Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I thought that once you are convicted of a crime in the US you lose your vote? Or is that just some states? I know Trump commuted his sentence but he didnt pardon him which means Stone is still a convicted felon.

FL now allows felons to vote... If they have money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    FL now allows felons to vote... If they have money...

How does that work?

And is it the case that under Federal law ex prisoners cannot vote ever again? Think I saw it somewhere that there are more than 2 million ex convicts who have served their sentence but are barred from voting for life.

How does that work?

And is it the case that under Federal law ex prisoners cannot vote ever again? Think I saw it somewhere that there are more than 2 million ex convicts who have served their sentence but are barred from voting for life.

No, it's up to the state.
    In Florida they changed it so that ex felons can vote.
    However the GOP managed to get it back pretty much by saying they only get the right back when all fines and costs are paid. There isn't even a straightforward way for people to check what/how much they owe.

ah right, so they chenged it but then the Reps put a wall of red tape in the way to actually voting, quelle surprise :rolleyes:

ah right, so they chenged it but then the Reps put a wall of red tape in the way to actually voting, quelle surprise :rolleyes:

Not just 'red tape'! That can be navigated! Outright insurmountable barriers were concocted to defy and stymie the will of the people and ensure Jim Crow principles would reign supreme and Damn the People!

In ANY other country, people abroad would be up in arms at the naked injustice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Laws may have changed, but dont you have to go before some sort of judge or committee and plead your case for the right to vote again. Thought I saw something on last week tonight about it before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think I might support trump on this thread for next month. Could be a bit of craic

I would be genuinely be interested to hear some real arguments for Trump, arguments that Trump himself does not override every time he opens his mouth and that can be substantiated by facts. Its about as likely as getting actual 'benefits of Brexit' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFAIK the Supreme Court ruled that ex prisoners are entitled to a vote and states must allow that. some have done nothing about it, others as said above made it like the Aintree Grand National.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Water John wrote: »
    AFAIK the Supreme Court ruled that ex prisoners are entitled to a vote and states must allow that. some have done nothing about it, others as said above made it like the Aintree Grand National.
    And the southern US has a lengthy history of using fines and the inability to pay them to disenfranchise citizens. Or worse, put them back into slavery, though that ended by the outbreak of WWII: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_by_Another_Name

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Laws may have changed, but dont you have to go before some sort of judge or committee and plead your case for the right to vote again. Thought I saw something on last week tonight about it before?

The law changed following a referendum in 2018 , but as other posters have said the GOP State House/Senate updated the rules to say that ex-felons (I think there are still restrictions for offenses like Murder etc.) can only vote when they have discharged any outstanding financial charges , fines etc.

However , there is no simple way for an ex-felon to actually find out what they owe or who they owe it to.

The department processing this stuff is massively understaffed and I saw an article saying that at current pace it's going to take nearly 3 years for them to clear the backlog of requests for voting rights restoration.

DeSantis etc. have refused point blank to increase the funding to the department , despite the fact that the staff required would be paid for many times over with the monies collected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,818 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think I might support trump on this thread for next month. Could be a bit of craic

I'm supporting Biden because I think he will be better for the country and for the world in general than Donald has been, or can be, but, to each their own.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The law changed following a referendum in 2018 , but as other posters have said the GOP State House/Senate updated the rules to say that ex-felons (I think there are still restrictions for offenses like Murder etc.) can only vote when they have discharged any outstanding financial charges , fines etc.

What sort of outstanding financial charges might an ex prisoner have on their release? Like do they have to pay for the costs of their public defender at their trial and given they have been found guilty that then follows them after prison?

I knew someone years back who got done for drink driving in Texas. Fine was about $1,000 but what really killed them was they had to engage with some anti drink driving course which cost $500 for a few hours and then engage with a probation officer from a privatised company, it was one meeting per month for six months and they had to pay $200 each and every time. It was defintely a very costly and time consuming mistake, needless to say they didnt drink drive again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What sort of outstanding financial charges might an ex prisoner have on their release? Like do they have to pay for the costs of their public defender at their trial and given they have been found guilty that then follows them after prison?

I knew someone years back who got done for drink driving in Texas. Fine was about $1,000 but what really killed them was they had to engage with some anti drink driving course which cost $500 for a few hours and then engage with a probation officer from a privatised company, it was one meeting per month for six months and they had to pay $200 each and every time. It was defintely a very costly and time consuming mistake, needless to say they didnt drink drive again.

Not altogether certain - I guess a mix of fines , court charges etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Prisoners in US have to pay for food while incarcerated too?

Some details here. It is kind of vague, but fines and restitutions, which can be anything the court decides, determine it. Public defenders and food bills, no.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article232088952.html

As is usual with Southern states, it's all about disenfranchising African-Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Igotadose wrote: »
    Some details here. It is kind of vague, but fines and restitutions, which can be anything the court decides, determine it. Public defenders and food bills, no.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article232088952.html

As is usual with Southern states, it's all about disenfranchising African-Americans.

So OJ can't vote unless he pays the Goldmans?

The Nal wrote: »
    So OJ can't vote unless he pays the Goldmans?

That trial was in California, so not relevant to Florida. Nice try though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Igotadose wrote: »
    That trial was in California, so not relevant to Florida. Nice try though.

Yeah and also thought he lived in Florida before I remembered they told him to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Trump, at today's wildfires briefing: "It'll start getting cooler. You just watch."

Wade Crowfoot, California Secretary for Natural Resources: "I wish science agreed with you."

Trump: "Well, I don't think science knows actually."

Imagine wanting to vote for someone this stupid.

Can these ex prisoners declare bankruptcy? Trump been bankrupt what 4-5 times now??

Think it is 6 times bankrupt actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump, at today's wildfires briefing: "It'll start getting cooler. You just watch."

Wade Crowfoot, California Secretary for Natural Resources: "I wish science agreed with you."

Trump: "Well, I don't think science knows actually."

Imagine wanting to vote for someone this stupid.

Imagine 43% of the population of the United States of America wanting to vote for someone that stupid. Yet, that's where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump's trying to up his support in the Hispanic/Latino community in Florida, mentioning in a speech to them "as you know a little while ago I got the Bay Of Pigs award from Cuban Americans in Miami". His staff confirmed he was given a shield back in 2016, turns out it was from Bay of Pigs veterans association after they supported his nomination. I thought it was a fake news story until I checked todays Irish Times [which confirmed the video report] and CNN afterwards as a U.S source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anybody hear the latest Woodward tapes? Trump does not have one compassionate bone in his body and only gives a **** about the stock market

And the Stock Market is Trump's version of the economy.

Headshot wrote: »
    Anybody hear the latest Woodward tapes? Trump does not have one compassionate bone in his body and only gives a **** about the stock market

Yes. Woodward gave him so much rope and he hanged himself!

The book has been widely reported on already. However, Im sure the full picture will only emerge from a complete reading.

And the Stock Market is Trump's version of the economy.

And while that is true, its very sad that, despite the economic carnage, Trump leads in recent polls on which of himself or Biden would be better for the economy. It seems like the BS and lies are sticking, and if "it's the econony, stupid" holds greatest sway in November, Trump is still in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Imagine 43% of the population of the United States of America wanting to vote for someone that stupid.

43% is fine for me. I would take it.
    Good to see 57% being wise and aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

No, it's up to the state.
    In Florida they changed it so that ex felons can vote.
    However the GOP managed to get it back pretty much by saying they only get the right back when all fines and costs are paid. There isn't even a straightforward way for people to check what/how much they owe.
    This is what Bloomberg's $100m should go towards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,007 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Billy Mays wrote: »
    This is what Bloomberg's $100m should go towards

The problem is the system does not exist to tell ex felons what, if anything, they owe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Think it is 6 times bankrupt actually.

7 if you include the United States :)

Just listened to a Trump Inc podcast from last Thursday about Rick Perry and the dodgy dealings in the Ukraine with energy department there. Below is the article in Time about it. Did this stuff go on under Obama?

https://time.com/5887230/rick-perry-deals-energy-ukraine/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement