Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Many predicted that the first weekend would be crazy and then that it would all go quiet.

Seriously?
    If they had gotten away with it, without any negative press it'd be jammers every night of the week!
    That's the thing , any non compliance has to be stopped straight away .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sounds like that wacky Irish professor - whats her name?

Anyway a random tweet with nothing backing it up

Ahh Dolores - proof if anything that a degree and title doesn't mean you know what you are talking about!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ucd-professor-asked-to-resign-from-eu-committee-over-covid-19-claims-1.4277698

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

The Gov have lost the young people, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

gmisk wrote: »
    He is tweeting things with no actual basis on any facts though....going by that tweet.

OMG
    - substantial herd immunity gained.

The story says nothing whatsoever to back up that statement.....

Yep, correct. He seems to be incredibly stressed more recently by what he considers insanity and and overreaction by most governments. Not sure he’s saying herd immunity is what the RTÉ story is saying, more that’s what he believes and cannot fathom why we’re mandating masks now.

Not saying I agree or disagree, I’m not an expert, and I’ve no hard stance on this pandemic (I.e. it’ll be grand vs second wave incoming) just interested in reading analysis from all areas of the spectrum, maybe just not the “its a democratic hoax” deep end of it :)

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    lots of older people standing up further back there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Have to say your statistics and measured approach has calmed me down. Thanks .
    Still annoyed over the American tourists inbound, but not as stressed as I was earlier .
    It is good to know that the positivity rate is just 0.3% , but it was 0.2% .
    Just concerned if these cases translate into rising numbers in hospital in the next week .

I just like to do research into things I read. In this case to see how many extra tests lead to extra cases. We're roughly 6k more tests than 2 weeks ago and roughly 10 more cases per day with the postivity rate around 0.2 - 0.3.

But yeah have to keep an eye on hosptial numbers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

gmisk wrote: »
    He is tweeting things with no actual basis on any facts though....going by that tweet.

OMG
    - substantial herd immunity gained.

The story says nothing whatsoever to back up that statement.....

Yeah, I've been following ivor Cummins on twitter for his low carb stuff (out of curiosity). He has a contrarian side when it comes to scientific orthodoxy so maybe not too surprising.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah Dame Tavern, Mercantile and Stag's Head all look closed there. Now I'm curious were any of them even in open last weekend!

Stag's Head was never open. Said they couldn't and wouldn't .Waiting for the pub opening 20th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well, my question would be: why would getting a cold/other viruses give immunity from this (novel) coronavirus? Wouldn't that be a bit like being immune to lung cancer if you've had breast cancer - which doesn't happen as far as I'm aware.

There is plenty of evidence vaccines for one virus creates an immune response to help protect you against others. Having and recovering from other cold and viruses which are very similar also does the same, so the theory is more than plausible. While your analogy is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,644 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

At least they're outside. I know Gardai probably turn a blind eye to drinking there usually unless there's hassle but you'd think they'd swing by and move people on. Or is it pointless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Not great admittedly but at least they are outside than in some house party

Hse report out for the day, both numbers in general beds and icu have increased by 1, to 12 and 10.

Still 7 ventilated and no deaths in last 24 hrs in ICU. One case confirmed in the mater last 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

At least they're outside. I know Gardai probably turn a blind eye to drinking there usually unless there's hassle but you'd think they'd swing by and move people on. Or is it pointless?

They weren't bothered at Dame Lane until the videos were doing the rounds, sure they'd been through earlier and getting into pictures with people.

Sounds like that wacky Irish professor - whats her name?

Anyway a random tweet with nothing backing it up

Irish freedom party, lol .
    No agenda there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well, my question would be: why would getting a cold/other viruses give immunity from this (novel) coronavirus? Wouldn't that be a bit like being immune to lung cancer if you've had breast cancer - which doesn't happen as far as I'm aware.

No because cancer and a virus are as different as chalk and cheese. They affect your body in completely different ways.

Some of the viruses that can cause a cold also belong to the coronavirus family. The theory is due to your immune systems prior exposure to them and their similarity to Covid they may offer some protection.

As for whether there's any merit to it. There hasn't been any concrete evidence yet so until there is I'd take it with a grain of salt.

There is plenty of evidence vaccines for one virus creates an immune response to help protect you against others. Having and recovering from other cold and viruses which are very similar also does the same, so the theory is more than plausible. While your analogy is ridiculous.

I guess it might be reasonable to suggest that shared sequences between different coronaviruses might confer some degree of immunity to covid-19 virus... I get the logic, just don't know how plausible it is.

Prof M or Martina, any views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

100%! We all need to have a bit of fun while we can or I genuinely don't know how we'll face the impending long winter of cold/dark nights. Personally, I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming atm.

• Advertisement

They weren't bothered at Dame Lane until the videos were doing the rounds, sure they'd been through earlier and getting into pictures with people.

Well sure there's the photo for them.. ha Seems to be a fairly reactive approach instead of proactive. Would think a bit of common sense and initiative would get Gardai to do it before it does round of social media

Trump visited a medical centre today and wore a mask. Not sure if it’ll do much, but a small gesture like this may in fact have a big impact to at least some of his followers

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1282068566737670144?s=21

100%! We all need to have a bit of fun while we can or I genuinely don't know how we'll face the impending long winter of cold/dark nights. Personally, I'm finding it all a bit overwhelming atm.

No I get you. I personally wouldn't be comfortable to be there and it is frustrating that it happens. I was very annoyed myself at Dame Lane last week and that is nearly worse. Hopefully cases will be manageable over next few weeks. Sustaining these measures was always going to be difficult but thought people would have a bit more staying power

Trump visited a medical centre today and wore a mask. Not sure if it’ll do much, but a small gesture like this may in fact have a big impact to at least some of his followers

Probably told he wont get in if he doesn't wear one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

That's actually quite a big gesture

Could do with one permanently tbh. Surprised he hasn't sold his supporters one MAGA ones made in China

• Advertisement

Ineedaname wrote: »
    No because cancer and a virus are as different as chalk and cheese. They affect your body in completely different ways.

Some of the viruses that can cause a cold also belong to the coronavirus family. The theory is due to your immune systems prior exposure to them and their similarity to Covid they may offer some protection.

As for whether there's any merit to it. There hasn't been any concrete evidence yet so until there is I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah that’s the general theory, and even if it doesn’t confer immunity to this strain of it, coronaviruses in their nature come in varying waves with seasonal influence so that should impact it. Like most other things (long term effects, length of immunity, etc) it’s all a waiting game and observing what happens. It’s why Sweden is an interesting example, of course they’ve suffered many deaths compared to neighbours so I’m not saying it was the correct approach, but nothing close to the levels predicted have happened there.

Probably told he wont get in if he doesn't wear one

He visited a mask factory a few months ago and refused to wear one, even picking up finished masks and ended up contaminating sterile stock.

Yes, that's been mentioned as regards the BCG for TB .
    But the common cold which is a Corona virus would not protect against SARS. Too different .
    Now maybe if you had had SARS Covid 1 ....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

I'd like to see spot checks on house parties by the Gardai and revenue/social services. If improper adhering to social distancing rules don't apply then anyone in receipt of pandemic payment should have it removed with immediate effect.

We need to get tough with these idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Too little, too late :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'm thinking that was Secret Service directive to him and he hadn't got much choice

As an aside, from looking at pic it looks like he went for a filter under the cloth for an extra layer of protection. He hasn't got the intelligence to do that himself, which leads back to it been a Secret Service directive

(PS: We're all now on a Special List for mentioning "Secret Service", "Protection" and "Trump" all in the same thread)

He visited a mask factory a few months ago and refused to wear one, even picking up finished masks and ended up contaminating sterile stock.

That's hilarious

That's actually quite a big gesture

Yes can't believe I thanked a Trump the Good post! :)
    Have to say something to balance it , like , About Bloody Time!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

A decent thread here in reply to that

The tweet you posted neatly illustrates why Irish people holidaying in Europe are putting our gains at risk.

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1282004486135980032

Yeah that’s the general theory, and even if it doesn’t confer immunity to this strain of it, coronaviruses in their nature come in varying waves with seasonal influence so that should impact it. Like most other things (long term effects, length of immunity, etc) it’s all a waiting game and observing what happens. It’s why Sweden is an interesting example, of course they’ve suffered many deaths compared to neighbours so I’m not saying it was the correct approach, but nothing close to the levels predicted have happened there.

Yes , the data from Sweden will be very interesting after all this, but what a way to go about it .
    It would be the only positive for them really if they were actually immune to a second wave , after this awful death ride they have been on , and all the other countries who are doin g so badly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

14 day incidence rate makes the figures look better....

Anyhow we either have vaccine or herd immunity and no vaccine is gonna be rolled out in next few months so be careful and keep those who are vunerable safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Virus is out of control now in southern United States but yet Disneyland opened its doors back up today in Florida.

Mad country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Looks photoshopped onto him.
    I think this is part of strategy to blame (and then fire) Dr.Fauci, who is now more trusted than Trump.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/10/trump-fauci-covid-19-coronavirus-cases

The tweet you posted neatly illustrates why Irish people holidaying in Europe are putting our gains at risk.

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1282004486135980032

This tweet is crazy, I knew flu put a strain on hospitals each year but had no idea of the actual extent in actual numbers

https://twitter.com/care2much18/status/1282004491714342912?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Travel letter template from Reddit.
    Dear

I have concerns regarding the reports of American tourists entering and travelling around Ireland without any restrictions (by reports, none of them are isolating) This is an insult to the people in this country who went into lockdown, thousands losing their jobs and yet we done it willingly in order to protect the citizens of this country. Allowing visitors from the most infected country in the world to arrive on our shores is an absolute disgrace and more importantly it again puts our frontline workers in danger. The government needs to step up to the mark and either ban American tourists or put more stringent measures in place.

Kind regards

Send it to your local TDs.
    https://www.whoismytd.com/

• Advertisement

This tweet is crazy, I knew flu put a strain on hospitals each year but had no idea of the actual extent in actual numbers

I'm missing what the point of that tweet is??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Virus is out of control now in southern United States but yet Disneyland opened its doors back up today in Florida.

Mad country.

That was a Micky Mouse decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Any thoughts on this reply?

50% of people not susceptible plus another 30% already exposed = approaching herd immunity in UK?

https://twitter.com/CatrionaColllns/status/1281733145851822080?s=19

The source of the claims here is not the tweeter but Karl Friston of UK Independent SAGE (the alternative to SAGE).

However, the claims remain bollocks.

I believe there is a 'paper' to come, but Friston is a neuroscientist, whose current big theory is 'free energy of the brain', or something.

Flu comparisons still after 4 months of this?

Seriously?

Depending on the country's data you read, Covid is:
    • 5-10 times more contagious than Flu
    • 5-20 times more fatal than Flu

edit: In some cases, when a country's CFR with it is 5%, it's as much as 50 times more fatal than Flu

Flu's mortality rate is 0.1% in Ireland. It's easy Maths to figure out

The source of the claims here is not the tweeter but Karl Friston of UK Independent SAGE (the alternative to SAGE).

However, the claims remain bollocks.

I believe there is a 'paper' to come, but Friston is a neurologist, whose current big theory is 'free energy of the brain', or something.

Aha! Thank you. I should have done my own detective work. Just sounding it out with the community here. Cheers DH.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Flu comparisons still after 4 months of this?

Seriously?

Depending on the country's data you read, Covid is:
    • 5-10 times more contagious than Flu
    • 5-20 times more fatal than Flu

Agree, this is far more serious than flu. I’m just saying I’m surprised that flu puts that many people in our hospitals each season. Not commenting on the comparison.

Taoiseach and Minister for Foreign Affairs in one constituency. Better let on ye're all in Cork South Central for maximum effect.. :P

(by reports, none of them are isolating)

how do you know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

sideswipe wrote: »
    That was a Micky Mouse decision.

It's a goofy thing to do alright.

• Advertisement

Agree, this is far more serious than flu. I’m just saying I’m surprised that flu puts that many people in our hospitals each season. Not commenting on the comparison.

Yeah, flu is very serious for older people. I keep on nagging my Dad to get the vaccine every year, but he never does.

Old man's friend, they used to call it. Takes you relatively quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement