Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

listermint wrote: »
    And prior to this announcement, GOP operatives charged with felony voter suppression in Michigan...

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1311786765439639552?s=20

Amidst some hefty competition, those two must be the dumbest operatives in the US, especially Wohl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Serious questions need to be answered here;

Hope Hicks became symptomatic en-route a campaign event on Wednesday after travelling on Marine One with POTUS and “quarantined” on Air Force One, she then returned back to D.C. and back to the White House where a test confirmed early Thursday AM she was positive.

Trump then leaves to New Jersey on Thursday with a smaller than usual team and Kayleigh McEnany does a conference that afternoon with no mask as usual etc.

Bloomberg then breaks at 8pm EST last night that Hicks is positive for COVID-19; Trump phones Hannity live an hour later and says him and FLOTUS are awaiting test results.

You’d be mistaken for thinking this is simply a huge failure in the protection of the POTUS, it’s obvious he knew about Hicks before he left for NJ.

What’s going on here?

Not sure, the timeline they have provided for how this played out doesn't really make sense to me. Again though, with this WH all things are possible including incompetence.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gmisk wrote: »
    You think China is looking at the news of trump getting Corona and thinking...now is our time to invade? Lol

Like i get the americans have procedures for these things, but the guy tweeting it is off his rocker that other countries are suddenly thinking "yeah nows when we launch the ICBMs"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

VinLieger wrote: »
    Like i get the americans have procedures for these things, but the guy tweeting it is off his rocker that other countries are suddenly thinking "yeah nows when we launch the ICBMs"

He's not thinking that, not quite sure how you got that take. He's explaining the logic behind why they've done what they've done.

Those aircraft are basically permanently in the air, they just don't have their transponders switched on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hurrache wrote: »
    I guess this must be standard protocol, but apparently 2 aircraft capable of commanding a nuclear war, 1 on each coast, have turned on their transponders to let the rest of the world know not to piss about.

https://twitter.com/TimInHonolulu/status/1311883569086623744

Is there a proper source on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

duploelabs wrote: »

CNN Homeland security correspondent Juliette Kayyem confirmed on her Twitter.

He's not thinking that, not quite sure how you got that take. He's explaining the logic behind why they've done what they've done.

Those aircraft are basically permanently in the air, they just don't have their transponders switched on.

He literally said this

It's a message to the small group of adversaries with SLBMs and ICBMs.

duploelabs wrote: »

Proper source on what, that the planes are in the air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

I guess it’s not really all that surprising, given Trump’s somewhat cavalier attitude towards wearing masks and social distancing. If someone continually drives like a lunatic, they’re almost certain to have a car crash at some stage.

I wonder will this be used as an excuse to cancel the two remaining debates. I agree with the comment made above that it would be reckless to have him and Biden on the same stage, even if they are several metres apart. I guess they could have a debate on Zoom, which would allow the moderator to use the mute button when appropriate.

Is there any news on Biden? I presume he is being tested regularly, but I would be concerned about the amount of shouting done by Trump during Tuesday’s debate.

VinLieger wrote: »
    He literally said this

Yes, he literally said that.

What he literally didn't say was that China or whoever will now think of attacking America.

You're reading waaay too much in him explaining what the US Military do in such circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It's very obviously just standard protocol when news breaks that the nation is on paper at least in a weakened state. The US has protocols for everything, I'm not gonna debate the merits or lack of merits to individual protocols they have but they have them for everything!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yes, he literally said that.

What he literally didn't say was that China or whoever will now think of attacking America.

You're reading waaay too much in him explaining what the US Military do in such circumstances.

Yeah i never claimed thats what the US military were thinking, i said i understand they have procedures, i then pointed out what i thought is the ludicrous logic of the guy tweeting about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

abff wrote: »
    I guess it’s not really all that surprising, given Trump’s somewhat cavalier attitude towards wearing masks and social distancing. If someone continually drives like a lunatic, they’re almost certain to have a car crash at some stage.

I wonder will this be used as an excuse to cancel the two remaining debates. I agree with the comment made above that it would be reckless to have him and Biden on the same stage, even if they are several metres apart. I guess they could have a debate on Zoom, which would allow the moderator to use the mute button when appropriate.

Is there any news on Biden? I presume he is being tested regularly, but I would be concerned about the amount of shouting done by Trump during Tuesday’s debate.

One thing is that the officials and medics in some states will have a lighter stress and workload with POTUS stuck indoors in Washington and not visiting them. Responses to his Covid-19 status is a reflection on him and his disregard for the health measures his White House Covid-19 team have been advising all U.S citizens to stick to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Best thing that ever 'happened' to him in his four years in office. He doesn't even have to pretend to work now.

Can he get by with no golf though is the big question.

I see he went to events after Hope Hicks started displaying symptoms. Who knows how many he spread it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I hope we don’t see national patriotism here similar to Boris when he entered ICU. It could sway an election and remains why everything with this Admin needs to be questioned the fact of events since Wednesday with Hicks needs clarification.

Boris and Trump both COVID deniers, it’s funny 3 major right wing leaders in the UK, Brazil and now US succumb to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I hope we don’t see national patriotism here similar to Boris when he entered ICU. It could sway an election and remains why everything with this Admin needs to be questioned the fact of events since Wednesday with Hicks needs clarification.

Boris and Trump both COVID deniers, it’s funny 3 major right wing leaders in the UK, Brazil and now US succumb to reality.

Even this use of the name Boris is all wrong. Johnson is scum, a wannabee Trump type driving needless division with the UK's European neighbours with his idiotic Brexit bullshít. It is concerning that so many in the electorates of the UK and US voted for those two to become Premiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,234 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You could be right.
    It seems a lot of people don't even believe he has it tbh. It could be another roll of the dice to try to boost a seriously struggling campaign who knows.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mod Note

Let's drop the conspiracy theories. There's another forum for that. If you think someone is lying about having COVID-19, you'll need to something to substantiate it beyond mere speculation.

Also, posts that consist solely or mostly of gifs, memes, tweets, videos etc are not what this forum is for. You have to make a your own contribution.

##Mod Note##

Another reminder on this.

A few below standard posts removed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Could this benefit Trumps re election campaign ? Will the nation now rally behind their sick president ? Boris's got a boost in popularity when he almost died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Could this benefit Trumps re election campaign ? Will the nation now rally behind their sick president ? Boris's got a boost in popularity when he almost died.

The state of the #IMPOTUS's health will be prime news now for the next few weeks. It's campaign gold, no spending of time or energy. It may be they 'deputize' someone like Pence to beat the hustings for awhile get the rallies praying for #IMPOTUS speedy recovery. So, I think the news associated with the #IMPOTUS illness is all good for his campaign.

Whether that sways anyone to vote for him is another question. Americans think they're kind people and will focus on the #IMPOTUS for awhile now.

The #FLOTUS will barely garner much interest she's pretty much a secret #FLOTUS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure Johnson became more popular when he was ill, just less hated. Wasn't really a lot going on politically to try and make use of him being ill, just the journalists asked how he was doing and who was running the country.

Didn't gain any political sympathy from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think Boris got a boost because it was still very early in the course of the virus, and it wasn't known how badly Boris had fluffed the initial response to the virus.

This is about seven months into the virus, most of which Trump has spent downplaying the virus, refusing to wear masks, now holding rallies against all public health advice just because it fuels his ego. I doubt he'll see much of a bump. His supporters will call him a hero, but they were largely doing that anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Penn wrote: »
    His supporters will call him a hero, but they were largely doing that anyway.

The pictures of him heroically beating up the virus with his shirt off and holding an American flag in one hand are going to be everywhere in three weeks time if he makes it through this. If he's still breathing on election day they will claim that he alone is powerful enough to beat the virus.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's hard to know - a "rally round" lift in popularity is one thing.

More people voting for you in an election that takes place in 30 days or so is maybe a bit different.

If he sits out the isolation period with no major health impact , I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference in terms of voter preference.

If he actually gets properly sick -Who knows?

Do people back away from voting for him over concerns about the health impacts post recovery or even due to the potential worse case scenario where he doesn't survive?

If he were to get properly ill and was to be in hospital on Election day - Who knows how that might impact things?

It's really impossible to tell - There are so many potential ways this could go depending on what actually happens in terms of his health.

Let's hope that to avoid all those scenarios that he just sits out the isolation tweeting away with no health impacts and is back on the Stump in a few weeks.

Trump does have a great engine for a man of his age, love him or hate him but he does have a lot of energy, how I don't know ! I suspect corona will have little effect on him. I would fear for Biden though having been so close to him for 90 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Trump does have a great engine for a man of his age, love him or hate him but he does have a lot of energy, how I don't know ! I suspect corona will have little effect on him. I would fear for Biden though having been so close to him for 90 minutes

Probably trying to spook Joe is part of the charlatans gameplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Out of the two, Trump is the highest risk from Covid. Biden is far more active and fitter than Trump and most importantly is not overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I don't know, it's clear as day that Biden is in better physical condition than Trump which is a big factor in recovery, though at their ages both would be very high risk.

The fact that he has work off for the next two weeks means one thing is guaranteed, he is going to be sat in front of the tv, tweeting crazy stuff at an extraordinary volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The fact that he has work off for the next two weeks means one thing is guaranteed, he is going to be sat in front of the tv, tweeting crazy stuff at an extraordinary volume.

His twitter output will be the gauge on how bad his infection is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement