Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sparrows

Options
  • 30-06-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I have house sparrows nesting in my garage. At first I did not mind but I would like to move them on once they have reared their chicks. They are destroying my garage. Has anyone any advice on how to move them out of my garage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

i'm not sure of the legalities of moving the nest - when etc.

I have 5 nests currently around my back garden - three on the back wall under the eaves and the dirt from it is a scourge along with the noise - I can't open the windows upstairs at the back of the house during the summer.

a nest formed in an old shed I had stuff being stored in last year and it destroyed everything in there as I wasn't aware of the nest until the end of the summer. I tried to block up all the entry points this year and alas - they are back, you'd be surprised at how small a hole they will use.

I have been warned locally not to touch them - not that I was going to. I also had a contractor who recently refused to clear gutters and clean the fascia at the back of the house until the nest was gone as he didn't want to be responsible if anything happened.

While they are fascinating to watch when you are in the garden especially at dawn or dusk - they are a real pest at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lstmd

I'm in a similar situation. I have bird feeders in the garden and like watching the wildlife and birds outside. However they are destroying what I have stored inside the shed particularly the path they fly in and out of the shed to feed their young.

I would not touch them now but wondering how I can stop them building inside again. I tried blow king holes but they are able to squeeze in through the smallest space and are very brazen.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

whippet wrote: »
    I have 5 nests currently around my back garden - three on the back wall under the eaves and the dirt from it is a scourge along with the noise - I can't open the windows upstairs at the back of the house during the summer.

For the eaves, I’d highly recommend these plastic attachments which actually work - https://www.stopbirdsnesting.net/.

I get nests in the eaves every year so I installed two this year before they started nesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

zac8 wrote: »
    For the eaves, I’d highly recommend these plastic attachments which actually work - https://www.stopbirdsnesting.net/.

I get nests in the eaves every year so I installed two this year before they started nesting.

Handy Idea, feck the 14 pound each tho, I'm gonna make a pair at work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

My suggestion is to protect the stuff inn your garage for the time being, then when the birds have finished using the nest you can get rid of it. You the need to do further work to prevent them getting in in future. You will have some idea of where they are entering, from the fouling, but you need to keep watch next spring for any signs of them getting in again.
    You may well be perfectly correct i identifying the birds as sparrows, but in my experience it is starlings who display this behaviour. I have had starlings in a corner of the roof of my house and in the apex of my garage roof for the past couple of summers, as I have not got around to restoring the defences that I had put up before, but had bee blown down in bad weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement