Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That’s not a new thing? Thats a year round issue and unrelated to COVID. It’s a noise court case.

Guess it's more of a concern now though in context of covid19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

That Kerry cluster without a doubt has to have Dublin origin.

Sounds like a family get together by the way its being described
    I could be mixing the dates up, but going by the age bracket increase, does a bunch of students not seem more likely? Covid payment holidays are anecdotally very much a thing.

*student age, anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

I'm glad they began targeted testing again, healthcare workers cases seem to continually remain high.

My mother works in a nursing home. She was informed that from now on they will be tested weekly. Also some of the staff have been trained to do the testing themselves. Should make things more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ineedaname wrote: »
    My mother works in a nursing home. She was informed that from now on they will be tested weekly. Also some of the staff have been trained to do the testing themselves. Should make things more efficient.

yeah weekly was what I'd heard. Started about 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Might be time to put a staycation order on Dublin as in stay in Dublin.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I could be mixing the dates up, but going by the age bracket increase, does a bunch of students not seem more likely? Covid payment holidays are anecdotally very much a thing.

*student age, anyway..

Was first reported as just a large group so that's what I was going off. Now reported as large group of young people.

Either way sounds like they didn't move outside the rented house that much.

Whoever travelled knowing they were positive (if reports are correct) should be locked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think there definitely could be a part of that. The other thing is how are decisions being made.

Is it through the mixed cabinet with FF Taosieach and FG Tanaiste?

At least Varadkar who I'm no fan of had clear mandate and seemed to be assertive. Get sense that Martin is especially affected by public perception so seems decision on 20th July could be motivated by reaction if pubs are delayed opening or if they're opened and there's a spike.

To be honest I think he is just going to sit on his hands for the next 2.5 years , blame Covid for everything, pump money in to keep the populace happy , and then leave the sxxx for Leo to sort out at the end of it .
    He will be retiring age at the end of the term so no problem for him .

Might be time to put a staycation order on Dublin as in stay in Dublin.

I don't think a regional lockdown is required or sustainable tbh.

Especially if people are still flying into Dublin airport while it happens.

Only thing I've heard floated is delaying date wet pubs can reopen and if that's the price to pay so be it. But like others have said it might have unintended consequence of forcing more people to congregate at house parties with no contact details taken or social distancing enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is a disaster. Government having a shocker.

A disaster is a passenger plane being accidentally shot down, killing all aboard. This is a tiny incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

If Dublin isn’t careful they’ll lock it down. The big cluster Dr. Glynn spoke about Thursday was in Dublin, then the drinking last week and protests today. Have to be very careful.

The rest of the country has been locking Dublin down pretty much every day since the pandemic started, so nothing new there.

• Advertisement

Think the think about Dublin is it has almost 33% of Ireland's population and the busiest international airport on the island along with port access. I think it's inevitable it will have more cases both in figures and per capita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

519574.PNG

Without being compared to Trump, is possible to posit that the slightly increased numbers we have seen in the past week have been as a result of greater testing, that is to say, the figures haven't gotten that much worse?

This is different to the US given that we had already "flattened the curve" anyway so the increased tests only highlight better where we are at?

9.2% of the total tests we have carried out in total have been in the past 7 days considering we have been dealing with the pandemic for approximately 19 weeks (134 days since February 29th).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Zonda999 wrote: »
    519574.PNG

Without being compared to Trump, is possible to posit that the slightly increased numbers we have seen in the past week have been as a result of greater testing, that is to say, the figures haven't gotten that much worse?

This is different to the US given that we had already "flattened the curve" anyway so the increased tests only highlight better where we are at?

9.2% of the total tests we have carried out in total have been in the past 7 days considering we have been dealing with the pandemic for approximately 19 weeks (134 days since February 29th).

Considering our positivity rate has not increased like the US’ has you could absolutely argue this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Face masks highly effective against Covid-19, new evidence suggests

Three new studies from Germany, Britain and the United States have indicated face masks are highly effective in stopping the spread of coronavirus from person to person.

The results indicated that wearing a face covering was the most effective measure against the virus, followed by distancing, and avoiding common areas.

The researchers found that if people wear face masks whether they have symptoms or not, it is twice as effective at curbing the spread of the disease than if people wear face coverings only after they begin experiencing symptoms.

The debate should stop... the evidence is in... mandatory face masks in public now, unless you don't give a sh*t if the virus spreads.

The anti-face mask rubbish from 'the powers that be', which has been present from the CMO since day one, should stop before even more damage is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Robert Troy, FF Minister for State for Trade. Unclear who and how it will be enforced but hopefully that law exists people will comply anyway.
    It's more in hope that there will be high compliance based on what we've done to date and that not too many confrontations will ensue. If it's 80%-90% that's a success but minimising any stories making it to the media will also be part of the strategy.

Three new studies from Germany, Britain and the United States have indicated face masks are highly effective in stopping the spread of coronavirus from person to person.

The results indicated that wearing a face covering was the most effective measure against the virus, followed by distancing, and avoiding common areas.

The researchers found that if people wear face masks whether they have symptoms or not, it is twice as effective at curbing the spread of the disease than if people wear face coverings only after they begin experiencing symptoms.

The debate should stop... the evidence is in... mandatory face masks in public now, unless you don't give a sh*t if the virus spreads.

The anti-face mask rubbish from 'the powers that be', which has been present from the CMO since day one, should stop before even more damage is done.

That German thing is over three months old and a purely statistical interpretation. It is a conclusion they reached rather than proof that it was the only thing at work. This post was decent enough until you felt a need to abuse people and claim to be an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's basic common sense ..........but no one will ever convince me that wearing a mask protects the wearer.......it protects the people they come in contact with and that's it

It's like the analogy of me wearing a rubber will stop me from getting pregnant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Shane Beatty irritates me. Serious man for loving negative news!! And portraying it as such
    https://twitter.com/shanebeattynews/status/1281992152474681344?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Zonda999 wrote: »

Without being compared to Trump, is possible to posit that the slightly increased numbers we have seen in the past week have been as a result of greater testing, that is to say, the figures haven't gotten that much worse?.

So far it's working pretty good, loads of tests being done and the positivity rate is very low. And it looks like they are able to find the big "clusters". Couple of weeks ago testing had dropped to very low levels, now it's back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Do you include pubs, cafes and restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Shane Beatty irritates me. Serious man for loving negative news!! And portraying it as such

To be fair ....he is reporting a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am very disappointed with the lack of clear direction from the new Administration. What are they waiting for, they have been aware of the situation since March.

This is not a FF bashing thing, but honestly compared to the previous Admin, there is no comparison WRT clear signals and communication.

I'm no lover of FG either, but have to give them credit for their clear information, and noting the zeitgeist at the time. It worked well. But now? Not so good, mixed messages all over the shop.

So people will go off on a solo run, it's inevitable.

quartz1 wrote: »

In a way that allows him to use a COVID image and much bigger numbers! They do seem to miss the 300 a day in new cases!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Anyone else reporting numbers using a 72 hour time frame?

Another tweetaholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Am very disappointed with the lack of clear direction from the new Administration. What are they waiting for, they have been aware of the situation since March.

This is not a FF bashing thing, but honestly compared to the previous Admin, there is no comparison WRT clear signals and communication.

I'm no lover of FG either, but have to give them credit for their clear information, and noting the zeitgeist at the time. It worked well. But now? Not so good, mixed messages all over the shop.

Where are the mixed messages? The previous Government gave very mixed messages on face masks.

Last government had vague mixed messages over face masks and foreign travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Cousin has texted me that a Group of Americans just got off a bus with dublin plates in Kildare Village shopping outlet about 20 mins ago.

Mainly 50+. No masks.

Ah Lads this is absolutely ridiculous carry on.

The infection rate WILL rise if we keep allowing Americans in to wander around the country

Kildare village, such a nice place. Should visit sometime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Well considering toward the end of June, Leo Varadkar who was still Taoiseach at the time was on about opening up to certain countries without a quarantine requirement. That didn;t happen once the new government were actually brought in so I wonder was it Fianna Fail who didn't want to be seen to the undoers of good by actually going ahead with it

Where are the mixed messages? The previous Government gave very mixed messages on face masks.

Yes I agree with you on that point, but mask wearing now is being encouraged, and I use one when going to the shop and anywhere indoors without fail. Might not save me, but might save others.

As for the mixed messages, well.... travel abroad?, allowing all and sundry in? Non food pubs? Few know what to think anymore.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    The rest of the country has been locking Dublin down pretty much every day since the pandemic started, so nothing new there.

Dublin will be grand if locked down, it is the capital, everything on your doorstep, be fine.

Should be a passport control at all entrances to keep away the boggers lol :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Yes I agree with you on that point, but mask wearing now is being encouraged, and I use one when going to the shop and anywhere indoors without fail. Might not save me, but might save others.

As for the mixed messages, well.... travel abroad?, allowing all and sundry in? Non food pubs? Few know what to think anymore.

The message on travel abroad is the same now as it was under the previous Government.

In relation to food and non food pubs, it was the previous Government who made the decision on the reopening of pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Agree with this. Even though Simon Harris’s updates were a bit wishy washy, he was on Twitter live every single day putting a message out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

72 hours, why not give the infection rate for the last 240 hours or the last 480 hours?
    Seems like scaremongering tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭AUDI20

There is a tread on Masks, might carry more weight there with like minded people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Only thing I've heard floated is delaying date wet pubs can reopen and if that's the price to pay so be it. But like others have said it might have unintended consequence of forcing more people to congregate at house parties with no contact details taken or social distancing enforced.
    I think they might have to delay the next phase, but it's ultimately the wrong answer.

If it's behaviour that is happening now, that behaviour needs to be targetted. House parties are clearly stupid at the current time - yet many people are not getting the message. People power could shut down pubs back in March, but there's very little it can do about neighbours/students/idiots taking the piss - indoor gatherings of more than 10 people should not be allowed, and the Guards need to be given the power to break them up if more are present. No-one is taking social distancing seriously at indoor gatherings in private houses.

We have to get the schools open in September. If we use up all our spare Covid R0 capacity in opening pubs or allowing house parties this will never happen and we will be in trouble.

The message on travel abroad is the same now as it was under the previous Government.

In relation to food and non food pubs, it was the previous Government who made the decision on the reopening of pubs.

But we have a new Gov now and nothing of note from slippery MM at all.

More concerned with appeasing the rural crowd with Ministerial Office, and protecting his appointee to Agriculture. That is the FF way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

First time in 4 weeks to have weekly cases over 100. 7 day average is now 18. Worth taking into account we had close to 50,000 test this week.

hmmm wrote: »
    I think they might have to delay the next phase, but it's ultimately the wrong answer.

If it's behaviour that is happening now, that behaviour needs to be targetted. House parties are clearly stupid at the current time - yet many people are not getting the message. People power could shut down pubs back in March, but there's very little it can do about neighbours/students/idiots taking the piss - the Guards need to be given the power to break these up.

We have to get the schools open in September. If we use up all our spare Covid R0 capacity in opening pubs or allowing house parties this will never happen and we will be in trouble.

Absolutely agree with your point about the Gardai being given the powers to shut down unacceptable behaviours like house parties etc. I know I sound like a boring old Meldrew, but we really should not abdicate all the sacrifices we made just to see it go woosh like this.

A decent thread here in reply to that

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1282004486135980032?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

AUDI20 wrote: »
    There is a tread on Masks, might carry more weight there with like minded people.
    I think (or would hope anyway) that most people on any thread would agree that masks are a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sonofenoch wrote: »
    It's basic common sense ..........but no one will ever convince me that wearing a mask protects the wearer.......it protects the people they come in contact with and that's it

It's like the analogy of me wearing a rubber will stop me from getting pregnant :D

It's like the analogy of being behind a one-way mirror.... wait, no. It's not like that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

That's commonsense. But not in fashion sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

auspicious wrote: »
    I've been told the Kerry cases are a result of people travelling to a houseparty there from Dublin, on public transport.

FFS bellends, was it a house rented in Killarney?

It's like to some there is no pandemic virus killing people, everyone should act responsible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

sonofenoch wrote: »

When I am doing woodwork and using a sander, I make sure to wear googles and a face mask, as I don't want to breathe on the piece I am working on or be getting my tears on it either.

If only they would come up with goggles that stopped dust getting in my eyes and a mask to stop it getting up my nose and in my lungs, as that would make it a lot more pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    FFS bellends, was it a house rented in Killarney?

It's like to some there is no pandemic virus killing people, everyone should act responsible

Whilst getting on with life or hiding under the bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,645 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Whilst getting on with life or hiding under the bed?

They can get on with life even socialise without getting completely ratarsed overpacking into a house

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They can get on with life even socialise without getting completely ratarsed overpacking into a house

These parties have been going on since March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

cnocbui wrote: »
    When I am doing woodwork and using a sander, I make sure to wear googles and a face mask, as I don't want to breathe on the piece I am working on or be getting my tears on it either.

If only they would come up with goggles that stopped dust getting in my eyes and a mask to stop it getting up my nose and in my lungs, as that would make it a lot more pleasant.

I see what you did there !!!!

If only bi-directional filters worked in both directions, then you wouldn't have to wear goggles on goggles and mask on mask to keep both your work clean and you safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Very unfair lumping all of Dublin in with the gob****es who gather in crowds . The vast majority of Dublin people are being careful and are just as peed off with the eejits in pubs and parties

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement