Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Brian? wrote: »
    Apparently it’s an open secret he’s gay and has a penchant for high class rent boys.

If true, (and a number of media outlets including the WaPo have reported on this as recently as June) then Graham would be a prime target for counter intelligence attention. This would not be because he might be gay per se, but because foreign powers could use his anti-gay voting record and/or actual video/audio 'kompromat' to blackmail him. Indeed, he would be at even greater risk of such blackmail from his own Party Leader, having regard to Trump's penchant for financing National Enquirer 'catch and kill' projects that led to a stuffed safe of compromising stories on many people in US life.

Either of those scenarios would go a long way towards explaining Graham's astounding turn-around in respect of Trump support. .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/10/ladygraham-went-viral-not-just-because-lindsey-grahams-politics/%3foutputType=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

aloyisious wrote: »
    Is the Trump campaign deliberately using particular lyrics with the intent to generate follow-up interest in the events? "Knocking At Heavens Door" and "Fortunate Son" were played at two of his rallies this week, both containing lines and words which are ironic in content given the candidate supported by the rallies and his position on current affairs.

Given that most campaign events are planned down to the 9th degree to prevent foul-ups happening [and that includes background music themes] reflecting poorly on the candidate and campaign, I cant see the two songs above being accidental choices by a flunky in the campaign.

https://www.lyricinterpretations.com/bob-dylan/knockin-on-heavens-door
    Okay let's go with the obvious: This is the story of a law enforcement official perhaps in a small town who has rid the town of some very bad and vile vermin.

Drain the swamp ?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    If true, (and a number of media outlets including the WaPo have reported on this as recently as June) then Graham would be a prime target for counter intelligence attention. This would not be because he might be gay per se, but because foreign powers could use his anti-gay voting record and/or actual video/audio 'kompromat' to blackmail him. Indeed, he would be at even greater risk of such blackmail from his own Party Leader, having regard to Trump's penchant for financing National Enquirer 'catch and kill' projects that led to a stuffed safe of compromising stories on many people in US life.

Either of those scenarios would go a long way towards explaining Graham's astounding turn-around in respect of Trump support. .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/10/ladygraham-went-viral-not-just-because-lindsey-grahams-politics/%3foutputType=amp

HaHaha if you turn over that rock you will see plenty of democrats and republicans running for cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 5GMadeMeDoIt

enno99 wrote: »

You're using some randoms interpretation of a Bob Dylan song (a song that was written to accompany a very specific scene in a movie where Billy the Kid kills a sheriff) to make an argument?

I think we've reached peak enno99.

Looking increasingly likely that the dismissal of the Flynn case is in trouble. Abuse of power has been cited.
    https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1304450096948482048?s=19

Judge Sullivan will have no choice but to proceed to sentencing. It will be for a higher court to deal with the mess created by Barr/DOJ on appeal assuming Flynn goes down that route. If he doesn't, then Trump will have to pull the trigger on a pardon, which has been in the air for months now.

If Flynn is pardoned then Flynn will be a felon for life with all that entails. In addition, if he was ever subpoenaed as a witness in another case, where these matters were pertinent, he could never again take the 5th and could be forced by a judge to answer any related question.

In my oponion, Flynn is a traitor to his country, a self-confessed perjurer and an on going cancerous growth on the US body politic. Sadly, a 17 year old in Georgia will get years in jail for minor offenses and privileged traitors like "Lock Her Up" Flynn will probably never spend a night behind bars where he belongs. He is a disgrace to the Military uniform!

• Advertisement

You're using some randoms interpretation of a Bob Dylan song (a song that was written to accompany a very specific scene in a movie where Billy the Kid kills a sheriff) to make an argument?

I think we've reached peak enno99.

It was kinda tongue in cheek but whatever maybe if they played it backwards

It was kinda tongue in cheek but whatever maybe if they played it backwards

Fair enough. But it's really hard to tell with you.

Fair enough. But it's really hard to tell with you.
    Is the Trump campaign deliberately using particular lyrics with the intent to generate follow-up interest in the events? "Knocking At Heavens Door" and "Fortunate Son" were played at two of his rallies this week, both containing lines and words which are ironic in content given the candidate supported by the rallies and his position on current affairs.

Given that most campaign events are planned down to the 9th degree to prevent foul-ups happening [and that includes background music themes] reflecting poorly on the candidate and campaign, I cant see the two songs above being accidental choices by a flunky in the campaign.

Do you think this needed a serious response

Do you think this needed a serious response

It's a fairly innocuous question. The poster has noticed something, which in the grand scheme of things is fairly trivial, and asked others for their opinions. I don't think it 'needs' a serious or non-serious response. Either could be given.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Judge Sullivan will have no choice but to proceed to sentencing. It will be for a higher court to deal with the mess created by Barr/DOJ on appeal assuming Flynn goes down that route. If he doesn't, then Trump will have to pull the trigger on a pardon, which has been in the air for months now.

If Flynn is pardoned then Flynn will be a felon for life with all that entails. In addition, if he was ever subpoenaed as a witness in another case, where these matters were pertinent, he could never again take the 5th and could be forced by a judge to answer any related question.

In my oponion, Flynn is a traitor to his country, a self-confessed perjurer and an on going cancerous growth on the US body politic. Sadly, a 17 year old in Georgia will get years in jail for minor offenses and privileged traitors like "Lock Her Up" Flynn will probably never spend a night behind bars where he belongs. He is a disgrace to the Military uniform!

And when his case is dismissed he can reveal what he know about his time in Obamas administration

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/05/20/political-setup-of-flynn-comes-back-to-haunt-obama/

Prior to setting Flynn up as the fall guy in an attempt to damage incoming president Donald Trump, the FBI had found nothing illegal or wrong with the call since Flynn was President-elect Trump’s national security adviser and it was his duty to deal with foreign leaders..
    The phone call was not illegal in the first place, but the FBI sought in an impromptu interview to get Flynn to deviate from the transcript so they could nail him on a perjury rap.
    One of the documents released by the Justice Department are the notes of one of the questioning FBI agents asking whether their goal was “to get him (Flynn) to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired.”

In December 2017, Flynn pled guilty to lying to the FBI agents about whether he advised the Russians to moderate their response to sanctions levied in the last days of the Obama administration.
    The plea came after Flynn was financially ruined, and to ward off FBI threats to go after his son.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/05/20/political-setup-of-flynn-comes-back-to-haunt-obama/

Admiral rogers visits Trump Tower next day Trump moves everyone to NewJersey

Admiral Mike Rogers comments on General mike Flynn

Every time I see an interview discussing 2016 surveillance of the Trump Campaign and candidate Donald Trump I keep going back to that November 17th, 2016, Trump Tower visit by NSA Director Admiral Mike Rogers.

No-one in the Obama chain-of-command knew Director Rogers was going to meet with President-Elect Trump; Rogers did it entirely on his own impetus, and James Clapper was furious in the aftermath.

Additionally, Admiral Mike Rogers is still running the NSA. President Trump has made no effort to replace him.
    In hindsight, NSA Director Admiral Mike Rogers may have notified Team Trump of Obama’s Intelligence Community (James Clapper and John Brennan) involvement or engagement in surveillance activity.
    The heads of the Pentagon and the nation’s intelligence community have recommended to President Obama that the director of the National Security Agency, Adm. Michael S. Rogers, be removed.
    The recommendation, delivered to the White House last month, was made by Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter and Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper Jr., according to several U.S. officials familiar with the matter.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/03/14/more-evidence-surfaces-nsa-director-mike-rogers-did-not-aid-obamas-surveillance-scheme/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Interesting quote from General Mattis in Woodwards book
    Mattis quietly went to Washington National Cathedral to pray about his concern for the nation’s fate under Trump’s command and, according to Woodward, told Coats, “There may come a time when we have to take collective action” since Trump is “dangerous. He’s unfit.”

In a separate conversation recounted by Woodward, Mattis told Coats, “The president has no moral compass,” to which the director of national intelligence replied: “True. To him, a lie is not a lie. It’s just what he thinks. He doesn’t know the difference between the truth and a lie.”

You would wonder are the currently serving generals having similar conversations about removing Trump if he doesnt accept the election results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

When all is said and done none of them have ever done anything more than pay lip service when it comes to big talk about trump being dangerous and unfit as he obviously is and maybe they will need to take action. They do nothing in the end and allow him to swallow them as he does everyone else who passively sits in his path.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It's a fairly innocuous question. The poster has noticed something, which in the grand scheme of things is fairly trivial, and asked others for their opinions. I don't think it 'needs' a serious or non-serious response. Either could be given.

I was just thinking playing a song with the title lyrics of the 1st: Knocking On Heavens Door [an allegory to the moment of passing-on] and its other words "Ma, put my guns in the ground, I cant shoot them anymore" at one rally then playing the 2nd song [with its distinct reference to young men and service in recent - for some - U.S warfare history] at the arrival in town for a 2nd rally strange by the rally organizers given the present circumstances, however possibly just fluky and unintended.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I was just thinking playing a song with the title lyrics of the 1st: Knocking On Heavens Door [an allegory to the moment of passing-on] and its other words "Ma, put my guns in the ground, I cant shoot them anymore" at one rally then playing the 2nd song [with its distinct reference to young men and service in recent - for some - U.S warfare history] at the arrival in town for a 2nd rally strange by the rally organizers given the present circumstances, however possibly just fluky and unintended.

Personally I think it is a very interesting point. The Bob Dylan one is especially strange as it is a fairly downbeat song, verging on a dirge. Very strange pick for a campaign rally. If it had just been Fortunate Son it could be passed off as misjudged as it is at least a rollicking good upbeat song.Something similar to Reagan using Born In The USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

When all is said and done none of them have ever done anything more than pay lip service when it comes to big talk about trump being dangerous and unfit as he obviously is and maybe they will need to take action. They do nothing in the end and allow him to swallow them as he does everyone else who passively sits in his path.

Correct. At the end of the day, Trump remains in office because those with an actual say in who runs the country benefit from having an idiot in charge. That's the reality of the situation there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Muahahaha wrote: »

You would wonder are the currently serving generals having similar conversations about removing Trump if he doesnt accept the election results.

Preferably I'd hope they send a direct message to Trump and his civil advisors that there would no assistance or services provided by the U.S military branches to him in the event he decided to be an over-holder the White House residence after losing the election, all military personnel would be withdrawn from him and all military equipment withdrawn from his usage, incl access to military bases and vehicles of all classes and the weapons codes briefcase. The other federal national security services would be made aware of this as well to prevent them making any mistakes concerning said removal and denial of service to the over-holder.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

volchitsa wrote: »
    Are you joking or not here?

(It's not like this would be unusual among evangelical types, so much that it's like an immediate assumption even without evidence now, which is why I'm wondering if you've actually heard it or just decided it's as likely as anything else.)

I’m not joking. It’s something I’ve read a few times on twitter, that were taken down.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think once the Electoral College votes, the decision is what will stand and the one respected by the institutions of the state. It is they decide as per the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭blackcard

So, have I got this right? Trump calls this the China virus because they knew that there was a major problem with this outbreak but did nothing about alerting the rest of the world and, as a result of this, had caused hundreds of thousands of deaths in the world. Trump has been vitriolic in his criticism of China for this.
    Whilst now Trump says that he knew that there was a major problem with this virus which has caused the death of a couple of hundred of thousands of Americans but did not bring it to the attention of Americans because it might alarm people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

blackcard wrote: »
    So, have I got this right? Trump calls this the China virus because they knew that there was a major problem with this outbreak but did nothing about alerting the rest of the world and, as a result of this, had caused hundreds of thousands of deaths in the world. Trump has been vitriolic in his criticism of China for this.
    Whilst now Trump says that he knew that there was a major problem with this virus which has caused the death of a couple of hundred of thousands of Americans but did not bring it to the attention of Americans because it might alarm people?

Yes ,that seems right.But it was Obama's fault because he was totally unprepared for it.

The guy was a bum!

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »

Breaking News: "Nail gets hit exactly on Head by Hammer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Muahahaha wrote: »

Roger Stone recommending to Trump that he invoke martial law following the election if he doesn't believe the result is fair, which he won't.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/13/roger-stone-to-donald-trump-bring-in-martial-law-if-you-lose-election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Toeuptony wrote: »
    Roger Stone recommending to Trump that he invoke martial law following the election if he doesn't believe the result is fair, which he won't.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/13/roger-stone-to-donald-trump-bring-in-martial-law-if-you-lose-election

Wow

But when Pelosi said that Biden shouldn't concede (meaning he should wait until every ballot is counted) we had Trump supporters going crazy over her comments. This election could be the thing that tears America apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Toeuptony wrote: »

Fing hell. Wonder how his supporters will spin Trump wanting retribution instead of law and order.

Suspect if Trump attempts the above, he'll discover the military is not on his side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Roger Stone saying something does not mean Donald Trump said something.

A fact that seems to be "forgotten "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't be disingenuous. Stone is a close ally and operative for both Trump and previous GOP campaigns. Not to mention Stone's sentence was commuted by Trump. He was one of the orchestrators of the famous " brooks brothers riot" in 2000, while his rhetoric now directly reflects that of Trump's own refusal to confirm if he'd accept any election loss. Alongside the continuing attempts to colour postal voting as inherently fraudulent. Both in 2016 and now 2020. This is pertinent and relevant to a growing narrative to muddy the legitimacy of the 2020 election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Seems to be forgotten all the time in relation to Biden!

I am sure that Trump will quickly come out and state that he will respect the result, once all ballots have been counted and that the formal transfer of power, either a continuation administration or to a new administration is the very bedrock of American democracy and nothing will put that in any doubt.

Or maybe he will tweet about basements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Yup apparently when someone recommends that he does something then he is automatically going to do it, that is how a lot of posters seem to think how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Suspect if Trump attempts the above, he'll discover the military is not on his side.
    True...and In recent polls more of them are even voting for Biden

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement