Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-54112954

Haven't looked at this out of distaste but is Melania Trump fair game now?

I rather think so as she is using her position it seems to me

btw the link just says she has a "transactional marriage"

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Why would she be off limits? Did Hannity, Carlson and others lay off Michelle Obama?

Don't forget Melania also pushed the birther BS.

I see no reason why she should be off limits, Barron on the other hand and any child should be off limits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

enno99 wrote: »
    EhjSPgxWsAEUP3q?format=jpg&name=900x900

Sorry about the size

Looks a lot different when you see the question

Respectfully, but it's a relevant question regardless of the BLM protests going on or your personal opinion of their value. Trump IS a rich and privileged man by any metric; he was born into extreme wealth and has spent his entire life living without anything resembling hardship or toil. Regardless of political affiliation in this thread, he is the walking definition of White Privilege, insofar as it pertains to the wealthier element of the "Boomer" generation he represents. Born into America's economic peak and came of age when Reaganism allowed him to further grow the wealth gap.

Woodword's question reflects this, and is a fair ask; topical for sure given the current question of systemic racism, but to ask to think upon Trump's own wealth vs. the poorest currently agitating on the streets? Not particularly outrageous either. Again as is often the case here, this should not have been a tough question for Trump. Even Mark Zuckerberg could have managed something with a little more humanity. A little humility or empathy for those born without a Manhatten real estate portfolio to inherit.

For any other politician or public figure this should have been pure softball stuff; American politicians love some lip-service support of Black communities without the follow-through of legislation so I dunno; is Trump's callous honesty to be applauded for not sounding emotionally inauthentic? Even raw honesty has its limits with his own answer still dismissive and callous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

enno99 wrote: »

Only if you cant think for yourself

Do you believe what he says ?

So you reckon that it actually doesn't matter what the POTUS says or does? A man that's the leader of the most powerful country around with blanket media coverage? What a bizarre outlook.

And obviously not. If he started reciting the Lord's Prayer I'd still have doubts. The guy is a lying machine, as are most politicians, but this guy takes the absolute pee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on the virus its actually hard to believe that Obama warned in 2014 about the need to prepare for a forthcoming pandemic. His literal words were "this could come along in five years or a decade". He wasnt wrong.

Then just last October Biden was saying this in response to a WaPo article saying that no country, including the US, was prepared for a pandemic

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1187829299207954437

Thats some kind of ninja level clairvoyancy from Obama and Biden right there. But not only that, they recognised how dangerous a pandemic could be to humanity and they took steps to prepare for it. They truly understood the gravity of a situation that was unlikely to ever happen in their presidential term but they still took action on it, action that would help out another President after them. Of course Trump undid all their work by abolishing the very pandemic unit that Obama and Biden had established under the National Security Council. It really says it all when it comes to the chasm in leadership between the two administrations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Overheal wrote: »
    So he's saying he feels in no way whatsoever an empathy or a responsibility to have empathy for Black Americans.

I would agree with him.
    All lives matter, not one race over any other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ELM327 wrote: »
    I would agree with him.

This is exactly correct. And at the moment the white race matters over any other, so the 'Black Lives Matter' movement is an attempt to equal this out, so that one race is not over another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Caegan wrote: »
    Why would she be off limits? Did Hannity, Carlson and others lay off Michelle Obama?

Don't forget Melania also pushed the birther BS.

I see no reason why she should be off limits, Barron on the other hand and any child should be off limits.
    If she had just been the first lady and not got involved in politics then I would say that she should be spared any treatment dished out to Michelle Obama ordsw

But anyone in her position would you'd think feel compelled to argue against Trump's actions and words.

After that ,how to disentangle oneself?

Not saying that she is not a pos on her own terms. Birtherism would seem to show that.

Also ,is she being used by the Trump campaign to present a more attractive front?

So ,yes fair game (find her repellent personally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 5GMadeMeDoIt

I would agree with him.

Well done. You're growing as a person. See you on the next BLM protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I would agree with him.

If all lives matter to you, then surely you would feel empathy toward all lives?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I would agree with him.

Absolutely, however in the current situation all lives don't matter and white privilege is systemic in virtually every aspect of American society. The BLM movement is there to highlight this inequality of people of colour and draw attention to this white privilege. However given your derision on the F1 thread of Lewis Hamilton's attempts to highlight the movement, I would say your opinion of white privilege is that its just a concept, rather than a reality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Pardon me for posting this question about U.S voting law where it come to people without a home, as distinct from homeless people and how it could affect the total vote. This is for those who know how things work in the U.S due to residency there. The wildfires in California and Arizona have taken the homes of a lot of citizens, as well as the lives of some. I can see how not having a location for delivery of your ballot paper could be troublesome [initially at least] for voters.

Does the loss of the home, as distinct from the home address, make a technical difference to having the right to vote? The wildfires have not been brought under control yet and might not be for some weeks yet.

Ta: Igotadose and Quin_Dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, on this somber anniversary day, lest we forget, the #IMPOTUS boasted about having the tallest office building in downtown once the towers had fallen, and lied about being a first responer, about having seen people jumping from buildings from Trump Tower (impossible), lied about celebrations in Jersey City, lied about donating to charity, lied about sending workers to help out, lie, lie, lie.

https://gothamist.com/news/a-brief-and-depressing-history-of-donald-trump-exploiting-lying-about-911

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would agree with him.

If the only time people give a f about all lives matter is to counter black lives matter that person doesn't give a toss about all lives. Best description of all lives matter I have heard was going to some child's funeral and screaming that all children are special when the parents talk about their poor child.

Yes all lives matter. Doesn't mean we can't discuss specific ones.

Finally all lives matter but 190+ dead? Meh, it is what it is?

You can take a run and jump if you want to convince me he actually cares about "all lives".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

aloyisious wrote: »
    Pardon me for posting this question about U.S voting law where it come to people without a home, as distinct from homeless people and how it could affect the total vote. This is for those who know how things work in the U.S due to residency there. The wildfires in California and Arizona have taken the homes of a lot of citizens, as well as the lives of some. I can see how not having a location for delivery of your ballot paper could be troublesome [initially at least] for voters.

Does the loss of the home, as distinct from the home address, make a technical difference to having the right to vote? The wildfires have not been brought under control yet and might not be for some weeks yet.

A bit technical, but you put in your address and State of residence when you vote (by mail, or in person when you sign.) You're attesting to it, up to you to prove it and the state to agree. I imagine if you were 'caught out' because you claimed 'a house that burned down,' well, that'd be an extenuating circumstance. You'd still have the lease (or something like a lease) and a name on a mortgage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »

I would imagine that it's still your address in respect to qualifying to vote in a particular State/County etc. You haven't officially "moved".

In terms of physical delivery I guess it would require something like a postal re-direct being put in place with the Post Office.

It's something you can do here - Basically you leave an instruction that says "Until further notice - all post for address ABC is to be sent instead to Address XYZ"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would agree with him.

Well isn't that nice. Saying that is the equivalent of having someone lying on the ground bleeding out asking for help while you watch on with nothing wrong with you saying 'what about me, i deserve help as well'.

All lives matter pretty much sums up white privilege and to me is a disgusting deflection from actual issues. Of course all lives matter. Thanks for that statement of the obvious. But if you truly believed that you'd feel just a little bit of empathy for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats some kind of ninja level clairvoyancy from Obama and Biden right there. But not only that, they recognised how dangerous a pandemic could be to humanity and they took steps to prepare for it. They truly understood the gravity of a situation that was unlikely to ever happen in their presidential term but they still took action on it, action that would help out another President after them. Of course Trump undid all their work by abolishing the very pandemic unit that Obama and Biden had established under the National Security Council. It really says it all when it comes to the chasm in leadership between the two administrations.

No clairvoyance, just listening to the "experts".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Igotadose wrote: »
    A bit technical, but you put in your address and State of residence when you vote (by mail, or in person when you sign.) You're attesting to it, up to you to prove it and the state to agree. I imagine if you were 'caught out' because you claimed 'a house that burned down,' well, that'd be an extenuating circumstance. You'd still have the lease (or something like a lease) and a name on a mortgage.

Of course there is another similar technicality that is being thrown out the window when it comes to Trump's own vote. He has put down Mar-a-Lago as his permanent residence for voting purposes. This is against the planning regulations for the hotel to have it as a permanent residence, and probably against voting regulations to list somewhere that cannot legally be your home as your place of residence. Is there anything yer man does that isn't arse-backwards, wrong, or just straight up illegal?

Looking increasingly likely that the dismissal of the Flynn case is in trouble. Abuse of power has been cited.
    https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1304450096948482048?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,007 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

that tweet is a thread btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

In a just world, Barr would be disbarred and sentenced.

In a just world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In a just world, Barr would be disbarred and sentenced.

In a just world.

Well come January he may very well be in a spot of bother. Btw, a member of John Durhams team who presumably will conveniently will release a report before the election which will find nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well come January he may very well be in a spot of bother. Btw, a member of John Durhams team who presumably will conveniently will release a report before the election which will find nothing.

I'd read that Durham was considered a just and honest person, not one apt to fall under the sway of Barr's illegality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd read that Durham was considered a just and honest person, not one apt to fall under the sway of Barr's illegality.

I’m not casting aspersions on Mr Durham but AG Barr after his first stint in the office he holds again was seen a person of high integrity and we’ve seen how that’s turned out. The thing that baffles me the most is that many people in GOP circles whether you agree with their political positions or not prior to Trump were seen as decent people and to a person they have just given up their good standing in DC to work for a president that makes Nixon looks like Lincoln.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There were some fairly credible people in legal circles, Preet Barahra, Harry Litman, and others that move in and out of the sort of popular law professional circuit, who said the same about Barr (which is bizarre given his priors as a fixer with Iran Contra).

Ultimately we'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Looking increasingly likely that the dismissal of the Flynn case is in trouble. Abuse of power has been cited.
    https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1304450096948482048?s=19

As expected

https://twitter.com/Techno_Fog/status/1304451420293341185

Short thread
    As defense attorney Sidney Powell previously shared: …”The defense and the government have agreed we will file no further briefs at all after amicus files whatever diatribe he plans to file. The only document that matters is the government’s motion to dismiss, which stands on its own and must be granted under ALL precedent. Everything amicus files is improper and should even be stricken–were the law being followed.”

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2020/09/11/flynn-update-judge-sullivan-appointed-amicus-john-gleeson-files-his-reply-to-motion-for-dismissal/#more-199423

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Is the Trump campaign deliberately using particular lyrics with the intent to generate follow-up interest in the events? "Knocking At Heavens Door" and "Fortunate Son" were played at two of his rallies this week, both containing lines and words which are ironic in content given the candidate supported by the rallies and his position on current affairs.

Given that most campaign events are planned down to the 9th degree to prevent foul-ups happening [and that includes background music themes] reflecting poorly on the candidate and campaign, I cant see the two songs above being accidental choices by a flunky in the campaign.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A secret about Graham ? Would certainly take the heat off of Trump...

Apparently it’s an open secret he’s gay and has a penchant for high class rent boys.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Brian? wrote: »
    Apparently it’s an open secret he’s gay and has a penchant for high class rent boys.

Are you joking or not here?

(It's not like this would be unusual among evangelical types, so much that it's like an immediate assumption even without evidence now, which is why I'm wondering if you've actually heard it or just decided it's as likely as anything else.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement