Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,142 ✭✭✭✭briany

Speaking of lunatics, one of the QAnon conspiracies was that any politician who gets Covid is a paedo.

I guess they are in a bind now.

To be honest, I couldn't bring myself to go so deep into QAnon lore to verify this thread of their, er, tapestry, but if what you're saying is true, then it probably wouldn't matter to the authors of the theory, they'd just change it and the followers would change right alongside in a "we've always been at war with East Asia" type of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Speaking of lunatics, one of the QAnon conspiracies was that any politician who gets Covid is a paedo.

Nah, they'll be spinning a story about how it was a strain of the virus specifically designed to infect the White House or something. With conspiracy theories it's all about finding convoluted ways of arriving at an explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I've already seen one Trump voter on Sky News rambling on about the physical strength and unparalleled fitness of Trump compared to Boris Johnson, and saying that Trump will brush off the virus like a fly.

These people are beyond redemption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I've already seen one Trump voter on Sky News rambling on about the physical strength and unparalleled fitness of Trump compared to Boris Johnson, and saying that Trump will brush off the virus like a fly.

These people are beyond redemption.

Stuff like this always reminds of Alex Jones modelling for his health supplements and his followers saying how he's an example of peak fitness. Won't put up the pictures of a topless Alex Jones here to save you having to pour bleach in your eyes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It also speaks of a final form of the cult like adoration towards Trump. If he passed from CoVid - and I genuinely hope he recovers that goes without saying - it will essentially martyr him and the narrative will quickly arrange itself to become about Saint Trump succumbing to that which he fought. Regan was positively worshipped in the years since his own passing from this Earth; the way things are going with Trump's supporters I think however it ends for him, he'll be venerated either way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A couple of thoughts that I've had reading the various new items in the last 24 hours.

Any theories of this being a hoax are surely shattered now. The sheer number of people in the orbit testing positive is cripplingly damaging to his campaign. It's basically proving everything that people have said about the impact of the cavalier attitude of his administration to the Virus.

The SCOTUS nomination is now potentially at risk. There are already two GOP Senators with Positive tests so they won't be around to vote for at least 2 weeks and if any more were to go down they might not have the numbers. Not sure when the last sitting of the Senate is before the election, but they must be seriously running out of time.

The QAnon looneys are now taking to spinning Trump being taken to hospital as being his Alibi for when there is a mass assassination
    of all the Paedo Democrats this weekend.

This is the group that 17 Republican members of Congress refused to denounce by voting against a motion in Congress condemning the group.

Seriously???

Has there ever been a single more damaging 24hrs to a political campaign than this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,944 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I really hope he doesn't die, for law and justice to prevail, he needs to rot in prison, while himself and whole family are bankrupted by their criminal carry on

Trumpism needs to be exposed for a failed cult/ideology it is. So future generations think twice before embracing charlatans.

The only thing from above thats going to happen is that he'll die

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    A couple of thoughts that I've had reading the various new items in the last 24 hours.

Any theories of this being a hoax are surely shattered now. The sheer number of people in the orbit testing positive is cripplingly damaging to his campaign. It's basically proving everything that people have said about the impact of the cavalier attitude of his administration to the Virus.

The SCOTUS nomination is now potentially at risk. There are already two GOP Senators with Positive tests so they won't be around to vote for at least 2 weeks and if any more were to go down they might not have the numbers. Not sure when the last sitting of the Senate is before the election, but they must be seriously running out of time.

The QAnon looneys are now taking to spinning Trump being taken to hospital as being his Alibi for when there is a mass assassination
    of all the Paedo Democrats this weekend.

This is the group that 17 Republican members of Congress refused to denounce by voting against a motion in Congress condemning the group.

Seriously???

Has there ever been a single more damaging 24hrs to a political campaign than this?

If you were dealing with rational people then yes, but these people have shown time and time again that they just don't care or will believe anything.

briany wrote: »
    To be honest, I couldn't bring myself to go so deep into QAnon lore to verify this thread of their, er, tapestry, but if what you're saying is true, then it probably wouldn't matter to the authors of the theory, they'd just change it and the followers would change right alongside in a "we've always been at war with East Asia" type of way.

It started on an anonymous internet forum ffs; 4chan. I could go on there right now and make up a load of bull****. Allegedly Q comes back stating more nonsense every once in a while. How can any of this be verified. I cannot believe any weight has been put into it. 4chan is known for large scale pranks. I'm convinced this is one of them. Well it was initially conceived as one. It's the ultimate trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I really hope he doesn't die, for law and justice to prevail, he needs to rot in prison, while himself and whole family are bankrupted by their criminal carry on

Trumpism needs to be exposed for a failed cult/ideology it is. So future generations think twice before embracing charlatans.

Without doubt, theres 17 legal cases sitting there waiting to begin when he gets voted out of the White House. James Comey has left behind in the FBI an unsealed indictment that names Trump as a co-conspirator in the Russian collusion. I want to see Trump around when that gets opened and he is charged with treason.

• Advertisement

It started on an anonymous internet forum ffs; 4chan. I could go on there right now and make up a load of bull****. Allegedly Q comes back stating more nonsense every once in a while. How can any of this be verified. I cannot believe any weight has been put into it. 4chan is known for large scale pranks. I'm convinced this is one of them. Well it was initially conceived as one. It's the ultimate trolling.

Yes, the basic question around QAnon is what has 'Q' done to prove beyond doubt that who they say they are? And if they have done nothing to this end, then is it not that supporters of this person, or persons, are starting from an assumption, i.e. something they hold to be true despite a lack of direct evidence, and then work from there? What can a theory be worth that starts from an assumption? Not much.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Without doubt, theres 17 legal cases sitting there waiting to begin when he gets voted out of the White House. James Comey has left behind in the FBI an unsealed indictment that names Trump as a co-conspirator in the Russian collusion. I want to see Trump around when that gets opened and he is charged with treason.

Really bad idea to go after Trump right after he gets voted out (and that's even assuming this happens). A bad idea because early November is looking pretty likely to be an extraordinarily tense time in the history of the U.S., and if Trump is voted out and then is charged with a multitude of crimes, he could of course be looking at a huge amount of jail time way beyond his natural life. At that point, he could play his last card - tell every one of his supporters that this is a leftist coup and make a call to arms and the 2nd American revolution. He, of course, wouldn't give a f___ about the kind of chaos this creates, but I can't think Joe Biden, who is campaigning on bringing a sense of normality back, would want that kind of maelstrom.

There may be calmer ways to punish Trump, or there may not, but I think the best thing to do is let Trump make the first move because if you move on him first, it gives him more excuse to play the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

briany wrote: »
    Really bad idea to go after Trump right after he gets voted out (and that's even assuming this happens). A bad idea because early November is looking pretty likely to be an extraordinarily tense time in the history of the U.S., and if Trump is voted out and then is charged with a multitude of crimes, he could of course be looking at a huge amount of jail time way beyond his natural life. At that point, he could play his last card - tell every one of his supporters that this is a leftist coup and make a call to arms and the 2nd American revolution. He, of course, wouldn't give a f___ about the kind of chaos this creates, but I can't think Joe Biden, who is campaigning on bringing a sense of normality back, would want that kind of maelstrom.

There may be calmer ways to punish Trump, or there may not, but I think the best thing to do is let Trump make the first move because if you move on him first, it gives him more excuse to play the victim.

I expect that the charges will be filed after the inauguration. No point contending with the DOJ who will circle the wagons around the #IMPOTUS for as long as they can.

Biden can't control the States, but at least Federal charges will take some time. I am hoping Attorney General Schiff does a good job of them once he's in office ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

classy guys real classy the man is in a hospital bed yet ye still cant hold back.. says more about ye 2 b honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

classy guys real classy the man is in a hospital bed yet ye still cant hold back.. says more about ye 2 b honest.

Being in hospital doesn't stop you being a criminal magically!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

You mustn't be a fan of the president then, seeing as he's been at this type of classy behavour since the media took note of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What does it have to do with discussion of his potentially massive legal issues and financial problems he seems to face once he's out of office?

Respect goes both ways tbh anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yup and maybe he will die, who cares? it is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Why would I pretend to care about him suddenly?
    That would be hypocritical and false of me, but I'm not a Christian and I don't do that

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Has anyone figured out what will happen if he pops his clogs? Reading a few University law lecturers on Twitter saying it'll basically be a huge mess and may fall back on archaic parts of the constitution and that the process would likely be vulnerable to a massive amount of political gaming from both sides. There are some posters here with a decent knowledge of the US constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Regarding being treated with Remdesivir, here are some comments from leading doctors in the US. Vinay Prasad is probably the world's expert on science-based medicine and is a strong advocate for randomized control trials for all medications, plus a very sharp critic of the US healthcare system and pharmecutical companies:

"It is bad science, bad medicine and bad ethics to give unproven things to powerful people that you don't give to average people," added Vinay Prasad, an associate professor of Medicine at the University of California San Francisco."

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-we-know-about-the-antibody-treatments-trump-is-getting-for-covid-19

MadYaker wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out what will happen if he pops his clogs? Reading a few University law lecturers on Twitter saying it'll basically be a huge mess and may fall back on archaic parts of the constitution and that the process would likely be vulnerable to a massive amount of political gaming from both sides. There are some posters here with a decent knowledge of the US constitution.

Depends when he dies:

#1 Prior to the election - GOP select a new candidate with the same people voting as at the convention. Issues - Votes have already been cast, ballots can't be changed etc.

#2 After the election - 4 years of Pence if Trump wins, Pence fills in til the Inauguration if Biden wins.

I assume you mean if he dies before the election day? The election has begun, 2.9 million votes had been cast up to last night, too late to change the ticket at this stage but there can be a change after election day but before inauguration day iirc or maybe that was if he died between the two. Pence will be the republican nominee and he will choose a vice president if he wins the election. It is not mandated that way, they could select someone else but in reality they won't.

If not, doesn't matter. Odds are not in favour of him dropping from covid, but given that his preexisting condition, like his tax returns (from the most transparent president ever) are not disclosed we don't know what that is or the complications it may bring.

For all intents and purposes your voting for a trump/Pence ticket. If the head of the ticket dies the bottom steps up as he would if the head of the ticket dies in office. You'd have president Pence. If they win the election, simplest way around any of the potential mess if trump dies is just make sure the democratic vote gets turned out and Biden wins the election.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I assume you mean if he dies before the election day? The election has begun, 2.9 million votes had been cast up to last night, too late to change the ticket at this stage but there can be a change after election day but before inauguration day iirc or maybe that was if he died between the two. Pence will be the republican nominee and he will choose a vice president if he wins the election.

This is completely wrong, the GOP will vote to choose a new candidate at the top of the ticket, which while likely to be Pence is not guaranteed.

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is completely wrong, the GOP will vote to choose a new candidate at the top of the ticket, which while likely to be Pence is not guaranteed.

I edited my post after re reading it to make it clearer what I mean.

No GIF's please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Another senator Ron Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus so that’s the third republican but he’s not on the judiciary committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Inquitus wrote: »

The relationship between Pence and Trump isn't the normal President/VP relationship imo. Trump supporters have no interest in Pence, he's purely there to shore up the white evangelical vote and I'm not sure he'd be able to carry the flag for the Trump movement if you know what I mean. It's essentially a personality cult, it's not based on policy or anything like that so I'm not sure who would be able to pick up Trump's mantle and run with it.

The relationship between Pence and Trump isn't the normal President/VP relationship imo. Trump supporters have no interest in Pence, he's purely there to shore up the white evangelical vote and I'm not sure he'd be able to carry the flag for the Trump movement if you know what I mean. It's essentially a personality cult, it's not based on policy or anything like that so I'm not sure who would be able to pick up Trump's mantle and run with it.

Aye they could decide to parachute in Ivanka or something crazy, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭abff

I said in an earlier post on this thread that Trump’s illness would be a real test of the extent to which he had brought us down to his level.

I don’t believe that Trump is worthy of a lot of respect - his behaviour over the last four years has been so deplorable that it’s not really all that surprising that a lot of people are relishing seeing him suffer.

But we should respect ourselves by behaving in a more civilised way than the man himself would. We don’t know what the outcome of Trump’s illness will be, but I think we should wait to see how things develop before speculating on what might happen if he doesn’t get re-elected.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement