even a metre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭PopTarts

1 Death

25 New Cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Duplicate..

21 positive tests but 25 new cases? uhhhhh okay HPSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

They have renotified 4 cases

Probably some backdated cases you would imagine.

Actual data shows 21 postive tests so theres a notification of some cases that aren't from the last 24hrs

Its been at 50% since the start of phase 3 due to social distancing but like I say not sure what difference it makes when someone is sitting in front and behind on the bus. Not even a metre
    I see. It's the appearance of doing things that matters and presenting half a semblance of normality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Could the testing data on the dashboard be newer? Remember when they added to the backlog one Friday and they said they were swabs from mon/tue? Or have you noticed it following a pattern from dashboard to announcement on same day. (I know the figures are usually smaller at announcements due to tests vs new cases)

Is that high new cases again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Not a great week, definite signs of an increase in transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I've been looking at this for the past week or two. It seems like there is a one day lag between the tests result and the number of cases. Just my guess based on looking at the data for the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

From looking at the county figures, no new cases in cork, 9 in Dublin. Haven’t compared the rest.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Not a great week, definite signs of an increase in transmission

As was expected, its continually been flagged that cases would rise as we reopened. Time to get used to seeing cases at this level.

Only now will we be seeing the impact of the later stages of phase 2 and anything from phase 3.

But house parties seem to be the trend now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I think they reported 27 yesterday and 21 today, while new cases were 23 and 25.

Sounds a timing issue.

Analysis of cases as of midnight Wednesday 8th July - 25,564 cases (+21)

Healthcare Workers +3
    Clusters +12
    Cases associated with clusters +31

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +1
    5-14 +2
    15-24 +14
    25-34 +3
    35-44 +1
    45-54 No Change
    55-64 No Change
    65-74 No Change
    75-84 No Change
    85+ No Change

Cases by County
    Donegal +1
    Dublin +9
    Galway -1
    Kildare +3
    Limerick +1
    Mayo +1
    Sligo +1
    Waterford +5
    Wicklow +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Listened to the Pat Kenny report where they interviewed people arriving from Florida and Texas. Most pretended to be self-isolating, but of course out of 16 passengers on the flight, there was one Texan who said the thing is overblown. Welcome to Ireland, hope you enjoy touring the country!

From looking at the county figures, no new cases in cork, 9 in Dublin. Haven’t compared the rest.

I thought with GAA clubs party fiasco Cork would have cases

Big increases in Waterford and Dublin yesterday.

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »
    I think they reported 27 yesterday and 21 today, while new cases were 23 and 25.

Sounds a timing issue.

reanalysis probably then of swabs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement