Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As some one that works in pharma there's no way the FDA will rush the vaccine anymore than they already are and there's no way it will be ready for November. No pharma company is going to risk another thalidomide just to appease a stupid oaf that looks like he won't be in office come November and will be fighting to stay out of jail.

Just more lies from Trump.

When I hear rushed vaccines the first thing I thought of was thalidomide, I’d be very wary of an early out vaccine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

salmocab wrote: »
    When I hear rushed vaccines the first thing I thought of was thalidomide, I’d be very wary of an early out vaccine.

Vaccine delivery is well understood and widely researched. Also the thalidomide scandal is what has made trials so long and thorough, to prevent another case of this occurring. And on top of that, even more so you have the threat of legal action if something goes wrong. There's a lot more safeguards in place to prevent something like thalidomide happening.

I'd be afraid of anti vaxxer hysteria when the vaccine which is utterly baseless.
    Yep and yesterday we had this https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-safety.html

AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine was meant to be the leader of the pack

It's a little bit sensationalist. This happens all the time. It's severe adverse affects in one patient. One patient out of thousands. They have to stop and investigate if these adverse affects are from the vaccine. More than likely they are unrelated but it should be a comfort to know how seriously these things are taken these days. More than likely it's not vaccine related but they have to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Vaccine delivery is well understood and widely researched. Also the thalidomide scandal is what has made trials so long and thorough, to prevent another case of this occurring. And on top of that, even more so you have the threat of legal action if something goes wrong. There's a lot more safeguards in place to prevent something like thalidomide happening.

I'd be afraid of anti vaxxer hysteria when the vaccine which is utterly baseless.
    Oh I get all that but I’d have genuine worries if it seemed rushed, especially if it’s rushed because a politician pushed for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As some one that works in pharma there's no way the FDA will rush the vaccine anymore than they already are and there's no way it will be ready for November. No pharma company is going to risk another thalidomide just to appease a stupid oaf that looks like he won't be in office come November and will be fighting to stay out of jail.

Just more lies from Trump.

The pre-runners have been the Hyydroxcholoroquine and the blood plasma. Trump sees a vaccine as his Oct surprise. It's plain as day. His stupidity is in thinking pharma would go along with it.
    In Trump's mind the pharma cos would be competing with one another to be the first and he would ride on the coattails of that. It's the only business model he knows. He couldn't comprehend them doing otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

salmocab wrote: »
    Oh I get all that but I’d have genuine worries if it seemed rushed, especially if it’s rushed because a politician pushed for it.

Luckily the US isn't China and Russia and pharma companies like to keep their stock prices high and stay out of legal battles.

Capitalism isn't all bad.

• Advertisement

Trump has been nominated for a noble peace prize for brokering the 'historic peace agreement' between Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

And yes this news isn't from the onion.

I mean any kind of peace deal between these two is great but to give this to the man that has caused so much turmoil in this own country and only last year pulled troops out of Syria leading to a massacre... it seems very wrong. I'm pretty sure trump just signed his name to it as well but gets all the credit for the actual people that worded hard to get that deal signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Trump has been nominated for a noble peace prize for brokering the 'historic peace agreement' between Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

And yes this news isn't from the onion.

I mean any kind of peace deal between these two is great but to give this to the man that has caused so much turmoil in this own country and only last year pulled troops out of Syria leading to a massacre... it seems very wrong. I'm pretty sure trump just signed his name to it as well but gets all the credit for the actual people that worded hard to get that deal signed.

You need to give the full details of this though. Hes been nominated by a hard right Norwegian Conservative politician whos vehemently anti-immigration.

Its not a real nomination but Trumps gonna definitely play it off as one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump's executive order from last month on payroll tax deferral goes into action on the 15th Sept for 1.3 million active duty troops, said temporary suspension of collection applying over the Christmas/New Year period. The tax deferral applies to those earning less than $104,000 annually and will be collected in 2021, alongside payroll taxes falling due for 2021. It seems those soldiers to whom the tax deferral applies cannot opt out of it. The deferral also applies to thousands of civilians working within DOD.

It might look like a gift to those who will need extra cash over the holiday period but comes with the later collection sting in the tail, with the IRS saying the deferred taxes will have to be paid by April 30th. Nice try, Don.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hopefully the nomination of President Trump will all the Noble Prize committee to re-establish its creditability which it lost by prior awarding of the Peace prize to President Obama. Given the foreign policy mis-steps of the latter (ref. "After Obama" by Singh) and the attempts to promote peace by the former (UAE, Koreas, Serbia) then Trump should be in serious consideration this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Manach wrote: »
    Hopefully the nomination of President Trump will all the Noble Prize committee to re-establish its creditability which it lost by prior awarding of the Peace prize to President Obama. Given the foreign policy mis-steps of the latter (ref. "After Obama" by Singh) and the attempts to promote peace by the former (UAE, Koreas, Serbia) then Trump should be in serious consideration this year.

Neither of them should have it or be in consideration for it, there are plenty of people in line that won't even be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Manach wrote: »

It did lose credibility by awarding the prize to Obama. It would lose even more by giving it to such a poor specimen of humanity.

All advances in finding peaceful solutions are to be welcomed and admired but ,with the position the US holds that is-or should be - part of the job description.

Attacks on democracy itself and leaching onto dictators around the world are also probably enough to disbar any potential recipient of the Nobel award for Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see Bob Woodward has another book coming called rage which is made up of interviews he had(and recorded with permission btw) with the president and others and it reveals that trump knew full well the dangers of corona virus early in the year and downplayed its seriousness. So, that’s even worse than him being ignorant of the virus and not doing what was needed. He’s quoted as knowing exactly what was going on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Overheal wrote: »
    He's given the MIC $100,000,000,000's of taxpayer funds and not to mention a $350,000,000,000 arms deal with Saudi Arabia. It would be farcical to proceed with any sort of narrative that Trump is somehow not actually a great enabler of the MIC and that Biden would somehow be more sinister

Said numerous times Trump is anything but a dove here, but if accidentally can spark a debate about the MIC then that is great.

We have in Biden a hawk been powered into office by many who supported the Iraq war and few have shown any remorse for it.

The problem with this place and especially after hours politics thread, it seems to consist of people who think their preferred candidate are perfect and any criticism of that person is an attack on them.

Biden will obviously be a better president than Trump in many areas, but on foreign policy judging by the ghouls lining up behind him and his ranting about Venezuela he won't be much better than Trump internationally.

Only difference is those who sit around watching MSNBC and living in RESISTANCE@!! echo chambers won't give a flying ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Again, Trump has no intention of sparking any debate on the MIC.

It is a talking point, based on nothing more than Biden didn't do anything about the MIC when he was VP.

Thats it, that is the extent of Trumps concern.

Remember, Trup has handed over an additional $200bn without any question to the MIC in the last 4 years. He has not stated anything that he will wanting to reduce that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Again, Trump has no intention of sparking any debate on the MIC.

It is a talking point, based on nothing more than Biden didn't do anything about the MIC when he was VP.

Thats it, that is the extent of Trumps concern.

Remember, Trup has handed over an additional $200bn without any question to the MIC in the last 4 years. He has not stated anything that he will wanting to reduce that.

I'm not saying he is a dove, but the fact is we in 2020 have to choose between two hawks who are both supported by ghouls who have supported some of Americans worst foreign policies mainly the Iraq war.

That should be unacceptable.

Biden as a hawk who is supported by numerous Bush people will feel emboldened to act as aggressive as Trump internationally, the left need to be aware of this and any debate of the MIC is welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'm not saying he is a dove, but the fact is we in 2020 have to choose between two hawks who are both supported by ghouls who have supported some of Americans worst foreign policies mainly the Iraq war.

That should be unacceptable.

Biden as a hawk who is supported by numerous Bush people will feel emboldened to act as aggressive as Trump internationally, the left need to be aware of this and any debate of the MIC is welcome.

This is the same nonsense peddled about Hillary in the last election. She was a war hawk. Trump would bring about peace all over the shop etc etc

It was crap then it's crap now. You are whitewashing what trumps been doing the last 4 years and dressing his up as a rational comparison. Tiring and transparent. And I see dropped in the boards generalisations to boot. Classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You keep saying their is a debate, when there is not going to be any debate. Any more than Trump had a plan for Obamacare.

It is a talking point. You are falling for the headlines. Sure Trump announces Trump withdraw from Iraq, or wherever, but one doesn't hear about increased troops in other places. Or his massive increase in drone strikes.

Trump won't reduce the MIC, he has increased it in the last four years by 200bn, and he simply makes a brief line and you appear to think that he is somehow looking to change the entire military construct of the US.

They say judge a man by his actions, and Trumps actions are of someone that has no intention of doing anything on he MIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

retalivity wrote: »
    Trump had a rally in North Carolina last night, where state guidelines limit gatherings to less than 50 and require people to wear masks in public.
    A crowd of a couple of hundred maskless people, singing along with knocking on heavens door as they waited for him, and cheering when he laid into biden for practicing social distancing.

https://therecount.com/wire/trumps-largely-maskless-nondistanced-crowd/2645862092

Total ****wits and morons! Darwin would be proud of how his theory of selective culling of species by their own self-destructive behaviour is displaying out in real time! This shower of dimwits are somewhat like the fat-assed Sturgis attendees whose congregation in a petri dish of Covid have led to at least 250 THOUSAND infections of themselves and everyone else.

George Carlin used to have a great solution for dealing with dumb -wits and other undesirables: Wall off one of the smaller States, preferably one with straight edges ( cos wall cost would be cheaper without all those pesky curves and in/out bits) like Utah or Wyoming, move all the decent people out and move the dumb-ass MoFos in. Then close the gate! They'll be fine! Don't worry about them! Wear a mask? NAh, no need - we all know this Covid thing is a hoax, put out by Pelosi and Shumer, and paid for by Gates and Soros, designed to try and make OUR President look bad! OH, and by the way, let them bring loads of high powered boats in with them so they can have daily boat rallies and make red waves to sink their lazy fellow-travellers who haven't worked hard enough at their various grifts to pay for bigger boats. Make Parscale Governor, and Junior can be Head of Police.... That'll sort the population crisis out!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Few posts deleted. The charter states:
    Keep your language civil, particularly when referring to other posters and people in the public eye. Using unsavoury language does not add to your argument. Examples would be referring to other people or groups as scumbags, crusties, sheeple, shills, trolls, traitors or saying that recently deceased people should “rot in hell” or similar. Repeated use of terms like that will result in a ban from the forum.

Please note that any post deemed to incite hatred or promote violence will be dealt with in the strictest possible manner. Whatever your politics we expect discussion in a manner fit for adults, but first and foremost human beings. Celebration/promotion/triumphing of murder, violence or aggression will result in an immediate banning from the forum and deletion of your posts.

Suggesting that someone and their family deserve to become ill or die from taking a dodgy vaccine falls well short of the standard of contribution expected here. Any more and there will be sanctions.

I think Putin's daughter has had the Russian vaccine. No word on Putin himself oddly enough.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    I think Putin's daughter has had the Russian vaccine. No word on Putin himself oddly enough.

It's a blatant abuse of power when a world leader lies and propagandises and uses his 'throne' to promise a vaccine and/or uses his power to try to have the vaccine distributed widely before it is ready.

In an honest world, he would rightly be asked to have the courage of his convictions and lead by example, by taking one of the first doses live on air, followed by those he proclaims to be nearest and dearest to him. That is NOT to wish that he/they would die or become seriously ill; rather it is to hope it would work so well that everyone else could have confidence in the truth of his message.

If the vaccine is not 'dodgy', then he and they have nothing to lose and they will benefit from the immunity that the vaccine would give them. On the other hand, IF they ARE ignoring science and standard public health safety practises, and the vaccine IS dodgy, then potentially millions of people would be sacrificed to his/their evil intent and the illness/ deaths of those millions could be avoided if, beforehand, they had been called out and had regrettably fallen Ill or died directly because of a vile attempt at negligent homicide on a grand scale, just so they could win an election.

In that case, is it better that those who tried on a con job/scam became victims of that scam, rather than potentially millions of innocent people whom the so-called leader and his family clearly look upon as peons and worthless 'subjects'?

At least Putin's daughter is showing some courage by publicly acting as a vaccination test subject and I admire her for that. I wonder whether any of the Trump clan would do the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Water John wrote: »

Have they rolled here around in a bucket of freshly milked Covid to see if it works?
    Not that I think for a second that Putin could be deceiving anyone.

Maybe he thinks he will give them blanket immunity prosecution if something goes wrong, tho i dont think he would manage to pass something like that thru congress, nor can it be done with executive order.

He/they have been trying that stunt for months- trying to get blanket immunity from legal action for industry and employers who try to force workers back to their jobs in Covid-risky workplace settings. The GOP don't seem to have much of a problem with it; however, the Dems are working to keep all such attempts out of the various Covid response packages. Senators Cornyn and McConnell introduced a so-called "SAFE TO WORK" Act back in June that would greatly reduce people's rights in Covid injury cases. Also, remember the liability waivers that attendees at that first post-Covid rally in the stadium were asked to sign and only 7,000 out of the 20,000 turned up? These waivers are being put in front of ppl all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

To return briefly to Trump's "anti-war" agenda...

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1303737160298881027?s=19
    To put things in perspective: From the start of his term to the end, Barack Obama reduced troop levels in Afghanistan by ~25K and Iraq by ~140K. Donald Trump has so far reduced those troop levels by zero, with hopes of reducing troop levels in Afghanistan by ~4K and Iraq by ~2K. - Justin Amash

It's vaguely gratifying to see that not all conservatives are in lock step with Trump and can make actual points of substance against him, and not just the usual "incivility" drivel from some never-Trumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Detritus70

This is a very interesting and depressing read. To my mind, Trump supporters are well aware of these facts and support him anyway.
    One wonders if they support him despite all the terrible things he's said and done, or because of them?
    Early in President Trump’s term, McSweeney’s editors began to catalog the head-spinning number of misdeeds coming from his administration. We called this list a collection of Trump’s cruelties, collusions, and crimes, and it felt urgent then to track them, to ensure these horrors — happening almost daily — would not be forgotten. This election year, amid a harrowing global health, civil rights, humanitarian, and economic crisis, we know it’s never been more critical to note these horrors, to remember them, and to do all in our power to reverse them. This list will be updated between now and the November 2020 Presidential election.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-complete-listing-so-far-atrocities-1-889

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No mention of the Woodward book yet? More craziness:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/5-stunning-revelations-from-bob-woodwards-blockbuster-new-book-on-trump/

It will probably be more water of the cult leaders back but Woodward is being torn apart on Twitter for sitting on the Covid tape since February, people saying he has blood on his hands etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Thargor wrote: »

https://www.mediaite.com/news/5-stunning-revelations-from-bob-woodwards-blockbuster-new-book-on-trump/

It will probably be more water of the cult leaders back but Woodward is being torn apart on Twitter for sitting on the Covid tape since February, people saying he has blood on his hands etc.

I mentioned it earlier.

Edit: why is Woodward getting torn apart ? He’s hardly the first journalist to have something shocking in their possession and not released it. Donald trump is president of the United States not bob Woodward.

Those tapes are truly awful. Woodward sitting on them is a separate issue and worthy of a full discussion in the public space, esp on the ethics.
    Focus has to be on Trump and remove him from office. You can lay 150K of the deaths knowingly at his door.
    Trump knew in Early Feb remember. This is astonishing.
    Trump should be resigning this evening.

Thargor wrote: »

The imminent publication of Woodward's book has been mentioned a few times here. However, don't expect any discussion yet as it's not actually published until 15th Sept.

• Advertisement

Oh it is out, the media have it. All over CNN, along with the back up tapes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement