Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

These parties have been going on since March.

Maybe some have but presumably the frequency and numbers at them have increased. Can still reinforce discouraging negative behaviour even if it's still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

These parties have been going on since March.

Yup they have, only difference with this one is someone who had tested postive still went to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yup they have, only difference with this one is someone who had tested postive still went to it

Covid Party like in the US? The person should be prosecuted

Risk is always there that asymptomatic people go and once drink is involved social distancing probably goes out the window. Guess this is just a clear cut example which has got media attention.

Should be a fine and/or paying for all the tests of their close contacts at minimum for something as reckless as that tbh. I can't even understand their thought processes to still go while infected besides a very selfish and entitled mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I think that person should be prosecuted for that . It should be a crime

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Personally I think that person should be prosecuted for that . It should be a crime

Well when it's a crime to cough on someone whether you have it or not then agree it should be. Willfully endangering others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Covid Party like in the US? The person should be prosecuted

But under what law?

Hopefully there will be some law to catch the person who turned up with a positive covid result hopefully set an example and discourage others from doing the same.

The law that I can think of is neglect but that would be tort law and that would be civil law and not criminal law. It will be up to others who attended the party to go down the neglect and compo route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is the government currently claiming the Covid crisis is the equivalent of a war or armed insurrection in order to trammel the other bits of the constitution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coveney is still over Foreign Affairs, should he make the call banning US and UK flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Coveney is still over Foreign Affairs, should he make the call banning US and UK flights

Banning UK flights is a waste of time as it's just as easy to fly to Belfast and travel onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Australian citizens and residents are more or less are the only ones allowed to enter Australia at the moment.

Because their public health workers are becoming overloaded with the community transmission in Melbourne, they have decided to reduce the rate of international arrivals by more than half – with at least 4,000 fewer Australians returning home each week – and states will charge people for compulsory two-week hotel quarantine.

Morrison said the decision was neither “surprising or unreasonable” and the national cabinet had to put “the national interest … and the health of Australia and Australians first”.

I wish our lot would follow suit and put “the national interest … and the health of Ireland and the Irish first” and stop the lunacy of welcoming Yanks and assorted individuals from the world’s Covid-19 hotspots with open arms.

Australia has proven that a single breach of their strict hotel quarantine can lead to a catastrophic outcome, yet it's 'céad míle fáilte' to the virus-ridden of the world here.

Mad or what ?

I am not against EU travel, and am currently isolating after a very refreshing and enjoyable few days in Switzerland. I also have family and a home in the UK and see at first hand how impractical it is to stop travel within the CTA

But, for the life of me, I can’t understand why Americans (other than citizens or permanent residents) are not banned from entering Ireland, as they are other EU countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am not against EU travel, and am currently isolating after a very refreshing and enjoyable few days in Switzerland. I also have family and a home in the UK and see at first hand how impractical it is to stop travel within the CTA

But, for the life of me, I can’t understand why Americans (other than citizens or permanent residents) are not banned from entering Ireland, as they are other EU countries

US won't let us in for starters, so why are we allowing THEM in? Must be a fear of offending. Same applies to UK.

Anyway all nations can enter via other EU hubs so it is a moot point anyway.

Needs a Government decision. Can't see it happening anytime soon, but I am not happy about the cavalier attitude to visitors from hotspots while we are told to stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

hmmm wrote: »
    We have a house party in Kerry with tens of people potentially now having Covid, yet the media and society are all jumping on a small number of US arrivals as being the thing which will tip us over the edge. We need to get a sense of perspective, and instead of looking for outsiders to blame start taking some responsibility ourselves. There will be people going to house parties tonight which will represent a much bigger risk to us than a small number of tourists walking around a beauty spot.

While I agree about house parties, both are a big risk.
    Tourists do not just walk around beauty spots .
    They stay in hotels and Bn Bs , they dine in cafes and restaurants and go to pubs to mix with the locals .
    Difficult dealing with the plonkers at the house parties , but we as country do have a choice to ban visitors from high risk countries during a pandemic , as do many others have done .

Also cases are now rising .
    Yes we have test and trace , but if these clusters start to spread in the next week or so to not so young or more vulnerable we will see hospital admissions starting to go up again .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SteHam

Looks like the second wave is here... Hope yas brought your wellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

SteHam wrote: »
    Looks like the second wave is here... Hope yas brought your wellies

Second wave is where? I dont see any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Second wave is where? I dont see any

It's right there

9217737281_80f5fc3f3a_n.jpg

Still there yeah, but are they really calling the shots with the covid stuff anymore though? Simon C and Paschal are still doing what they were doing, but… I don’t know, two of the key people who were leading the government’s efforts are definitely not doing the same job anymore, even though they’re still in government. I was reading some piece before the last government broke up that made it clear that over the few months they were facing Covid, many of the decisions weren’t really being made by the whole cabinet. It was Leo, Simon H, and a couple of other people who were doing much of the “handling”. The rest of them were of course involved, and given a say, but not to the same degree. I can’t remember the details but I remember the feeling being from a bit of it that some of them weren’t happy at not feeling more involved. If that’s still the way of it, and you consider we’ve swapped out Leo and Simon for MM and Stephen Donnelly, who are only in place two (very messy) weeks and the people who WERE handling it now are not and the new government is still getting settled in between people who weren't in government at all and people who were but now suddenly have completely different jobs… maybe it’s not so surprising. I was reading a piece in the Irish Times the other day about how crazy messy it’s been behind the scenes (it sounds like things have been all OVER the place, it took three days for one person to get an email address) and it made me grateful all over again that we didn’t switch governments, or didn’t have a brand new one just come to power, before now. I don’t think FG got everything right at all, but at least they were well established and knew what they were doing, and weren't still trying to figure out email addresses and hire staff when covid hit!

The new government do need to step it up though. I have sympathy for the people new to this, and to everyone (bar the few FG people in the same jobs) having so much going on behind the scenes trying to get to get to grips with their new roles, but there's no time to waste here. They urgently need to get it together. And they need to figure out the travel thing. FG had the luxury of not having to make that call because really, pretty much nobody was travelling here that didn't have to- that's clearly not the case anymore, and it's not fair for Martin to act like it's not happening. It won't be the only thing that causes a second wave if it happens by any means but it doesn't help matters either, and it certainly doesn't help the general morale here to know there could be plane loads of people (I know there isn't, I know right now the numbers are relatively small, but there could be any number of them) coming from some of the worst-impacted places on earth and that's all fine, nothing in place either stop them coming or to ensure they quarantine once here. People are really unhappy about it. Leo and Simon H, for all their faults, understood how important it was that everyone bought into what we were doing and that there was a clear message, and they hammered it home until they were blue in the face. MM and Stephen D need to step it up now that they're the new "faces of the effort".

Agree with everything you said there , and love your name !

Also the biweekly NPHET meetings may need to be upped to 3 a week as this unfortunately looks as if it is ramping up again .
    I know everyone thinks the media are ultra negative , but all have a role to play in getting the message out there .
    So many people think it has gone , it's not , just waiting for the chance to spread again.
    And before I am accused of fear mongering, I am not , but I know if house parties etc continue unfettered we will soon be going backwards .

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    I mean on the one hand you have the government encouraging 'staycations', and I highly doubt the people of Killarney would want to clamp down on visits, the place lives off tourism. Obviously a party of 30 is a bit excessive..

13 of us heading to Killarney for a few nights next week, life goes on.

Jeez , I am there earlier in the week too.
    Maybe not the Americans we should be worrying about after all 😳

New Gov better get the feel of the nation now.

The vast majority do NOT want a free for all, whether it is pubs or arrivals from US and UK.

We don't seem to have a voice anymore. Sad about that.

That’s not a new thing? Thats a year round issue and unrelated to COVID. It’s a noise court case.

But there were people from the area protesting about student parties during lockdown , not sure if that case is related or not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

https://twitter.com/raokavitha/status/1248090760454582275?s=21

Twitter link to the Czech philosophy on masks. By the people for the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

A rise in cases, has there been an proportional rise in hospitalizations?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

smurfjed wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/raokavitha/status/1248090760454582275?s=21

Twitter link to the Czech philosophy on masks. By the people for the people.

When all this is over, I'm going on holidays to Czech Republic. They can look after their people and actually care, that's where I'll be spending my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

New Gov better get the feel of the nation now.

The vast majority do NOT want a free for all, whether it is pubs or arrivals from US and UK.

We don't seem to have a voice anymore. Sad about that.

Have you at least emailed your local TD to get the ball rolling?

owlbethere wrote: »
    What are our numbers like now in relation to our heads per population? I'm not great at figuring out sums.

What is it like in comparison to other European countries per head of population like Italy, Germany, France?

Almost all comparisons are difficult to get proper data from as we've been so transparent about our mortality figures. Which is more than can be said for many, many countries

I think someone mentioned Bulgaria as been the only other EU as truthful about their statistics?

@wadacrack
    The big 3 profiteers - “Big Pharma 💊, Big Ag 🥩 and Big Airlines ✈️ are making out like bandits in this pandemic”. #COVID19

How exactly are non-US airlines benefitting outta this ? Surely their business model actually includes flying planes with people onboard.

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly and this isn't having a go at nurses, doctors or any hosptial staff but some settings in the past have had awful infection control, far to often do we see visitor bans etc due to outbreaks

Usually visitors spreading norovirus to vulnerable patients ie.wintervomiting bug . Highly infectious , airborne spread , and while less deadly than coronavirus ,is so difficult to prevent , it results in minilockdowns in hospitals.
    Ireland is not geared up for airborne transmission prevention ,as hospitals need to have all single rooms .
    The first public hospital that will be like that is the new Children's Hospital,but that's another subject entirely ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can someone put together a letter template that we can send to our elected officials to demand action on those entering our country from hotspots that threaten to derail the progress we have made as a nation against this virus. We need decisive action and we need it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

wadacrack wrote: »

Im not sure Warren has any credibility, Dem run cities and states were the most ruthless in keeping small businesses closed while her far left friends were burning them down.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Can someone put together a letter template that we can send to our elected officials to demand action on those entering our country from hotspots that threaten to derail the progress we have made as a nation against this virus.

Great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is that true?

Fúcking hell he/she should be fired out of a cannon into the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Look at this: 100s of years ago during a plaque in France a ship that tried to dock was quarantined.

They knew what to do 100s of years ago and that was a time well before the era of Internet and technology. We have as such a weak and pathetic response from our government in relation to tourists from abroad.

• Advertisement

@WolleyRedHat
    Can someone put together a letter template that we can send to our elected officials to demand action on those entering our country from hotspots that threaten to derail the progress we have made as a nation against this virus.

So how do you feel about Irish people going to countries like England or Spain that have rates 3-4 times higher than Ireland at the moment.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

At this stage, leaving your home should be a crime, who knows who could be asymptomatic? If we are realistic about stopping this, leaving home should be illegal unless for food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

@WolleyRedHat

So how do you feel about Irish people going to countries like England or Spain that have rates 3-4 times higher than Ireland at the moment.

Personally I think Irish citizens should be able to travel around the EU. On the other hand I couldn’t give two flying ****s about US citizens who don’t get to visit here. Don’t let them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Can someone put together a letter template that we can send to our elected officials to demand action on those entering our country from hotspots that threaten to derail the progress we have made as a nation against this virus. We need decisive action and we need it now.

Templated letters are pointless. Just write your own letter. Simple, say what you feel and want. Don't waffle and keep to the point. Why wait for somebody to write a letter for you?

@WolleyRedHat

I don't agree with that either, it represents a public health risk, especially when we can't guarantee they're quarantining on return to the country.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Templated letters are pointless. Just write your own letter. Simple, say what you feel and want. Don't waffle and keep to the point. Why wait for somebody to write a letter for you?

Because if we have a telegraphed campaign it can increase pressure. If we only have the odd person writing a letter to their public representative it won't have the same desired effect. By all means people should personalize letter, but it needs to be a collaborative effort to be effective.

I don't agree with that either, it represents a public health risk, especially when we can't guarantee they're quarantining on return to the country.

People leaving their home represents a public health risk. Why do some think this is ok in the middle of a pandemic?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Have you at least emailed your local TD to get the ball rolling?

Of course I have, but no response worth talking about, they are waiting for MM to say something. We are not being led now by anyone it seems.

People leaving their home represents a public health risk. Why do some think this is ok in the middle of a pandemic?

Don't you think that's a tad dramatic. You have to weigh up risks and their effect on potential outcomes.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think the think about Dublin is it has almost 33% of Ireland's population and the busiest international airport on the island along with port access. I think it's inevitable it will have more cases both in figures and per capita.

Yes , and also not inevitable that everybody from Dublin would be spreading Covid .
    Joe Murphy and his family go to the mobile in Wexford. Have brought their supplies from Dublin. Only sit out socially distanced on the deck or the beach , and rarely go for a meal out except with their family , and all according to guidelines .
    Mary Power and family flying back to Cork or Shannon , unknowingly infected from their holidays, but not quarantining because they feel fine , and then going to the shop and off license , having the extended family around for a welcome home party, just as easily spreading and infecting a number of people .
    But they might not , if they wear a mask , keep their distance, and obey strict hygiene rules.

It really is not down to where anyone is based in the country , but what they are doing and how they are doing it .

Don't you think that's a tad dramatic. You have to weigh up risks and their effect on potential outcomes.

It was the approach govts around the world took from day one. Why is different now. The virus is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Two house parties happening right now on my road. Neighbours had one Thursday night also. I'm past caring now. All I hope for is when the inevitable second wave hits us these people suffer greatly.

That’s the spirit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

At this stage, leaving your home should be a crime, who knows who could be asymptomatic? If we are realistic about stopping this, leaving home should be illegal unless for food.

If he tested positive he should be in isolation not at a party with 30 others . Its quite simple

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Imagine been an elderly or compromised person living in fear since early March . ....doing everything you can to stay safe and you look out you window at a bus load of tourists ... I accept there may not be huge numbers of tourists but how many would it take to cause problems . ..just not good enough

Personally I think Irish citizens should be able to travel around the EU. On the other hand I couldn’t give two flying ****s about US citizens who don’t get to visit here. Don’t let them in.

Same should apply to UK, so can you imagine!

And still not a word from FF or our new Taoiseach. He is possibly in his booked table down the Silver Key next door to his house anyway and couldn't care less.

Am very disappointed with the pension peddaling TS now TBH, was willing to give him a pass but not any longer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement