Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why bring in about people who thanked the post

Maybe you should reread it - the whole point was the government not doing anything about (American) tourists coming here

My apologies. Reread and see what you said properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Goldengirl wrote: »
    If you read the post you will see I did address the content.

Edit. It would be better if you didn't take any and every comment so personally.

Suggesting I was traumatized is not personal? You need to check your posting style tbh.
    Maybe don't get personal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is an incredible testing regime. Could Ireland learn from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

If you eat meat, you caused covid.

There is this hypocritical bias in favour of eating cows, pigs and sheep in Ireland while we condemn the obscure and exotic animals eaten in China and the practices that are suspected to have lead to covid.

If you eat animals, **** you. **** you in particular those that eat animals and call for continued or more restrictions to combat covid.

Such ****e..

No co-incidence the lab using gain of function methods on coronavirus is 500 metres from the market.
    This was man made and Obama saw it coming and outlawed it, Trump enabled it again..

https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-millions-us-dollars-risky-coronavirus-research-1500741

The National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the organization led by Dr. Fauci, funded scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other institutions for work on gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses.
    In 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work. The program followed another $3.7 million, 5-year project for collecting and studying bat coronaviruses, which ended in 2019, bringing the total to $7.4 million.

Many scientists have criticized gain of function research, which involves manipulating viruses in the lab to explore their potential for infecting humans, because it creates a risk of starting a pandemic from accidental release.

The NIH research consisted of two parts. The first part began in 2014 and involved surveillance of bat coronaviruses, and had a budget of $3.7 million. The program funded Shi Zheng-Li, a virologist at the Wuhan lab, and other researchers to investigate and catalogue bat coronaviruses in the wild. This part of the project was completed in 2019.

A second phase of the project, beginning that year, included additional surveillance work but also gain-of-function research for the purpose of understanding how bat coronaviruses could mutate to attack humans. The project was run by EcoHealth Alliance, a non-profit research group, under the direction of President Peter Daszak, an expert on disease ecology. NIAID canceled the project just this past Friday, April 24th, Politico reported. Daszak did not immediately respond to Newsweek requests for comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Such ****e..

No co-incidence the lab using gain of function methods on coronavirus is 500 metres from the market.
    This was man made and Obama saw it coming and outlawed it, Trump enabled it again..

https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-millions-us-dollars-risky-coronavirus-research-1500741

The National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, the organization led by Dr. Fauci, funded scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology and other institutions for work on gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses.
    n 2019, with the backing of NIAID, the National Institutes of Health committed $3.7 million over six years for research that included some gain-of-function work. The program followed another $3.7 million, 5-year project for collecting and studying bat coronaviruses, which ended in 2019, bringing the total to $7.4 million.

Many scientists have criticized gain of function research, which involves manipulating viruses in the lab to explore their potential for infecting humans, because it creates a risk of starting a pandemic from accidental release.

The NIH research consisted of two parts. The first part began in 2014 and involved surveillance of bat coronaviruses, and had a budget of $3.7 million. The program funded Shi Zheng-Li, a virologist at the Wuhan lab, and other researchers to investigate and catalogue bat coronaviruses in the wild. This part of the project was completed in 2019.

A second phase of the project, beginning that year, included additional surveillance work but also gain-of-function research for the purpose of understanding how bat coronaviruses could mutate to attack humans. The project was run by EcoHealth Alliance, a non-profit research group, under the direction of President Peter Daszak, an expert on disease ecology. NIH canceled the project just this past Friday, April 24th, Politico reported. Daszak did not immediately respond to Newsweek requests for comment.

Your response is to promote the unproven Wuhan lab conspiracy?

I'll buy bull**** protection on this one.

Suggesting I was traumatized is not personal? You need to check your posting style tbh.
    Maybe don't get personal ?

And you are not getting personal?
    Why should you make comments about people's posting styles and think that is not personal ?
    I was replying to your post where you had bad memories about your schooldays threats of detention etc . and compared that to future possible restrictions .
    Just addressing your post and the comments within .
    So sorry it was not to your liking !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It wasn’t a GAA club party it was a party in which two club players attended.

Sorry I am naming it that as a few GAA clubs are suspended due to some members/players await testing which I assume is linked to the party/parties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

If you eat meat, you caused covid.

There is this hypocritical bias in favour of eating cows, pigs and sheep in Ireland while we condemn the obscure and exotic animals eaten in China and the practices that are suspected to have lead to covid.

If you eat animals, **** you. **** you in particular those that eat animals and call for continued or more restrictions to combat covid.

We've got a live one, time to back away slowly from this thread for a while.

Your response is to promote the unproven Wuhan lab conspiracy?

I'll buy bull**** protection on this one.

Believe what you choose to believe. I believe in facts.
    Everything I have quoted and shown you is fact.

Can they PROVE the virus is an escapee from the lab? No.
    Was there genomic sequences that suggested the HIV inserts were not natural? Yes.
    Are there scientists who have examined the virus who say its man made? Yes.
    Have they found patient zero? No.

Its VERY co-incidental though isn't it? There are many papers published from the lab. Its no secret what was being examined there, who funded it and that it was moved offshore as Obama stopped gain of function research in 2014 and Trump enabled it in 2017.
    Gain of function involves forcing a virus to make the jump from animal to human to study HOW it works, and the lab was studying gain-of-function of coronavirus transmission.
    This is all published fact.

My moneys on an escapee from the lab. Pure accident, but bound to happen, its why 200 scientists rallied against gain-of-function research in 2014, the risk of pandemic is too great. Fauci disagreed, saying there was too much to be learnt.
    I guess he was wrong. Oops, his bad, global economic crash and millions dead.

But, you want to believe it was from someone eating meat?
    Fine, you choose what you want to believe...

But facts are facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Gotta remember USA has a population about 75% the size of the entire EU. I'm sure the EU collectively is doing as many or more tests per capita as the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The headlines earlier this week about UK pubs closing after the reopening was nnot because of the crowds that appeared all ove the place around the UK. Staff and family members of staff contracted covid and they were closed as a precaution.

So closing down a pub is a good headline but it doesn't mean much without explanation. Watch this space, undoubtedly we will have headlines about pubs being closed once they reopen for supposed failure to adhere to the guidance.

You do understand if there's a positive case in a pub then all staff would have to isolate for 2 weeks. That means the bar can't reopen. You really think house parties will adhere to that?
    Like the tracing app, it's not stopping that initial transmission of the virus, it's breaking the chains further down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It wasn’t a GAA club party it was a party in which two club players attended.

Only 2?

Thats good news

Rumour mill of a lot more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

At the beginning, there were reports that it could also have been an animal which was experimented on and sold by a low-paid worker in the lab like a cleaner.

I'm a bit drunk so searching for the articles about that is beyond me :D

I'm glad this stupid virus still hasn't taken away my weekend revelry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,686 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Testing based on population per day
    America - 0.19% (based on 634k tests)
    Ireland - 0.2% (based on 10k tests)

They aren't doing anything great at all (worse testing percentage than Ireland) except getting ravaged by a virus due to not really caring about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry I am naming it that as a few GAA clubs are suspended due to some members/players await testing which I assume is linked to the party/parties

Yeah it was a group of friends who had a party. They then went on to play matches with their clubs.

s1ippy wrote: »
    At the beginning, there were reports that it could also have been an animal which was experimented on and sold by a low-paid worker in the lab like a cleaner.

I'm a bit drunk so searching for the articles about that is beyond me :D

I'm glad this stupid virus still hasn't taken away my weekend revelry!

Agreed :-) Happy weekend!!

Yeah it was a group of friends who had a party. They then went on to play matches with their clubs.

As suggested by another poster opening the pubs will help in contact tracing. Trying to police house parties is a no win for the authorities at least with the pubs the restrictions and contact details have a chance to stay on top of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As suggested by another poster opening the pubs will help in contact tracing. Trying to police house parties is a no win for the authorities at least with the pubs the restrictions and contact details have a chance to stay on top of things.

Sure they couldn't be policed for the last 3 months, you can't police them either unless the gardai turn up at every house party.

At least having people in a controlled environment (pubs) there's measures in place.

Look nothings perfect but our cases are low, hosptial & ICU is low. I see no reason currently as we stand today to not move onto phase 4.

Sure they couldn't be policed for the last 3 months, you can't police them either unless the gardai turn up at every house party.

At least having people in a controlled environment (pubs) there's measures in place.

Look nothings perfect but our cases are low, hosptial & ICU is low. I see no reason currently as we stand today to not move onto phase 4.

I have two sons in their 20's , people trying to get this age group to put their lives on hold need to cop on. They followed the restrictions in the early months but the shambles being overseen by the government has p*ssed them off and honestly I don't blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I have two sons in their 20's , people trying to get this age group to put their lives on hold need to cop on. They followed the restrictions in the early months but the shambles being overseen by the government has p*ssed them off and honestly I don't blame them.

Sorry what shambles is that?

Try reading back.

All age groups have put their lives on hold, it's not just the young!

The government not having a fecking clue what they are doing

Throughout this with FG I thought they always had control of what was happening, what was gonna be done and how things would proceed etc

With MM - delayed travel advice, threats of pushing out phase 4, all the crap going on in their own party etc - they've only been in power 2 weeks - we're fecked (plus MM bores the arse off me when I hear him talk). They talk the talk and ...well thats all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Pretty interesting article (from New York Times) about the virus.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/monster-or-machine-everything-we-know-about-coronavirus-after-six-months-1.4298414

Some quotes
    Three hours after the virus’s code was published Inovio Pharmaceuticals, based in San Diego, in California, began work on a vaccine against it – one of more than 145 such efforts now under way around the world.
    The first known patient was hospitalised in Wuhan on December 16th, 2019, and first felt ill on December 1st; the first infection would have occurred still earlier. Sometime before that the virus, or its progenitor, was in a bat – the genome is 96 per cent similar to a bat virus. How long ago it made that jump, and acquired the mutations necessary to do so, is unclear. In any case, and contrary to certain conspiracy theories, Sars-CoV-2 was not engineered in a laboratory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This puts Ireland's case numbers into perspective but also reinforces that non-essential travel from US needs to be prevented.

https://twitter.com/jeffsparshott/status/1280402695564808192

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    All age groups have put their lives on hold, it's not just the young!

Social interaction to me is prehaps the most important for development as a person but here is another aspect.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-29/COVID-19-leads-to-dramatic-unemployment-young-people-suffer-the-most-QSUcPNPJ0Q/index.html

fritzelly wrote: »
    The government not having a fecking clue what they are doing

Throughout this with FG I thought they always had control of what was happening, what was gonna be done and how things would proceed etc

With MM - delayed travel advice, threats of pushing out phase 4, all the crap going on in their own party etc - they've only been in power 2 weeks - we're fecked (plus MM bores the arse off me when I hear him talk). They talk the talk and ...well thats all really

I'll agree with you on FG having a clear... or clearer message. They were certainly more focal about the path forward and seemed to engage more with the public. (I never voted FG before, now I would seriously consider it)
    FF bickering for the first week about minsters and junior ministers, I would normally put down to a new government, but they knew weeks ago. This isn't a week after election results, they should have had a game plan and hit the ground running.

FG done the hard work, locked down, put in place supports (PUP), came up with the reopening stages, built up a testing system (granted a lot of those accomplishments came from the public sector). FF seem to be just swiveling on a chair. I dunno, the path forward seems less clear if I'm honest.

Im actually surprised how casual you are about this, when one of your sons is kidney compromised with a virus that attacks kidneys at large.

Your son would be one of those people with 'underlying conditions' should anything happen if he caught SARSCov2.

I admire both your and his bravery to be honest, if it were my son and he was kidney compromised, I'd be hoarse shouting for the most conservative lockdown for fear he'd get infected.

Social interaction to me is prehaps the most important for development as a person but here is another aspect.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-29/COVID-19-leads-to-dramatic-unemployment-young-people-suffer-the-most-QSUcPNPJ0Q/index.html
    So old people dying, those at risk dying, those with underlying conditions dying, hospitals swamped so those young people can socializing
    God forbid if any have serious accident cannot be treated due to hospitals been over run and are left to die at home.
    But hey yeah, we only ask them to respect social distancing, it's not like they are in solitary confinement. They can still meet up and have a few cans out the back around a BBQ etc.... is that too much to sacrifice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

There is risk in everything.

What is naive is to believe that the low and minimum wage staff will be enforcing social distancing on anyone minded to breach it in a pub situation.

So now you're not granting lower paid workers with any sense of cop on or ability to do their jobs in a responsible fashion is that it?

• Advertisement

There is risk in everything.

What is naive is to believe that the low and minimum wage staff will be enforcing social distancing on anyone minded to breach it in a pub situation.
    So now you're not granting lower paid workers with any sense of cop on or ability to do their jobs in a responsible fashion is that it?

I think the shops and supermarkets have clearly shown how responsible lower paid (nice to be able to say lower and not low) workers have been serving us at the height of the pandemic. To have to be working on the tills and stacking shelves on such a low wage while so many sat at home with their feet up getting €350 a week risk free.... I'm sorry but that's so offensive.

Im actually surprised how casual you are about this, when one of your sons is kidney compromised with a virus that attacks kidneys at large.

Your son would be one of those people with 'underlying conditions' should anything happen if he caught SARSCov2.

I admire both your and his bravery to be honest, if it were my son and he was kidney compromised, I'd be hoarse shouting for the most conservative lockdown for fear he'd get infected.

Casual? Not at all but I'm proud that I have instilled in my son's the knowledge that life is for living. We mitigate risk where we can but dwelling in fear is to be shunned.
    My son is not kidney compromised, his partner was on dialysis and my son gave a gift that money cannot buy.
    He watched his partner not being able to live life to its fullest and decided to allow her do so. He and we have observed all the precautions suggested by the medical professionals .
    I have no time for recklessness but equally I have no time for life destroying caution.
    Lastly I will take some of your comment in the spirit I believe it was made and say thank you. Finally if you have not done so please consider organ donation as either a living donor or to help someone as you pass on.
    I'm registered as a living donor with the IKA and a bone marrow donor.
    Thank you again for your good wishes.

Casual? Not at all but I'm proud that I have instilled in my son's the knowledge that life is for living. We mitigate risk where we can but dwelling in fear is to be shunned.
    My son is not kidney compromised, his partner was on dialysis and my son gave a gift that money cannot buy.
    He watched his partner not being able to live life to its fullest and decided to allow her do so. He and we have observed all the precautions suggested by the medical professionals .
    I have no time for recklessness but equally I have no time for life destroying caution.
    Lastly I will take some of your comment in the spirit I believe it was made and say thank you. Finally if you have not done so please consider organ donation as either a living donor or to help someone as you pass on.
    I'm registered as a living donor with the IKA and a bone marrow donor.
    Thank you again for your good wishes.

Already a donor when i pass on and well done with the positivity. Im not at all sure i would be as brave but i do love the courage and spirit. You must be very proud. Such a great gift to give to someone you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Look I'm in my 20s so is my brother. We went out for a few pints tonight, it was like any other Friday night.

I'm in my later 20s and single, am i supposed to put both social and personal/love life on hold indefinitely. Not a chance, nor will I.

I followed every other restriction, up to last week I'd not seen my grandparents in their 90s for 4 months. Previously this would have been every week.

They told me last week to come over to the house and visit. Why ? Because they've no idea how long they've got left and in the words of my 93 year old grandfather "I've not lived this long to go out with a whimper". The man goes to the shops daily for his paper, he went to the pub for a Guinness last week. That really said alot to me he doesn't want to waste away any time and he said to me live life without fear, take your precautions but you'll never get these years back. He's right too.

Already a donor when i pass in and well done with the positivity. Im not at all sure i would be as brave but i do love the courage and spirit. You must be very proud. Such a great gift to give to somone.

No pride to be honest, I'm in awe of him. I brought him home from the hospital. I saw his pain as he was wheeled to the car, my heart broke. It was even more awe inspiring when I found out he knew before the OP the pain he would suffer but still had no hesitation.
    I have offered myself as a donor, do I have my son's bravery? I hope so if ever called upon.
    Thank you again it's nice to have a non combative too and fro.
    I hope you and yours and navigating the new normal with ease.
    Sometimes I need to be reminded we all have a different risk threshold and it's incredibly unfair to make an assumption.
    If I have caused you offence please accept my apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Went to the pub tonight. As usual it was well managed, had a small bite to eat as did everyone else, and a couple of pints. All well.

I do have to say though, that there was one guy in the corner with 3 mates, and he let out this massive sneeze into his hands. That didn't particularly bother me - nobody can be held responsible for an instinctive reaction. But then, a few seconds later, came the next sneeze - loud and half-heartedly into his hands. Myself and my mate watched wondering to be honest how his friends didn't say WTF man, either go out and blow your nose or at least follow public health advice and sneeze into your elbow. Few seconds later, again, and then again. All powerful sneezes with a half-arsed attempt to cover his nose with his hands.

I'm don't understand how, in the current situation, people would not take basic precautions for themselves and fellow customers. If that guy had covid (and he most likely at this time didn't given low transmission rates), his ignorance would have placed everyone nearby at risk. We need to open things and life needs to get started again so how are people like this not aware of it?

Went to the pub tonight. As usual it was well managed, had a small bite to eat as did everyone else, and a couple of pints. All well.

I do have to say though, that there was one guy in the corner with 3 mates, and he let out this massive sneeze into his hands. That didn't particularly bother me - nobody can be held responsible for an instinctive reaction. But then, a few seconds later, came the next sneeze - loud and half-heartedly into his hands. Myself and my mate watched wondering to be honest how his friends didn't say WTF man, either go out and blow your nose or at least follow public health advice and sneeze into your elbow. Few seconds later, again, and then again. All powerful sneezes with a half-arsed attempt to cover his nose with his hands.

I'm don't understand how, in the current situation, people would not take basic precautions for themselves and fellow customers. If that guy had covid (and he most likely at this time didn't given low transmission rates), his ignorance would have placed everyone nearby at risk. We need to open things and life needs to get started again so how are people like this not aware of it?

The simplest response I can give is @sshole behaviour needs to be called out. I'm very much in the camp we need to co exist with the virus grouping, eradication is a nonsense but we also need to mitigate risk as much as we can.

They told me last week to come over to the house and visit. Why ? Because they've no idea how long they've got left and in the words of my 93 year old grandfather "I've not lived this long to go out with a whimper". The man goes to the shops daily for his paper, he went to the pub for a Guinness last week. That really said alot to me he doesn't want to waste away any time and he said to me live life without fear, take your precautions but you'll never get these years back. He's right too.

And your grandparents are damn right - we stopped it taking hold of the country.
    If we continue doing what we are doing then we will never be as bad as the likes of Italy. We did our thing - too many people have now made the sacrifice that never got to say goodbye

We cannot just put life on hold for ever and ever because...you know...there was like 20 cases today and it's rampant everywhere

We have it under control (gotta stop damn Americans coming in from that virus infested country) - and we will continue to keep it under control
    Irish people are not stupid, bar the odd "minority", in general and know what to do

Look I'm in my 20s so is my brother. We went out for a few pints tonight, it was like any other Friday night.

I'm in my later 20s and single, am i supposed to put both social and personal/love life on hold indefinitely. Not a chance, nor will I.

I followed every other restriction, up to last week I'd not seen my grandparents in their 90s for 4 months. Previously this would have been every week.

You hit 93, every day is a bonus and to be enjoyed. I'm on your grandfather's wavelength but half his age.

So old people dying, those at risk dying, those with underlying conditions dying, hospitals swamped so those young people can socializing
    God forbid if any have serious accident cannot be treated due to hospitals been over run and are left to die at home.
    But hey yeah, we only ask them to respect social distancing, it's not like they are in solitary confinement. They can still meet up and have a few cans out the back around a BBQ etc.... is that too much to sacrifice?

Cool story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Allowing millions of masks manufactured in Limerick to be sent to China and elsewhere and not stopping that when it was clear lives would be lost as a result

Not locking down Care Homes and in fact resisting calls to do so.

Playing down the efficacy of masks and not implementing their use by the public months ago.

Allowing people to travel to Cheltenham and back.

Not locking down the borders when the skiers were coming back, not implementing supervised quarantining of travelers, like returned skiers - remember the school?.

Not removing infected people from their homes and generally not testing enough.

And before all that, tolerating a near 3rd world health system despite first world spending on it.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Allowing millions of masks manufactured in Limerick to be sent to China and elsewhere and not stopping that when it was clear lives would be lost as a result

Playing down the efficacy of masks and not implementing their use by the public months ago.

Not locking down the borders when the skiers were coming back, not implementing supervised quarantining of travelers, like returned skiers - remember the school?.

And before all that, tolerating a near 3rd world health system despite first world spending on it.

A far better response than I could formulate. Your response actually demonstrates the p*ss poor governments we have endured for decades and I don't hold much hope for the present one to break the mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Really great.to see so many tourists out at the cliffs of mother today. I hope they all observed the two week quarantine but I suspect not. Lots of Americans, Britsh, Brazilians.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/2031499/cliffs-of-moher/?hl=el

cnocbui wrote: »

There's plenty to argue and not a single country has done right. Every country are below another in response. But are you seriously suggesting the government should drag people from their homes and imprison them for testing positive? Good luck getting people to submit to a test if that's the case.
    Contact tracing would be worthless then.

Really great.to see so many tourists out at the cliffs of mother today. I hope they all observed the two week quarantine but I suspect not. Lots of Americans, Britsh, Brazilians.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/2031499/cliffs-of-moher/?hl=el

American, British and Brazilians, yet you link to a Greece account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A far better response than I could formulate. Your response actually demonstrates the p*ss poor governments we have endured for decades and I don't hold much hope for the present one to break the mould.

How could a government tolerate patients on trolleys at Limerick regional for over a decade, without expanding capacity or building anew? Identify the need for a childrens hospital in the mid 90's and then take a quarter of a century to do something about it and then stuff it up, not to mention the utterly bizarre and thoroughly inappropriate involvement of religious orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I've spent 20 minutes on instagram and identified 5 people who don't give a **** about rules. They are all doing the tour the island thing.

Here's another. Skydive in Florida 3 weeks ago, 3 days later giants causeway. 1 week after that cliffs of moher etc.

What the fvck are we doing here. Pretending people are going to come on holidays......and actually holiday as opposed to self isolate in a cottage PS I love you style.

We need to get real.
    Just to add a staycation maybe more dangerous than you realise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB5_vWNBQIv/

I agree with you and at least the restrictions are eased now a bit for all concerned.
    But I have to agree with the op that it is difficult for some more than others .
    I too have kids in teens and early twenties , and while they are sticking pretty much to the restrictions , they are finding it harder and one was particularly upset over it recently .
    We never had something in our lives like this ,and the uncertainty of when it is going to end is the worst thing to bear for everyone , but especially the younger age groups imo.
    I think most have been great about it and are pretty resilient, but it is bound to have some ill effect if it goes on too much longer .
    Doesn't mean we can let it all go though we have done so much now to suppress the virus , and unfortunately that message has to be reinforced as much as possible .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a page of people's post. Check the photos and users. They are from everywhere.

Check it out.

This lovely lady was in Miami Florida three days ago #quarantinelife is so lame.

3 days later she's on the cliffs of moher. Air travel is awesome even in a pandemic. So awesome that people are enjoying this lovely island no ****s given

Our "regs" are a load of sh!te and no-one is or will respect them. That's the point though as the tourism industry needs the jobs etc.

While we are not allowed to go on holiday.

I don't consent to any more lockdown issues if this blatant bull**** doesn't stop. What's the point.

https://www.instagram.com/terepc1/

(I'm not saying anything about this specific person although clearly in violation of regulations. I'm posting it to draw attention to the fact that the general behaviour is wrong and is permitted albeit implicitly while we are suppose to put on green jersey etc. )

519511.jpg

First hashtag on that post is tbt - throwback Thursday. Person put up a memory from when travel was ok when they were in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I've spent 20 minutes on instagram and identified 5 people who don't give a **** about rules. They are all doing the tour the island thing.

Maybe you should find another pastime instead of stalking people on instagram or stick to twitter

We all know they are coming here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement