Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephenjmcd View Post
    Perfectly suited for here. Yup it lags about 2 days behind but yeah there does be a number given on cases per county. Comes out of HPSC data.

Citizen erased usually puts it up most evenings, he's on the ball when it comes to the stats
    How do I locate this person / site

Thanks

Jay
    hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Transport unions on RTE saying they're members will not enforce masks

yet weren't Dublin bus drivers saying a good few weeks ago they wish passengers would wear masks ? Why the change in tone now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    yet weren't Dublin bus drivers saying a good few weeks ago they wish passengers would wear masks ? Why the change in tone now ?

Yup they've said they welcome it but won't be policing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are like farmers, never happy!

RTE bigging up the second wave massively tonight.

On that note I'm off out to the pub for some normaility.
    Might see if theres any house parties on, may as well fit in with the narrative being portrayed of my age grouping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,368 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yup they've said they welcome it but won't be policing it

Well a train driver can't be standing stopping passengers getting on a train in fairness. But a bus driver has the ability to police it given you can't get on a bus wihout passing a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    But Dr fauci and several others have said we can expect one by late this year-early next year. Some of the language she uses 'plague of the ancient times ' is utterly stupid as well.

I'd say she might have better contacts than Fauci, or at least as good, wouldn't you?
    On 9 July 2020 the World Health Organisation (WHO) appointed Clark as co-chair of a panel reviewing the WHO's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and the response of governments to the outbreak. The panel will examine how the outbreak occurred and how future pandemics can be prevented.

Check her Wiki page, I find it hard to see in what way she has demonstrated a capacity for stupidity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Clark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Might see if theres any house parties on, may as well fit in with the narrative being portrayed of my age grouping

I'm in desperate need of a pub. Hopefully Sunday lunch with some drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,484 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rte have been having nightly Orgasms at the prospect

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'm in desperate need of a pub. Hopefully Sunday lunch with some drinks.

Enjoy it, I'll be having a lovely pizza, one of the best I've had anywhere and a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Ah sure us young wans all we do is drink and fornicate and spread the virus. Even though the only people I've seen not sanitizing their hands going into shops and coughing into their hands on the bus are old folks. But I guess rte don't want to piss off the last demographic that gives a **** about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Spain. Wednesday 383 new cases. Thursday 543, today Friday 852.

There are worrying signs in countries we have people traveling to.

Thats some positivity there.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'd say she might have better contacts than Fauci, or at least as good, wouldn't you?

Check her Wiki page, I find it hard to see in what way she has demonstrated a capacity for stupidity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Clark

I mean her choice of words was stupid although I probably spoke too harshly. It is dramatic though.

But she has completely ignored the Oxford vaccine who have been consistent in their updates all through late spring and summer. Also Pfizer have had a breakthrough and could get approved by regulators in late 2020.

I don't think it's 2 and a half years away minimum going by what literally everyone else has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Renjit wrote: »
    Thats some positivity there.

What exactly do you want, lies? I'm in great form...

Some think because you're posting anything that isn't happy, clappy you must be depressed or negative! I've only recently joined the forum but there's some acting like children who need a reassuring hug, or someone to read them a bedtime story.

There's both positives and negatives with this virus. If you bothered to read anymore of my recent posts you'll see the positives re. countries doing well.

Here's your special figures.. USA 60,000 cases Wednesday, 60,000 cases Thursday, 5,000 today. Figures courtesy of Donald Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Transport unions on RTE saying they're members will not enforce masks

Well is it not to protect drivers and staff also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What, what?

Bus drivers are getting unions involved over masks? And, at last count, 5 bus drivers have died in London alone?

Between this and the airports this country is entering the Comedy level of Covid

We started weak, then adjusted pretty well, and now it's going to shíte again

But it’s not in a bus drivers job description so why should they have to deal with it.
    The only way it can work is if someone tries to get on the driver can say no. If the person still tries to get on call the guards and stop the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Is anyone really surprised that RTE seem to pushing the second wave narrative?

This is the same RTE that thinks having a weekly misery section on the Late Late constitutes prime Friday night television, with the rest of the show padded out with the usual canteen roulette.

They only love to cover the odd funeral as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think your tone is very aggressive as is the language used and I'm somewhat amused at the necessity for it. Disagreement is good life would be boring otherwise. It's a discussion forum nothing is achieved by being aggressive with others only the use of the ignore function.

Where was my tone aggressive to you ?
    You seem to want people to leave the forum as far as I can see because you don't like disagreement or discussion .
    I disagree with you, if you can't accept that , leave it/ ignore it , but don't accuse people of being aggressive when they are not .

What exactly do you want, lies? I'm in great form...

Some think because you're posting anything that isn't happy, clappy you must be depressed or negative! I've only recently joined the forum but there's some acting like children who need a reassuring hug, or someone to read them a bedtime story.

There's both positives and negatives with this virus. If you bothered to read anymore of my recent posts you'll see the positives re. countries doing well.

Here's your special figures.. USA 60,000 cases Wednesday, 60,000 cases Thursday, 5,000 today. Figures courtesy of Donald Trump.

You get used to the positivity brigade on here. Just ignore them when they give out about your posts but make sure you keep posting the facts.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You seem to want people to leave the forum as far as I can see because you don't like disagreement or discussion .
    I disagree with you, if you can't accept that , leave it/ ignore it , but don't accuse people of being aggressive when they are not .

The poster you are replying to should take a leaf out of his own book tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

tom1ie wrote: »
    You get used to the positivity brigade on here. Just ignore them when they give out about your posts but make sure you keep posting the facts.

Good advice, i’d hope positive facts were something you’d like seeing posted too, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Just not facts without 'context' ;)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Good advice, i’d hope positive facts were something you’d like seeing posted too, right?

Of course. As I’ve said before I’m a middle of the road man who likes to see both sides of an argument. Facts is what’s needed on this thread which is why I find it strange The positivity posse can have such a reaction to them.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Just not facts without 'context' ;)

Ha! Careful now. You’ll cause a row!
    The context is what one makes of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This is the same RTE that thinks having a weekly misery section on the Late Late constitutes prime Friday night television, with the rest of the show padded out with the usual canteen roulette.

I always said they should have a black ribbon as their TV logo. Horrible channel! full of repeats and about 50 different chat shows with the same in house guests. A TV license for that sh1te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The seven day average is at 17 cases a day now compared to 9 a day at the end of June. Phase 3 has brought an increase but how much when you consider testing has ramped up in recent weeks.

That's simple enough Maths and we can see if there's a trend here

17 cases now versus 9 then is nearly double

So if we're doing double the amount of tests we were back at the end of June then it more of less balances out. I know there's other variables at play but broadly speaking that should make sense

Anyone got the data of testing back at the end of June and is it more or less half the amount we're testing now?

nocoverart wrote: »
    I always said they should have a black ribbon as their TV logo. Horrible channel! full of repeats and about 50 different chat shows with the same in house guests. A TV license for that sh1te!

I pay the TV license but haven't consumed anything from RTE in a decade, due to them picking a flag in the digital coding stream that prevents my TV from decoding their signals. Probably that is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Well a train driver can't be standing stopping passengers getting on a train in fairness. But a bus driver has the ability to police it given you can't get on a bus wihout passing a driver.

Should have people in train and DART stations enforcing it then but probably don't have enough staff

They could send George Lee over to cheer up the mourners.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

road_high wrote: »
    Rte have been having nightly Orgasms at the prospect

If Caitriona needs to get them from elsewhere to stop the panic I will volunteer my services. For the good of the country, like, I'll wear the green jersey. I'll do it for all of ye here lads. No worries. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

On that note I'm off out to the pub for some normality.

I always pictured you as in your early 40s, working in a Medical profession and wearing designer glasses

Enjoy the pints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fm wrote: »
    Wednesday was 257,Thursday was 241 and today 333,
    Cases are increasing yes, surging is a bit dramatic.

But still increasing and lockdown back in some parts for Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Eod100 wrote: »
    Should have people in train and DART stations enforcing it then but probably don't have enough staff

That said a bus driver who enforced it in France died after being assaulted. Shocking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/philippe-monguillot-french-bus-driver-dies-following-attack-passengers-refused-wear-masks?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594406679

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Of course. As I’ve said before I’m a middle of the road man who likes to see both sides of an argument. Facts is what’s needed on this thread which is why I find it strange The positivity posse can have such a reaction to them.

Can you name who these people are rather than referring to this mystery cult

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭alentejo

I think we need a good hard lock down now. Open everything back on the 1st of Sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

alentejo wrote: »
    I think we need a good hard lock down now. Open everything back on the 1st of Sept

Surprised NPHET haven't looked for you to join them the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Goldengirl wrote: »

Few posters on here that joined a few months back seem to just stir the sh*t. Probably count them on 1 hand and its the same every day they contribute nothing except you are wrong etc, show me where, what numbers, blah blah blah.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I mean her choice of words was stupid although I probably spoke too harshly. It is dramatic though.

But she has completely ignored the Oxford vaccine who have been consistent in their updates all through late spring and summer. Also Pfizer have had a breakthrough and could get approved by regulators in late 2020.

I don't think it's 2 and a half years away minimum going by what literally everyone else has said.

If you believe anything said about such things as treatments or vaccines where a US corporation has involvement or potential financial interest that comes out of the US, then I think you are naive. It's all about the share price money. US pharmaceutical companies will unethically leak positive seeming data from ongoing drug trials to boost their share price, with regularity, long before there has been a valid conclusion to the trials or overall assessment, Remdesivir being a case in point.
    Gilead Sciences’ remdesivir has been heralded as our best hope in fighting the coronavirus pandemic. Unfortunately, the antiviral drug doesn’t seem of much help to patients with Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. And while the company’s clever rollout has generated excitement among investors, politicians, and the public, a combination of generic drugs that appears to be more effective in fighting the coronavirus has flown under the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

fm wrote: »
    Spain. Wednesday 383 new cases. Thursday 543, today Friday 852.

There are worrying signs in countries we have people traveling to.

They include antibodies testing, only 333 cases reported yoday

I doubt that crucial piece of information will be in the Irish media narrative, they will simply state there has been a "surge" in Spain

Europe has largely opened up, it would be expected that cases will rise. the alternative was keeping locked down forever which could not happen.

I as much as the next person would love if it were possible for us or any European country to lock down a la New Zealand and really eradicate this thing. The problem is al you have to take is one look at an atlas to realise that that cannot be done. Cautious re-opening where by people are vigilant and measures are enshrined in law (Such as the wearing of masks or the way in which pubs are allowed operate) is the way forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I doubt that crucial piece of information will be in the Irish media narrative, they will simply state there has been a "surge" in Spain

Europe has largely opened up, it would be expected that cases will rise. the alternative was keeping locked down forever which could not happen.

I as much as the next person would love if it were possible for us or any European country to lock down a la New Zealand and really eradicate this thing. The problem is al you have to take is one look at an atlas to realise that that cannot be done. Cautious re-opening where by people are vigilant and measures are enshrined in law (Such as the wearing of masks or the way in which pubs are allowed operate) is the way forward.

Sensible post.

Eod100 wrote: »

That was probably as much about them avoiding paying the fare.
    Philippe Monguillo Attacked By a Gang of Fare-dodgers in Bayonne
    July 7, 2020

The French bus driver was named 58-year-old Philippe Monguillot after an attack by passengers who refused to wear face masks – said his wife ‘lives in the nightmare’.

Mr. Monguillot, a father of three, drifted from the driver’s seat and was brutally beaten by the gang of mouse-smugglers while trying to enforce the rules of coronavirus on the bus in Bayonne.

The five-gang gang, identified by prosecutors as ‘more or less’ drug users, faces criminal charges, but has not yet been released to the public.

58-year-old Philippe Monguillot faced passengers who did not comply with a rule that requires face masks in public transport while boarding without tickets until 19:00. On Sunday...

Ms. Monguillot said the gang of five was known to her husband and had a discussion about unpaid wages earlier in the day.
    https://wikitrusted.com/philippe-monguillo-attacked-by-a-gang/

Latest testing data

Tests conducted last 24 hours 9329

Positive test results last 24 hours 21

Much better today.

There must be a lot of other doses going round if that many are getting tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

spookwoman wrote: »
    Few posters on here that joined a few months back seem to just stir the sh*t. Probably count them on 1 hand and its the same every day they contribute nothing except you are wrong etc, show me where, what numbers, blah blah blah.

Your comment contributes what exactly?

Can you name who these people are rather than referring to this mystery cult

I wouldn’t worry, maybe not in 2020 but the “ positivity posse” will get the last say in the end ;-)

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's simple enough Maths and we can see if there's a trend here

17 cases now versus 9 then is nearly double

So if we're doing double the amount of tests we were back at the end of June then it more of less balances out. I know there's other variables at play but broadly speaking that should make sense

Anyone got the data of testing back at the end of June and is it more or less half the amount we're testing now?

So before the testing of nursing homes etc kicked off again, on June 26th so 2 weeks ago we took roughly 3,000 swabs that day, on the 26th we had 3 deaths and 11 cases.

In the last 24hrs,
    Tests conducted last 24 hours = 9329
    Positive test results last 24 hours = 21

An additional 10 cases for an over an additional 6,000 tests. We've increased testing and finding roughly an additional 10 cases per day from when we were doing a third of the tests we are now.

More you test more you find, can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

high numbers of tests is a very good thing, even if the rates of positives is tiny. If that keeps up, any clusters will be quickly identified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Zonda999 wrote: »

Even when you take out the antibody figures there is a substantial rise. 241 cases yesterday to 333 today, almost a third increase.

It's only over a few days to a week but a trend nonetheless, like Portugal. Good figures from Germany.

There's no denying there are notable rises in many countries. Of course they will happen as society opens up. But they need to be watched and travel to and from areas with rising cases dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Sensible post.

I would dispute your assertion that it is a sensible post. All it is, is nonsensical absolutes.

For example the ridiculous assertion that we can't do what New Zealand are doing is obvious because they are further away from everywhere else is patent nonsense, of course we could easily do it if we had the political will to do it, we just don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Cases are going to rise. People need to understand this. Of course they are going to rise when restrictions are lifted and things open back up. We just need to hope that what they rise to is a low enough number and it stays hovering around that. Similar to how a lot of places in Europe have been for many weeks now.

If we start seeing big jumps week to week. Then maybe it's time to start worrying and looking at where they are coming from. And getting tougher with more targeted measures. But for now, it's pointless panicking for something that that was expected. The hospitals are virtually empty of Covid. And if more young people are getting it now, they may not require hospitalization as much as the older demographic back when it first started. Also just need a majority of people having a bit of cop on and doing their best to keep themselves and others safe.

One thing that needs to happen though is stopping tourists coming here on flights from countries where it's rampant. The wife has family over here from Flagstaff which is in a state full of Covid. Her cousin, the husband, 2 kids and 3 adults from their extended family. The wife showed me one of their Facebook things and she has anto mask videos up. And of course they're down in Glendaloch today having arrived on Wednesday and Guinness store house tomorrow. No self isolating at all. Can't be having that ****e. If the risk of someone catching it in their own country is much higher than here. Then they shouldn't be here now.

Any healthcare worker gets regularly tested. I was talking to a maintenance man that works in a nursing home, also a nursing home worker, they now have to be tested every week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement