Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

I don't know, it's clear as day that Biden is in better physical condition than Trump which is a big factor in recovery, though at their ages both would be very high risk.

What if Biden dies and Trump survives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

This is the kind of sh*te that I can’t quite fathom, how does any intelligent society not see through this bull!?

Gloating about your candidate being a super spreader this is just amazing now.

https://twitter.com/deanna4congress/status/1311918994706886656?s=21

They are loosing their minds at twitter being alive ripping Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Penn wrote: »
    I think Boris got a boost because it was still very early in the course of the virus, and it wasn't known how badly Boris had fluffed the initial response to the virus.

This is about seven months into the virus, most of which Trump has spent downplaying the virus, refusing to wear masks, now holding rallies against all public health advice just because it fuels his ego. I doubt he'll see much of a bump. His supporters will call him a hero, but they were largely doing that anyway.

I sincerely hope you're right. Americans have a history of rowing in behind their president at times of crisis. This close to the election, it could be a major issue for Biden's campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope you're right. Americans have a history of rowing in behind their president at times of crisis. This close to the election, it could be a major issue for Biden's campaign.

It's not a time of crisis, it's a self inflicted dose of Covid he has caught due to his own cavalier attitude and negligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Jack1985 wrote: »
    This is the kind of sh*te that I can’t quite fathom, how does any intelligent society not see through this bull!?

She just tweeted

"I’m just going to say what we’re all thinking.

Trump was fine until the debate, where they set up microphones & podiums for him.

Incubation period is usually 2-3 days.

He tests positive a couple of days after the debate.

I put nothing past the left. NOTHING."

Such sickness:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The lack of golfing could put a major dent in the income stream for his golf courses. As I understand it, he is not shy about jacking up the room rates for all the secret service agents who have to travel around with him.

One weird thing I noticed on twitter earlier this morning was the responses to his tweet from the far east. I was struggling to determine which country the tweets were coming from as the characters looked like a short hand version of Japanese or Chinese, but the memes attached were bizarre and obscure to my eyes. Lots were people and cartoons crouching with their bums out which seems reasonably self-explanatory, but the rest were things like photos of animals doctored to make them look anthropomorphic and standing up (dogs and goats, etc.), lots of weird demon creatures, close up of faces expressing emotions I can't even describe. Really bizarre stuff. I couldn't make head or tail of them, even when I tried to assume that they were supposed to be insulting or supportive.

I'm curious to see how the campaigning will proceed now. Could we see a teleconference debate? Will tweeting from yer man suddenly get more coherent and on message if his staff have to take over the reins while he is getting treatment? Will coherent tweets turn off the supporters who are used to incoherency that can be interpreted in any one of four ways depending on how they are feeling?

Things have certainly taken an interesting turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Jack1985 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/DeAnna4Congress/status/1311959767842250752

ok, i think it's time to give up on this for today

She is one of them Q Anon nutcases running for office aint she? https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-qanon-supporter-free-meth-20200819-yrqyewitkrd7pnniyc7psigfsa-story.html

Same Q Anon crowd were insisting that any politician who comes down with Covid is a peado, i guess the joke is on them now.

She's Gemma O'Doherty levels of crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump does have a great engine for a man of his age, love him or hate him but he does have a lot of energy, how I don't know ! I suspect corona will have little effect on him. I would fear for Biden though having been so close to him for 90 minutes

Do you know how much work he actually does in a day? How much time he spends just watching TV or driving around a golf course?

He has done the smart thing, he mad people believe that he is always busy. What is the saying "get the name of an early riser, and you can sleep in till noon"?

For his rallies, he sits on a plane, walks 100 yards, talks the same nonsense as usual for an hour, then walks back to the plane and home. Hardly a busy day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Let's speculate here and say Trump becomes incapacitated in October (be that dead, in a coma etc.) and will not be able to fulfill a second term in case of an election victory. Hence Pence steps up and becomes the president if Trump (as he'd still be on the ballot as it's to late to change) wins the election. Now would that scenario if played out be a boost for the Republicans? One the one hand the core will always vote R either way but would Trump's manic followers still vote? Would they buy into the conspiracies about Trump being "assassinated" by "insert pick between Democrats, deep state, Russia, big corporation etc." make them still go and vote for him or would they stay at home? I could easily see some republicans who'd refuse to vote Trump vote Trump now because of Pence being a more classic candidate for the party for example but on the other hand Pence has not exactly been a high profile in the election either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As I got older, I've found those who preface their thoughts - or opinions of politicians they support - with "... I'm/they're saying what we're all thinking" has acted as a useful shorthand for dismissing as wingnuts or ignorant. It's a politer way of saying "I'm a tremendous a$$hole yet lack the confidence to just own it, so will instead manufacture a 'silent majority' who share my view".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

From Russia with love... Putin specifically.

https://twitter.com/bbcmonitoring/status/1311961749294325762?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pixelburp wrote: »
    As I got older, I've found those who preface their thoughts - or opinions of politicians they support - with "... I'm/they're saying what we're all thinking" has acted as a useful shorthand for dismissing as wingnuts or ignorant. It's a politer way of saying "I'm a tremendous a$$hole yet lack the confidence to just own it, so will instead manufacture a 'silent majority' who share my view".

Another element of it is about the projection that's core to conservatism.

They see politics as a zero sum game, they assume everyone is as ruthless as they are, they can only see support for social causes as virtue signalling, because that's what they do every day with their professions of faith and moral rectitude, despite being black holes for empathy.

When someone is saying "what we're all thinking" they mean "we" to mean people who are as racist, sexist and ignorant as they are, unaware that not everyone thinks the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Penn wrote: »
    I think Boris got a boost because it was still very early in the course of the virus, and it wasn't known how badly Boris had fluffed the initial response to the virus.

This is about seven months into the virus, most of which Trump has spent downplaying the virus, refusing to wear masks, now holding rallies against all public health advice just because it fuels his ego. I doubt he'll see much of a bump. His supporters will call him a hero, but they were largely doing that anyway.

Purely on a statistical basis Trump is still more likely to make a full recovery than not. I can see him in two weeks now blowing about how it wasn't too bad, just a cold. I was right not to panic about this.... etc.
    His base will lap it up.

its the old "my Granny smoked 'til she was 90 without been sick once, therefore smoking is perfectly safe" kind of nonsense that used to be peddled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

joe40 wrote: »
    Purely on a statistical basis Trump is still more likely to make a full recovery than not. I can see him in two weeks now blowing about how it wasn't too bad, just a cold. I was right not to panic about this.... etc.
    His base will lap it up.

its the old "my Granny smoked 'til she was 90 without been sick once, therefore smoking is perfectly safe" kind of nonsense that used to be peddled

On the flip side "if" he does have it (and to me its a bit "IF") And he gets it bad like Johnson (hospitalised/ventilator etc) then the American public will see this as a weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭dogbert27

https://twitter.com/JohnCammo/status/1306863435125202946?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1306863435125202946%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.baaghitv.com%2Ftrumps-october-surprise-is-his-covid-19-update%2F

An accurate prediction from a John Cammo on September 18th! If anything Trump having Covid is going to make those who support him say it's not so bad should he make a full recovery and that lock downs, face masks are still not necessary.

On the flip side "if" he does have it (and to me its a bit "IF") And he gets it bad like Johnson (hospitalised/ventilator etc) then the American public will see this as a weakness.

Very much a big IF for me too.

eldamo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DeAnna4Congress/status/1311959767842250752

ok, i think it's time to give up on this for today

Hang on, is she suggesting "the left" infected Trump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Could this benefit Trumps re election campaign ? Will the nation now rally behind their sick president ? Boris's got a boost in popularity when he almost died.

It's possible, but given how trump has behaved and acted regarding the virus it's doubtful to draw many/any new sympathy votes.

His base is always energised, always so angry even though they won. It won't have much impact on rallying anyone else though surely.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hang on, is she suggesting "the left" infected Trump?

She isn't just suggesting it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gbear wrote: »
    Another element of it is about the projection that's core to conservatism.

They see politics as a zero sum game, they assume everyone is as ruthless as they are, they can only see support for social causes as virtue signalling, because that's what they do every day with their professions of faith and moral rectitude, despite being black holes for empathy.

When someone is saying "what we're all thinking" they mean "we" to mean people who are as racist, sexist and ignorant as they are, unaware that not everyone thinks the same way.

Right wing extremists would never use anecdotal evidence to back up their claims!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Pence had a meeting with Trump on Monday about the U.S virus pandemic situation. AFAIK, the incubation period is/can be 5 days before it's effects kick in and a test is done. I don't know what anti-infection measures both of them are using in face-to-face meetings with others indoors, especially with this virus on the loose looking for hosts.

Where the debates are concerned, the crews and mods would have to be worried. Pence is due to debate with Harris on the 7th Oct next week. As Pence is within the virus incubation time period, anyone connected to the debate by way of physical presence on the day will have to be careful on testing, and that includes the secret service security teams for both of the debaters.

Could this benefit Trumps re election campaign ? Will the nation now rally behind their sick president ? Boris's got a boost in popularity when he almost died.

Whether it's genuine or not, I think that is the plan.

He gets to stay off the campaign trail and not answer any difficult questions about the proud boys or anything, but can continue to tweet while 'self isolating'. Then a few days before the election he can re-immerge victorious. "I bet the chinese virus. It wasn't so hard. Not so hard. I've been right all along on this. The looney left want to shut down our economy over a small case of the sniffles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I’d like to say I wish him well, but I’d be telling lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Nody wrote: »
    Let's speculate here and say Trump becomes incapacitated in October (be that dead, in a coma etc.) and will not be able to fulfill a second term in case of an election victory. Hence Pence steps up and becomes the president if Trump (as he'd still be on the ballot as it's to late to change) wins the election. Now would that scenario if played out be a boost for the Republicans? One the one hand the core will always vote R either way but would Trump's manic followers still vote? Would they buy into the conspiracies about Trump being "assassinated" by "insert pick between Democrats, deep state, Russia, big corporation etc." make them still go and vote for him or would they stay at home? I could easily see some republicans who'd refuse to vote Trump vote Trump now because of Pence being a more classic candidate for the party for example but on the other hand Pence has not exactly been a high profile in the election either.

The conspiracy theorists would probably include a GOP deep state version in which it was the GOP who would benefit from Trump being done in by the virus as their own non-RINO candidate [Pence] could step up to the plate and take whatever result comes out of the ballot with a clean slate and fresh face for 2021.

fullstop wrote: »
    I’d like to say I wish him well, but I’d be telling lies.

Surely you feel sorry for the unfortunate Billionaire, super-model married, entrepreneur, struck down in the prime of life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hypothetically speaking here. Let’s say he gets very ill and is on a ventilator by Election Day. What happens then? If he were to win the election and die a few days after would pence be sworn in for 4 years?

I personally don’t think this is a hoax since the announcement made him look a right plonker after all he’s said about the virus. I also don’t think the political payoff from beating the virus would gain him much of the middle ground which he needs, and if it is a hoax I don’t think this leaky White House will be able to keep the secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking here. Let’s say he gets very ill and is on a ventilator by Election Day. What happens then? If he were to win the election and died a few days after would pence be sworn in for 4 years?

If he is on a ventilator and they STILL vote him.in......honestly, thats not a world I want to live in because that would be proof that the American people truly are stupid and I honestly don't believe that they are.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking here. Let’s say he gets very ill and is on a ventilator by Election Day. What happens then? If he were to win the election and die a few days after would pence be sworn in for 4 years?

Yes is the short answer, Pence would be president for 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There were suggestions earlier on Twitter that Johnson's illness gave him a patriotic "boost", but this has since been poo-pooed based on polls showing no real difference.

What it did was push any talk of policies and failures out of the media for a couple of weeks while the media waited breathlessly (morbidly hopeful) to see if Johnson would die in office.

This is probably what will happen here too. I can't see this giving Trump any kind of vote boost. I don't think the undecideds are stupid enough to give him a pity vote because he got sick. But it may have the effect of removing all policy and failures talk out of the media for a large chunk of October. It will be "bad form" to attack your politicial opponent while you're sick, so the Biden campaign will have to muzzle themselves.

So when it comes to "why shouldn't I vote for Trump?" questions at the start of November, some people won't be able to remember anything specifically bad and will give their vote.

That of course, will all hinge on Trump staying away from Twitter and not attacking others. Because if he does, then the muzzle can come off.

Most likely what will happen is that the Trump campaign (but not Trump himself) will double-down on running negative stories about Biden, "uplifting" stories about Trump's battle with coronavirus, while whinging about anyone who would dare to run negative stories about Trump while he's sick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement