Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MadYaker wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking here. Let’s say he gets very ill and is on a ventilator by Election Day. What happens then? If he were to win the election and die a few days after would pence be sworn in for 4 years?

If he were to win and wasn’t inaugurated then I assume it’s pence but that’s never happened I don’t think that a US president has won an election and then not lived to be inaugurated. There have been presidents who have died in office and at least one was a very brief term but from memory I don’t believe a president has died in the intervening period between election and inauguration which is only January 20th within the 20th century and used to be march and April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

seamus wrote: »
    What it did was push any talk of policies and failures out of the media for a couple of weeks while the media waited breathlessly (morbidly hopeful) to see if Johnson would die in office.

Coincidentally today the latest Conservative survey is slaughtering him on this Covid-19 handing.

https://twitter.com/CharlieCooper8/status/1311954549750616066

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The way I look at it is this

Trump held mass rallies, he encouraged his base to turn up and very few wore masks. We dont know how many people may have been infected or even died due to this.

Trump, the most protective man in the world, tested every day (apparently) has now caught Covid.

Surely now/when he recovers is the time for him to stop holding rallies like this and its time for his supporters to understand that covid is a real thing, its a real threat and they need to start wearing masks and be sensible when it comes to social distancing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If he were to win and wasn’t inaugurated then I assume it’s pence but that’s never happened I don’t think that a US president has won an election and then not lived to be inaugurated. There have been presidents who have died in office and at least one was a very brief term but from memory I don’t believe a president has died in the intervening period between election and inauguration which is only January 20th within the 20th century and used to be march and April.

No, they've all survived at least to the inauguration. William Henry Harrison died in 1841 a month after giving the longest inaugural address, in February in the Winter in DC. Harrison was succeeded by John Tyler. Amazingly two of Tyler's grandsons were still alive as of 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What a week.

1. Tax revelations..remember those last year...I mean last weekend...!
    2. A debate straight from the gutter
    3. Rounds it all off by catching C19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

It is obviously early days but he could simply end up asymptomatic and recover OK.

But given his aversion to mask wearing, it is likely he has infected a lot of other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Given his profile his chances of complications are high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Chris Christie said they're were 5/6 of them together, without masks in the small map room prepping Trump for the debate. Twice on Monday and also Tuesday morning. MAcEnanny gave the press conf knowing that Hicks a close contact of hers was symptomatic, reckless endangerment.
    Trump went to the rally and an in a room meeting in NJ knowing he was a close contact.
    The WH tried to conceal as to when Hope Hicks tested positive.
    These are the people in charge of the US. For God's sake, kick them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

If he has passed it on to Pence and they both are incapacitated, would Pelosi be able to withdraw Barrett's nomination to the supreme court?

Munchin, a close contact, met with Pelosi also, FFS.

• Advertisement

If he has passed it on to Pence and they both are incapacitated, would Pelosi be able to withdraw Barrett's nomination to the supreme court?

I’ve no idea and that’s getting into the fine parchment of the us constitution and laws and the like that a few miles down the proverbial road.

I’ve no idea and that’s getting into the fine parchment of the us constitution and laws and the like that a few miles down the proverbial road.

Of course, but this is a forum not real life. Chances are he'll be fine and hasn't passed it on to anybody other than Melenia. Maybe their relationship isn't as bad as people say assuming one of them caught it of the other.

Water John wrote: »

A sh1tshow if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Chris Christie said they're were 5/6 of them together, without masks in the small map room prepping Trump for the debate. Twice on Monday and also Tuesday morning. MAcEnanny gave the press conf knowing that Hicks a close contact of hers was symptomatic, reckless endangerment.
    Trump went to the rally and an in a room meeting in NJ knowing he was a close contact.

Yes completely true.
    This timeline is disgraceful.
    They knew they were very close contacts of someone who was symptomatic and they never adjusted their behaviours. They continued to meet people in large numbers without masks.
    Their behaviour should be addressed.

I hope McEnanny is asked about directly about why they behaved as they did.

Cowboys Ted, cowboys. Carry on regardless was a funny carry film but that’s not a good way to run a country. So Chris Christie is probably a close contact and his family may have unnecessary exposed to this virus.

I assume there is a plan for the us government being in quarantine or some other type of situation where there is reason for them to be incapacitated ? I mean what eijits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/covid-relief-bill-pelosi-mnuchin-counteroffer/
    They had a 90 minute meeting on Wednesday.

What a sh1tshow.

Of course, but this is a forum not real life. Chances are he'll be fine and hasn't passed it on to anybody other than Melenia. Maybe their relationship isn't as bad as people say assuming one of them caught it of the other.

I don’t see how them both catching Covid -19 is a reflection one way or the other of their married life. You don’t have to be that close to catch this thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's fuzzy in the constitution. POTUS nominates, the Senate confirms. The constitution says 'appoints' with the advice and consent of the Senate, so it could be the case that
    1) Nomination trundles along
    2) Trump and Pence incapacitated, Pelosi becomes acting POTUS
    3) Senate approves
    4) Pelosi refuses to appoint. Lawsuits fly, go up to the current SCOTUS, which doesn't resolve till after the Inauguration. Or something

So, fun stuff. A President has never withdrawn a nomination that late - other candidates *have* been nominated and withdrawn before the Senate takes up the process, the most recent being the massively unqualified Harriet Myers that GWB nominated, she never got to the Judicial Committee stage, senior GOP senators took Bush behind the woodshed for that. Gave us John Roberts instead, he was qualified at least, unlike Myers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

There is a telling photo circulating from the debate on Tuesday night.

Jill Biden is wearing a mask and in contrast none of Trump's entourage are wearing a mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Regardless of ones standing on Trump, he is currently the POTUS and yet it appears that the systems allowed a person with the infection to remain around him for a number of days.

Serious questions need to asked about how this was allowed to happen. Why was Hope not tested more regularly, where did she get it from, how many potential infections within the WH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Regardless of ones standing on Trump, he is currently the POTUS and yet it appears that the systems allowed a person with the infection to remain around him for a number of days.

Serious questions need to asked about how this was allowed to happen. Why was Hope not tested more regularly, where did she get it from, how many potential infections within the WH?

Because the whole thing is a Democrat hoax from China, and Americans have the freedom not to wear masks or not gather in large crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

If he is on a ventilator and they STILL vote him.in......honestly, thats not a world I want to live in because that would be proof that the American people truly are stupid and I honestly don't believe that they are.

After voting him in in the first place you honestly don't think those who voted for him aren't truly stupid? We already know the stupidity they are capable of replicated by the UK electorate.

Testing is not a substitute for taking preventative measures. The horse has long bolted by the time you test positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Backs up what I was saying about him being prepped for the debate despite his bravado and protestations.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It highlights the serial incompetence on display in this admin.

Not only that Trump was exposed, but that Trump, Pence, Mnuchin and other senior admin officials were not only exposed, that there was significant lag between Hicks being confirmed positive and all other officials being informed.

The idea of Potus and V.Potus building redundancy into the leadership structure is blown out of the water if they are meeting unmasked after potential exposure.

Sheer idiocy, and broadcast to the world.

Maybe Trump might take some of his own advice of drinking bleach to kill the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was allowed to happen because the US system has come to idolise it's psuedo-regal "Commander-in-chief" nonsense.

If the President declares that public health measures don't apply inside the White House, then everyone obeys. Because he's in charge, and their entire system is based on following orders.

If Micheál Martin declared that nobody had to wear mask in his office and social distancing rules didn't apply, the first thing that would happen is that the media would absolutely slaughter him for it, his staff would refuse to come into work and his colleagues would all go on the record calling on him to stand down.

They won't do this in the US. They'll raise an eyebrow, but they'll also say, "He's the boss, what he says, goes".

Trump has shown this throughout his Presidency. Systems and safegards take second precedent to following orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

https://twitter.com/femi_sorry/status/1311979969199964160?s=21

It had to happen, the Democrats are now being blamed for giving it to him in some quarters

This narrative will probably catch on now with some groups. Probably the same groups who claim it’s a hoax anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

eldamo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DeAnna4Congress/status/1311959767842250752

ok, i think it's time to give up on this for today

That has to be the most batsh*t crazy thing that anyone has said so far this month. But the month has only just begun, so I’m confident there will loads of even crazier sh*t to come.

• Advertisement

What a nasty bitch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement