Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

I’d love a holiday. Got a no hassle refund for my cancelled May holiday. Put all that money into the garden and it’s pissed rain ever since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Are you going to answer the question I asked you previously instead of engaging in whataboutery tactics?

There's no whataboutery, young people will do the same thing in Cork as they would anywhere else.

alwald wrote: »
    This is by far the most stupid comment I read in a week. Such a selfish behaviour. A second wave is inevitable because of your likes and this attitude.

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I'm sure people won't self report either even if they do contract it. We can all go "it must be a second wave, nothing we could do about it."

There is little incentive to report if you will be put out of work in isolation. And since we know most of the cases are asymptomatic or mild.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Believe it or not we live in a free democracy.....

It's just one year of a person's life, that's really not too much to ask.

Why is there not a ban on Americans coming over. It's an absolute joke of a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

lol.

Keep lolling but stating that you will travel regardless of the advice in place in August is utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Keep lolling but stating that you will travel regardless of the advice in place in August is utterly stupid.

Let him travel, it's not Ebola.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Why is there not a ban on Americans coming over. It's an absolute joke of a country.

There literally is a european wide ban....

European travel will be allowed by the middle of July????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

There's no whataboutery, young people will do the same thing in Cork as they would anywhere else.

I`ll try again. Do you or do you not agree that the reason many of a certain younger age group (I won`t use the word brigade as you appear to have an issue with that term) go on foreign sun holidays is to "go on the lash and look for a ride" as you described it in a previous post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Are you denying that many (I`m not claiming all) of the younger brigade go on sun holidays to do precisely that? If you do deny it you are naïve.

Them young ones off going abroad drinking alcohol and fornicating it's a disgrace Joe I tell you.

I`ll try again. Do you or do you not agree that the reason many of a certain younger age group (I won`t use the word brigade as you appear to have an issue with that term) go on foreign sun holidays is to "go on the lash and look for a ride" as you described it in a previous post?

Thats a ridiculous statement. Completely irrelevant to the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I won’t be going on a plane this year. When i do next year it’s to see family and not for the sun, even though better weather helps.

It’s good to see that you won’t travel around Ireland if you’re also going to condemn european travel. It’s Less hypocritical because as you said we ain’t getting a zero.

Yeah look. I've no axe to grind. I'd love to go to the pub. I'd love to go to a restaurant. I'd love to go on two week holiday. I'd love to go travelling around Ireland even with a rain jacket.

Those industries need the money and jobs. I do sympathise with them that a once in a hundred year event has decimated lives in those sectors. It's on par with Fukushima, Chernobyl or a war. Those Iraqi barbers probably had a very tough deal in life. Most people didn't give a **** though as it didn't affect them. This crisis is affecting everyone but some more than others.

I just can honestly say I'd be happy with myself if I infected anybody. I'd probably be grand if I got but wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing what I know about the pandemic. I can't claim ignorance. I also know Ryanair couldn't give a fvck about the welfare of their passengers as their entire existence has revolved around shoving more passengers in smaller spaces with less things as standard. They make you pay for everything and turn the plane around in 20 mins. Separate families with children to get an extra fiver. Don't refund people etc. They used to enable cheap travel but they captured and concerned large parts of Europe market. Through agressive expansion and putting competitors out of business. This is all legal but unethical in my view.

Travelling for family etc is different story. This article kinda sums up my thinking.
    I can drive anywhere in Europe if I need to. Way more difficult but probably safer.

Before you book, think

While there is no way to make air travel 100% safe, there are ways to make it safer. It’s important to think through the particulars for each trip.

One approach to your decision-making is to use what occupational health experts call the hierarchy of controls. This approach does two things. It focuses on strategies to control exposures close to the source. Second, it minimizes how much you have to rely on individual human behavior to control exposure. It’s important to remember you may be infectious and everyone around you may also be infectious.

The best way to control exposure is to eliminate the hazard. Since we cannot eliminate the new coronavirus, ask yourself if you can eliminate the trip. Think extra hard if you are older or have preexisting conditions, or if you are going to visit someone in that position.

If you are healthy and those you visit are healthy, think about ways to substitute the hazard. Is it possible to drive? This would allow you to have more control over minimizing your exposures, particularly if the distance is less than a day of travel.

https://twitter.com/sjpetherbridge/status/1278277586955710464?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I don't know why the government is indecisive and having arguments about so called air bridges.

There are countries like Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Germany etc we can open to with little threat. We can't stay shut off forever.

Not making clear decisions is doing unneeded damage.
    That is most decidedly not where the flights to Dublin are coming from. Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Newcastle, London.

Keep lolling.
    Thanks, will do. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Believe it or not we live in a free democracy.....

Some people here seem to really resent that fact. There's a lot of stalinist Walter Mitty's hanging around here.

It’s been a while

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29803efabe90bca0095d82d097acf19c3ffe0ad75c&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://news.ki.se/immunity-to-covid-19-is-probably-higher-than-tests-have-shown

More research coming out about T cell immunity , levels of immunity in Sweden may be as high as 30% rather than the much lower figure found in antibody studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://news.ki.se/immunity-to-covid-19-is-probably-higher-than-tests-have-shown

More research coming out about T cell immunity , levels of immunity in Sweden may be as high as 30% rather than the much lower figure found in antibody studies.

Would mean IFR of covid is around 0.2% rather than the roughly 1% that earlier antibody testing results had predicted, though anecdontally it seems hard to believe it could be that low.

There also meet up here to do exactly what I said. Several of the natives in Cork got upset recently because the younger ones were doing just that. However if they wish to do so in sunnier climes they can't be stopped. Probably best to suggest they stay safe instead of wagging the finger would you not agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It's just one year of a person's life,.

It’s not though. According to most on here we’ll be having at least 100 waves and the virus is never going to go. So next year will run into another year, another year , another year and so on...... unless we are lucky to get a vaccine but the experts on here claim we won’t. So travelling with precautions will have to happen sooner or later.

There literally is a european wide ban....

A European wide ban on Americans? Except in Ireland.

Actually it's quite alot to ask and frankly people have the right to ignore the request. They only hope one can have is they follow all the hygiene and SD advice.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s not though. According to most on here we’ll be having at least 100 waves and the virus is never going to go. So next year will run into another year, another year , another year and so on...... unless we are lucky to get a vaccine but the experts on here claim we won’t. So travelling with precautions will have to happen sooner or later.

It's about minimising risks. Already one idiot who was meant to self isolating and went off to his parents for dinner.

Pubs open, let's go out with the mates instead of self isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

A part of me is delighted to see normality returning as people fly out on holiday. As someone with an interest in aviation it's great to see more and more flights going after months of seeing just the one airline. However what other description of people can you say but reckless and selfish? Of course it is. It's proof positive that probably 80% of people will always do this, whatever is happening, unless stopped from doing so by law or by airlines not offering the flights. It's also amusing that people need a holiday after months in lockdown and lazing around the house.

A European wide ban on Americans? Except in Ireland.

European ban doesn’t mean flights stop. The world would collapse if flights stopped. Cargo is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Some people here seem to really resent that fact. There's a lot of stalinist Walter Mitty's hanging around here.

Should we do away with all the laws in the name of freedom?

fr336 wrote: »
    A part of me is delighted to see normality returning as people fly out on holiday. As someone with an interest in aviation it's great to see more and more flights going after months of seeing just the one airline. However what other description of people can you say but reckless and selfish? Of course it is. It's proof positive that probably 80% of people will always do this, whatever is happening, unless stopped from doing so by law or by airlines not offering the flights. It's also amusing that people need a holiday after months in lockdown and lazing around the house.

Other than weekends off I have worked continuously since this started as has many thousands of others. I didn't sit at home watching Netflix so I'm very much looking forward to my trip away seeing friends I haven't seen since May last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

s1ippy wrote: »
    That is most decidedly not where the flights to Dublin are coming from. Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Newcastle, London.

There's more "air bridges" than real bridges in Venice. People are thick if you don't think you can travel and bring whatever the fvck you want back with you.
    We are in this for the long haul.

518453.png

• Advertisement

European ban doesn’t mean flights stop. The world would collapse if flights stopped. Cargo is a thing.

Fat Americans aren't classified as cargo. So there's no European ban on Americans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement